Group 7-day waking average?

I recall reading lots of posts from people in here about opticians.
I think it's time for me to embrace varifocals so looking for recommendations etc.

Thanks 🙂
lol - and right behind you I post about collecting my new glasses - varifocals with reactive lenses and anti-glare. Have had varifocals for years now - did start off with the best type where there is less distinction between the 3 levels (close, normal, distant), but I think I'm on the cheapest ones now after all these years, which is fine once you are used to moving your eyes (and head too sometimes) to where they need to be for optimum vision 🙂
Not sure how much others pay, but mine came to under £250, fairly cheap frames as I didn't need hinged arms! ETA - springy hinges I mean, they have normal hinges of course 🙂

I think it's time for me to embrace varifocals so looking for recommendations etc.

Thanks 🙂
I get mine from Specsavers. I know some people don’t rate them. but I think it depends very much on what your local branch is like, and ours seems good. They do three sorts, bog-standard, medium. and super expensive. The more you pay, the more of the peripheral vision is in focus. I go for the medium ones, which seem fine for me. They gave me a two week grace period, where I could get a refund if I really didn’t get on with them. They do take a bit of getting used to, (the worst I found was that you need to move your head down to focus properly when you’re stepping on an escalator). But I seemed to adapt to my brain automatically getting my head at the right angle fairly quickly.

Thanks 🙂
I have been waring them for years, the important thing is to make sure they fit properly and they measure your eye separation accurately. Depending on the difference between the prescription for near and far sight the shape of the frame can be restrictive as there need to be enough depth for the graduation of the lens, so very narrow may not be suitable.
I always opt for ultra thin as otherwise the lens would be very thick.
I go to an independent optician but did have some years ago from other opticians which were less than satisfactory.
My other half is long sighted and tried varifocals but couldn't get on with them at all.

@janw Now my mind has gone to a world where Greggs also do glasses!

Had my eyes tested a week or so ago and the optician (Vision Express) was strongly suggesting that I would see a huge improvement with varifocals.
They've been saying I really ought to get photochromic lenses as well - just to protect my eyes from evil UV rays!

But I'm resisting because in my head old people wear varifocals and have photochromic lenses.... silly I know

I think it can be very individual as to whether people get on well with varifocals, the primary cause of not getting on with them is incorrect measurement of your eyes by the Optician. My first pair from an independent optician were fine, but I disliked the woman as she was quite unpleasant towards me when I asked for the arms to be bent differently. I moved to a different independent optician in the town and the first pair from them were measured wrongly. After some persistence they got them right and they were fine. I stopped going to them as their prices were astronomic.

I now have my eyes tested by Specsavers who are very thorough and do many tests in addition to the actual vision test. However, the frames they offer have no style whatsoever and are expensive. So I take my script to ASDA who have an excellent range of frames, a good measuring service and fantastic prices. An example recently was where Specsavers quoted me £296 for new lenses to be put into my existing frames.... £276 for new glasses with top level varifocal lenses & a choice of boring frames. I went to ASDA (who's eye tests are very basic) with my prescription from Specsavers and got two lovely pairs with stylish frames, top level varilux, photochromatic lenses with anti-dazzle and anti scratch coatings for £248 - so 2 pairs for less than the price of 1 at Specsavers.

I've got the prescription from Vision Express so I will start looking around at High Street opticians and then I'll look at places like Asda if I can find one that's nearby. Ooh there's also Costco possibly...

@ColinUK My reactive lenses are just like sunglasses - though they also darken in the snow (how cool is that :rofl:) and they are hindering my cataracts from developing too fast. I also need to add that I have had reactive lenses since I was in my 30's - so less of the "old" mate or else!!! 😎 And who even knows unless you tell them - reactive lenses are far better than those clip on black lenses, you have to admit that. And, yes, I go to Specsavers too - wouldn't go anywhere else tbh, I could have had normal glasses and a free pair of sunglasses, but it is a pain changing from one pair to another (been there and got the t-shirt), so I went with what is best for me and forego the second pair.
If Greggs can have a range of clothes on sale in Primark, glasses may not be that far off!!! 🙄

