• Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here
  • Want to share your experiences of the coronavirus pandemic? Take our survey:Covid Healthcare Survey.

What did you eat yesterday?

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Was wondering how the experiments were progressing. It looks delicious. How yeasty does it taste? .... I like a nice yeasty taste. For me that makes it taste and smell more homemade. Is this a seeded loaf?
This is a full yeast bread. It tastes exactly like a nice yeasty brown loaf. This particular loaf is not seeded but I will experiment to see what it is like with seeds added. I expect it will be fine to add whatever your favourite seeds are at the stage in the bread machine cycle where it allows for adding seeds etc into the mix.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Oh gosh! A yeasty brown loaf that is low carb.... Heaven!
Brown bread toast goes best with butter and Marmite. Can't wait to try some. Do you have any idea of timescale?... Sorry, trying desperately hard not to be pushy!!:oops:

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Brown bread toast goes best with butter and Marmite. Can't wait to try some. Do you have any idea of timescale?... Sorry, trying desperately hard not to be pushy!!:oops:
I'm hoping to be able to post some out by the end of next week. Does your machine do 2lb loaves? I do mine on that setting to make sure it cooks all the way through without getting a soggy middle.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Does your machine do 2lb loaves?
I have no idea so I am going to have to see if I can find the manual and also just check that it is still working for that matter.... otherwise I will have to make arrangements to beg, borrow or steal one.... Pretty sure my brother has one next door because I seem to remember buying him one, so should be able to borrow that one if need be.
I now have some homework to do to get things up and running in readiness but I won't be overly unhappy if I end up with a "soggy middle". It may take me a few experiments to figure out the best program to use, but will bear that in mind with my feedback.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just done for my husband - I don't eat beans because they set me off - but he won't eat the 'ordinary' bread any more - he just wants my keto stuff because he says it is nicer. These are the slices I froze and I popped them in the toaster still frozen and they came out perfectly!!Screenshot 2020-11-24 at 18.42.53.png

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Looks fab!
I have to say, I was toying with the idea of beans on toast if I am to have access to such low carb bread. I have some sugar free ones in the back of the cupboard I think and I am fortunate to be able to inject insulin to cover the beans if necessary, but probably just limit myself to one slice not the 4 slices with a whole can of beans I used to devour pre diagnosis! :eek: If I go for a good walk afterwards I should get away with it without insulin.
Loving the idea of putting sandwiches and soup with bread and the odd slice of beans on toast back on the menu.... and of course a slice of Marmite and toast every now and then!..... And soft boiled eggs with soldiers!!! This is really going to revolutionize my diet yet again!
I'm sooooo excited!!!

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today
B - oats made with almond milk and 35g crunchy peanut butter, mug of coffee
D - wholemeal spicy chorizo sandwich and a caramel rocky, pint of water
Afternoon - mug of cafetiere coffee
T - chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella and spring onions wrapped in prosciutto, baby potatoes and roasted sprouts, 1 square Lidl 95% and a pint of blueberry and blackberry diluting
Mug of coffee
xx

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have no idea so I am going to have to see if I can find the manual and also just check that it is still working for that matter.... otherwise I will have to make arrangements to beg, borrow or steal one.... Pretty sure my brother has one next door because I seem to remember buying him one, so should be able to borrow that one if need be.
I now have some homework to do to get things up and running in readiness but I won't be overly unhappy if I end up with a "soggy middle". It may take me a few experiments to figure out the best program to use, but will bear that in mind with my feedback.
My bread maker always left a hole in the bottom of the loaf, from the mixing paddle.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
My bread maker always left a hole in the bottom of the loaf, from the mixing paddle.
Don't all bread makers do that? The last few I made with it, the paddle got stuck inside the loaf when I took the loaf out of the tin.

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today..... because I just picked at low carb stuff again yesterday instead of having a proper meal....

Breakfast.... Fasting reading 4.2 ... 3 units of Fiasp to cover breakfast and DP/FOTF 16 units of Levemir
Glass of water with a dash of balsamic vinegar and a dash of diet coke ... that was a really tasty combination and will do that again. Cup of coffee with cream and a chunk of cheese (Jarlsberg)

2 good dollops of creamy Greek natural yoghurt (approx 100mls) with a dessert spoon of mixed seeds, teaspoon of psyllium husk, a few defrosted, frozen summer berries and a sprinkle of Lidl Deluxe Nutty Granola (Approx. 20g carbs total)

No lunch but did lots of exercise and had 3 squares of Aldi Cherry and Chilli dark chocolate (approx. 15g carbs) to keep me from dropping too low throughout the afternoon and some water to drink.

