Top 10 Foods That Can't Be Called HEALTHY ANYMORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An omelette was just one example not a ridiculous suggestion to live on them. An omelette takes me under 10mins and that includes the washing up. Maybe I’m faster with a knife than you?

Again I agree having both parents working full time adds pressure to the time available but doesn’t make it impossible, particularly not with kitchen and food skills and knowledge. Bring back food tech in schools for all kids and invite their parents too classes too. Cheaper in the longer term for public health and social needs if we all could do it

Surely adding delivery charges onto already not cheap fast food defeats at least one of the motivators - cost? Im sure there has been some comparison done on cost for real home cooked v takeaway foods and it’s not quite as clear cut as the takeaway brigade seem to believe. I know feeding my family on a takeaway is a lot more expensive than cooking the equivalent meal at home.

Much faster I would say.
I even cheat and use a blowtorch (Rothenberger Super Fire 2, so not even the little Dremnel VersaFlame I use for creme brulee!) to cook from the top down at the same time as the hob, I don't even fire up the grill for mine.

It's not me who conjures up this stuff. It's something I became aware of since I was diagnosed T2 and vascular problems. You cope with your T1 with medication, as far as I understand you have no choice. I meanwhile can mitigate (even put into remission) my conditions through lifestyle.

I was rather surprised when I Googled seed oils to find so many sites explaining the potential dangers. Surprised because it's such a massive, lucrative industry, and where cash is concerned, reality has been known to be 'altered' somewhat. From the stuff I've read, and to paraphrase one comment, "Omega-3's less-good-for-you counterpart, however, is omega-6 fatty acids, and most seed oils are predominantly composed of omega-6 polyunsaturated fats. These types of fat are widely considered to be inflammatory fats."

In moderation, inflammation is one of our body's defence mechanisms. We need it, it's an important part of our immune system. But excess inflammation can cause all sorts of problems, particularly in relation to my vascular condition.

There's an explanation here from WebMD (As far as I know it is a reliable source. If not there are plenty of others).

As I suggested earlier, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone to do anything. All I can do is offer suggestions as to how anyone can begin to help themselves if they want to. Basically, most people are unaware of the make-up and potential hazards of what we put in our bodies. Potentially dodgy stuff is something we have changed and interfered with in some way or other, yet are presented as the healthy norm.

Well aware what inflammation is & it's effect on body.

Article you posted is a good one, encourages healthy eating by saying you should eat plenty of fruit & veg, plant based proteins & fish & wholegrains, also emphasises that exercise is key factor in keeping inflammation down which is all good advice.

Thing is I do follow said dietary advice mostly & exercise daily, was out this morning for few hours which involved 2 hour walk, so do take my healthy seriously, no option having had type 1 for 4 decades.

As for seed oils, evidence is inconclusive & many of these scare stories get debunked, think you have to take these things with a pinch of salt, food scare stories are common place, like meat & processed meats cause cancer, teflon on pans same, trouble is when these claims get passed about as truth when there's no overwhelming scientific evidence that supports it then we have a problem.

Someone few weeks back said that seed oils were toxic, if members, more so mods/ admin don't challenge these claims than they become accepted & can cause unwanted worrying for some people, on a personal level I'm not a born worrier so just get on things as before but others are not so fortunate.

Last edited:
said that seed oils were toxic
Many people believe that they are and they certainly don't form part of our historical food chain so why eat them?

We cooked for millennia with animal fats before seed oils were invented so I hardly think they are an "essential" part of the human diet.

There are many studies that show they might not be good for us (see link I gave to Eddy above).
Why take the risk when there are plenty of alternatives?

Well we take risks everytime we walk out front door get behind wheel of a car, so until there's concrete proof of harm shall carry on regardless.
But apparently you don’t need concrete proof something is safe so why that it’s dangerous? It seems more about wanting to do/have a thing and accepting the potential risks in the balancing decision.

You as a type 1, not metabolically challenged, are obviously less risk adverse in your food choices than most of the diet focused type 2 in this thread. That’s fine, it’s your body, your life, but that doesn’t mean the risks are imagined.

But apparently you don’t need concrete proof something is safe so why that it’s dangerous? It seems more about wanting to do/have a thing and accepting the potential risks in the balancing decision.

