What did you eat yesterday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi there, i'm new and reading your replies is answering some questions, so thank you. I need to lose weight as well as stabilise my blood sugar (type 2). Can anyone recommend some kind of energy bar to keep in my handbag? my diabetic nurse said i need to do that in order to avoid any sudden drops in blood sugar level, but as i am trying to lose weight as well i'm not sure what to buy). I'm surprised to see bread being mentioned, i thought that bread, potatoes, pasta and rice were not allowed to me? Yesterday I had :-

breakfast - porridge (not sure if this is allowed?)
lunch - salad of lettuce, cucumber, pickled gherkin, ham
dinner - roast chicken and a huge mushroom stuffed with cheese and diced vegetables.
snacks - mango pieces, a boiled egg and 2 sugar free yoghurts
drinks - 2 litres of water.

I did a huge shop of vegetables and meat but avoided the obvious carbs (a big change for me, before this i was eating meat only once a week but eating lots of potatoes and rice).

At the moment i feel sick often (possibly meds side effects?) but i understand i have to eat little and often so its a struggle.

Now i'm going to throw myself into this message board and read back over what everyone does, so interesting. thank you
Hi Aline. What we can eat really depends on the individual. In general, carbs should be kept low, but we are all different & can tolerate different things. People on insulin can generally eat more carbs as they can calculate how much insulin they need to inject to cover it, People on tablets or just diet & exercise need to be more careful. Most people on here that eat bread tend to go for the lower carb options such as Burgen Soya & Linseed or some of the high protein loaves such as Hovis or Warburtons. As for Porridge, this is a funny one. Some can tolerlate it, some can't. Testing your own blood sugars using a meter is the only way to find out. Your meals look generally pretty good, though mango has a lot of sugar in it. I tend to stick to berries which are lower in sugar.

@Aline Taylor
I was told that Mangos are definitely not a good idea but as @Mark Parrott quite rightly states, everyone is different. I would avoid them for the time being and I adore Mangos. Papaya are supposedly fine.

B: 2 Fuel Protein Wheat Biscuits, nuts & seeds with milk & double cream
L: Steak & cheese on 9 grain from Subway (I know, v. naughty!)
D: Meatballs stuffed with feta & ratatouile
Pud: 1 bar Moser Roth white Mousse au Chocolate.

B: 2 Fuel Protein Wheat Biscuits, nuts & seeds with milk & double cream
L: Steak & cheese on 9 grain from Subway (I know, v. naughty!)
D: Meatballs stuffed with feta & ratatouile
Pud: 1 bar Moser Roth white Mousse au Chocolate.
I am going to try and have a Moser Roth free day today but not promising lol

What medication are you on?
'Energy bars' are more likely to be full of sugar, would a 'protein bar' be suitable? If so Nature Valley do a range of protein bars that are under 10g carbs per bar, quite a few of the members here eat them
As for bread, some people can tolerate it, others cant, wholemeal is better than white, protein bread seems a good option for some and hovis now do a lower carb bread available in white, wholemeal and seeded at under 10g carb per slice, also quite a few members use Burgen as its lower carb and full of seeds so slows things down
Do you test your blood sugar? A good indication to see whether a food 'works' for you is to test before eating, then again 2 hours after, you are looking for a rise of no more than 2-3mmol ideally
Think I've covered everything you mentioned there but if not just let me know!
OH and hi welcome to the forum! 🙂
xx

Hi thats kind thank you. i'll get some nature valley protein bars then. I've been taking 3 metformin a day for a year but now thats increased to 4 and also Gilclazide which i have only been on a couple of days and i'm still getting the hang of it. Also testing blood, only been doing it a couple of days and the readings are all over the place between 2 - 10! hopefully it'll settle down over the next week or so. At the rate i'm testing i will run out of the little test strips before i'm due back at the surgery next month so i am searching for a source to buy them at the moment, i will wait a little while, dont want to rush too fast and make a mistake. thank you for your kindness. 🙂

Hi thats kind thank you. i'll get some nature valley protein bars then. I've been taking 3 metformin a day for a year but now thats increased to 4 and also Gilclazide which i have only been on a couple of days and i'm still getting the hang of it. Also testing blood, only been doing it a couple of days and the readings are all over the place between 2 - 10! hopefully it'll settle down over the next week or so. At the rate i'm testing i will run out of the little test strips before i'm due back at the surgery next month so i am searching for a source to buy them at the moment, i will wait a little while, dont want to rush too fast and make a mistake. thank you for your kindness. 🙂
Word of warning some brands of test strips are expensive around 25 pounds pot.

@Aline Taylor
Aline, what brand of meter are you using?

Well Vince WALKED to Aldi today to get some more Cauliflower rice. While sniffing around I found this.
Frozen 400gr, 2x200gr packets, 3.5gr carbs per packet which is less than the fresh stuff.
Fresh = £0.72/ 250gr
Frozen = £0.79/400gr
Bought some now in the freezer
Will use the fresh I bought first

Look like my curries are back on the menu
Pre Balti 5.5 with 200gr Cauliflower rice
2 hours Post Balti 5.7
Yippee

IMG_4613.jpg IMG_4614.jpg

Well Vince WALKED to Aldi today to get some more Cauliflower rice. While sniffing around I found this.
Frozen 400gr, 2x200gr packets, 3.5gr carbs per packet which is less than the fresh stuff.
Fresh = £0.72/ 250gr
Frozen = £0.79/400gr
Bought some now in the freezer
Will use the fresh I bought first

Look like my curries are back on the menu
Pre Balti 5.5 with 200gr Cauliflower rice
2 hours Post Balti 5.7
Yippee

View attachment 6462 View attachment 6463
Great find Vince! 🙂 This is the Tesco stuff I cant get a hold of! LOL
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297395359 x

Great find Vince! 🙂 This is the Tesco stuff I cant get a hold of! LOL
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297395359 x
We aim to please, all part of the service.
I found it by accident lol
I remember you saying Tesco did a frozen one so I just thought maybe Aldi may do also and WHOOOPPEEE I found it.
It has parsely in also so should be fine with fish.
Could actually be the same stuff but in a different package.
You need get your delivery man on the job.

