Signs of growing older

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know she did @Callista. It was my internal reaction moving from one extreme to the other that I thought was the sign of getting older. Another 10 years, with a bit of brain fade creeping in, and I might come out with my first reaction. I wonder if the young lady had been trained to cope with that!

Being old is having your own recliner and if an emergency were to happen hard luck as it takes an age to get your feet on the floor again plus you have to move the laptop, your cuppa and a cat first. Don't even bother knocking on the front door. :rofl:

The older you get, the more you realize that you can’t change the past. But you can always learn
from it.....…if you can remember it that is.

It was my internal reaction moving from one extreme to the other that I thought was the sign of getting older.

I think we all forget we are getting old, and when we remember it can take us aback. I can remember my late mother in law saying that every time she saw herself in the mirror she got a shock at seeing an 'old lady' - she had no idea she was one.....!

The older you get, the more you realize that your bucket list is just a list of things you don’t want to do anymore.

Or just haven't the energy!!!! (eg, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or similar...)
Wouldn't have been on mine in the first place! I've always been pretty lazy really, although there have been a few times I've enjoyed the view from the top, eg the wall around Dubrovnik, after Tito died but before hostilities commenced. Snowdon. Bell Tower at Seville cathedral. Various towers etc at various castles. The 'fort rampart' - literally just one wall - on the old film set just outside Almeria. Parts of the Alhambra. Tibidabo, gazing down on Barcelona. Heights of Abraham at Matlock. I looked up at the top of the dune de Pilat, and said I shan't bother, thanks.

Wouldn't have been on mine in the first place!
You have no idea what you are missing! I have a number of Alpinists friends who took me up several European peaks above 4,000 metres, Photos and/or Tv documentaries cannot really capture the experience, it is a completely different world!

Or just haven't the energy!!!! (eg, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro or similar...)
You and me both, even just a couple of years ago, I was actively planning/budgeting for a solo-circumnavigation. I reckoned that for about £30,000 or £40,000 I could have got an old Rustler in need of some TLC along with the appropriate training and still have had about £10,000 left over to cover incidental expenses and emergencies. Sadly, recently, I have been forced to recognise that this is one item on my bucket list which is never going to happen.

By the way, many ski stations will take foot passengers up to the top of a mountain. I particularly recommend Glencoe, the view of the Black Mountain and across Rannoch Moor to Ben Nevis has got to be seen to be believed.

Another good one is the Gondola at La Grave. Th top station is at the 4,000 metre mark, so, even if you are only going to walk a couple of hundred metres to the glacier, you need to be aware of symptoms and dangers of altitude sickness, but man....

Edit: I just checked. while the summit is above 4,000 metres, the top station itself is only 3,200. However, what I said about altitude sickness is still true. I used to ski there a lot and am only to well aware of the dangers of physical exertion at that altitude.

Last edited:
I used to go (gentle!) hillwalking, and my SIL said she couldn't understand the point of walking up and hill and then back down again.

Mind you, the one I wouldn't like to do is the Grand Canyon - the 'easy' bit going down, and then the hellish climb back out again when I'm tired. No thanks!

But there is something magical about being somewhere, wherever it is, where a car can't reach....

The older you get, the more you realize that you don’t have to be rich to be happy.
You just need a comfortable pair of shoes.”

The past few years of going to gigs to see my favourite bands, I've left that night with my legs and back killing me and getting home or to my hotel afterwards thinking "never again am I standing at the front, either seated or at the back from now on"

I never learn and I do the same thing next time: down the front once again.

In light of turning 40 and my diagnosis of type 1 since the last gig I attended and that I have one coming up in less than 2 weeks, I may actually have to hold myself to this now!

By the way, many ski stations will take foot passengers up to the top of a mountain. I particularly recommend Glencoe, the view of the Black Mountain and across Rannoch Moor to Ben Nevis has got to be seen to be believed.
Ooh, we did that last year! Fantastic views. I did think it was cheating a bit, but we had just climbed up to the Hidden Valley and back, so felt I'd earned my place on the chair lift.
I used to ski (met my husband on a skiing hol) but now we are 'of a certain age' we go to ski resorts in the summer, and use the lifts for walking. We are off to the Dolomites in July.

You know you’re getting old when you start to forget your own name. But at least you can still remember the lyrics to your favourite song from the 70s.

Ageing is like a recipe. You may have to tweak it slightly, but it’s still delicious.

I worked until I was 67 and never felt old, after my retirement do I ended up with a couple of colleagues and pHD students on a 'pub crawl' until 2 in the morning.
Now 4 years on and after an accident injuring my knee 18 months ago I now feel old, it takes twice as long to do anything, can't walk as far, doing stairs is still difficult which is tricky as my hobby is church bell ringing so involves going up spiral staircases which can be very steep and uneven. SO YES I DO FEEL OLD

You know you’re getting old when you get excited about a new ironing board cover! And what’s even more exciting is, it arrived today, one day earlier than promised. Guess what I’m doing this afternoon? :rofl:

Already set up in front of the telly, where I’ll eat 85% chocolate, drink Diet Coke and watch rubbish programmes! Sad, as well as old!

Attachments

• IMG_3149.jpeg
    IMG_3149.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 2
I worked until I was 67 and never felt old, after my retirement do I ended up with a couple of colleagues and pHD students on a 'pub crawl' until 2 in the morning.
Now 4 years on and after an accident injuring my knee 18 months ago I now feel old, it takes twice as long to do anything, can't walk as far, doing stairs is still difficult which is tricky as my hobby is church bell ringing so involves going up spiral staircases which can be very steep and uneven. SO YES I DO FEEL OLD
I know how you feel. I’m only 63 and in the past three years I’ve fell and injured my pelvis/hip/lower back area and fell down the stairs and tore the ligaments in my left ankle, this is taking ages to heal. I feel stiff all over some days and everything is such an effort. I can’t garden for very long as I can’t sit on the ground for long or bend over very far. I’ve lost my confidence when it comes to climbing fells/going on long hikes. I still make the effort on occasions but not as much as I did. I dread to think what I’ll feel like in 10 years! But hey, I’m still here and I’m still trying. My hubby says I’m very trying! 😉

As you get older, three things happen: The first is your memory goes, and I can’t remember the other two.

Here’s to a long life and a merry one: a quick death and an easy one!

Memory failing is more than a bit batty. In the past I've pretty regularly been to all sorts of hot and exotic bits of the world with not much problem but these days only venturing elsewhere in the UK, I cannot settle properly until I remember what I've forgotten this time.

However about the funniest was when we decided to visit the naturist campsite at Cap d'Agde in France as the first destination 'this time'. We rushed straight there all excitedly and arrived in the evening on Day 2, so just spent the first night on the nearest Aire de Camping Cars. Got up next morning and had a darn good wash only to discover when I tried to get dressed again that I hadn't packed a single pair of clean knickers for the next couple of weeks! First stop, nearest supermarket for new knickers and a few other essentials before sallying forth to Oltra Freres - and found out the camp site had closed for winter the previous weekend.

As I watch this generation try and rewrite our history, I'm sure of one thing: It will be misspelt and have no punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back