• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

Who has had their first jab?

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Well after feeling rough last night I didnt feel too bad today. Sore arm which was painful to raise up too high, which made filling shelves at work interesting. Arm where injection was done is lovely and warm with a lovely bump. Felt a bit more tired than normal throughout the day.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well after feeling rough last night I didnt feel too bad today. Sore arm which was painful to raise up too high, which made filling shelves at work interesting. Arm where injection was done is lovely and warm with a lovely bump. Felt a bit more tired than normal throughout the day.
I had the muscle ache in my arm from the next day @Stitch147 - jab Sunday so that was Monday. On Weds went to bed, thinking Oooh, is this a bit OTT .... think I'll have to ring my GP tomorrow .... Thursday got up and there it wasn't !

Incidentally Pete had his first and said to the girl didn't he get a sweetie for being a good boy? - and she said No, sorry, she hadn't got any sweeties, but hang on, here's a sticker instead! Took it off his T shirt that night and stuck it on the bedroom door frame where it stayed until I decided to bin it - after all she hadn't given me one, had she!

Peter2104

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thought it might be interesting to see who has been offered their first Covid vaccine injection, and whether there is much difference over the country.

No need to be overly specific if you’d prefer to keep your exact location secret, but an idea of region might be interesting.

@Becka and @Docb I think you’ve has yours. Any others?
Age 71 - Hampshire first dose 5 Feb

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just had a sore arm for a day, Mum didn't have anything, my friend's brother got flu symptoms but is okay now, lady living next door to my sister says she's not having the jab because she's healthy. :)

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just had a sore arm for a day, Mum didn't have anything, my friend's brother got flu symptoms but is okay now, lady living next door to my sister says she's not having the jab because she's healthy. :)
Well so were many of the people with the long term effects of the virus before they caught it.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just worry because I'm meeting peoples all the time who are not having the jab. If enough refuse it will this hinder us beating the spread of the virus?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I just worry because I'm meeting peoples all the time who are not having the jab. If enough refuse it will this hinder us beating the spread of the virus?
You still should be taking precautions even though you have had the jab.They are still not sure yet it prevents us from carrying and passing the virus on.

goodybags

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had mine this afternoon, good to have it
have been booked in for the 2nd (in 12 weeks time)

had the Oxford Vaccine no side effects

Last edited:

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Did anyone else experience itchiness at the injection site?
Had my jab thursday, area was swollen and red yesterday. Last night and today its extremely itchy.
Anyone else?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Had my jab thursday, area was swollen and red yesterday. Last night and today its extremely itchy.
Anyone else?
I had a little itchiness along with a little swelling and a little soreness. Nothing desperate though.

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Just wondered what they ask about allergies? I am a bit nervous about the Pfizer jab as I have a massive allergy to ibuprofen which put me in hospital for over 3 weeks a few years ago? Unlikely to get the vaccination for a while though as not in a risk category.

Becka

I gave consent over the phone, where they asked then if I had any allergies.

When I arrived at the location I had to fill out a form which did include a section for allergies etc, but I was asked if I went through that on the phone so only needed to complete the name and adress section.

When I went into the room I am pretty sure I was asked if I had any allergies before being given the shot.

You will only not be given a shot if you are allergic to the ingredients of the vaccine. You can see what these are now if you want to make sure which will be safe for you.

Pfizer/BioNTech: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...n-pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine#ingredients

Oxford/AstraZeneca: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ca#what-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca-contains

Moderna: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...na#contents-of-the-pack-and-other-information

Although the Moderna vaccine has been approved, the U.K. will not have any supply until at least next month.

Stitch147

Relationship to Diabetes
MODY
Before being given the injection I was asked if I had any allergies to anything.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Anyone else?

I had some itchiness a few hours after. I purposely didn’t touch the injection site but I got the feeling that if I’d rubbed or scratched at it, it would have itched more. A bit like one of those bumps you get that itch more the more you scratch.

My arm is still a bit sensitive today (had the vaccination on Friday) but seems to have improved a lot overnight. I also feel better in myself as I felt a bit achy and headachy yesterday and like the glands in my neck were a bit swollen.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a friend ( that might have to be reconfigured in the future) who refuses to have the vax. Her argument is that she loves to travel and feels therefore she has no choice but to have the vaccine. Where angels fear to tread, off I go. I said she did have a choice not to to have the vaccine but that could possibly curtail her travelling. I also asked if when she travelled did she have vaccinations necessary for certain countries eg yellow fever etc? Yes, was her response. She continued to rell me that she was anti establishment. I decided enough was enough and went away with my smiley Covid sticker.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I had mine on Friday. I was definitely asked about any allergies, and medications checked before they jabbed me. All very efficient.

Initially I felt fine then I felt feverish yesterday, and again last night. Struggled to keep glucose levels on target throughout. I have the sore arm which I would expect as they stuck a needle in my muscle. As @Flower has said it is good to know we have an active immune system that gets some things right, and doesn’t just waste its time destroying beta cells.

Has anyone else had pain in the lymph system under the injected arm. That was new one on me today. I don’t remember that being mentioned.

merrymunky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I had my first dose on Monday. But because I am a front line worker (special needs teacher so classed as social care) not because of the diabetes!

Last edited: