What did you eat yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B: greek yoghurt, blueberries, 10g All Bran
L homemade squash, carrot, red pepper soup, cheese, pate gerkins, tomato, 2 rye crackers, half apple
D: chicken and aubergine curry, pickles, salad, half roll. jelly and cream

We're a good advert for Burgen between us! 🙂
I have noticed alot of Diabetics using Burgen bread. Does it effect levels less? Im trying to regain some ‘normal control’ on my diabetes. My control is so so tight i will skip 3-4 meals in a row to make sure I dont go high. Then have a huge meal because im starving and dump ALOT of insulin in it in one go

Yesterday
B- table spoon or 2 of Greek yoghurt , with raspberries , black berries, blue berries and strawberries plus nuts and chia seeds and almond milk tea
L - leftover Christmas ham + salad - lettuce , tomato , cucumber , cheese , capsicum , egg, avocado , small cut carrot , celery and mixed leafy greens and ranch dressing - water
Dinner - steak with butter and basil as the seasoning and left over salad (same as lunch salad ) with water .

I have noticed alot of Diabetics using Burgen bread. Does it effect levels less? Im trying to regain some ‘normal control’ on my diabetes. My control is so so tight i will skip 3-4 meals in a row to make sure I dont go high. Then have a huge meal because im starving and dump ALOT of insulin in it in one go
Most find that it has less of an impact but it is difficult to come across these days, please speak to your team about how you are feeling, it isn't a healthy relationship to think of food as "bad", I talk from experience (I developed an eating disorder after my Type 1 diagnosis, irrational fear of carbs to be more precise) as for spikes they are totally normal and even non diabetics have them, they aren't something to be scared of, have you looked at adjusting bolus timing to try and decrease the spike? Sometimes that's all it takes xx

B - super berry granola with semi skimmed milk, mug of coffee
D - huge plateful of silverside, baby potatoes, few roast potatoes, roasted sprouts, roasted garlic, huge chunk of sausage meat, 2 cheesy pigs in blankets, 2 plain pigs in blankets and some gravy, after that mountain I had a chunk of double chocolate yule log, glass of blueberry & blackberry robinsons creations with soda water
mug of coffee
T - ham & mayo sandwich, pint of cherries & berries diluting
mug of coffee
before bed - 1 plain digestive, 1 dark chocolate digestive and 2 Lidl Deluxe all butter shortbread fingers, quarter of a pint of water xx

Many of the people who have low carb bread are Type 2 either just dietary managed or taking oral meds so need to be very careful of their carbohydrate intake, that is not to say people on insulin where they can adjust the dose for carbs don't choose that type of bread.

@GurjSooch I found Burgen had less of an impact on my BGs (T1) but haven't been able to get it for ages. Bread is my nemesis for spikes, but I'm afraid I haven't given it up and bolussing ahead helps a lot. Try experimenting with bolussing ahead until you get the right time frame.

New Year's Eve
Brunch: Bacon, scrambled egg , 1 slice Allinson's Scandalously seeded bread toasted (15g carb), black pudding and some mushrooms fried in butter.
Evening: Wasn't hungry when we came home from the pub at 8ish, so had a couple of slices of Ciabatta with some Gorgonzola, Goat's milk camembert and some odds and ends of other cheese.

Saturday:
Brunch: 3 small thin slices from a Ciabatta with some Italian cooked meat (proscuitto, salami, and Coppa), a teensy bit of salmon mousse and some red pepper hommous with one small flatbread.
Dinner: Small Turkey breast wrapped in bacon, steamed kale with blue cheese topping lightly grilled, stir fried sugar snap peas and courgettes. Half a jacket potato that I had scooped the flesh out of and mashed it with creme fraiche and spring onions, piled back into the skin and topped with a little parmesan. Plus gravy.
IMG_20220101_202837229.jpg

B:scrambled egg and smoked salmon, slice toast
L: homemade soup, pate, cheese, 2 rye crackers, celery, gerkin, half pear
D: Gammon, baked potato squash, broccoli with cheese sauce, jelly and cream

