To worry or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at your signature at the bottom.
I am having a nightmare counting carbs let alone checking Cals.
You can use an app that would count both carbs and cals?

You can use an app that would count both carbs and cals?
Don't worry about how you come across, I take people as I find them and nothing wrong with your posts at all. I'm going to start eating more sensibly but try to get back to normal eating more. I won't give up altogether and I'm certainly more aware of what I stick down me🙂. Why I haven't tried Greek Yoghurt and berries before this I don't know? But that will definitely be staying it is gorgeous and refreshing in the mornings. Good luck with it all whatever you r goals are.

Don't worry about how you come across, I take people as I find them and nothing wrong with your posts at all. I'm going to start eating more sensibly but try to get back to normal eating more. I won't give up altogether and I'm certainly more aware of what I stick down me🙂. Why I haven't tried Greek Yoghurt and berries before this I don't know? But that will definitely be staying it is gorgeous and refreshing in the mornings. Good luck with it all whatever you r goals are.
Thanks, I don’t worry about how I come across but I do cause too much work for the moderators sometimes! So it was was suggested by multiple people that I put something in my signature.

Yoghurt and berries is a nice breakfast and I’ve really enjoyed yoghurt with fruit and granola this week on holiday. It’s not something I eat at home but I’m going to try it when I’m back to figure out something filling and tasty.

Weight loss is the priority, if you are aiming for remission (although you’re under no compulsion to have such an aim). You can lose weight by just eating what you normally would but scaling down to maybe three quarters of your previous amounts. No need to count calories explicitly. You will not need to roam around the shops wondering whether you eat this or that slice of bread or piece of fruit. Just eat a good deal less for a couple of months. Reducing carbs can help with that in controlling hunger, if you need to. Read the science.

I'm going to start eating more sensibly but try to get back to normal eating more. I won't give up altogether and I'm certainly more aware of what I stick down me🙂. Why I haven't tried Greek Yoghurt and berries before this I don't know? But that will definitely be staying it is gorgeous and refreshing in the mornings. Good luck with it all whatever your goals are.
@Ranger it can get even better. Strawberries are even lower carb content than blueberries and during the summer months are very economical. Raspberries are also lower carb.

Incidentally a small banana with creamy yoghurt is not such a bad choice; yes bananas are a higher carb item but with creamy yoghurt they don't (normally - we are all different) cause such a big glucose 'hit' because the fat in the yoghurt slows down the rate of digestion and then the glucose arrives into your blood over an extended period. This gives your existing insulin a better chance of managing that extra glucose.

But if you fancied a change from time to time creamy yoghurt and cucumber chunks are great; this can be seasoned with various spices, depending on your taste buds or supplemented with cheese, eggs (cooked all ways) or meats including salamis and sausages with a low bread content. I think walnuts are particularly nice in yoghurt. Plenty of options.

When dining out consider selecting a salad from the menu choices or a large portion of veg instead of potatoes, rice and pasta. Use those veggies and salad stuff to fill you up and leave you happy with smaller portions of other things. Fish is very low carb, on its own, not in bread crumbs or batter (which can be very varied in thickness and thus extra carbs). From a restauranter's perspective a small piece of fish in a generous amount of batter looks big on the plate, leaves the customer full and is cost effective to sell.

That's great info, before I was diagnosed I sometimes had eye/sight problems for an unknown reason, seems obvious why now I guess. I'm still getting them now and again but they don't seem to be any worse to be fair. Until I can actually speak to a nurse or anyone really about an eyecheck which is my foot inspection on the 8th April I won't know much more I guess. As I mentioned, when first diagnosed and just told I was diabetic on the phone "all I was given was a foot appointment". I clinging to the hope that it will be a diabetic orientated person, my last 3 GP appointments for other things have been with Paramedic or "Surgery assistant" or something as they are called.
As I’ve mentioned mine was you’ve got diabetes and we are going to look at your feet in a month. She’s allegedly a “ diabetes expert “ there’s nothing wrong with my feet . I know this because one of my specific intensive work outs for the stroke recovery is totally focused on my feet. To me it’s still feels like a tick box exercise to me.

She’s allegedly a “ diabetes expert “ there’s nothing wrong with my feet .
Nothing wrong with my feet, either. But they have a look once a year because that's what you do to notice when there is something wrong. It's arguably a bit of a tick box exercise, but I think tick box exercises quite often have value. (I usually have a list when I go shopping and check off the items as I get them. Similarly when going on holiday I usually use a list to avoid forgetting to pack something important.)

