To worry or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also check your pulses in your feet to make sure you have good circulation and feeling in all your toes as well as the condition of your skin and nails.
It’s true but as I’ve said I do that all already and work my feet very hard I’m even flexing them when I watching TV. When I started walking around the house a couple of years ago. The whole leg would trail kept on banging my left shin on the coffee table it left almost identical semi-scars on my shins. Initially took a while to heal because of blood thinners. Twice I was asked my visiting nurses if I self harmed .

I have a Bosch mini chopper which makes cauliflower rice in an instant. You would get several portions from a £1 cauli, you can add broccoli and spring onions to give some colour. I also use for making coleslaw.
Thanks again for the advice but the last thing I need is more kitchen devices. Can’t can’t cook and really don’t want to be faffing around with meals.

Thanks again for the advice but the last thing I need is more kitchen devices. Can’t can’t cook and really don’t want to be faffing around with meals.
Sometimes getting a diagnosis spurs people into learning how to cook, at least simple meals as they then know exactly what goes into them and are able to keep the carbs limited to what they can tolerate. That is not to say that there are not ready meals that are suitable, you just have to keep a watch on the amount of carbs and maybe have just half the portion and bulk out with veg or salads.

Cooking isn’t all expensive gadgets and all the saucepans you own. It. Can be a couple of chicken thighs crisply done in the air fryer, alongside a pack of stir-fry veg shaken up in a wok in 5 minutes.

I’m in Asia at the moment and am constantly surprised by how quickly a curry, say, can be made from scratch, in a wok, so minimal clear up either.

To be fair, I’m not the main cook in our house, but I do take my turn. We have lots of gadgets and they can make things easier, but if you don’t own one already, I suggest you consider an air fryer. They are magical things, and worth every penny, in my view.

Cooking isn’t all expensive gadgets and all the saucepans you own. It. Can be a couple of chicken thighs crisply done in the air fryer, alongside a pack of stir-fry veg shaken up in a wok in 5 minutes.

I’m in Asia at the moment and am constantly surprised by how quickly a curry, say, can be made from scratch, in a wok, so minimal clear up either.

To be fair, I’m not the main cook in our house, but I do take my turn. We have lots of gadgets and they can make things easier, but if you don’t own one already, I suggest you consider an air fryer. They are magical things, and worth every penny, in my view.
I was looking at airfryers on Amazon.very expensive. Watched some videos on YouTube. I’m none the wiser.
Cooking anything at the moment isn’t an option . I’ve survived for years without any fancy cooking. Just the wrong Granola in the morning. I can change from frying eggs lunchtime I have a poacher, my snacking prior to diagnosis was all types of fruit . Dinner was for example Sausages ( I’ve purchased those Heck ones) apparently tinned new potatoes are fine and I’ve got a couple of packs of microwave vegatables. My yoghurts are now the low fat Greek. I’m quite happy with that . Always had black coffee no sugar, green tea and again before diagnosis . Seems OK to me.

I was looking at airfryers on Amazon.very expensive. Watched some videos on YouTube. I’m none the wiser.
Cooking anything at the moment isn’t an option . I’ve survived for years without any fancy cooking. Just the wrong Granola in the morning. I can change from frying eggs lunchtime I have a poacher, my snacking prior to diagnosis was all types of fruit . Dinner was for example Sausages ( I’ve purchased those Heck ones) apparently tinned new potatoes are fine and I’ve got a couple of packs of microwave vegatables. My yoghurts are now the low fat Greek. I’m quite happy with that . Always had black coffee no sugar, green tea and again before diagnosis . Seems OK to me.
I got a small airfryer from Curry's for £30, big enough to cook 2 chops, chicken breasts, 6 sausages. I think ASDA also has fairly cheap ones.

I got a small airfryer from Curry's for £30, big enough to cook 2 chops, chicken breasts, 6 sausages. I think ASDA also has fairly cheap ones.
Thanks the expense isn’t necessary the main consideration. It’s more a case of buying one and ending up not using it. Maybe I’m deluding myself but surely there a way of controlling your food without starting to cook ( for me ) complicated meals.
With respect a couple of times I’ve mentioned what to me appears to me a radical different weekly shop last week . Again Heck Sausages etc etc yet not really getting much of response. I’ve mentioned countless times. The contradictory advice I’ve been receiving . I was hoping to get some more specific advice on here.

