• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes. If you need any information regarding vaccines, they can be found here : Updates: Vaccines
  • Want to share your experiences of the coronavirus pandemic? Take our survey:Covid Healthcare Survey.

What did you eat yesterday?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Last night - 3 and a half chocolate gingerbread digestives

Today

7 Lift glucose tabs

B - porridge with 2 squares Lidl 95% and a mug of toasted marshmallow flavoured coffee
D - wholemeal german salami sandwich and a bar Moser Roth Sour Cherry & Chilli Mousse Au Chocolat
Shortly - mug of cafetiere coffee
T will be - chicken breast stuffed with spring onions and extra mature cheddar (mum forgot to get mozzarella on Friday and the local shops don't stock it) wrapped in prosciutto, baby potatoes and roast sprouts and a square of Lidl 95%
xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oh...forgot to post the last few days..
Breakfast and lunch have been the same as usual so..
Sat dinner - chicken on creamy cheesy leeks with new potatoes
Sun dinner - gammon and cauliflower cheese
Mon dinner - slow cooked beef stew
Tonight dinner - sausage, bacon egg, mushrooms, tomatoes....

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fasting reading 4.2 16 units of Levemir and 3.5 units of Fiasp (2.5 for breakfast and 1 for Foot on the Floor/DP)

Breakfast...
Glass of water with a dash of balsamic vinegar and a splash of diet cola, a teaspoon of psyllium husk and a teapoon of chia seeds, mixed well and allowed to start gelling before being drank, followed by a glass of water.
Cup of coffee with cream.
3 dessert spoon dollops of creamy Greek yoghurt with 3 heaped teaspoons of defrosted frozen summer berries, a dessert spoon of mixed seeds and a sprinkle of low carb granola (approx 25g carbs)

Lunch No bolus insulin as low carb...
Large plate of salad including mixed leaves, an inch of cucmuber, avocado, 2 large cherry tomatoes and a snack sized sweet pepper with a big dollop of cheese coleslaw and balsamic vinegar to dress the salad... I've got a real taste for sourness at the moment!
I did need to jab myself a single unit correction later in the afternoon as levels went up to 8 and stuck there.

Dinner... low carb so no bolus insulin
Rib-eye steak with fried mushrooms, salad and cheese coleslaw (needs using up) and a cup of tea.

Levels went up to 8 after dinner and stayed there despite a 6 mile brisk walk.
Glass of rum and diet coke.

Bedtime reading 8.1 but that dropped during the night thanks to the exercise.

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Glass of water with a dash of balsamic vinegar and a splash of diet cola, a teaspoon of psyllium husk and a teapoon of chia seeds, mixed well and allowed to start gelling before being drank
I can't begin to imagine what this tastes like or what the texture is like. Sweet...sour...gloopy? Is it filling?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I can't begin to imagine what this tastes like or what the texture is like. Sweet...sour...gloopy? Is it filling?
Yes, it is a sweet and sour combination... not strong because only a dash of both in a glass full of water and yes it becomes a bit gelatinous before you drink it but I really enjoy it. Best of all are the effects the next morning. ;) Can't tell you how great my digestive system is working now as a result... at least not without going into far too much detail :eek:.... but even if it tasted horrid, I would continue for the benefits I feel I get from it. But you could flavour the water with whatever you choose and then stir the fibre elements in and drink it.... I personally (instinctively) feel that the mild acidity from the balsamic (or ACV when I use that) has beneficial properties both for digestion and BG levels though. I am not quite sure how the coke came to be added... probably because I always dilute my diet coke at least 50/50 with water but usually 25/75 as it is far too sweet undiluted to my tastes now, so I often drink water with a dash of coke in it and water with a dash of some sort of vinegar at breakfast and somehow the 2 got combined and hit the spot.... always liked sweet and sour combined....

I appreciate it is weird but Blooming Heck!... it works great!!

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
appreciate it is weird but Blooming Heck!... it works great!!
I must admit it does sound weird but its obviously working ;). I have some psyllium husk powder but never used it in a drink. I bought it to try in a low carb bread recipe though that had an odd texture

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The reason I use it in a drink is that it is prescribed in the form of Fibogel to elderly people to improve digestive tract movement... which is tipped into a glass of water, stirred and consumed.
It is important to increase fluid intake as well as fibre so combining them has a double benefit and the whole thing with the chia seeds produces a soft bulk of gel which passes through the digestive tract en mass pushing everything else through and kind of cleansing the system and producing one nice regular, easy, good consistency BM each day. I feel soooo much better for that end result alone.
The Fibogel stuff is flavoured and may also contain carbs, I haven't checked but I don't use that. I buy Regucol from Holland and Barratt which also has a probiotic incorporated into it. Not sure how effective the probiotic is but I have tried other brands of psyllium without the probiotic and not found them as effective.... but I wasn't also using chia seeds and I think the combination of the two is helpful.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday
B 1 - 2 glucose tabs
B 2 - porridge with 2 squares Lindt 90% and a mug of toasted marshmallow flavoured coffee
Unwanted snack - 2 glucose tabs
D - wholemeal sandwich with 4 Lidl deluxe chipolatas (they are too big to be classed as a chipolata but never mind lol) Barny strawberry sponge bear and a pint of water
Mug of cafetiere coffee
T - last of the leftover turkey, steamed sprouts and baby potatoes with a huge dollop of mayo and 1 square Lidl 95%
Mug of coffee
4 digestives
xx

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Those Deluxe Lidl chipolatas are tasty though even though they aren't small. 95% meat if I remember rightly... Yum! Will be on my shopping list for tomorrow I think. You can always cut them in half to make them more chipolata sized.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Those Deluxe Lidl chipolatas are tasty though even though they aren't small. 95% meat if I remember rightly... Yum! Will be on my shopping list for tomorrow I think. You can always cut them in half to make them more chipolata sized.
They most certainly are, I bought them for myself as don't know if the butchers add anything to their chipolatas and that's what the rest of them eat at Christmas and New Year and I usually just do without, got another packet for this weekend but think they'll be a new regular, fine size for me but they shouldn't be advertised as chipolatas imo xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday -
B- porridge with a small drizzle of cream
L- wholemeal ham and egg sandwich, satsuma and plain yoghurt with a few almonds
D- chicken stuffed with soft cheese and sundried tomatoes, wrapped in bacon with a spoonful of couscous flavoured with harissa

Today-
B- as ydsterday
L- egg sandwich and yoghurt as yesterday
D- will be low carb pizza and salad, base made from ground almonds, egg, grated courgette and parmesan

:eek: just remembered, i went shopping this morning and forgot to pick up toppings for pizza!!! Will havr to ring OH and get him to pick them up or substitute dinner for something else tonight!

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've allowed myself one daily treat over Xmas - a slice of homemade Xmas cake. It was made by my wife's nephew and he did brilliantly. It's delicious. I have no idea how many carbs there are in a slice so I've reduced my intake of bread and nuts over the festive period to offset some or all of them, and I don't eat the icing or the marzipan.

As for the rest of the Xmas goodies - mince pies, Xmas pudding, yule log, trifle, Quality Street - haven't had any of them.

Martin

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today
1 Lift tab
B - porridge with 2 squares Lindt 90% and a mug of coffee
11am - 2 Lift tabs
D - wholemeal spicy chorizo sandwich and a Barny strawberry sponge bear, pint of water
mug of cafetiere coffee
T - mince in oxo with mushrooms, spring onions, garlic granules and an egg dropped in, boiled baby potatoes and steamed sprouts with a knob of butter, 1 square Lidl 95%, pint of blueberry & blackberry diluting
mug of coffee

Now have my MIL on the look out for a couple of Terry's Dark Chocolate Orange's, I'd been trying for weeks to get 1 each for my mum and grandad's Christmas but they were always out of stock, one week Morrison's finally had them! Now I want one they are no longer stocking them! :(
xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
just remembered, i went shopping this morning and forgot to pick up toppings for pizza!!! Will havr to ring OH and get him to pick them up or substitute dinner for something else tonight
Meal saved. Older dsughter went for petrol and called in shop for me then dropped it on the doorstep. Phew! Meal saved...and it was delicious

