Weight loss ups and downs - 800 Calorie - Newcastle

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I served it with konjac rice!
Konjac is a type of root and that’s used to make rice, pasta, noodles etc. Almost all konjac products are zero carb and very low calorie but some aren’t because they’re made with additional tofu.
Shiritaki noodles are exactly the same thing.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Another great milestone broken. Well done Colin!

Snoozy Lou

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Well done @ColinUK! You have made such good progress! I have been following this thread for a while. You have inspired me to give the shakes a go. It's been a few weeks now and it was a great decision! I am using the Tesco ones but may have to give the exante ones a try!

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Snoozy Lou and thank you for your support.

The Tesco ones are OK but I got really bored with the limited flavours! How are you getting on with them?

Snoozy Lou

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
Hi @Snoozy Lou and thank you for your support.

The Tesco ones are OK but I got really bored with the limited flavours! How are you getting on with them?
I really like the vanilla and chocolate ones but they are out of stock a lot! At £4 for a box of 10 they are great for my budget! Am 7 weeks in now though so they are getting really boring! I decided to have a small low carb meals at the weekends to break it up a bit! I have lost about 21lbs so far but trying not to focus too much on the numbers! I get a bit obsessed and I have a long way to go!

zuludog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well done Colin!

My Exante box came yesterday, but so far all I've had is a sachet of chicken soup
It was OK,but fairly bland, so at least it wasn't so unpleasant that i had to force myself to eat it

By the end of today I will have finished all my existing fresh food, so later i'll go and buy ingredients just for Roy Taylor's Step 1 recipes

My plan is to have a shake for breakfast; Exante meals for dinner; and RTR = Roy Taylor Recipe for tea

I'm a bit hungry sometimes, but nothing I can't manage
Another thing that's a bit difficult is resisting the temptation to keep weighing myself all the time!

zuludog

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I really like the vanilla and chocolate ones but they are out of stock a lot! At £4 for a box of 10 they are great for my budget! Am 7 weeks in now though so they are getting really boring! I decided to have a small low carb meals at the weekends to break it up a bit! I have lost about 21lbs so far but trying not to focus too much on the numbers! I get a bit obsessed and I have a long way to go!
As you might have seen I have just started this sort of diet
It looks to me that all these sort of meal replacement powders are very much alike nutritionally
As well as ordering from Exante I had a browse round the local shops and got a few different brands - Slimfast, Slender Plan, which is Superdrug's own brand; and a couple from Holland & Barret
Some are sachets, some are bulk powder in a tub with a plastic measuring scoop
Some were on offer; at the moment Boots have a BOGOF on all dieting products, including powders & bars

All the powders are very sweet; I add a spoonful of natural yogurt to reduce the sickliness which also make them thicker

Last edited:

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As you might have seen I have just started this sort of diet
It looks to me that all these sort of meal replacement powders are very much alike nutritionally
As well as ordering from Exante I had a browse round the local shops and got a few different brands - Slimfast, Slender Plan, which is Superdrug's own brand; and a couple from Holland & Barret
Some are sachets, some are bulk powder in a tub with a plastic measuring scoop
Some were on offer; at the moment Boots have a BOGOF on all dieting products, including powders & bars

All the powders are very sweet; I add a spoonful of natural yogurt to reduce the sickliness which also make them thicker
I add the odd thing like a spoonful of coffee or cocoa. Sometimes I might add a few goji berries or chia seeds. Always, ALWAYS, I add ice.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well done Colin!

My Exante box came yesterday, but so far all I've had is a sachet of chicken soup
It was OK,but fairly bland, so at least it wasn't so unpleasant that i had to force myself to eat it

By the end of today I will have finished all my existing fresh food, so later i'll go and buy ingredients just for Roy Taylor's Step 1 recipes

My plan is to have a shake for breakfast; Exante meals for dinner; and RTR = Roy Taylor Recipe for tea

I'm a bit hungry sometimes, but nothing I can't manage
Another thing that's a bit difficult is resisting the temptation to keep weighing myself all the time!
So weigh yourself. You’ll be amazed how much your weight jumps around during the day.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
They’re great value but the exante ones aren’t bad value either. They’re all pretty much 200-210 calories and are obviously full meal replacement products. They can be a little sweet (I only have the shakes) and some of the meals are reportedly disgusting but the weight comes off and I’m really rarely hungry. Peckish perhaps, but not hungry.

If you do want to try the exante products there are always offers on and you can get a further discount if you use my referral link. It also gets me a bit of money off too and as I’m not working (thanks COVID-19) every penny helps!

https://www.exantediet.com/referrals.list?applyCode=COLIN-R91

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Walked ten miles yesterday. Stuck to shakes and was definitely in calorie deficit. Put weight on

And today I’m really craving bread. None of the local supermarkets have any of the lower carb options I’ve seen others post about so I either cave and have a baguette or I lock myself in and ride the craving out.

Help!!!

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have the Exante shake powders with milk and I know you're supposed to have them with water? I don't think they mix as well as the SlimFast ones. They remain powdery and gritty compared to the SlimFasts. I will start trying others now I've read this thread.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have the Exante shake powders with milk and I know you're supposed to have them with water? I don't think they mix as well as the SlimFast ones. They remain powdery and gritty compared to the SlimFasts. I will start trying others now I've read this thread.
I started them with milk then switched to water. I find they mix better with water and ice but sometimes I still treat myself to one whizzed up with milk (and ice) but it’s more likely to be almond milk than diary these days.

Do you have a blender or do you do them by hand?

Snoozy Lou

Relationship to Diabetes
Other Type
@ColinUK step away from the bread aisle!
I am gluten intolerant so it's more like punishment for me! What is your favourite low carb comfort snack along side this diet?

@Ditto you use a blender to mix your shakes? I find that helps especially if you have one that crunches up ice.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Colin, lock that door and hide the key!
If you are anything like me, one you start on the carbs your body just craves more.
If necessary, find something low carb to munch on instead like a nice chunk of cheese or head out for another walk or get stuck into a good book and have a large glass of water.
You have done fantastically well so far, so we know that you can beat this thing.
I am just battling with a craving myself so I am going to go out there and harvest a big handful of chard from the garden and cook myself a rump steak to go with it.
I need to get into a routine of eating more proper meals as I have been tempted to eat breakfast and then snack a bit on low carb stuff through the day and then either eat very late or just snack again at bedtime. I must be more disciplined. I always feel so much better when I have had a proper plate of food with lots of veggies.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Colin, lock that door and hide the key!
If you are anything like me, one you start on the carbs your body just craves more.
If necessary, find something low carb to munch on instead like a nice chunk of cheese or head out for another walk or get stuck into a good book and have a large glass of water.
You have done fantastically well so far, so we know that you can beat this thing.
I am just battling with a craving myself so I am going to go out there and harvest a big handful of chard from the garden and cook myself a rump steak to go with it.
I need to get into a routine of eating more proper meals as I have been tempted to eat breakfast and then snack a bit on low carb stuff through the day and then either eat very late or just snack again at bedtime. I must be more disciplined. I always feel so much better when I have had a proper plate of food with lots of veggies.
I’m out of cheese, have no chocolate in (85% minimum but likely to be 90%+).
I do have double cream so I’m going to have a coffee and then go for a walk.

This afternoon I’m updating my CV and sending it off for a job I did years ago (telephone fundraising) but needs must and all that.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well done that man! Very impressive!
What amazes me is just how little food we actually need if we can distract our brain from that craving.