Top 10 Foods That Can't Be Called HEALTHY ANYMORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not forgetting those toxic seed oils also mate.

It's all complete & utter rubbish designed to scare people whilst selling vids books or whatever else these peeps promote.
It's not me who conjures up this stuff. It's something I became aware of since I was diagnosed T2 and vascular problems. You cope with your T1 with medication, as far as I understand you have no choice. I meanwhile can mitigate (even put into remission) my conditions through lifestyle.

I was rather surprised when I Googled seed oils to find so many sites explaining the potential dangers. Surprised because it's such a massive, lucrative industry, and where cash is concerned, reality has been known to be 'altered' somewhat. From the stuff I've read, and to paraphrase one comment, "Omega-3's less-good-for-you counterpart, however, is omega-6 fatty acids, and most seed oils are predominantly composed of omega-6 polyunsaturated fats. These types of fat are widely considered to be inflammatory fats."

In moderation, inflammation is one of our body's defence mechanisms. We need it, it's an important part of our immune system. But excess inflammation can cause all sorts of problems, particularly in relation to my vascular condition.

There's an explanation here from WebMD (As far as I know it is a reliable source. If not there are plenty of others).

As I suggested earlier, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone to do anything. All I can do is offer suggestions as to how anyone can begin to help themselves if they want to. Basically, most people are unaware of the make-up and potential hazards of what we put in our bodies. Potentially dodgy stuff is something we have changed and interfered with in some way or other, yet are presented as the healthy norm.

It's not me who conjures up this stuff. It's something I became aware of since I was diagnosed T2 and vascular problems. You cope with your T1 with medication, as far as I understand you have no choice. I meanwhile can mitigate (even put into remission) my conditions through lifestyle.

I was rather surprised when I Googled seed oils to find so many sites explaining the potential dangers. Surprised because it's such a massive, lucrative industry, and where cash is concerned, reality has been known to be 'altered' somewhat. From the stuff I've read, and to paraphrase one comment, "Omega-3's less-good-for-you counterpart, however, is omega-6 fatty acids, and most seed oils are predominantly composed of omega-6 polyunsaturated fats. These types of fat are widely considered to be inflammatory fats."

In moderation, inflammation is one of our body's defence mechanisms. We need it, it's an important part of our immune system. But excess inflammation can cause all sorts of problems, particularly in relation to my vascular condition.

There's an explanation here from WebMD (As far as I know it is a reliable source. If not there are plenty of others).

As I suggested earlier, I wouldn't presume to tell anyone to do anything. All I can do is offer suggestions as to how anyone can begin to help themselves if they want to. Basically, most people are unaware of the make-up and potential hazards of what we put in our bodies. Potentially dodgy stuff is something we have changed and interfered with in some way or other, yet are presented as the healthy norm.
On the lack of evidence for inflammatory effects of omega-6 oils:

On the lack of evidence for inflammatory effects of omega-6 oils:
I refer you to post no. 37 in this thread.

Personally, if there is even a hint that something may exacerbate my health issues I avoid it. And there's more than a hint with seed oils.
Ultimately, I don't really understand why we choose to eat highly processed stuff over natural food. I know why the highly processed stuff is so heavily promoted, and it certainly ain't for health reasons.

Ultimately, I don't really understand why we choose to eat highly processed stuff over natural food.
Probably because
- it's cheap
- it's quick
- it's addictive
- it's freely available
- many people do not know how to "cook" anything else

I think many of us are in the very privileged position that we can choose. But if you are doing two (three) jobs, living off a shoe string, as a single parent of three children, etc. you don't have much choice. You don't have money. You don't have time. You have children who have friends who eat processed food and have seen it on ads all the time, ...

Probably because
- it's cheap
- it's quick
- it's addictive
- it's freely available

I think many of us are in the very privileged position that we can choose. But if you are doing two (three) jobs, living off a shoe string, as a single parent of three children, etc. you don't have much choice. You don't have money. You don't have time. You have children who have friends who eat processed food and have seen it on ads all the time, ...

Even if we can choose, the majority of food is still processed to some degree.
If it wasn't for supermarkets, packaged foods, preservatives, we would be shopping every day at the butcher's and greengrocer's.
So, can anyone say they would be at the corner shop, then cooking from scratch for every meal?
It seems it is easy to blame "big food" without accepting the reality that we drove the demand for one shop a week, and microwave ready food for when we want it.
They fill a demand.

Dr Carvalho did say in his video that the studies looked at were sponsored / funded by three sources, Government, Academic and 'some' industry.
Any trial is very expensive and it's highly unlikely you'll find a major research study finding against a big industry.
The seed oil and food production industry is enormous in the USA. Huge tax income and a large employer.
It is in the government's interest to promote the industry both politically and economically.
(Plus, taking the FDA as an example, it is half funded by federal budget and half by user industry.)
Many academic research grants are funded by big industrial corporations and it is academia's interest to make sure the results of a trial come out on the right side.
Industry-funded trials speak for themselves.

I have become very cynical over the past 3 years or so and find much 'research' hard to believe. Even 'peer reviewed' research has a cloud over it because if one chooses ones 'peers' diligently you're hardly likely to get many dissenters.

I'm sure Dr Carvalho, a vegan, is a straight-shooter with many supporters. He is a member of the True Health Initiative which is 'partnered' with numerous plant-based organisations.

Probably because
- it's cheap
- it's quick
- it's addictive
- it's freely available

I agree, but I did say choose.
There are still plenty of folk who are able to choose who choose to eat less healthily than they might.

we would be shopping every day at the butcher's
I manage with once a week to the butchers.. we have a fridge and a freezer.. the wonders of the 21st century.