Maybe in your particular case they could skip your feet since other people are already looking at them, but it's only a minute or two so wouldn't make much difference.

@Ranger it can get even better. Strawberries are even lower carb content than blueberries and during the summer months are very economical. Raspberries are also lower carb.

Incidentally a small banana with creamy yoghurt is not such a bad choice; yes bananas are a higher carb item but with creamy yoghurt they don't (normally - we are all different) cause such a big glucose 'hit' because the fat in the yoghurt slows down the rate of digestion and then the glucose arrives into your blood over an extended period. This gives your existing insulin a better chance of managing that extra glucose.

But if you fancied a change from time to time creamy yoghurt and cucumber chunks are great; this can be seasoned with various spices, depending on your taste buds or supplemented with cheese, eggs (cooked all ways) or meats including salamis and sausages with a low bread content. I think walnuts are particularly nice in yoghurt. Plenty of options.

When dining out consider selecting a salad from the menu choices or a large portion of veg instead of potatoes, rice and pasta. Use those veggies and salad stuff to fill you up and leave you happy with smaller portions of other things. Fish is very low carb, on its own, not in bread crumbs or batter (which can be very varied in thickness and thus extra carbs). From a restauranter's perspective a small piece of fish in a generous amount of batter looks big on the plate, leaves the customer full and is cost effective to sell.
If you caught one of my earlier posts my online Sainsburys delivery came yesterday. I’m convinced nearly everything I received was an improvement on last week. Fancy yoghurts ditched for low fat Greek , crispbread changed to hi fibre, sausages now replaced by The Heck ones, Fuel Granola replaced by Jordan’s which seems to tick all boxes, oh and white bread out replaced by that Warbutons, bog standard microwave rice replaced by rice see picture. Still confused but surely I’m going in the right direction. Would appreciate if one of the elders on here ( mean no offence ) could give me a yes or no.

Attachments

• IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 8
Weight loss is the priority, if you are aiming for remission (although you’re under no compulsion to have such an aim). You can lose weight by just eating what you normally would but scaling down to maybe three quarters of your previous amounts. No need to count calories explicitly. You will not need to roam around the shops wondering whether you eat this or that slice of bread or piece of fruit. Just eat a good deal less for a couple of months. Reducing carbs can help with that in controlling hunger, if you need to. Read the science.
Ultimately remission is my aim I’m fairly low down on the scale but as long as I can get towards that I will be happy.
Pre- stroke I was in fine physical shape but of course I have put some weight on nothing serious but my stomach is an annoyance .

Well I’m going to cherry pick the info from the stroke nurse. Again but she was clearly not used to being politely challenged. I had this before they havnt met me. So check my data, “ old bloke “ had stoke now how diabetes.
Tuesday I’m going to phone the Diabetes UK line but should be even better informed because of this forum.
Like I’ve mentioned if someone could run over my post on my latest shop it would really be appreciated.

Interesting Drummer I have taken Atorvastin for years due to BP/Cholesterol so I don't have an issue with them. I am pretty happy with my results of BG so far but I'm in my 6th day only though just using diet. When I eventually to see someone which is I think a 1 day course on 15/5/24 (which seems ridiculous to me) I may learn something more. Before that on 8th April I have my foot inspection but I'm guessing that won't be the place to ask questions. Keep Smiling
Atorvastatin. That is one of the standard drugs they give you after a stroke my cholesterol was good but it was given to me anyway. About a year ago I read about the drug upsetting your stomach and even read a reliable article saying it was unnecessary to automatically prescribe it. I stopped. Is it possible that has spiked my cholesterol levels and caused the alarm bells to ring ?

...bog standard microwave rice replaced by rice see picture. Still confused but surely I’m going in the right direction. Would appreciate if one of the elders on here ( mean no offence ) could give me a yes or no.
Wholegrain rice takes longer to digest than white rice so is generally thought to be a bit better for a Type 2, though rice is a very high carb food. A lot comes down the the portion size I think - I used to eat big heaps of rice with a curry or a stir fry. When I set out to lose weight I went so far as to weigh how much I was eating to calculate calories, and reduced my portion size by quite a lot. It was only later when I learned more about carbs and started testing my blood glucose around meals that I found that even the smaller portion I was eating was playing havoc with my BG levels compared to other meals. Not horrendously bad in small portions but definitely not ideal. I've since switched to cauliflower rice - which is just grated cauliflower basically. I get it in frozen single-portion microwaveable bags from Tesco because I try to put as little effort into cooking as I can get away with. It soaks up the sauce in a curry or stir fry and so it tastes nice, it's filling, and it's very low in both carbs and calories so it ticks all the boxes.

