Signs of growing older

Status
Not open for further replies.
When your two oldest grandchildren ( 16) have just landed themselves apprenticeships to start after their GCSEs!
Do I charge them keep when they come to stay over? Will they want to stay over when they’re part of the working population? How on earth did that happen? It only seems five minutes since their mothers were babies. 😱

You know you’re getting old when female shop cashiers keep calling you darling when talking to you, it happened three times to me today.

I plan my funeral all the time. 🙂 Can't make up my mind on the CD they play as everybody leaves though. At the minute it's a choice between Let's Dance, Time To Say Goodbye and Holding Back The Years. I need more time! :rofl:
My daughter wants “Another one Bites the Dust” to be played at her funeral! :rofl:

How I know I’m getting old:
Can’t read small print on medicine packets any more, even with my glasses on
Using subtitles when I can’t hear the TV properly (have done this for ages actually)
Regularly forgetting to pick my phone up and put it in my bag before I go out
Almost as regularly having to hunt around for keys
The one that annoys me most is the amount of times I write my shopping list, go to Tesco and then arrive home later to find that I’ve forgotten something because either a) I didn’t put it on the list in the first place; or b) I did put it on the list but still didn’t buy it even though I checked the list 3 times on the way round and declared everything to be in the trolley! Especially annoying when it’s the meat for that night’s dinner (yes I do actually do this… I’m only in my early 50s, what on earth will I be like when I’m in my 70s 😳)

For years I was bombarded with junk mail and phone calls about Stannah stair lifts, hearing aids, retirement homes, insurance for over 50s etc, this all started when I was in my 30s and I eventually deduced that there must be some database somewhere that’s got my birth date down as 30 years earlier than it actually is (which would make me just a bit older than my parents…). Despite asking several companies to amend the source as well as their own records, it never happened. Now I actually am over 50 I don’t get any of this any more, I guess they think I’m either too old and senile or dead :rofl:

A few weeks ago I met up with some old friends who I met at university, as it’s 30 years this year since we graduated. One of them had got in touch with the university administrators to arrange for us to have a look round the buildings we used to spend most of our time in. We were shown round by a lovely lady who only graduated herself in 2018 and therefore wasn’t even born when we were there, she couldn’t understand how we could possibly get coursework done without the internet and smartphones and Google… yeah we used to go to the library and use those funny things called “books”… :rofl:

My daughter wants “Another one Bites the Dust” to be played at her funeral! :rofl:

How I know I’m getting old:
Can’t read small print on medicine packets any more, even with my glasses on
Using subtitles when I can’t hear the TV properly (have done this for ages actually)
Regularly forgetting to pick my phone up and put it in my bag before I go out
Almost as regularly having to hunt around for keys
The one that annoys me most is the amount of times I write my shopping list, go to Tesco and then arrive home later to find that I’ve forgotten something because either a) I didn’t put it on the list in the first place; or b) I did put it on the list but still didn’t buy it even though I checked the list 3 times on the way round and declared everything to be in the trolley! Especially annoying when it’s the meat for that night’s dinner (yes I do actually do this… I’m only in my early 50s, what on earth will I be like when I’m in my 70s 😳)

For years I was bombarded with junk mail and phone calls about Stannah stair lifts, hearing aids, retirement homes, insurance for over 50s etc, this all started when I was in my 30s and I eventually deduced that there must be some database somewhere that’s got my birth date down as 30 years earlier than it actually is (which would make me just a bit older than my parents…). Despite asking several companies to amend the source as well as their own records, it never happened. Now I actually am over 50 I don’t get any of this any more, I guess they think I’m either too old and senile or dead :rofl:

A few weeks ago I met up with some old friends who I met at university, as it’s 30 years this year since we graduated. One of them had got in touch with the university administrators to arrange for us to have a look round the buildings we used to spend most of our time in. We were shown round by a lovely lady who only graduated herself in 2018 and therefore wasn’t even born when we were there, she couldn’t understand how we could possibly get coursework done without the internet and smartphones and Google… yeah we used to go to the library and use those funny things called “books”… :rofl:
Well….this sounds like a curriculum vitae for me! (I felt quite pleased with myself at remembering how to spell that!)

I must be getting as I'm finding I have no idea what young people are talking about these days.