Evening..... BG 5.1 No Fiasp as keeping it quite low carb and hoping afternoon exercise and a bit more tonight will do the rest...
Small bowl of vegetable soup (10g carbs)
Salmon fillet marinaded in lemon juice and pan fried in butter with mushrooms and aubergine and served with savoy cabbage, broccoli and 2 pieces of sweet potato. (approx 20g carbs)

Went out afterwards to get more exercise and BG topped out at 10.5
Currently 9.6 but hoping it will come down a little more to allow me some yoghurt for dessert but if not it will be cheese and a small glass of port before bed.

I really like just having to have 2 injections of insulin all day and get to eat a little chocolate in the process!

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Don't all bread makers do that? The last few I made with it, the paddle got stuck inside the loaf when I took the loaf out of the tin.
That is the way of bread makers. You can avoid it by taking the dough out just before the last rise and putting it in a loaf tin and setting it to have its last rise outside the machine and then finishing the loaf in the oven if it is something that annoys.

You can also take the dough out of the machine and then remove the paddle just before the last rise in the machine - but I've found the bread sticks to the spoke in the middle and rips a hole anyway.

The paddle is supposed to come out of the machine and stay in the bread - you should wait for it to cool and then remove the paddle carefully. When you slice the bread it hardly makes any difference to slices and then only a few in the middle.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Do not know I only had the one and it is only of the early ones. I have not used for years not sure I still have it.
I started my bread machine adventures the first lockdown using a machine I inherited from my father - he bought it in the nineties and it still works fine. I bought a new one because I wanted a different shape loaf. The old one makes a tall thin shape and the new one makes a traditional loaf shape. Here they are side by side.
Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 10.57.27.png

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@NotWorriedAtAll Yes mine is the old type that makes a tall square loaf and will be one of the early ones. Will I need to adjust the timing on your loaf for that to give it longer of with it being tall and square will it cook quicker do you think?

When I first started using it, I am pretty sure the paddle would stay attached to the spindle in the bottom, but the last few times I used it (still ages ago) it came out in the loaf and I had to dig it out. I don't care a hoot about having a hole in my loaf. Plenty of times you get a loaf from the supermarket with a great air gap under the crust. Actually less of a problem having a hole in the bottom I think.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@NotWorriedAtAll Yes mine is the old type that makes a tall square loaf and will be one of the early ones. Will I need to adjust the timing on your loaf for that to give it longer of with it being tall and square will it cook quicker do you think?

When I first started using it, I am pretty sure the paddle would stay attached to the spindle in the bottom, but the last few times I used it (still ages ago) it came out in the loaf and I had to dig it out. I don't care a hoot about having a hole in my loaf. Plenty of times you get a loaf from the supermarket with a great air gap under the crust. Actually less of a problem having a hole in the bottom I think.
I've not seen any appreciable difference when making loaves in the machines other than the shape at the end. Just chose whatever program takes around 3 hours and it will work. If you have a crust setting choose light or normal but not dark.

Iwillgetthere

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Two glorious things happened- I made cloud bread and I tried almond butter. Both delicious.
The cloud bread I had with skinny sauce maple syrup and a spoon of Greek yog and sprinkle of chopped almonds, like pancakes.
The almond butter was a spoon full on Greek yog with chia seeds and linseed.
Has anyone any ideas for more uses or favourite almond butter/ cloud bread recipes?

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Iwillgetthere to be honest I like almond butter just off the spoon, on a square of dark chocolate etc, you can coat chicken/veggies with it xx

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Today
B - oats made with almond milk and 2 squares Lidl 95% (no time to weigh nut butters out at the moment unfortunately) mug of coffee
D - wholemeal german salami sandwich and a mint club biscuit
mug of cafetiere coffee
T - mince with mushrooms, spring onions and an egg, boiled baby potatoes, steamed sprouts and another square Lidl 95%, pint of blackberry & blueberry diluting
mug of coffee

Yes really not drinking enough but trying to not need to pee in a bucket! Normal liquid intake will resume when the toilet is available to use at my leisure
xx