Would appreciate if one of the elders on here ( mean no offence ) could give me a yes or no.
No one can give you a yes or no for whether any food will be okay for your individual diabetes. Only your blood glucose meter can answer that question.

Are we saying then that carbs and sugar are the same? I can easily work out carbs I guess.
I was wondering if I should be looking at sugar content as well Carbs and if so what was a starting point of how many grams of sugar a day.
Sorry for being an idiot but this is doing my nut in.
It's about glucose. Carbs have glucose in and glucose is energy and it's what you have lost the ability to process. Sugar is only involved because it's a rapid acting glucose. The old name 'Sugar Diabetes' still confuses people.
The official Latin name is Diabetes Mellitus ( 'sweet p@ss') because until quite recently they used to sip or finger lick the urine to assess it. Upto about 1700 it was known as 'the p@ssing evil' in Britain.

The traditional recommendations used to be 2500 calories a day for men and 2000 for women with 45 to 60% of calories coming from carbs depending on activity and work done, 10 to 20% from protein and upto 35% from fats including 25% from 'good fats'.

The brain needs the equivalent amount of glucose to that provided by 130 grams of carbs a day so 130 grams has become a magic minimum.

You would need 1300 calories a day on average just lie on a bed all day.

No one can give you a yes or no for whether any food will be okay for your individual diabetes. Only your blood glucose meter can answer that question.
I hate keep mentioning the stroke I got to a very good place but at the moment the dexterity of my fingers are letting me down they are the last part of the body that recovers. I can type , even basic sewing, but the monitors do look quite fiddly . I want to get a BP monitor that can work with my iPhone but even that looks a lot of fuss.
My instructions from the second Diabetes nurse was to work on one meal at a time. It’s supposed to be breakfast. Ditch all cereals sort that and 6 months later move on to lunch again the assumption because I’m initially confused it’s too much for me Give me some solid guidelines and I will work on all meals

It's about glucose. Carbs have glucose in and glucose is energy and it's what you have lost the ability to process. Sugar is only involved because it's a rapid acting glucose. The old name 'Sugar Diabetes' still confuses people.
The official Latin name is Diabetes Mellitus ( 'sweet p@ss') because until quite recently they used to sip or finger lick the urine to assess it. Upto about 1700 it was known as 'the p@ssing evil' in Britain.

The traditional recommendations used to be 2500 calories a day for men and 2000 for women with 45 to 60% of calories coming from carbs depending on activity and work done, 10 to 20% from protein and upto 35% from fats including 25% from 'good fats'.

The brain needs the equivalent amount of glucose to that provided by 130 grams of carbs a day so 130 grams has become a magic minimum.

You would need 1300 calories a day on average just lie on a bed all day.
Just to be pedantic - diabetes is actually Greek and means “siphon”🙂

As I’ve mentioned mine was you’ve got diabetes and we are going to look at your feet in a month. She’s allegedly a “ diabetes expert “ there’s nothing wrong with my feet . I know this because one of my specific intensive work outs for the stroke recovery is totally focused on my feet. To me it’s still feels like a tick box exercise to me.
They also check your pulses in your feet to make sure you have good circulation and feeling in all your toes as well as the condition of your skin and nails.

I've since switched to cauliflower rice - which is just grated cauliflower basically. I get it in frozen single-portion microwaveable bags from Tesco because I try to put as little effort into cooking as I can get away with. It soaks up the sauce in a curry or stir fry and so it tastes nice, it's filling, and it's very low in both carbs and calories so it ticks all the boxes.
Me to, but I buy the FullGreen one, which takes 2 minutes in the microwave. When we have a rice dish, like a Chilli Con Carne or Chasseur, my wife has a portion of long grain rice (58g carb) while I have my cauli rice (8g carb), which goes to show what a difference a simple swap can make.

Me to, but I buy the FullGreen one, which takes 2 minutes in the microwave. When we have a rice dish, like a Chilli Con Carne or Chasseur, my wife has a portion of long grain rice (58g carb) while I have my cauli rice (8g carb), which goes to show what a difference a simple swap can make.
I have a Bosch mini chopper which makes cauliflower rice in an instant. You would get several portions from a £1 cauli, you can add broccoli and spring onions to give some colour. I also use for making coleslaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back