Safe to say, it didn't work.
Oh, that's a shame. I have fob to get into the main door of my building + the laundry and other communal areas. They are very convenient, especially when you consider that both me and my neighbour across the hall, (who also has vision problems,) can't see well enough to put the keys in our front doors. It's not unusual to find both of us locked out of our apartments cursing the idiot who put the locks at waist height. Life would be so much easier if they were at a height where we didn't have to bend double to see where the key goes.🙄

Oh, that's a shame. I have fob to get into the main door of my building + the laundry and other communal areas. They are very convenient, especially when you consider that both me and my neighbour across the hall, (who also has vision problems,) can't see well enough to put the keys in our front doors. It's not unusual to find both of us locked out of our apartments cursing the idiot who put the locks at waist height. Life would be so much easier if they were at a height where we didn't have to bend double to see where the key goes.🙄

But you still drive?
Can't argue with that though, independence is a great thing, and not easily given up.

But you still drive?
Can't argue with that though, independence is a great thing, and not easily given up.
Even without the cataracts and glaucoma, I ahen't been allowed to drive since my TIA. A shame I know, but if I was to kill someone in an RTA, I would not be able to live with myself. But yes,as my journey over the last year has shown, indepence is a great thing and not easy to give up at all.

Even without the cataracts and glaucoma, I ahen't been allowed to drive since my TIA. A shame I know, but if I was to kill someone in an RTA, I would not be able to live with myself. But yes,as my journey over the last year has shown, indepence is a great thing and not easy to give up at all.

My plan is always make sure I live on a bus route!

Today a beautiful young woman gave me a big warm smile and said "After you!" at the top of some escalators. For a moment I was scared she would offer to lend me a hand.

Made me wish I had a walking stick to threaten her with.

Last edited:
Today a beautiful young man gave me a big warm smile and said "After you!" at the top of some escalators. For a moment I was scared she would offer to lend me a hand.

Made me wish I had a walking stick to threaten her with.
I do hope it was a young woman and not a young man since you refer to them as "her". Or are you showing another sign of getting older, an inability to instantaneously determine the gender of the young?

I do hope it was a young woman and not a young man since you refer to them as "her". Or are you showing another sign of getting older, an inability to instantaneously determine the gender of the young?
Edited, but they do all start to look a bit like androgynous anime figures 🙂

Hard to tell sometimes, made that mistake few times in recent years.

Hard to tell sometimes, made that mistake few times in recent years.
Does it really matter?

I realise this is a hot button topic, but gender has absolutely nothing to do with birth sex. Cases of transgendered behaviour from the animal kingdom are well documented in both zoos and in the wild, in fact, there are species of fish which physically change their sex to maintain the appropriate balance between their male and female populations

Even more tellingly, When you actually look at real case history amongst humans, as oppose to sensationalised, rabidly right wing tabloid stories, then you will find many instances of children as young as two or three attempting to mutilate themselves in order to conform to their perceived gender. What I find to be truly ironic however, is that although the tabloids present transgendered, as a group of dirty old men trying to trick unsuspecting women, their seems to be at least as many people born female presenting as male, as their are birth-males presenting as female. In fact, there have been a number of stories recently about the alarming rise in young cis-females seeking gender affirming treatments.

With the aid of the rabid press, politicians on the far right are exploiting cultural and religious bias as a wedge issue for political gain. For example, in recent court cases, the funding of the LGB alliance came largely from far right christian evangelical groups who have as much hatred for lesbians, gays and bisexuals as they do for the transgendered.

Regardless about how you feel about LGB, LGBTQ, immigration, abortion or whatever, when you get past hype of the various wedge issues and take a close look at the society their financial backers wish to create, it is unlikely to be a society you would wish to be a part of.

I think the difficulty with the whole gender thing is that it is very easy to offend someone now.
The way I see it, trying to ensure we use the right pronoun for everyone all the time is going to make life grind to a halt. I am sure we all feel terrible when we get it wrong and it certainly isn't intentional, so people shouldn't be offended, but in modern society it seems people are much more easily offended than they used to be or perhaps ought to be. I personally think gender is a sliding scale from barbie type girls to tom boys and beyond and I am sure the same is true for the male gender. I never felt bad about being a tom boy but I have never actually wanted to be a boy, however I can understand that some women/girls want to go that step further and likewise for men. It's the taking offence when there is none intended which is the problem in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back