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks the expense isn’t necessary the main consideration. It’s more a case of buying one and ending up not using it. Maybe I’m deluding myself but surely there a way of controlling your food without starting to cook ( for me ) complicated meals.
With respect a couple of times I’ve mentioned what to me appears to me a radical different weekly shop last week . Again Heck Sausages etc etc yet not really getting much of response. I’ve mentioned countless times. The contradictory advice I’ve been receiving . I was hoping to get some more specific advice on here.
The sausages look good at 0 carbs per sausage, your granola is quite high carb at 64g per 100g so a normal portion which is usually 40g would be nearly 30g carb per portion, you would likely be ok with a half portion with Greek yoghurt but there are lower carb granolas like Lizi's low sugar which is 45g carb per 100g. The rice is 29g carb per 100g so again quite high so would depend on how much you had and what you had it with.
Cream crackers are 4.6g carb per cracker so depends on how many you have at once.

The sausages look good at 0 carbs per sausage, your granola is quite high carb at 64g per 100g so a normal portion which is usually 40g would be nearly 30g carb per portion, you would likely be ok with a half portion with Greek yoghurt but there are lower carb granolas like Lizi's low sugar which is 45g carb per 100g. The rice is 29g carb per 100g so again quite high so would depend on how much you had and what you had it with.
Cream crackers are 4.6g carb per cracker so depends on how many you have at once.
Thank you. I did say when I first joined I would be high maintenance. All my life I take a while to get going then it clicks.
All you’ve mentioned I can get control of. Lizi’s will become my granola.
Crackers would be a snack. A couple with some cheese. I’ve got a fairly large tub of Clover spread at the moment. I will ditch that next weeks shop and go over to Bertolli Olive Oil Spread which looks good.
Surely those changes should make some sort of difference especially as I’m at the low end 51 . I get that it’s a lifestyle change not a quick fix but I’m pretty adaptable. The one that most seem keen on is starting the day with what appears to me a pleasant enough meal . Bit of fruit , some yoghurt. I’ve always been keen to start with granola and milk .It fills me up seems a good start to the day. My “ nurse “ was adamant that I shouldn’t start with granola.

I would say that for yourself, cooking with methods you are familiar with will be best. When you have more cooking experience you can consider different cooking methods.

Remember the nutritional information on the back of a packet - the 'per 100 grams' list.
Anything with a higher carb number is something to have a smaller portion of. You can see that leadinglights is saying about half a portion of the granola would be ok (as it has a high number of carbs).

Carbs are in starchy vegetables (eg potatoes), rice, pasta, fruits, sugars, and items made with flour (eg bread, cake, biscuits).
You don't have to exclude everything, but where something has a high carb number in the list, maybe have a smaller portion of that item.
Meat, fish, cheese and most veg are not high carb, so the sausages are fine 🙂

Thank you. I did say when I first joined I would be high maintenance. All my life I take a while to get going then it clicks.
All you’ve mentioned I can get control of. Lizi’s will become my granola.
Crackers would be a snack. A couple with some cheese. I’ve got a fairly large tub of Clover spread at the moment. I will ditch that next weeks shop and go over to Bertolli Olive Oil Spread which looks good.
Surely those changes should make some sort of difference especially as I’m at the low end 51 . I get that it’s a lifestyle change not a quick fix but I’m pretty adaptable. The one that most seem keen on is starting the day with what appears to me a pleasant enough meal . Bit of fruit , some yoghurt. I’ve always been keen to start with granola and milk .It fills me up seems a good start to the day. My “ nurse “ was adamant that I shouldn’t start with granola.
As long as you make the right choice of granola and watch your portion size I would have thought you will be OK. The reason that many people avoid a high carb breakfast is that the morning is when some people are more sensitive to carbs and it can increase blood glucose more than the same amount of carbs at other times of the day.
Unless there is any reason why you need to have the 'spreads' then butter is less processed and tastes better.
I do recommend you look at the nutritional information for the products you are proposing to buy, the shop web site will tell you, that is how I got the carb info I posted.
You will get there, it is early days for you. Keep asking if that helps you.

I would say that for yourself, cooking with methods you are familiar with will be best. When you have more cooking experience you can consider different cooking methods.

Remember the nutritional information on the back of a packet - the 'per 100 grams' list.
Anything with a higher carb number is something to have a smaller portion of. You can see that leadinglights is saying about half a portion of the granola would be ok (as it has a high number of carbs).

