What did you eat yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the yoga going?
It's going really well, thanks, my sense of wellbeing has greatly improved, feel fitter, more alert & getting more muscle definition.

In terms of helping with D, not a lot has changed, though I was not expecting miracles as I am generally under very good control.... Not sure if it's related though but my BG levels after eating tend to drop quite nicely at the 2 hour mark, remarkable as I only test if I go off the reservation😱

Now the clocks have changed, I'll add cycling a few times a week..... Unplanned start today when I lost one of the dogs.... She is 16 & going deaf so calling her doesn't do any good but fortunately they have all learned to come home if they get separated from me; we were reunited 10 minutes after dropping the other 2 back home & taking the bike out to look for her (she was already almost home at that point)🙂

Seafood is very good for diabetics Kaylz - it's rich in all the things we need to get the insulin working, esp dark-fleshed fish like mackerel, and shellfish.

it's a few days since I posted on the thread, so I'll bung in a few meals I can remember (the racing has taken over for his week!). I'm tending to have one proper meal and one 'snacky' meal, but not always at the same time of day.

Breakfasts: I've had:
Lambs' kidneys (I slice off the meat and give the centre to the dog, same with pigs' when I can get them) - sautéd with a couple of diced brown mushrooms and finished with a grain mustard and cream sauce - I add a dash of Lea & Perrins too. Served on a toasted slice of Vogel 'antique grains' bread.
Grilled cheddar on a slice of Vogel, with sliced tomato and a little chopped spring onion
Bowl of creamy yoghurt with a large tsp of my own wild plum jam, which has v little sugar in it
Scrambled eggs with one triangular 'hash brown' (grated potato) from the farm shop, 3 or 4 cherry tomatoes just heated through, and 2/3 slices of smoked streaky

Lunches: I've had:
Stir-fried veg and prawns (whatever's in the fridge for the veg, eg Romano pepper, green beans, celery, white cabbage, mushroom etc).
Cheese omlette with broad beans/parsley, and salad with French dressing
Guacamole (home made, with olive oil, lemon and lots of garlic) with a slice of toasted Vogel; another day the rest of it with Waitrose wheatmeal thins - they do boxes with four kinds of very thin bics for cheese, which take hummus and suchlike very well. Cherry tomatoes - Waitrose do some v sweet and tasty ones on the vine

Suppers I've had:
Sausages from the farm shop (mostly meat, little filler) with red cabbage and broccoli
Sausages ditto, with sprouts and green stick beans
Cottage pie, with half each of a parsnip and a carrot diced into it, and a diced stick of celery; lots of Lea & Perrins. For the topping, I used two medium/small potatoes for the mash and made it into 'colcannon' with some leftover cooked cabbage, to bulk out the mash - very good!
Chicken livers rolled in oil and spices, sautéd with garlic and parsley. Served with grilled courgette and parsnip batons, and spinach

Any dessert has been yoghurt with a very little of my jam... though I did have a very small piece of chocolate cake last night, slapped wrist for me (I put it at the back of the fridge on diagnosis... I can't throw away food! I was born just as the war ended: there was still rationing for years!)

I've also eaten my way through a smallish silver tray of flapjack, which I invented as a self-indulgence which wouldn't spike me. I never measure stuff I invent: I just fling stuff in and cook it. I consisted of:

Start with oat flakes (farm shop, organic - not the 'quick cook' sort), oatmeal, flax seed - chia would do just as well; butter; and one or two very ripe bananas. Blend these in the mixer (you can add most of the oats after this if you want them whole, as I did... If doing this bit by hand, soften the butter first).
Transfer to a bowl and stir in a peeled apple or two diced small; quite a bit of cinnamon (or mixed spice, &/or ground ginger if you like); You will now have a very stiff mass. Add enough coconut milk as a sweetener, to get a spreadable consistency so you can fill the silver foil or metal dish you want to cook it in. Mine was about an inch in thickness and pretty stiff, and I'm glad I didn't add more coconut milk as after 30 mins in my halogen oven at medium heat, it was cooked but of a fairly soft consistency. I wouldn't have liked it any softer.

This 'flapjack' was just sweet enough to feel like a treat, even though there's no sugar in it - and it didn't spike my glucose levels... on the days I had no lunch after a big breakfast, I had a slice of this before the dog walk, and a slice when I got back in: it was pretty sustaining. I'm going to make some more tomorrow - which will no doubt be quite different! It's quite a good cake substitute, and would make a good breakfast too.

Last edited:
It's going really well, thanks, my sense of wellbeing has greatly improved, feel fitter, more alert & getting more muscle definition.

In terms of helping with D, not a lot has changed, though I was not expecting miracles as I am generally under very good control.... Not sure if it's related though but my BG levels after eating tend to drop quite nicely at the 2 hour mark, remarkable as I only test if I go off the reservation😱

Now the clocks have changed, I'll add cycling a few times a week..... Unplanned start today when I lost one of the dogs.... She is 16 & going deaf so calling her doesn't do any good but fortunately they have all learned to come home if they get separated from me; we were reunited 10 minutes after dropping the other 2 back home & taking the bike out to look for her (she was already almost home at that point)🙂

Ooh, but you found her, yes?