I aim to keep my carbs down to 20g a day or fewer. Some days I have fewer than ten.
I never skip a meal unless it is because I slept late and have brunch instead and I always feel full. I am type 2 and control my diabetes by dietary choices alone.
I feel my daily food (I've been doing this for three years now) is more normal than it was before my diagnosis.
One of the things that make a big difference to me is making my own bread with a bread machine that only has around 1 - 2 g net carbs per slice and tastes and feels and can be used exactly like ordinary bread. I swap celeriac/cauliflower mix for mashed potatoes in recipes and use celeriac instead of potato - it can do anything a potato does and I prefer it to potato now as when i have tried potato since changing my way of eating I find potato too bland these days.
The other thing that has made a big easy change is buying xanthan gum in a tub and using it to thicken gravy and chinese-style sauces. This means I can have a very standard looking roast dinner for extremely low carbs whenever I want one.
This was my Christmas dinner but it is pretty typical as a roast dinner - the roasties are celeriac and I didn't fancy gravy or stuffing because I was bored of cooking by then after spending months of Christmas recipe making for my diabetic cookbook. But I could have had stuffing and gravy and bread sauce and still stayed under my carb limits but I would have had fewer sprouts and celeriac and a smaller chunk of carrot. I also had mince pies and Christmas cake with marzipan spread out during the day and had smoked salmon and melba toast for breakfast. All very low carb. I think I went up to around thirty grams of carbs on Christmas Day overall and didn't feel even a bit hard done by. My highest reading was 6.7mmol/L on Christmas Day. With no meds at all.
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 12.45.55 PM.png

Bit of a mixed bag being poorly
Saturday
L - 2 slices of deli turkey, spread with a little cranberry sauce, then rolled up. 1 leftover baked chicken wing. A packet of Quavers
D - Son cooked me a Goodfellas Chicken & herb dressing pizza, ate half of it, then had 3 Belvita breakfast biscuits later.
Snacks - Skinny crunch bar. Graze oats boost bar
Tea, 2 coffees, weak s/f blackcurrant juice, water

Yesterday:
Breakfast - Bacon and keto mince pies and decaff coffee.
Lunch - Roast chicken with Brussels sprouts and sparkling water
Evening meal - keto fake apple pie with extra thick double cream.

I made the fake apple pie with courgette, microwaved with lemon oil and citric acid and cinnamon and sweetener. The crust was a mix of ground almond, coconut flour and xanthan gum and butter and an egg. My husband couldn't believe it wasn't actually apple.
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 2.41.40 PM.png
How the courgette pieces looked after microwaving with the cinnamon and other ingredients to make the 'apple' pie filling.
Screen Shot 2022-01-02 at 2.45.09 PM.png

Most find that it has less of an impact but it is difficult to come across these days, please speak to your team about how you are feeling, it isn't a healthy relationship to think of food as "bad", I talk from experience (I developed an eating disorder after my Type 1 diagnosis, irrational fear of carbs to be more precise) as for spikes they are totally normal and even non diabetics have them, they aren't something to be scared of, have you looked at adjusting bolus timing to try and decrease the spike? Sometimes that's all it takes xx
Thank you for this ♥️ Yes I have a mea plan in place now. Hopefully itll help me loose weight too. I can stick to that. Yes they referred me to a dietitian and things are going well. I see her again in early February. We discussed this early december and i have been organised with meals

@GurjSooch I found Burgen had less of an impact on my BGs (T1) but haven't been able to get it for ages. Bread is my nemesis for spikes, but I'm afraid I haven't given it up and bolussing ahead helps a lot. Try experimenting with bolussing ahead until you get the right time frame.

New Year's Eve
Brunch: Bacon, scrambled egg , 1 slice Allinson's Scandalously seeded bread toasted (15g carb), black pudding and some mushrooms fried in butter.
Evening: Wasn't hungry when we came home from the pub at 8ish, so had a couple of slices of Ciabatta with some Gorgonzola, Goat's milk camembert and some odds and ends of other cheese.