Carbs are in starchy vegetables (eg potatoes), rice, pasta, fruits, sugars, and items made with flour (eg bread, cake, biscuits).
You don't have to exclude everything, but where something has a high carb number in the list, maybe have a smaller portion of that item.
Meat, fish, cheese and most veg are not high carb, so the sausages are fine 🙂
Yep. I think the concept of concocting what I see as “ fancy “ meals was becoming part of the issue.

As long as you make the right choice of granola and watch your portion size I would have thought you will be OK. The reason that many people avoid a high carb breakfast is that the morning is when some people are more sensitive to carbs and it can increase blood glucose more than the same amount of carbs at other times of the day.
Unless there is any reason why you need to have the 'spreads' then butter is less processed and tastes better.
I do recommend you look at the nutritional information for the products you are proposing to buy, the shop web site will tell you, that is how I got the carb info I posted.
You will get there, it is early days for you. Keep asking if that helps you.
Thanks I will keep asking. All the answers since I’ve joined have been helpful. But this evenings have focused me.

One more my friends . This is far too late to be scrolling the Sainsburys page. A recommendation for Porridge. Thanks all and goodnight

Do you have scales to weigh the granola? You will likely find the recommended portion size of 40g is surprisingly small if you weigh it, and half of that (20g of the granola) will look positively miniscule. I think that was a big shock for many of us, to realise the recommended portion size of many cereals is much smaller than that which we were tipping into our bowl every morning, before we were diagnosed. I don't weigh my granola but I literally just have a sprinkle on the top of my berries and yoghurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top of that. Personally I prefer creamy full fat Greek style natural yoghurt. If you are cutting down on carbs you can afford to have full fat versions of dairy produce and the fat will keep you from feeling hungry but not impact your BG levels. Indeed fat can help to slow down the release of glucose from the granola, which may enable your body to cope with it better, but if you need to lose weight and you are not going very low carb, then you may be best sticking with low fat yoghurt at least until you reach your target weight.

I tend to choose a nutty granola that doesn't contain fruit because the raisins are quite high carb and you are going to have the granola with a few berries I imagine anyway, so no need to have dried fruit in the granola, it just adds sugar. Nuts are relatively low carb, raisins are higher carb, so it is about choosing the lower carb options. Seeds are also low carb. I buy a bag of mixed seeds and add a tablespoon of them to my breakfast bowl with the yoghurt, berries and sprinkle of granola. Again it bulks out my breakfast a bit more and provides fibre which is really important for a healthy gut, without increasing the carb content.

You mention tinned new potatoes as being OK. Potatoes are a high carb food, so you will still need to limit your portion size even with the tinned spuds.

I appreciate that you are not keen on cooking but just wondered if you have any ideas about how you can increase your vegetable intake. Low carb vegetables will help to fill you up and also provide fibre and nutrients.

Porridge is like rocket fuel for my BG levels. I gave up on it. Some people have a similar response to me and others find it lives up to it's slow release reputation. Oats are about 62% carbs (like all grains) so if you are going to have porridge keep the portion very small because it is high carb and have it with yoghurt to bulk it up. Ideally we would recommend testing before and 2 hours after to see how you respond to porridge or whatever meal you have, but I appreciate you don't want to get into testing just yet with your dexterity still being affected by the stroke.

If you can cook sausages (grilled or fried, for example), an airfryer does that, and more. For example, chicken wings, drummers or anything really ends up with the most fabulously crispy skin (as do the sausages).

Chops and steaks are super easy, air fried.

An airfryer is like a mini oven, but once you know that a large chicken thigh, or leg portion is 30 minutes (in ours anyway), you just load it up and get on with other distractions, and provided you set the timer (even the cheaper ones have timers), it'll switch itself off when done.

My OH is a great cook, but even for him, the airfryer was a game changer.

That dies explain my problems leading up to my diagnosis I suppose.

Yes it is confusing me as well, I feel fine but feel I'm missing out on stuff I could probably have. Not only confusing but annoying as well really, I'm worried about going out for anything to eat etc not knowing what may happen. There has to be more to this than living off your nerves, I know many who basically don't care and just crack on pretty much with everything as normal and genuinely don't seem any worse off.
I feel exactly the same. I have missed so many things since being diagnosed in January all because they involve eating and I’m to scared to eat anything apart from the few things I have found to be ok.

I feel exactly the same. I have missed so many things since being diagnosed in January all because they involve eating and I’m to scared to eat anything apart from the few things I have found to be ok.
Are you testing your blood glucose with a home monitor as you may be rejecting foods and meals that would be fine or would with a few tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back