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yesterday
B - usual porridge with 2 squares Lindt 90% and a mug of coffee
D - silverside, boiled sprouts, baby potatoes, roasted garlic, chunk of sausage meat and gravy, chunk of double chocolate yule log and a glass of blueberry & blackberry diluting with soda water
mug of cafetiere coffee
T - rest of the sausage meat on a sandwich :oops: and a mug of coffee
2 and a half hobnobs

Today
B - same as yesterday
1 glucose chew as had fallen in to the 6's even though started on 7.0 and had a reduced bolus (I don't have a clue either) but had strenuous activity to do (move a mattress) so thought I'd be safer
D - good call, in the 5's, without that chew would've been lower - wholemeal sausage sandwich, cadbury roses strawberry cake bar and a pint of water
mug of cafetiere coffee
T - leftover silverside, baby potatoes, roasted sprouts and garlic, 3 sausages partially wrapped in bacon (mum couldn't spare me anymore of the bacon my grandad bought to do their chipolatas but they had plenty) gravy, 1 square Lidl 95% and a pint of blueberry & blackberry diluting
mug of coffee
xx

freesia

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yestersay
B-poridge with almond butter
L- cheese and onion sandwich, satsuma, yoghurt with raspberries and walnuts
D- Jambalaya

Today
B- porridge with almond butter
L- prawn salad sandwich, satsuma, yoghurt as yesterday
D- steak, swede chips, mushroom and blue cheese sauce, mini eclairs

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday.
streaky bacon grilled and two scrambled eggs with black decaff coffee.

Lunch:
Chinese takeaway style chicken soup - made with chicken oxo cube, spring onion, slice of ginger, six strips of cooked chicken, sliced mushroom, splash of sesame oil, splash of soya sauce - boiling water and nuked in microwave for three minutes.

Evening meal:
Same but with less water and a pack of konjac noodles stirred in plus six prawns and a dollop of low carb smokey barbecue sauce.

Snack before bed: A chunk of Castello Blue soft cheese and a cup of hot chocolate.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As for the rest of the Xmas goodies - mince pies, Xmas pudding, yule log, trifle, Quality Street - haven't had any of them. - Martin
I think I had your share! o_O In fact I know I did! I had all those. Got to get real, liver defunct.

Friday 1st Jan 2021 Happy New Year :) - 15stones 0.2pounds Tum: 50 1/2inches
B: 7.2 @ 6.32am / Pt Water with fibre / Duck In Plum Sauce (cold Chinese leftovers), bowl rhubarb / Pt Water with meds
L: Pt Water / Vanilla SlimFast Bottle
D: Pt Water / Chocolate Tesco Slim Mix / Pt Water / Strawberry Tesco Slim Mix / Pt Water
Saturday 2nd Jan - 14stones 13.8pounds Tum 51inches
(Don't know why my reading was so high but could hardly get any blood out).
B: 9.3 @ 6.20am / Pt Water with fibre / Vanilla SlimFast Bottle / Pt Water with meds
L: Banana Tesco Slim Mix
D: Boil In The Bag Fish, Boiled Potatoes, Mix Veg, Cauli (huge plateful, too much), Bowl Rhubarb, Clotted Cream, Rice Pudding / Pt Water
(I was only going to have rhubarb and cream thinking this to be healthy but my brother then dunked on tinned rice pudding agh).

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Yesterday
Brunch: Smoked haddock and scrambled eggs with decaff coffee

Evening meal: Boiled ham with celeriac and sprouts - fizzy water with no sugar lemon squash

Four squares of Montezuma 100% cocoa chocolate

1 mug of cocoa with cream and no carb salted caramel syrup.

It looks like a super 'good' day but my portion control was out of control!! Three pieces of haddock with two eggs and a LOT of boiled ham.

I have started doing some boxing exercises using my VR headset and I plan to do more and more of that every day which shouldn't be difficult as it is so much fun. I managed thirty minutes today without even really trying.

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Chicken breast fillet cut into strips, placed in a shallow oven-proof dish, seasoned then covered with a sauce made in a blender from sun-dried tomatoes, single cream, butter, basil leaves, water and lemon juice. 30 minutes in the oven at 180. Served with a selection of fresh veg.

Known as Sacha's Chicken in my wife's recipe book.