We aim to please, all part of the service.
I found it by accident lol
I remember you saying Tesco did a frozen one so I just thought maybe Aldi may do also and WHOOOPPEEE I found it.
It has parsely in also so should be fine with fish.
Could actually be the same stuff but in a different package.
You need get your delivery man on the job.
I only get him to get me stuff when I'm needing a few things and as I have a few packs of chocolate in the cupboard I wont be needing him to go anytime soon, I used to get my granddad to go to Aldi for Bavarian ham but it's cheaper at Lidl and as we have one of those it's easier to get, oh actually I wonder if Lidl do it? Will have to google it and see if I can find out! 🙂 x

@Kaylz
Bothe ALdi and Lidl have phone apps

I only get him to get me stuff when I'm needing a few things and as I have a few packs of chocolate in the cupboard I wont be needing him to go anytime soon, I used to get my granddad to go to Aldi for Bavarian ham but it's cheaper at Lidl and as we have one of those it's easier to get, oh actually I wonder if Lidl do it? Will have to google it and see if I can find out! 🙂 x
But after checking, they don't tell you much lol

It can be helpful sometimes to know what sort of things people are eating, as it might give some ideas for a more varied diet. So, I'll start off with what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast - 1 slice buttered Burgen toast (my breakfast every day, I don't like to run with too much in my stomach)

Lunch - two soft-boiled eggs, two slices of buttered Burgen toast soldiers 🙂 Activia yoghurt

Evening meal - home-made spaghetti bolognese and a bounty bar.

I also nibbled on chilli-dusted peanuts through the evening.
Good idea, I like this because I tried alsorts of diets to try to become diabetic and it still happened, so now I’m unsure what to try eating incase I’m still eating the wrong stuff even though it’s ‘supposedly ‘ healthy.

Breakfast- overnight oats, 40g Quaker Oats mixed with a muller fat free yogurt and fresh raspberries

Lunch- 2 boiled eggs , 4 cherry tomatoes, cucumber, half a crispy salad bag and a drizzle of 30% less fat salad cream

Dinner- Home made Irish stew/ lamb veg and herbs

Supper- I don’t Normally have but on mother’s advice her being diabetic long term and all and me almost fainted in the morning, I had some white toast and flora spread. (I didn’t feel as I’ll this morning either)

Good idea, I like this because I tried alsorts of diets to try to become diabetic and it still happened, so now I’m unsure what to try eating incase I’m still eating the wrong stuff even though it’s ‘supposedly ‘ healthy.

Breakfast- overnight oats, 40g Quaker Oats mixed with a muller fat free yogurt and fresh raspberries

Lunch- 2 boiled eggs , 4 cherry tomatoes, cucumber, half a crispy salad bag and a drizzle of 30% less fat salad cream

Dinner- Home made Irish stew/ lamb veg and herbs

Supper- I don’t Normally have but on mother’s advice her being diabetic long term and all and me almost fainted in the morning, I had some white toast and flora spread. (I didn’t feel as I’ll this morning either)

Is there a reason you are eating fat free and low fat? I prefer to eat low carb, high fat, my results are improving all the time with my new eating regime. But we are all different and what suits one, doesn't suit another.

@Vince_UK I know this as I used to have them but deleted them due to not being much help! LOL x

Is there a reason you are eating fat free and low fat? I prefer to eat low carb, high fat, my results are improving all the time with my new eating regime. But we are all different and what suits one, doesn't suit another.
I’m with Slimming world at the minute but I’m actually thinking it’s not working for me and I should try to keep sugars low as well as fats, low carbs does work better I think but I’ll be seeing a dietitian next week see what they say. I need to lose weight a couple of stone at least for back surgery ASAP

I had some white toast and flora spread. (I didn’t feel as I’ll this morning either)
I wouldn't really suggest white bread to be honest, that's one of the worse culprits for raising levels quickly also asking same as @Jeandp low fat products generally contain more carbs than full fat too x

Today
B - jumbo oats, almond milk, raspberries, knob of butter and a coffee
mid-morning - coffee
D - wholemeal sandwich with 1 slice gouda, 2 slices corned beef and Dijon mustard and a lotus biscuit
mid-afternoon - coffee
T - basa fillet, charlotte potatoes, sliced green beans and 2 squares Lindt 90%
Currently - coffee 🙂 x

I wouldn't really suggest white bread to be honest, that's one of the worse culprits for raising levels quickly also asking same as @Jeandp low fat products generally contain more carbs than full fat too x
I’ll avoid the white then thanks

One thing I did notice is my bs was 5 before dinner and 5.8 two hours after, but 6.8 four hours later and I’d had nothing to eat or drink , just wondering if that’s the normal thing that happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back