Signs of growing older

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know you're getting older when your bank sends you its free calendar.

One month at a time.....

Someone asked me for directions today.
I walked off the other way to her, and noticed she's missed the first turning and was walking the wrong way entirely.
Cue my running after her.

Old age - realising a mum with a pram walks only very slightly slower than I can run now, and having to get my breathe back before I can gasp out the right way to her! :rofl:

Ex girlfriends come up on Facebook. (Either as suggested “people I may know” or friends of old friends.) No reason to reconnect. & they look like their mum. (Vaguely like they used to.) Hey, no judgement, I realise I look like both my parents.
Problem is “one” in particular. Her mum came on to me. I politely declined at “Mrs Robinson” at the time. The mum was drunk.

We respectfully (actually “I”) keep our distance. The “history” gets longer.

You know your getting old when -

You and your teeth no longer sleep in the same bed at night...

You hear yourself talking to your children and you think you sound just like your mother....

You know when you're getting older when your favourite kind of plans are cancelled ones....

They say 40 is the new 30
and 50 is the new 40
But all I know is that the older I get, the more 9 pm is the new midnight.

You don't really realise how old you are until you sit on the floor and then you try to get up!!

You get up in the middle of the night to take the Gabapentin (for phantom pain) that you forgot before bed but then take your morning meds including Furosemide (water tablet)! Then can't get back to sleep as you are peeing every 20 - 30 minutes for over two hours. Not sure where it all comes from as having been in bed with leg raised there was no sign of oedema and I only had two cups of tea in that time! :(

Finally old enough to do anything I want, but too tired to do anything about it.

You get up in the middle of the night to take the Gabapentin (for phantom pain) that you forgot before bed but then take your morning meds including Furosemide (water tablet)! Then can't get back to sleep as you are peeing every 20 - 30 minutes for over two hours. Not sure where it all comes from as having been in bed with leg raised there was no sign of oedema and I only had two cups of tea in that time! :(
Sorry about laughing at your misfortunes. I have my own problems with meds, so readily identify with your struggles.

You use the word "thingy" all the time because you can no longer remember what things are called.

And here's me doing yet another routine bowel cancer screening test and happily bunging it in the post literally on the way to the Mway to go off in our Moho for Coronation weekend with friends on a site near Monmouth, returning on Tuesday and having my retinopathy screening and getting a letter this week telling me the poo sample indicated summat up so I may need a colonoscopy - but rather than just arranging that I got a hospital appointment next Monday with an 'adviser' to discuss.

Ehh? Err, what's to discuss until you know if there really is anything that needs summat doing about it?

Is it just me? I watched the second part of the Eurovision song contest last night and I couldn't believe that there
wasn't one single song that I liked on it!! Am I getting old or what.

Thinking policemen/teachers/doctors look really young and half of them should be still in school.

I was in a cafe the other day and the fussy, bright, highly trained, young lady at the till asked me if I needed help carrying my tray (with a cup, tea pot and milk jug) to a table. I was on the point of demonstrating my familiarity with the foul mouthed vernacular of modern youth when I though better of it and simply replied "No thank -you".

If that is not a sign of growing old from several different angles, I don't know what is.

They say you’re as young as you feel, but sometimes you feel like a creaky old door that needs oiling.

I was in a cafe the other day and the fussy, bright, highly trained, young lady at the till asked me if I needed help carrying my tray (with a cup, tea pot and milk jug) to a table. I was on the point of demonstrating my familiarity with the foul mouthed vernacular of modern youth when I though better of it and simply replied "No thank -you".

If that is not a sign of growing old from several different angles, I don't know what is.
She meant it kindly, I'm sure! It would be horrid to 'slap her down' by feeling insulted (or patronised?). You could always say that carrying trays these counts as weight training for you!!! (Mild sarcasm!!)

Mind you, the one thing I hate about being an 'oldie' when it comes to being patronised is being called 'dear'.....again, they mean it to be 'kindly' etc, but it is simply patronising and condescending (when used in that way). Of course, it can be that oldies call everyone else 'dear' a lot themselves!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back