You as a type 1, not metabolically challenged, are obviously less risk adverse in your food choices than most of the diet focused type 2 in this thread. That’s fine, it’s your body, your life, but that doesn’t mean the risks are imagined.

Crack on with it mate.

Just discussing this on a different thread.
I want colour in my life, and my death.
I couldn't live with a beige existence.

Just discussing this on a different thread.
I want colour in my life, and my death.
I couldn't live with a beige existence.
Like I said your body your choice. I don’t see my diet as beige, in fact there’s little hats beige left in it lol

If weight loss alone had been enough for me as it seems it was for you then I might eat more like you, but it wasn’t and if I ate what you eat my levels would not be as yours are. I do what I need to do to live long and healthy enough to have the colour you mention.

Many people believe that they are and they certainly don't form part of our historical food chain so why eat them?

We cooked for millennia with animal fats before seed oils were invented so I hardly think they are an "essential" part of the human diet.

There are many studies that show they might not be good for us (see link I gave to Eddy above).
Why take the risk when there are plenty of alternatives?

Here is the “rub.” During human evolution. It’s my understanding protein (yep, working in teams to drive “something” meaty over a cliff. Or just scavenging.?) was the catalyst for brain development.? (Along with a few other “variables.”)

Then we had the cunning plan to grind grain & make bread in an imitation of how some birds swallow gravel to digest this stuff in the “gizzard?” & the rest is not only history but human culture too.

Which is why we now chuck it to ducks in a park. Screwing with evolution?

Here is the “rub.” During human evolution. It’s my understanding protein (yep, working in teams to drive “something” meaty over a cliff. Or just scavenging.?) was the catalyst for brain development.? (Along with a few other “variables.”)

Then we had the cunning plan to grind grain & make bread in an imitation of how some birds swallow gravel to digest this stuff in the “gizzard?” & the rest is not only history but human culture too.

Mankind lived on berries and roots since day one.
The "hunter gatherer" lives down the meat isle in Tesco now.
Show them a wild boar in the forest, and the boar is going home to feed the kids

Last edited by a moderator:
While never telling anyone to follow any particular course, I do suggest things that I believe in and work for me.
My belief is that we should ultimately make up our own minds about our own selves. That we do through balanced information.
Although things have moderated a little, we're bombarded with adverts for certain types of food, TV, the press, billboards etc.
Ironically, the only reason I came across an 'alternative' was when I became ill! When I got frightened of pegging it! Through sites like this for example I found lots of reassuring help. Most people are not aware of an alternative, and when 'healthy' they don't give a damn - unsurprisingly.

Here is a video by Aseem Malhotra addressing a group in the UK Houses of Parliament a couple of years ago.
I like this guy. He digs around in people's chests for a living, often trying to put right what we've put wrong!
In effect, by advocating a change of lifestyle, he's putting himself out of a job.

Just done a chili.

Heck spring chicken mince
British Chicken (75%) (Chicken Breast 60%, Chicken Thigh 15%),
Pea Flour, Water, Spring Onion (5%), Ginger Puree (3%),
Seasoning (Salt, Rice Flour, Sugar, Dried Leek, Preservative (Sodium Sulphite), Spice, Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid), Natural Flavourings, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Yeast Extract, Flavouring), Red Chilli (2%), Citrus Fibre

The tinned tomatoes contain citric acid and salt.
Kidney beans contain Calcium chloride and citric acid
Black beans calcium chloride
Broad beans Ascorbic acid
One of the spices contained silicon dioxide
The chipotle paste listed nine different ingredients

Not at our local duck pond. Feeding the ducks bread is not permitted.

Just saying.

Edited to say, I see feeding ducks bread is not welcome in other areas..

Is that more commonly known as margarine?

Margarine has a specific legal definition part of which is that it has to be the same percentage fat as butter. That's why almost everything else in that section is labelled as "spread" now since people are usually trying to avoid having so much fat when they opt for not-butter

Margarine has a specific legal definition part of which is that it has to be the same percentage fat as butter. That's why almost everything else in that section is labelled as "spread" now since people are usually trying to avoid having so much fat when they opt for not-butter
Does margarine still exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back