What did you eat yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turnips are big and orange, used to make lanterns at Halloween. Hard to peel, but nice mashed with butter and pepper or chopped up in mince or scotch broth soup.

Yesterday.
B. Avocado. Slice of wholemeal toast and butter ( We were in mid-CH upgrade, nothing like waking up to an unheated house for sharpening the appetite)
Mid am Cappucino
L. Kale and sundry other veg soup, half an apple, satsuma, 2sq 90% choc
Mid pm. Small slice of sourdough ( trying out new local one-man bakery enterprise) with butter.
D. Braised Brisket with the diced veg it was cooked with, baked sweet potato, cheese, 2 glasses red wine.

Turnips are big and orange, used to make lanterns at Halloween. Hard to peel, but nice mashed with butter and pepper or chopped up in mince or scotch broth soup.
Now the big orange ones, that's what I'd call a swede! Turnips round here are small and white.

Swede to me are the smaller white ones, softer, easier to peel with purple on the skin. Lol don't make good lanterns

Yesterday
B - 2 slices Burgen bread toasted
D - 2 vegetable grills and small tin of sweetcorn
Supper - 3 oatcakes with cheese and a few glasses of red wine

Haven't had turnip since a child in stew! Swede is nice mashed with carrot, pasnip and butter.

Turnips in my recipes are the white things. The big orange things round out way are swedes.🙂

@carol. We use PUMPKINS at Halloween, they're orange & huge! The flesh is scooped out, to make room for the candles, then the flesh is used to make pumpkin soup!!! So much fun!

Last edited:
Swede to me are the smaller white ones, softer, easier to peel with purple on the skin. Lol don't make good lanterns
@carol. The one you describe with purple on skin is what I call a parsnip!!!! Oh rabbits!

No, parsnips are the long carrot shaped white ones that go brown once air hits them, quite spicey

@carol. We use PUMPKINS at Halloween, they're orange & huge! The flesh is scooped out, to make room for the candles, then it used to make pumpkin soup!!! So much fun!
A happy you are a young thing. When I was wee, you got turnips for pumpkins, before Walmart got their mitts on asda. That's when trick or treat was guising lol

I have the official line here, according to turnips.co.uk. Yes, that website really does exist.:D In England, a turnip is a small white root veg which is often purple at one end. A swede is a larger root veg usually orangy in colour. In Scotland & N. Ireland, the swede is called a turnip & the turnip is known as a winter turnip. My wife is from Yorkshire & calls the white things turnips & the orangy ones swedes.

Now the big orange ones, that's what I'd call a swede! Turnips round here are small and white.
I agree Robin ......Edited: but only with the turnips. I don't call the big orange ones a swede, I call the smaller type a swede!

Last edited:
I have the official line here, according to turnips.co.uk. Yes, that website really does exist.:D In England, a turnip is a small white root veg which is often purple at one end. A swede is a larger root veg usually orangy in colour. In Scotland & N. Ireland, the swede is called a turnip & the turnip is known as a winter turnip. My wife is from Yorkshire & calls the white things turnips & the orangy ones swedes.
Which part of Yorkshire? Not the part I grew up in! 😱 :D We didn't have pumpkins for lanterns either, and we didn't do trick or treating - instead we had 'Mischief Night' which was 4th November and was in celebration of Guy Fawkes planting the gunpowder in the HP 😱 We use to do stuff like put treacle on doorknobs, swap gates round etc. 😱 :D

@mark. So what are the Finns called! Haha!

Which part of Yorkshire? Not the part I grew up in! 😱 :D We didn't have pumpkins for lanterns either, and we didn't do trick or treating - instead we had 'Mischief Night' which was 4th November and was in celebration of Guy Fawkes planting the gunpowder in the HP 😱 We use to do stuff like put treacle on doorknobs, swap gates round etc. 😱 :D
Tied up door handles to gates lol

Up here in Scotland they are very rarely referred to as turnips they are neeps x

Up here in Scotland they are very rarely referred to as turnips they are neeps x
Hi Kaylz.....wondered how long it would take for you to join this thread! Well, Neep is now another root veg we can add to the list! We live & learn every day eh?! x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back