Not open for further replies.
Yesterday.
B: Greek yoghurt, berries & seeds
L: Tuna salad
D: Belly pork & ratatouille

Yesterday
B - Porridge
L - Lidl protein roll with ham and mustard and a packet of crisps
D - We went to a curry and quiz night, i had some chicken tikka masala and vegetable curry with 1 poppadom, idnt have any rice or bombay potato. (And we came 10th out of 26 teams)

Yesterdays menu
B.. A toasted sausage sandwich (nimble bread)
L.. Two chicken breasts one scoop of mash and Brussels sprouts
T.. Cheese sandwich ... One piece of scampi and a yogurt
Snacks .. Two rich tea biscuits
Oh Steven how I miss pies but alas I have not succumbed to any pastry type meals since diagnosis but will admit that I long for a Cornish pasty xx

I had pie & chips as a treat a few weeks ago. Sent my BG over 10!😱

@STEVEN BRYDGES. Hi there. Yes I think you need to revise your menu's.

I would heed @Northerner, his advice is sound.

I've not tried Burgen bread yet. Went into Asda at the wkend to buy but they only had soya & linseed loaves & soya doesn't like me!

A lot of folk on here keep Aldi staff in jobs buying burgen bread + more. I must make a visit.

I've only been here one month & still finding it's a case of trial and error. I do take a peek at what other folk on here are eating & have tried a few menu's to see how it affects my BGL's. Pie & chips are a no-no for me much as I'd love to demolish fish & chops from the chippy eating out of the paper!! My tongue is hanging out at the thought 😛 But you can still eat fish. Fresh salmon, fresh trout, fresh tuna etc Tinned pilchards in tomato sauce and tinned sardines are ok too. @Amigo knows much about fish! I make my own meals - that way I know exactly what I am eating.

I often follow idea's from other folk for breakfast, lunch, and dinner menu's. My menu for Thurs 14 Feb gave me higher Bgl's than normal at bedtime! So it indicates to me that I should rethink that particular days menu or at least cut the portion size.

Portion size is detriment, so best cut down the size of your meals. ie. 1 weetabix as opposed to 2-3. I have recently switched to Truvia sweeteners & Truvia granulated sweetener to have on cereals. It looks like a very refined sugar & is light as, a feather:-
Truvia.
Per 0.5g. Fat or. 5g of which 0.1 saturates.
Carbohydrate 0.5g of which 0.5g sugar
Fibre 0.5g
Protein 0.5g
Salt 0.01
NB. Not everyone agrees to the use of sweeteners.

Folk reading this post will, I'm sure add further with their tips & recommendations. Take care

Diagnosed Type2 April 2016
Metformin withdrawn
Diet & exercise only atm.

Thank you.

I know Asda sell Burgen bread. I didn't know Aldi did. The pie and chips will be a rare treat. I usually make my own meals. Just bought a slow cooker/hotpot. Tried making some soup in it last week. Turned out OK. Lasted till yesterday.

For breakfast I have been having porridge most days with one or two sliced strawberries. Apart from that it is usually 3 slices of toast with either, occasionally cheese or Morissons low fat spread.

I haven't added any sugar or any kind of sweetener for at least 20 years. If I do have any kind of cereal it with either skimmed or semi skimmed milk and have been using this since I had a cerebral clot in 2004

I see a lot of people are on low carb high fat diets. That's interesting . I have been told by various people nurses, the Desmond team etc to go low fat.

Cutting down on the carbs is going to be the main thing with food.

I will have to look up the recipes on this site to get some ideas for main meals. A lot of the things I used to eat I can't even think of now.

Life is full of challenges!

Like I say there will be a lot of trial and error.

I walk for 120 minutes most days. When it is working I use the Turbo trainer for at least 30 minutes.

When I can get it working I am going to try high intensity to see what difference that makes.

I am a good weight for my size. 14 stone and 6 foot.

My main aim is to get the glucose levels down.

Once again thank you to everyone who has replied to me since I joined.

