Top 10 Foods That Can't Be Called HEALTHY ANYMORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does margarine still exist?
I don't think so, because manufacturers were put under pressure to reduce fat, and trans fats in particular. But I'm not completely certain

I thought they had gone as well to be honest.
@indio02 where have you seen them in the last few years?
My assumption was that @indio02 we using margarine in the colloquial sense rather than meaning the legally named product

Guilty as charged....Sorry!

I was just thinking of all the olive oil based spreads, and particularly the benecol cholesterol lowering spreads, that are a world away from good old Stork SB of my parents days.

My assumption was that @indio02 we using margarine in the colloquial sense rather than meaning the legally named product
I didn’t even know there was a single branded product called that. More like margarine was the generic term for all non butter spreads. In which case there are still an awful lot of them, including those that are mixed with butter to make it more spreadable.

I was just thinking of all the olive oil based spreads, and particularly the benecol cholesterol lowering spreads, that are a world away from good old Stork SB of my parents days.
stork ingredients :
Vegetable oils (rapeseed, palm1, sunflower in varying proportions), water, salt (1.4%), emulsifiers (sunflower lecithin, mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), acid (citric acid), flavourings, colours (carotenes), vitamins (A, D).

Benecol :
Rapeseed Oil, Water, Plant Stanol Ester (Plant Stanols 6.6g/100g), Palm Oil, Buttermilk Powder, Salt (1%), Emulsifiers (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavourings, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Colour (Carotenes), Vitamin A, Vitamin D3

not much different to each other.

Whereas this is obviously a very different thing

Butter:
Cream (Cows' Milk) (98%), Salt (1.5%) optional

I didn’t even know there was a single branded product called that. More like margarine was the generic term for all non butter spreads. In which case there are still an awful lot of them, including those that are mixed with butter to make it more spreadable.
It was not a single branded product. It was a created product which legally had to be the same percentage fat as butter. All the main manufacturers of non-butter spreads used to make it, but what @travellor and I are saying is that as far as we are aware none still do.

Most people use "margarine" colloquially to mean "non-butter spread" but the manufacturers use "spread" or "reduced fat spread" or whatever because they legally cannot print "margarine" on the label unless it is high enough in fat (at least 87% if I recall correctly). And to get a solid product with a fat percentage that high, you need saturated fats, which for most vegetable oils means artificially hydrogenating and the subsequent creation of trans fats (because they are turned into saturated fats by chemical reactions rather than by an enzyme which would always put the bonds the same way around)

stork ingredients :
Vegetable oils (rapeseed, palm1, sunflower in varying proportions), water, salt (1.4%), emulsifiers (sunflower lecithin, mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids), acid (citric acid), flavourings, colours (carotenes), vitamins (A, D).

Benecol :
Rapeseed Oil, Water, Plant Stanol Ester (Plant Stanols 6.6g/100g), Palm Oil, Buttermilk Powder, Salt (1%), Emulsifiers (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Sunflower Lecithin), Natural Flavourings, Acidity Regulator (Citric Acid), Colour (Carotenes), Vitamin A, Vitamin D3

Butter:
Modern Stork ingredients? Not going to be the same as when it was margarine

It was not a single branded product. It was a created product which legally had to be the same percentage fat as butter. All the main manufacturers of non-butter spreads used to make it, but what @travellor and I are saying is that as far as we are aware none still do.

Most people use "margarine" colloquially to mean "non-butter spread" but the manufacturers use "spread" or "reduced fat spread" or whatever because they legally cannot print "margarine" on the label unless it is high enough in fat (at least 87% if I recall correctly). And to get a solid product with a fat percentage that high, you need saturated fats, which for most vegetable oils means artificially hydrogenating and the subsequent creation of trans fats (because they are turned into saturated fats by chemical reactions rather than by an enzyme which would always put the bonds the same way around)
Interesting. Thanks.

The current day spreads are still an ultra processed food like substance though even without the high/trans fats.

Modern Stork ingredients? Not going to be the same as when it was margarine
Out of interest, I looked up a major supermarket's spreads, because when I was a child, Margarine came in a hard block, like butter, only half the price. The unique selling point was that 4/5 people couldn't tell it apart from butter (I could). Only later did we start getting all the 'soft margarines' that came in tubs, their USP was that they spread straight from the fridge. (Presumably more people owned fridges by then).
The result of my findings? Stork in a block is still sold, but it’s called 'Stork original baking block', not 'Margarine' and contains 75%fat, the rest being water, emulsifiers, and the usual flavourings, and added Vit A and D.
Funnily enough, I found these products by typing 'Margarine' into the search bar, even though none of them are now called that.

stork ingredients :

Benecol :

Butter:

Yes margarine has long gone.
Stork is a "spread" now.

Apparently not. See #111

But it's a "baking block" not a margarine.
It's marketing, to still sell to the dedicated customers, but also to sell to the new ones who have bad connotations about "margarine"
I wonder how solid it actually is.
Obviously for some baking, a solid block is needed, that was were Stork SB competed with butter out of the fridge.
I personally don't use palm oil, so it doesn't appeal to me.
Lurpak spreadable tears bread to pieces out of the fridge as well.

But it's a "baking block" not a margarine.
It's marketing, to still sell to the dedicated customers, but also to sell to the new ones who have bad connotations about "margarine"
I wonder how solid it actually is.
Obviously for some baking, a solid block is needed, that was were Stork SB competed with butter out of the fridge.
I personally don't use palm oil, so it doesn't appeal to me.
Lurpak spreadable tears bread to pieces out of the fridge as well.
I think @HSSS meant that I’d said that to find all these 'spread' products, I typed the word 'Margarine' into Tesco's* search bar, meaning that they’ve thought about how their customers see the products, and most people still think of them as 'Margarine'

(*Other supermarkets are available,😉 I did the same with Sainsburys and got the same result)

I think @HSSS meant that I’d said that to find all these 'spread' products, I typed the word 'Margarine' into Tesco's* search bar, meaning that they’ve thought about how their customers see the products, and most people still think of them as 'Margarine'

(*Other supermarkets are available, I did the same with Sainsburys and got the same result)

That's just an AI somewhere thinking, "Oh an oldie needs a bit of help with a search".

Well, it thinks that for me, I can type anything in and I usually get the results for what I mean, rather than what I type.
I can't lie, I typed the same in yesterday to look for marg as well.
If you look at the ingredients for the Stork block, it's much the same as every other spreadable now, just geared for baking crumble, or some pastries or cakes,

I just asked a couple of under 35s what they thought the generic term was for Flora, Bertolli, Stork etc, and both replied without hesitation 'Margarine'
Old and middle age then?
AI's are the future.

I just asked a couple of under 35s what they thought the generic term was for Flora, Bertolli, Stork etc, and both replied without hesitation 'Margarine'

Surprising that, didn't think anyone under 40 would have heard of margarine, must admit thought it was long gone & amazed its still around.

Surprising that, didn't think anyone under 40 would have heard of margarine, must admit thought it was long gone & amazed its still around.

To be fair, I'm a dinosaur, I've probably used the term "marg" when they were little.
There grandma definitely did when she baked cakes with them.
Not quite 30 yet, but they use the term "spread" now, so who knows.

It'll be like "Planet of the Apes", spin the disc, but the history of Margarine will come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back