Saturday:
Brunch: 3 small thin slices from a Ciabatta with some Italian cooked meat (proscuitto, salami, and Coppa), a teensy bit of salmon mousse and some red pepper hommous with one small flatbread.
Dinner: Small Turkey breast wrapped in bacon, steamed kale with blue cheese topping lightly grilled, stir fried sugar snap peas and courgettes. Half a jacket potato that I had scooped the flesh out of and mashed it with creme fraiche and spring onions, piled back into the skin and topped with a little parmesan. Plus gravy.
View attachment 19639
That looks delicious! ♥️

This week's menus:

Saturday Pulled Ham with Mustard Sauce (Pinch of Nom Comfort Food)
Yesterday Roasted Loin of Pork, Sprouts, Braised Red Cabbage, Carrots and Mash for the family
Monday Crispy Chilli Beef (Pinch of Nom Web Site)
Tuesday Butter Chicken (Pinch of Nom Comfort Food)
Wednesday Lamb with Chestnuts (200 Tagine Recipes)
Thursday Cajun Spiced Chicken (Hairy Dieters)
Friday Salt and Pepper Ribs (Pinch of Nom Web Site)

Saturday was a new dish for me and was very tasty. Monday through Thursday are also new ones for me.

Another mixed bag as still wasn't up to cooking

Sunday
L - Belvita breakfast biscuits
D - One piece of KFC chicken with a few skin-on fries and a blob of mayo. Cherry bakewell oats boost bar.
Snacks - baked crisps and a skinny crunch bar

Nescafe caramel coffee sachet, Twining's chamomile and honey tea, weak Ki-Ora NAS orange squash, water.
Hoping I will be up to cooking today...

B: cheese on toast with poached egg
L: mackerel, cucumber, tomato, pepper, 2 crackers. cheese. half pear
D: gammon, stirfry mix veg, strawberries and cream

B - super berry granola with semi skimmed milk. mug of coffee
D - cheesy scrambled egg sandwich and a chunk of double chocolate yule log
T - silverside, baby potatoes, roast sprouts, sausage meat, 2 pigs in blankets, 2 cheesy pigs in blankets, roasted garlic and gravy, pint of cherries & berries diluting
mug of coffee
Bedtime - 3 all butter shortbread fingers, half a dark chocolate digestive, half a pint of water

@janw is that the Graze ones? Are they nice? xx

@janw is that the Graze ones? Are they nice? xx
Yes they are the Graze ones. I like them but I can't taste any resemblance to a cherry bakewell cake - I think I got closer to that messing with oddments of keto pastry, I adding NAS jam to it and I felt it just needed some desiccated coconut and it would have tasted very similar. I've since bought some of the coconut, so might give that a try one of these days....better still I now have my lovely digital scales to play with too 🙂

Breakfast 200cal Asda Vanilla diet shake
Workout at the gym
Lunch 200cal Slimfast salted caramel diet shake
Swimming
Home made 200cal chicken stew,

No alcohol.

Welcome to the New Year Resolution. 🙄

@adrian1der good to see you posting on this thread again. Your menu is impressive and my mouth is watering! Thanks for mentioning Pinch of Nom website... I have spent half a morning exploring it and am quite excited by some of the recipes. Hubby needs to lose weight so I shall look forward to cooking some recipes from it.

Sunday
Brunch: Home made beetroot and fennel soup with creme fraiche. 2 slices Scandalous seeded bread and butter.
Dinner: Leftovers from Sunday - Turkey breast, spinach with blue cheese, courgettes and sugar snaps, fresh stuffed jackets.

Monday:
Brunch: Pork and port pate with 2 slices of nasty wholemeal toast that sent levels soaring. Apparently there was no decent bread on the shelves when hubby went shopping.
Dinner: Had a long drive to ASDA to pick up some new specs for me. Had hoped they would have Burgen, but there was barely anything on the shelves. Picked up some beer battered fish for dinner as we had to do some errands on the way home and knew we would get home too late for me to do any serious cooking. So dinner was the fish with some jacket wedges and peas. Surprisingly the fish was actually very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back