I will listen to any advice or constructive criticism.

Thank you.

I know Asda sell Burgen bread. I didn't know Aldi did. The pie and chips will be a rare treat. I usually make my own meals. Just bought a slow cooker/hotpot. Tried making some soup in it last week. Turned out OK. Lasted till yesterday.

For breakfast I have been having porridge most days with one or two sliced strawberries. Apart from that it is usually 3 slices of toast with either, occasionally cheese or Morissons low fat spread.

I haven't added any sugar or any kind of sweetener for at least 20 years. If I do have any kind of cereal it with either skimmed or semi skimmed milk and have been using this since I had a cerebral clot in 2004

I see a lot of people are on low carb high fat diets. That's interesting . I have been told by various people nurses, the Desmond team etc to go low fat.

I will have to look up the recipes on this site to get some ideas for main meals. A lot of the things I used to eat I can't even think of now.

I walk for 120 minutes most days. When it is working I use the Turbo trainer for at least 30 minutes.

When I can get it working I am going to try high intensity to see what difference that makes.

There are lots of good recipes on here or even if you google low carb recipes there are thousands on there I made parmesan chicken breast fillets that I found on the internet, it was delicious and even my OH ate it and he isn't keen on mayo or parmesan so win win haha good luck 🙂 x

B: 2 nimble bread, toasted
L: Packet of pork pieces, some pistachio nuts and a fro age grains (8g of carbs, but was craving something sweet)
D: piece of steak (Morrisons doing 2 for a fiver at the moment - get down there, they are awesome) sprouts, carrots, sugar snap peas and baby corn (all steamed)
No snacks apart from a few more pistachio nuts (oh and I stole 10 hoops of my partners beef hula hoops - I counted and savoured every single one lol)

Thank you.

I do LCHF and it works for me but doesn't suit everyone. I've lost 4 stone in a year & cholestrol has reduced too. I don't exercise as much as I should. Always find it difficult to get motivated in the Winter.

Menu for Wednesday 150217
BG 5.9 @ 7.17am
Bottle water with fibre

Brunch:
3 ex lg Fried Eggs (sheer greed), 4oz Shallots (just needed to get rid of them!), Can Mushrooms 156g, 4 rashers Bacon.
Pt Aspirin water, meds, cod liver oil capsule.
BG 6.2 @ 11.34am - BG 6.2 @ 1.04pm

Dinner:
Chicken and bacon with a cheesy covering, 1/2 Camembert. No idea of the carbs.
Bottle water and a Levothyroxine pill.
BG 5.7 @ 8.16pm

Digital scales: 15stones 0pounds
Tum - 48 but I feel I should add the 1/2 just in case...it'll all probably go back up again tomorrow as usual. Two steps forward one step back. 🙂

Yesterday:
Brunch - scrambled egg and bacon
D - Pork casserole with broccoli and carrots

Thank you.

I personally do not do LCHF but I have cut my carbs considerably. I guess I eat a lower carb med fat diet if that's how it should be defined. What I do is eat to my meter if it spikes my blood sugar I don't eat it. Personally I have found this to work for me but as I have come to understand by being on here there is certainly not an all size fits all diabetic diet x I hope you manage to find the most suitable diet for you x good luck x

The S&L version is actually the one that we recommend as it is lower carb per slice than most other breads (due to some of the flour being replaced with soya flour). The other versions of Burgen are higher in carbs than the S&L one, so it's
Today
B - 1 kingsmill cinnamon and raisin toastie (oh my god they are so delicious will defo be buying more)
9:45ish - cup of coffee, milk
D - 6 small slices spicy chorizo, mayo and some tomato on 2 slices 50/50 bread
3ish - cup of roasted hazelnut coffee, milk and 2 squares Lindt 90%
T - 3 pork and leek sausages, 2 yorkies, carrots and some gravy
After t - cup of coffee, milk
Oh forgot the can of diet coke or should I say half a can after it slipped and poured half of it on the car floor :( lol x
There are lots of good recipes on here or even if you google low carb recipes there are thousands on there I made parmesan chicken breast fillets that I found on the internet, it was delicious and even my OH ate it and he isn't keen on mayo or parmesan so win win haha good luck 🙂 x
@Kaylz. hey ho yet another burn, this time on right index finger!!! Ovens? Wish they'd burn up my cals & carbs!! Hope you're OK, take care

