Group 7-day waking average?

Morning all. :D 5.6 here.

Twas boiling yesterday but today it's grey n drizzly - that's N W Spain for you. 😎 Why does hot weather make people drive like loonies? It was the Way Out Whacky Races on the motorway yesterday - I just sat quietly in the slow lane going at the speed limit...got home in one piece, phew!

Morning all. 4.2 for me this morning. Caught it just in time. Had a couple of squares of dark chocolate last night normally raises the bs a couple of points.. Didn't last night still a nice straight line mid 4 all night . Hope everyone is doing well and have a good day folks

Very happy with a 5.5 this morning and no red on my graph overnight for the first time in 4 nights! Yay!! Down to 1.5 units of Levemir in the evening from 5 and tried just 20 this morning. The power of walking is not to be underestimated. I am now down 7.5 basal units in the last 4 days and quite a bit of bolus too.
I ended up with another patient with wounds to tend yesterday and both complained. Rascal's rump is obviously a bit sore where Reb's teeth have taken the skin off. He also really dislikes the smell of Hibiscrub or anything that smells unnatural for that matter, so he had a bit of a protest, but nothing too difficult. I then had to break out my human first aid kit for Ian as he had an inch long gash on his temple, where he had been cutting a fallen tree branch and part of it sprung back and hit him in the face. Being a farm labourer he had fished a filthy hanky (and I mean really filthy!!) out of his pocket and used it to apply pressure to stop the bleeding until the hanky had become soaked in blood which dried and stuck it to his head. I had to soak it in antiseptic to soften it to peel it off the broken skin. I then gave it a good scrub to get it cleaned up which caused him to wince a lot which was surprising as he is normally really tough and very rarely complains about aches or pains. I told him that now he knows what the horses feel like when he is roughly picking off mud fever scabs from their legs, which is incredibly painful and sensitive for them but he gets cross because they stamp their feed and try to avoid him doing it. Anyway I managed to make it bleed a bit more which I was hoping for, to clean any dirt and germs from his hanky out of the wound and then applied some Germolene and stuck a great big sticking plaster over it. That will be a lot more painful removing it than me cleaning it because it is partly stuck in his hairline. I will give him a couple of days before I redress it. He probably should have gone to hospital for stitches or Steristrips but the NHS have better things to do and they would have been appalled at the state of his hanky, as it really was disgustingly manky! Pleased to report it has gone on the fire! I should say that i am normally very gentle and sympathetic in dealing with wounds but I needed to abraid this after such a filthy dressing had been used on it for a couple of hours.

Congrats to @Robin on your HS today. Hope Toby has found his place in the herd without too much aggravation. Always a bit of a fraught time. Hope you have a well stocked first aid kit because usually having one means you rarely need it but not having one is aslking for trouble. Shame you will need to take his feather off but far better to prevent long term issues and both with CPL and mud fever as we head towards the wetter muddier seasons. If you are taking his feather off why not hog his mane too. I think a hogged cob looks really smart, although it seems such a travesty to cut off a beautiful flowing mane. The problem with plaiting cob's manes is that they are really thick and uneven so it is hard to get that nice elegant TB or show pony look. So you either go with the beautiful flowing mane which takes a lot of effort particularly with a grey horse or a nice tidy buzz cut! Ian always has his hogged. You do miss the opportunity of a nice reassuring handful of mane when mounting from the ground or when things get a bit tricky when out riding or bareback of course. Are you having your weekly lesson on him today?

@New-journey Good to hear you are feeling like you are over the worst. I find paracetamol particularly good for controlling temperature when you have a fever. Hope you are fully recovered soon.

@Nayshiftin Another great reading this morning. I would imagine the headache is down to dehydration as a result of the action of the medication overnight. Even if you haven't needed to go to the loo overnight, it will still be removing fluid from your blood into your bladder. I very much doubt you would have seen such a swift or significant result from Metformin, so it really does look like you are getting on well with this medication.

@Grannylorraine You also seem to be responding really well to your new medication... which one is it that you have been given? Wondering if perhaps you may even need a slight reduction in dosage with the low levels you are seeing the last couple of days. You must be really pleased with the results you are getting as your levels have been notably stubborn for quite a while despite your running and walking and yoga, which must have been quite frustrating to put in all that effort and not see significant benefit with your BG levels although I appreciate there are many other benefits to exercise. I know I find exercise a lot easier when my levels are in the 4s and 5s compared to 8s or above.

I'm an idiot.
Went into town with plans of coffee and brekkie with my son. Realised I left my insulin pen at home *doh*
Hadn't corrected fotf yet (wasn't too terrible nudging 10 - planned to deal with it when I ate) but it did mean brekkie plans didn't happen 🙄
(but coffee did 😛)

I'm exhausted but glad I went. Maybe a nap is on the cards. Iron tablets are slowly boosting energy levels but clearly not as much as I hoped for 😉

Morning all - just.

Bright and breezy here and it was a 5.3 for me earlier this morning.

Have a good day everyone and stay safe.

Oh, forgot that I wanted to congratulate @Michael12421 on retaining your driving licence. Well done!. That is a great achievement at 80, although I appreciate the restrictions must be a frustration. Please carefully consider abiding by the restrictions. Perhaps you could stop halfway to Aldi and have a coffee somewhere or a little walk and then continue the journey and the same on the way back. These restrictions are not only for your own safety but those of other road users and by @Bloden's comments about "looney drivers" in northern Spain in hot weather, it may be all too easy to become involved in an accident that isn't your fault but end up on the wrong side of the law, because you weren't following the limitations of your licence.