I have become very cynical over the past 3 years or so and find much 'research' hard to believe. Even 'peer reviewed' research has a cloud over it because if one chooses ones 'peers' diligently you're hardly likely to get many dissenters.
Plus we should never forget that if say pharma or a food manufacturer sponsors a study and it fails to provide the required results it can be conveniently "lost".. there's no requirement for it to be published at all.

Let me guess.. olive? which is of course a fruit oil not a seed oil.. and cold pressed may be ok it's hardly highly processed.

Something that needs treating with in a factory with hexane (a poison) however might not be so good to eat

Personally I prefer good old animals fats for cooking.. something mankind has used for millennia.

Bad guess.
There are a lot more very tasty oils out there, all with different qualities and flavours.

Olive oil, yes I also have a great variety of that from around the world, all with different nuances.

But, I do mostly dry fry, so a bottle can last quite a while these days.

Even if we can choose, the majority of food is still processed to some degree.
If it wasn't for supermarkets, packaged foods, preservatives, we would be shopping every day at the butcher's and greengrocer's.
So, can anyone say they would be at the corner shop, then cooking from scratch for every meal?
It seems it is easy to blame "big food" without accepting the reality that we drove the demand for one shop a week, and microwave ready food for when we want it.
They fill a demand.
You’re completely right about demand driving this change as much as profits for the industry. Cheap, fast and hyper palatable because of the formulation sways a lot to buying these foods.

However there are still issues beyond that. People don’t realise the long term, slow to show and tricky to see the connection health costs which was the starting point of the thread. The fact too many people don’t know how to cook cheap real foods from scratch, especially quickly. How long does it take to drive/walk/bus to the takeaway wait and return home to eat verses making an omelette in minutes? Many meals can be on the table in around 30mins with time to do kitchen chores whilst things cook IF you’ve had the chance to learn how to do this. Also the extent of the processing is relevant. It’s not a black and white thing. Reduction of processed foods might not be as “ideal” as total abstinence from them but it’s a lot better than total reliance on them.

Dr Carvalho did say in his video that the studies looked at were sponsored / funded by three sources, Government, Academic and 'some' industry.
What research leads you to think that seed oils may be harmful?

Why do you think they might be "safe" or beneficial ?
The manufacturing process in itself isn't exactly great for the vast majority of seed oils maybe cold pressed are ok but highly processed oils have only been in the human food chain for a century.. and look what that century has produced.. a metabolically unhealthy mess of humanity.

The simple yet massive imbalance of omega 3 and 6 fats they cause promoting inflammation, which then leads on to many health issue especially cvd. Much evidence on both of those issues to pick from.

You’re completely right about demand driving this change as much as profits for the industry. Cheap, fast and hyper palatable because of the formulation sways a lot to buying these foods.

However there are still issues beyond that. People don’t realise the long term, slow to show and tricky to see the connection health costs which was the starting point of the thread. The fact too many people don’t know how to cook cheap real foods from scratch, especially quickly. How long does it take to drive/walk/bus to the takeaway wait and return home to eat verses making an omelette in minutes? Many meals can be on the table in around 30mins with time to do kitchen chores whilst things cook IF you’ve had the chance to learn how to do this. Also the extent of the processing is relevant. It’s not a black and white thing. Reduction of processed foods might not be as “ideal” as total abstinence from them but it’s a lot better than total reliance on them.

It takes no time at all.
All my locals are on Just Eat, and I certainly wouldn't want to live on omelettes.
If I do make them for a main meal, it's also not minutes, prep of onion, mushrooms, peppers, green veg, anything else I fancy in it, all dry fried, some grated cheese, beat the eggs, seasoning, all takes time, then the washing up afterwards.
The other major driver is the change to both parents/partners holding down a full time job.
In my parents generation, being a mother was considered a full time job, and the house maker that went with it.
Nowadays the gender is irrelevant, but the trend is definitely not one partner staying home.

Why do you think they might be "safe" or beneficial ?

Because I have seen a lot of studies finding no harms and few finding the opposite. But happy to check out any that I've missed.

The simple yet massive imbalance of omega 3 and 6 fats they cause promoting inflammation, which then leads on to many health issue especially cvd. Much evidence on both of those issues to pick from.
Appreciate it if you could provide any details of this evidence.

It takes no time at all.
All my locals are on Just Eat, and I certainly wouldn't want to live on omelettes.
If I do make them for a main meal, it's also not minutes, prep of onion, mushrooms, peppers, green veg, anything else I fancy in it, all dry fried, some grated cheese, beat the eggs, seasoning, all takes time, then the washing up afterwards.
The other major driver is the change to both parents/partners holding down a full time job.
In my parents generation, being a mother was considered a full time job, and the house maker that went with it.
Nowadays the gender is irrelevant, but the trend is definitely not one partner staying home.
An omelette was just one example not a ridiculous suggestion to live on them. An omelette takes me under 10mins and that includes the washing up. Maybe I’m faster with a knife than you?

Again I agree having both parents working full time adds pressure to the time available but doesn’t make it impossible, particularly not with kitchen and food skills and knowledge. Bring back food tech in schools for all kids and invite their parents too classes too. Cheaper in the longer term for public health and social needs if we all could do it

Surely adding delivery charges onto already not cheap fast food defeats at least one of the motivators - cost? Im sure there has been some comparison done on cost for real home cooked v takeaway foods and it’s not quite as clear cut as the takeaway brigade seem to believe. I know feeding my family on a takeaway is a lot more expensive than cooking the equivalent meal at home.

Because I have seen a lot of studies finding no harms and few finding the opposite. But happy to check out any that I've missed.
Tucker Goodrich has done a heap of work and gathered many studies on his blog page..

http://yelling-stop.blogspot.com

you might need to put 'seed oils' in the search box.

He also features a neat debunking of Gil Carvahlo's video by Brad Marshall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back