Diagnosed April 2016
Diet & exercise only atm

Last edited:
The S&L version is actually the one that we recommend as it is lower carb per slice than most other breads (due to some of the flour being replaced with soya flour). The other versions of Burgen are higher in carbs than the S&L one, so it's a shame soya doesn't like you :(
@Northerner. Thanks for that titbit of info. Been thinking....i do miss having toast at breakfast time & as it 's a while since soya upset me, I might just give burgen a try. So off to Aldi I go......!

Diagnosed T2 April 2016
Metformin withdrawn
Diet & exercise only atm

Today
B - 1 kingsmill cinnamon and raisin toastie with butter
9:45ish - cup of roasted hazelnut coffee, milk
D - 5 slices of spicy chorizo and mayo on 2 slices 50/50 toast
2:30ish - cup of smooth caramel coffee. milk and 2 squares Lindt 90%
T - chicken breast fillet, mashed potato with chives, carrots and some gravy
After t - cup of coffee, milk x

@Mark Parrott. Naughty! naughty! But envious! Aside from your 10 bgl, did you enjoy?
Diagnosed T2 April 2016
Diet & exercise only atm
It was gorgeous! They were from Aldi & looked so nice. And they really were!

Yesterday - Wed 15.02.2017
Waking bgl: 5.5

No appetite! Does anyone else have days like this?

B. Nil
Elevenses: cuppa lady grey tea, 2 Truvia sweeteners, no milk
L. Nil
No evening meal but about 8pm-ish Melted gouda & Cheddar cheese mixed with diced red & spring onions on 2 Ryvita thins. I think less than 8 carbs altogether.
Milk. 1 garlic oil capsule
Cuppa decaf tea + 2 Truvia sweeteners & 3 naughty rich tea biscuits!

Water throughout the day.

End of day bgl: 6.8

Metformin withdrawn
Diet & exercise only

Last edited:
Yesterday Thurs 16.02.2017
Waking bgl: 5.1

Breakfast: Nil
Brunch: 2 boiled eggs with 1+1/2 Ryvita thins
Thirsty - 200mls water

2hrs later Bgl: 8.1!! 2nd test: 8.2!! What's going on?

Before meal: 5.7
Evening meal: Chicken stew (minus spuds)
No Pud!
2 hrs after meal bgl: 4.6 How did I manage that? 🙂🙄
Evening snack: 4 cheese & ham cracker bites, milk.

Metformin withdrawn
Diet & exercise onlyy

Last edited:
Yesterday (total carbs for the day, 55g carbs)

early - multigrain porridge with yogurt & blueberries, milky coffee (32g carbs, but planning to go away for the day)
Mid-day - chicken & vegetable mini-meal, and later 15g almonds (in the cinema) (13g carbs)
Tea - BMT salad from Subway® (8g carbs)
Bedtime - a square of 90% Lindt chocolate (1g carbs)

Yesterday Thurs 16.02.2017
Waking bgl: 5.1

Breakfast: Nil
Brunch: 2 boiled eggs with 1+1/2 Ryvita thins
Thirsty - 200mls water

2hrs later Bgl: 8.1!! 2nd test: 8.2!! What's going on?

Before meal: 5.7
Evening meal: Chicken stew (minus spuds)
No Pud!
2 hrs after meal bgl: 4.6 How did I manage that? 🙂🙄
Evening snack: 4 cheese & ham cracker bites, milk.

Metformin withdrawn
Diet & exercise onlyy
That's D for you. Sometimes I just think the meter picks random numbers.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back