@ColinUK My reactive lenses are just like sunglasses - though they also darken in the snow (how cool is that :rofl:) and they are hindering my cataracts from developing too fast. I also need to add that I have had reactive lenses since I was in my 30's - so less of the "old" mate or else!!! 😎 And who even knows unless you tell them - reactive lenses are far better than those clip on black lenses, you have to admit that. And, yes, I go to Specsavers too - wouldn't go anywhere else tbh, I could have had normal glasses and a free pair of sunglasses, but it is a pain changing from one pair to another (been there and got the t-shirt), so I went with what is best for me and forego the second pair.
If Greggs can have a range of clothes on sale in Primark, glasses may not be that far off!!! 🙄
I guess it's partly because the folks have had photochromic lenses but they don't go dark dark and they never really go clear. But I guess the tech has improved and there's a range of darkening and clarity.

I guess it's partly because the folks have had photochromic lenses but they don't go dark dark and they never really go clear. But I guess the tech has improved and there's a range of darkening and clarity.
Yeah, mine are grey tinted when "reacting" - or you could have brown - there is also a limit to how dark they can become if you drive. TBH that is pointless as they do not darken when you are sat in a car, only in the open air - but rules are rules and have to be obeyed.

Had my eyes tested a week or so ago and the optician (Vision Express) was strongly suggesting that I would see a huge improvement with varifocals.
They've been saying I really ought to get photochromic lenses as well - just to protect my eyes from evil UV rays!

But I'm resisting because in my head old people wear varifocals and have photochromic lenses.... silly I know
When I first got them I didn't consider myself to be old 40 ish.

I opted for 2 pairs of glasses last summer. Still haven't been back to get my eyes rechecked as I'm waiting for bg to be normal ish and stable 🙄
I'm terrible for remembering to switch my glasses though, I end up with my close up ones on even when out when I should really switch. (I don't drive so I'm not a liability in case anyone is worried)
Maybe varifocals are the way forwards unless my prescription dials back a bit and I don't need them.

Yeah, mine are grey tinted when "reacting" - or you could have brown - there is also a limit to how dark they can become if you drive. TBH that is pointless as they do not darken when you are sat in a car, only in the open air - but rules are rules and have to be obeyed.
I was told by the optician that reactions lenses don't darken in cars due to the anti-UV coating on the windscreen. Luckily I got prescription sunglasses free when I bought my varifocals.

If you’re driving, you’re allowed to drive on 4.8 so long as you’ve eaten first
Its more down to me worrying. If my levels drop in the morning they drop quickly so i prefer to be in the mid to top 5s or a bit more before driving to work. Its only 15 mins in the car but if i'm high enough when i leave home, i know i'll be ok to get to work.

I was told by the optician that reactions lenses don't darken in cars due to the anti-UV coating on the windscreen. Luckily I got prescription sunglasses free when I bought my varifocals.
Prescription sunglasses have to follow same restrictions if the person is a driver, only allowed to be a certain darkness. It doesn't really make sense as drivers who don't wear glasses or who have contact lenses can just go out and buy whatever they like in sunglasses, as dark as they like. I bought whichever sunglasses I liked when I wore contacts..... there's no-one to control that!

There was nothing in the shops I even wanted to try on. I
I know the feeling! I really need some new clothes for work and i have nothing suitable if i want to go out. Everywhere i've looked lately i've seen nothing i like enough to try on let alone buy!

@ColinUK i had always had glasses from Specsavers until last year. Because my eyesight is really bad i have to pay quite a lot to make the lenses thinner. The last time i went to Specsavers they charged me almost £400 for varifocal glasses and separate varifocal sunglasses! I went to ASDA last year and got both pairs for £150 and the lenses being made thinner were included. They're definitely worth a look.

Prescription sunglasses have to follow same restrictions if the person is a driver, only allowed to be a certain darkness. It doesn't really make sense as drivers who don't wear glasses or who have contact lenses can just go out and buy whatever they like in sunglasses, as dark as they like. I bought whichever sunglasses I liked when I wore contacts..... there's no-one to control that!
My prescription sunglasses definitely aren't as dark as my Ray Bans, but they're better than nothing. I honestly don't think I could get away with inserting contact lenses in my eyes, plus I think I look better with glasses

Back