What is a cob?
A cob is sort of the equivalent of a mongrel with dogs. A horse/pony of indeterminate breeding often with some draught/heavy horse heritage. Cobs are the best in my opinion! Hardy, easy to look after and usually pretty level headed although welsh cobs have probably had too much "spirit " bred into them in recent years. They are usually suitable for children or adults and make good allrounders, usually with talent for jumping, driving, hunting and showing as well as just pleasure riding. They should be good, steady, dependable animals!

A cob is sort of the equivalent of a mongrel with dogs. A horse/pony of indeterminate breeding often with some draught/heavy horse heritage. Cobs are the best in my opinion! Hardy, easy to look after and usually pretty level headed although welsh cobs have probably had too much "spirit " bred into them in recent years. They are usually suitable for children or adults and make good allrounders, usually with talent for jumping, driving, hunting and showing as well as just pleasure riding. They should be good, steady, dependable animals!
You learn something new every day on this site, and there was me thinking a cob was a small, round loaf of
bread, or a small, round bread roll.....Now I'm just a tad more informed.

It seems there is something in the air with horses fighting over here at the moment.... Ian's two, Arthur and Zak have also been fighting out in the field the last 2 days and yesterday Ian got a voicemail from a lady who visits the farm regularly to say that Zak had a stick in his mouth and was hitting Arthur with it!! This is clearly learned behaviour!! I am guessing from Ian 🙄 😱! I have seen Arthur picking up and playing with great lumps of branch in the field before and the people who live in the houses on the field boundary apparently have endless hours of entertainment watching him messing about with them, but Zak has not been known to get involved with these antics, so either Claire has made a mistake and it was Arthur hitting Zak or Zak has got in on the act and giving Arthur a taste of what his dad dishes out when he is naughty! Either way, they will do less damage with a piece of wood than they will with their teeth or feet, so no great worries, but funny to watch I imagine! Just hope neither of them get injured in the fighting as there is a full schedule of events and shows planned for the next 6 weeks. They are such funny animals!!

It seems there is something in the air with horses fighting over here at the moment.... Ian's two, Arthur and Zak have also been fighting out in the field the last 2 days and yesterday Ian got a voicemail from a lady who visits the farm regularly to say that Zak had a stick in his mouth and was hitting Arthur with it!! This is clearly learned behaviour!! I am guessing from Ian 🙄 😱! I have seen Arthur picking up and playing with great lumps of branch in the field before and the people who live in the houses on the field boundary apparently have endless hours of entertainment watching him messing about with them, but Zak has not been known to get involved with these antics, so either Claire has made a mistake and it was Arthur hitting Zak or Zak has got in on the act and giving Arthur a taste of what his dad dishes out when he is naughty! Either way, they will do less damage with a piece of wood than they will with their teeth or feet, so no great worries, but funny to watch I imagine! Just hope neither of them get injured in the fighting as there is a full schedule of events and shows planned for the next 6 weeks. They are such funny animals!!

Hope Ian doesn't get a branch in his teeth and start hitting you with it! :rofl:

Last edited:
Do they treat horses with Lympodema with diuretics
Are feathers the hair (sorry, unsure of the proper word) around the bottom of the legs/hooves?
What is a cob?
A cob is a chunky horse, like a draught horse, but can be smaller than one built to pull a plough (ours is pony sized) and thy often have long hair below their knees (feathers).
As far as I know, they don’t give horses diuretics (might put a strain on their kidneys) but you can get compression bandages for them in extreme cases.
Daughter had the lesson on him today, @rebrascora , it’s my turn next week. I am going to ride him tomorrow, though, and I'm planning to go out for a hack with some ponies from the riding school midweek. I think he’d suit a hog, but we promised his old owner not to cut or pull his mane. If they stay in touch, we may keep it, but if they lose interest we may chop it all off! In the meantime I exercised my plaiting skills.
20230819_110421.jpeg20230819_104256.jpeg

"looney drivers" in northern Spain in hot weather,
Oh not just in NW Spain - drivers in the UK too! The sun comes out, the temperature rises...and people are suddenly in a massive hurry. Well, I can understand it in the UK - got to get to the beach and sunbathe before the sun disappears. 😱 😎

I almost said the mongrel of the horse world but didn’t want to offend anyone! My granddaughter’s is classed as a gypsy cob apparently, not sure what makes it that. Do you know Barbara?

I almost said the mongrel of the horse world but didn’t want to offend anyone! My granddaughter’s is classed as a gypsy cob apparently, not sure what makes it that. Do you know Barbara?
I almost replied to think of gypsy horses, but thought the term gypsy would offend some people! I think some Welsh Cob breeders might be upset by mongrel!

@rebrascora I was reading your horse tales (very interesting, even tho I have no idea about horses!) and had a lightbulb moment, of something which many may know already but I didn't realise before.

I was taking mental notes "alright, so Zak and Arthur are Ian's, horses, and Rebel, Rascal and Cora are Rebrascora's...WAIT A MINUTE!...REBel, RASCal and...It makes sense now!" o_O

For your information, someone mentioned you in the London meeting and they were wondering were the nickname Rebrascora came from knowing your name is Barbara. Yes, you are a forum celebrity 😉

You can get a bigger branch! :rofl:
Ian already lost out to a branch yesterday so I doubt he would risk messing with another one, let alone me wielding it. 😉

Back