Yesterday
Breakfast- 1 pork & Armagh Bramley apple sausage, 20g M&S multigrain porridge w/ 100ml almond milk, And coffee with almond milk 100ml (50 for each mug)
Lunch- at a local hotel. Beautiful chicken & leek soup, then disasterous (to my post-prandial) chicken goujan wrap, with salad.
Tea- 2 boiled eggs (trying to mend the error of my ways; didn't work)
Supper- 10 almonds & 1 square Lindt chocolate

New day today.

Yestrday
B - Porridge
L - Chicken sandwich with Burgen and a packet of pom bears
D - Ham, egg, chips and salad (we always got to the pub wednesdays for dinner)
Snacks - handful of mixed nuts

Dogs dinner - Liver, real tasty treat for them & I had to try some just to make sure it was OK..... Wife pissed & moaned about the smell when she got home

D - Salmon with steamed Brussel Sprouts & Broccoli

Today
B - 40g honey granola, 125g greek style yoghurt, cup of cocoa
9:30ish - cup of coffee, milk
D - egg mayo in 2 slices 50/50
2ish - cup of smooth caramel coffee, milk and 2 squares Lindt 90%
T - chicken breast fillet, 2 yorkies, 80g petits pois, some chicken gravy and a lotus biscuit
After t - cup of coffee, milk x

B - 2 slices of toast with turkey breast and cheese slice, coffee

L - egg, bacon, sausage & tomatoes, 1 slice toast, tea

D - turkey breast, kale, spicy cauliflower rice, 2 new pots and salad

snack - chocolate biscuit

Today I ate a load of carb filled rubbish I went to a leaving party and while I avoided the cake I succumbed to the sausage rolls. My BG was 7.8 three hours later so goodness knows what it was like earlier. The only healthy thing I ate was a tomato and that was between two slices of bread ... Still tomorrow is another day and I will be back on it x

Yesterday
B, sliced burgen, toasted with a Tbsp of garlic herb Philadelphia spread and my boiled egg sliced on top. That was a nice change. Coffee & almond milk.
L, Scotch broth with beef.
T, black beans and pureed cauliflower with some of that same Philadelphia. Celery, cucumbers, tomatoes salad

Using up the Philadelphia from hostessing a meeting on Tuesday, but it was really perking up what was in danger of becoming boring. A nice change, but not a long term thing because of the saturated fat. It's always something!

Yestrday
D - Ham, egg, chips and salad (we always got to the pub wednesdays for dinner)
Snacks - handful of mixed nuts

@Stitch147 &. @Kaylz
That dinner is a good idea, I have a long day in Glasgow tomorrow 7a.m. Train (groan) and 7 p.m. To go home.
And the granola and yogurt will travel well on the train. I'm packing a gammon salad for the lunch break.
I love this thread!

Yesterday
B: Toast
L: Crayfish salad & a 9 bar
D: Steak & kidney suet pudding with carrots & peas
Pud: Chocolate fudge cake with strawberries & cream.

It was Thursday night at my Brothers. He was suppose to do the treat AFTER my blood test, not the day before!

Have you always had a fairly predictable range of meals Kaylz or just since you've been diagnosed? I notice you're not deviating from some staples but great if you're enjoying them and they're working. But get that chunky peanut butter Kit Kat soon! :D
Chunky peanut butter Kit Kat - didn't know they existed, sound lush! 😱🙂 I must admit, when I'm in the U.K. I feel bombarded by tempting treats: at the supermarket, on the High Street, just going for a coffee! Consumerism at such an advanced level hasn't reached Asturias yet...phew!🙄

Nice to see people eating pud... life's too short for a pudding ban. Great thread!

Chunky peanut butter Kit Kat - didn't know they existed, sound lush! 😱🙂 I must admit, when I'm in the U.K. I feel bombarded by tempting treats: at the supermarket, on the High Street, just going for a coffee! Consumerism at such an advanced level hasn't reached Asturias yet...phew!🙄

Nice to see people eating pud... life's too short for a pudding ban. Great thread!
They are absolutely delicious you should try one next time your here, 22.8g carbs per bar but could be worse haha 🙂 x

Crayfish salad
Sounds awesome Mark..... One of the highlights of our trip to Vegas was a seafood buffet where they had piles of fresh steamed crawfish.

L - After Yoga treat, 3 mini Empanadas..... OK so the truth is that they are not so mini (but nothing like a Cornish pasty) & did a number on my BG.... Serves me right for being a little piggy
D - Stir fry with veggies, Steelhead Trout & shirataki noodles

I never know how much insulin to take to compensate for the food I eat.
I've downloaded the app carbs and cals but don't know where to start lol. This is what happened before....because I can't work out the carbs and it takes forever, I give up. Last hba1c 88

I never know how much insulin to take to compensate for the food I eat.
I'd defer to an insulin dependent D for advice re insulin, but a good place to start with estimating the carbs in food is a scale (not so easy if you eat out but with practice I'm sure you can start estimating fairly accurately)

Today
B - 45g honey granola, 125g greek style yoghurt and a cup of coffee, milk
9:30ish - cup of coffee, milk
D - ham and cucumber on 2 slices 50/50 toast and a kinder milk slice
2ish - cup of smooth caramel coffee, milk and 2 squares Lindt 90%
T - 1 1/2 pork loin steaks, 100g cheesy mash, 180g cauliflower, some gravy and a digestive for pud haha
currently - cup of coffee, milk x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back