Who has had their first jab?

Brava210

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I was told by nurse, if I didn't get side affects after by12 hours I would be fine........It hit me at 02:00AM - 18 hours after jab,
shivers, freezing cold and headache. Strange also, a wrist issue that hasn't troubled me for years, swelled up and very painful. It's all cleared up now though.

Spoon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my first through work on the 26th Jan, have since had a shielding email, letter and then a letter saying ‘book your vaccine’ however my husband has actually been rung by our GP and offered a jab and he has no vulnerabilities on ‘the list’ he is however over 50 (just) if that makes any difference ‍♀️

Micky2278

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thought it might be interesting to see who has been offered their first Covid vaccine injection, and whether there is much difference over the country.

No need to be overly specific if you’d prefer to keep your exact location secret, but an idea of region might be interesting.

@Becka and @Docb I think you’ve has yours. Any others?

I'm having mine on sun morn Wigan area

Last edited by a moderator:

stephknits

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Am part of a local type 1 parent Facebook gp. They were all saying how their teens were getting vaccine, but that it had to be Pfizer for under 18s. I realised this was probably not available at our surgery, but they hadn't mentioned it. Emailed to confirm, got no reply. Resorted to ringing again today to be told they didn't do Pfizer, they wouldn't give her the Astra Zeneca (some local surgeries are giving it as they don't have the Pfizer and apparently giving it to under 18s is at GPS discretion) and they wouldn't refer her anywhere else to get it. They said we had to ring 119 instead. We rang 119, they said they don't deal with under 18s and they can't be booked through the online vaccination Centre system and we had to get it through our gp surgery. We rang the gp surgery back who said they didn't know and would get a gp to ring us tomorrow. All thenother local surgeries are either referring them, giving g them the other vaccine or have access to Pfizer. Will see what tomorrow brings

WendyB61

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thought it might be interesting to see who has been offered their first Covid vaccine injection, and whether there is much difference over the country.

No need to be overly specific if you’d prefer to keep your exact location secret, but an idea of region might be interesting.

@Becka and @Docb I think you’ve has yours. Any others?
No not had mine not had a letter and I’ve got type 2 diabetes and heart disease

DavidG89

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I got mine today, 31 type 1. Got a phone call from the GP at 1115am saying that several people hadn't turned up and they didn't want any going to waste. I got it at 1145am. Good steady flow of people getting them from 3 GPs, process was to confirm name, address, roll up sleeve, jab, card with a return date for second dose then out the door. I was the youngest by at least 20 years from the other people attending.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
No not had mine not had a letter and I’ve got type 2 diabetes and heart disease

Hopefully it will come through soon for you @WendyB61

Some surgeries / areas seem to be having to take things slightly more slowly because of vaccine supplies I think?

Teddy*

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’ve had my Pfizer vaccination this afternoon. I’m 53 Type 1 and had the text last week to book an appointment. I am so grateful to receive it - what a roller coaster of a year - At times, I’ve never felt so vulnerable. I’m completely blown away by the speed and efficiency the vaccine programme has been delivered. Will be sleeping a little better tonight and feeling very grateful
Ps no side effects as yet!

grainger

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m getting really anxious about it now. Kids back to school soon and my gp surgery seems to be really slow stating last week they were doing groups 4 & 5. Finding the difference between surgeries etc disheartening.

guess I just need to keep trying to remain calm.

TrevA

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my AZ jab on Sunday morning - Type 2 and 61 years old. We just go online and book it via Swiftqueue, at one of the vaccination centres. I only had to wait 2 days for a slot, I booked it last Friday. I didn’t wait for a letter or text. I was sent a link by a friend who is a nurse. It said no need to wait for a letter. I then got a text on Weds of this week asking me to get booked in!

No side effects for me, apart from a sore arm, but my wife had hers at the same time and had nausea and mild, flu-like symptoms, but she was OK after a day.

Last edited:

Peeny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had mine in the week, Bedfordshire. Hubby is 62, but is having to wait for his.

nonethewiser

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Wife was booked in yesterday afternoon at gp surgery, low & behold own letter arrived on morning, kind staff managed to fit my jab around same time to save two journeys, well pleased with that.

Didn't hurt & arm was fine last night, woke today it is tender at top but nowt bad, thought bg would go daft in reaction to vaccine but managed to stay in green zone all night, flu vaccine nearly always has opposite effect.

NotPink

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Come on everybody, cool it down.

At the heart of this debate there is a dilemma. The notion that there may be downsides to vaccination have validity. The notion that there are downsides to not being vaccinated also have validity. It's a matter of argument, opinion, prejudice and a lot of other things which determine where any individual arrives at when considering their own approach to the issue.

The one thing you can be sure of in this sort of debate is that it is easier to create discourse than consensus.

Personally I wish that people would talk about balance of risk in this sort of matter rather than treating every thing as if it can only be good or bad. My own view is that the balance of risk is in favour of vaccination even if the validation of the vaccine has been rushed. The balance of risk is against controlling the virus by trying to prevent transmission by legislation. The 100,000 dead, unknown numbers with prolonged effects and the rate at which it is being transmitted lead me to that view.

That's my assessment and I'll behave accordingly. I've had the first vaccination but will continue to take care with social contact in all its forms. Yes, I'm hedging my bets and anyway in the event I get asymptomatic covid because the big benefit of vaccination may be simply to reduce the symptoms, I don't want to pass it on to anybody who has yet to be vaccinated or has decided that vaccination is not right for them.
At 70 yrs we deliberately debated the argument regarding vaccination. We decided to have it. And we did 3 wks ago. I was relatively poorly with all the list that 1 in 10 people suffer from, for over a week.
My husband was fine.

But I realised that to have it was responsible for me. My doctor said he would be first in line if it was offered as he had a duty of care to his patients. He is 70 yrs. That sorted it.

I do understand why people are sceptical, we don't get all the information we are entitled to. They do have a choice. Only certain information is available and the rest undisclosed until deemed fit to release.
But we will all probably be in the same boat if things go belly up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Berenice

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had mine earlier this morning at my GP surgery. North Wales. The Oxford, AstraZeneca vaccine. I'm 49 type 2 diabetic, non medicated, diet/exercise controlled. It was the easiest most efficient vaccine I've ever had. They had the setup nailed in my doctor's. Now to wait and see what, if any, side effects occur.

Last edited:

NotPink

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Glad you felt safe in the surgery wetting. I was so worried about venturing out for mine as we'd been shielding for a year. But everything was monitored and organised well. You may not get any side effects...well done.

NotPink

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I’ve had my Pfizer vaccination this afternoon. I’m 53 Type 1 and had the text last week to book an appointment. I am so grateful to receive it - what a roller coaster of a year - At times, I’ve never felt so vulnerable. I’m completely blown away by the speed and efficiency the vaccine programme has been delivered. Will be sleeping a little better tonight and feeling very grateful
Ps no side effects as yet!
I have been feeling as vulnerable as you mention too. It is hard to describe the elements of fear we have lived with this past year.

eggyg

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Mr Eggy had his this morning. Age 60, chronic heart condition. GP surgery, same as mine, he got Pfizer, I got AZ two weeks ago. Car park was packed but he was back out before I’d even got my phone out my pocket to have a FB scroll! Interesting to know if he has the same, if any, side effects as me. Headache and aching all over the next day. Tender arm.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had the other one and went straight home but my brother had the Pfizer and had to sit down for 15 minutes before he was allowed to go home. Why is this, does anybody know? I might have missed this information when trawling through the posts, apologies if so.

I just go a sore arm, he got a bad headache.