Wordle - Quordle Thread

Finished whilst waiting for transport! It looks as if I ould miss my podiatry appointment yet again. The crew allegedly left 50 minutes ago for the 15 minutes journey here! A Mikey in the Middle performance as is usual!

Word in 4
Quordle in 8 for 22 (5, 3, 8, 6)
Octordle in 11 for 60

Total Score 86!

I am joining @Rob Oldfield in the dunce's corner with a fail at Quordle too.

Wordle in 5
Quordle 6 8 X 7 = DNF
Octordle in 66

I am certainly curious!
So... my starting words....

(Actual words formatted as white text so hoping only visible if you highlight or hit reply.)

I use salet for Wordle - that was identified as the most efficient word to use by an MIT study.
For both Quordle and Octordle I use price first but then the key thing I do is not to chase an immediate answer on row 2, instead going with slant to give a wide range of decent letters.

@Rob Oldfield Interesting about your Wordle word and that MIT came up with it. I will confess I had to google it, as not familiar with it at all. Is there a reason why you don't also use it for the other 2 puzzles?
I always use the same starting word for all 3 and your mind does get into a routine with the letters of that particular word and the weekly challenge using a different word can catch you out because it is easy to make assumptions half way through that it can't be such and such because it doesn't have any of the letters from your normal starting word, when of course it may do because you haven't tried them. Not sure if that makes sense, but I have done it a few times. My starter word is Laugh and I find it good because the H is very rarely in the middle position usually first, second or last paired with either w, t, p, s or c and the G can be quite useful and comes up more often than you might expect. My downfall is generally my inclination to play "hard mode" with the other 2 puzzles and be committed to using whatever letters I get from the first word to try for an answer rather than using 5 new letters to give me more to go on. I don't mind coming last here on the thread regularly, but I hate dipping out on Quordle so frequently! Can't see myself changing my starting word as I just like LAUGH although I originally started with SMILE and found that wasn't nearly so useful, so very rapidly changed and it works great for me for Wordle but much less so for Quordle which seems to be my nemesis. Maybe I should start using a new word specifically for Quordle and see if my failure rate decreases. 🙄

@Rob Oldfield Interesting about your Wordle word and that MIT came up with it. I will confess I had to google it, as not familiar with it at all. Is there a reason why you don't also use it for the other 2 puzzles?

Yeah, think the key difference is that with Q and O you're working across multiple words at the same time and that changes things. I did some analysis of my own and that pointed to my pair being the most efficient at uniquely identifying other words. Seems to work for me at least.

Yeah, think the key difference is that with Q and O you're working across multiple words at the same time and that changes things. I did some analysis of my own and that pointed to my pair being the most efficient at uniquely identifying other words. Seems to work for me at least.
There is no denying that it certainly does seem to work well for you!

It is all quite fascinating how complex such a simple game can be. I think that is the appeal of it.

Yes, welcome from me too. I am the same as @Robin. Got sucked into more and more of these puzzles thanks to this thread. I also do Squaredle. As I said in my earlier post, I also struggle with Quordle....rather too often 🙄 .... but I don't let that stop me and I see it as a service or duty even to others here on this thread that I mostly occupy the tail end Charlie position on the daily scores, to save others from that embarrassment. :D Occasionally I fail in that role too though and play a blinder.... just once in a blue moon though!😉

Newbie here, joining in for the first time. I like Wordle and do it every day, but struggle to get into Quordle (although I enjoy Quordle's other games - Spelling Bee and Combinations).
Hello @Speedbird !

It is always good to have new members as a few have joined and dropped out along the way.. I started this thread about 18 months ago after I saw quite a few people were posting their Wordle scores in morning BG thread:

There area number of Quordles about but we use this one:

For Octordles we use:

And for added interest we have the Quordle Weekly Challenge where the winner choses the next week's starter word. You are offered this game on completing a Daily one

There is no problem if you only want to do Wordle but the challenge of a group adds to the appeal of the others.

Good luck!

Good start, then I decided to try Rob's starters on Quordle and failed!

Definitely not a massive amount of info from those first two rows on Quordle today!

For me, I had a 4 on Wordle, a 4, 6, 8, 5 23 on that tricky Quordle, and a 52 on Octordle (after getting lucky that a mistake didn't bite me on the bum). Total of 79.

Didn’t do quite so well as yesterday I’m afraid (3+25+61=89).

Attachments

• IMG_2137.jpeg
    IMG_2137.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 0
Back