Signs of growing older

Status
Not open for further replies.
Involuntary noises.

Whenever you stand up... sit down... reach into a cupboard... bend... tie your shoes... or well, anything really!

You know you're getting older when you get hairier in the ears, eyebrows, nose and face, etc.

And avoid lifting heavy things due to back concerns.

When you can't remember what it is that you can't remember!

You buy a smartphone but have no idea how to do anything other than make phone calls on it

Hi , couple of points to show I am getting old , my car is full of gadgets and it takes me ages to remember what each one is fore , after a few weeks away.

Don't tell my doctor but I used to have four or five pints of beer prior to going out on a Friday night but now after a couple of pints I am fast asleep.

Switching on the subtitles because all actors on the TV seem to mumble.
Or trying to work out how to switch the subtitles on as all the actors mumble! Spent quite a long time on Saturday before watching the new Luther film ( that’s 2 hours and 10 minutes I’ll never get back) but still haven’t fathomed it! 🙄

Another sign of getting older, being disappointed with everything you watch on Netflix! :rofl:

Or trying to work out how to switch the subtitles on as all the actors mumble! Spent quite a long time on Saturday before watching the new Luther film ( that’s 2 hours and 10 minutes I’ll never get back) but still haven’t fathomed it! 🙄

Another sign of getting older, being disappointed with everything you watch on Netflix! :rofl:
According to my 30yr old daughter, they do all mumble. Apparently the age group least likely to use subtitles is the over 60s, and not just because they can’t work out how to switch them on. 35-60yr olds use them because they all have tinnitus from attending loud gigs in their youth, and 18-35yr olds because they’re on their phones doing something else at the same time, and it’s easier to keep up with the plot with an occasional glance at the words.
This discussion came about because I tried to watch Little Women on Film 4 the other night, and gave up in despair, Mumbling in cod American accents, (AND starting at the end and working backwards through the plot). The only actor I could hear clearly was Meryl Streep, I don’t think she could mumble if she tried.

They do mumble, BBC dramas are worst culprits.

Netflix has some great dramas eggyg, Better caul Sol & Breaking Bad being two, then you have The Crown to name a few, admittedly some are crap & not worth watching.

Try getting Paramount plus, great dramas on that Like Yelliwstone, Tulsa King & Yellowstone spin offs.

I use a Sky system. The way to switch on Subtitles is to pause the program and press the ? button (bottom right on the controller) then move to the Subtitle section and switch it on. If it doesn't work, it means subtitles aren't available. I think all films on Netflix have subtitles I haven't been able to switch on subtitles on recorded programs, So Unforgotten becomes
Unforgotten and Unheard. 5Stars for mumbling, that show.

You know your getting old when you feel you have the right to tell people exactly what you are
thinking, even if it isn't polite.......

Switching on the subtitles because all actors on the TV seem to mumble.

I use a Sky system. The way to switch on Subtitles is to pause the program and press the ? button (bottom right on the controller) then move to the Subtitle section and switch it on. If it doesn't work, it means subtitles aren't available. I think all films on Netflix have subtitles I haven't been able to switch on subtitles on recorded programs, So Unforgotten becomes
Unforgotten and Unheard. 5Stars for mumbling, that show.
This is why i love voice control :D

I've got to admit I have serious privacy concerns, and don't even get me started on the security implications of the current model for the future of IoT, but, for me, whether or not a device has voice control is going to be factor in it's utility. As an aside, I have been loking at MyCroft , but, for the moment. I am more or less tied into the Google/Amazon ecosystem I first bought from ScrewFix.

Still, my vote is definitely in favour of some kind of voice control.

This is why i love voice control :D

I've got to admit I have serious privacy concerns, and don't even get me started on the security implications of the current model for the future of IoT, but, for me, whether or not a device has voice control is going to be factor in it's utility. As an aside, I have been loking at MyCroft , but, for the moment. I am more or less tied into the Google/Amazon ecosystem I first bought from ScrewFix.

Still, my vote is definitely in favour of some kind of voice control.
My house, my car, every thing is voice controlled. Probably my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back