To worry or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final meal of the day. 3 heck sausages , grilled. Half a pack of that rice ( I’m sure someone could advise me on a better product. Rice is microwave but it means I have to throw some away. Out of the freezer a few frozen Brussels Sprouts
That’s what I would call cooking a meal .
Try Tesco finest sausages..I have them because they are gluten free but they are 97% pork too yummy

Final meal of the day. 3 heck sausages , grilled. Half a pack of that rice ( I’m sure someone could advise me on a better product. Rice is microwave but it means I have to throw some away. Out of the freezer a few frozen Brussels Sprouts
That’s what I would call cooking a meal .
Where do you shop? Tesco do cauliflower rice which doesn’t really have many carbs at all. It’s in individual frozen bags so works well living alone. Or they do frozen bags of rice mixed with veg in. Those are more carbs (32g per bag) but that is a bit lower than the 39g per half pouch of the microwave one you have now.

If you don’t shop at Tesco, other supermarkets may do similar frozen cauliflower rice to try.

Attachments

• IMG_2241.png
    IMG_2241.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2242.png
    IMG_2242.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 1
I would buy the tea you like to drink, and the sausages you like to eat - you can read the carb numbers on the packets and you will see neither are high in carbs.
I agree with others - when the nurse said about cutting rind off the bacon she was probably thinking about the fats and heart health.

Don't fret too much about contradictory info and let the 'per 100g' sugars and carbs info have the final word.
With diabetes some one person may find one thing works a bit better, a different person finds a different thing works a bit better.
Some prefer this sausage, or that tea, but it's you eating and drinking it. So the question is - is this item high carb? If it's not then buy the one you like😉

some items, especially those containing a mix of ingredients (eg a rice and veg mix) the carb content will depending on ingredients, but a lot of items will not vary from another brand enough to matter (eg tea, sausages, basic porridge oats).
Sometimes the only question needed is - 'is this high carb?'

I would buy the tea you like to drink, and the sausages you like to eat - you can read the carb numbers on the packets and you will see neither are high in carbs.
I agree with others - when the nurse said about cutting rind off the bacon she was probably thinking about the fats and heart health.

Don't fret too much about contradictory info and let the 'per 100g' sugars and carbs info have the final word.
With diabetes some one person may find one thing works a bit better, a different person finds a different thing works a bit better.
Some prefer this sausage, or that tea, but it's you eating and drinking it. So the question is - is this item high carb? If it's not then buy the one you like😉
This is good advice to apply to your yoghurt too. I think you’ve picked the lowest carb yoghurt there is, so if you like it great but if you don’t then look at other natural or Greek yoghurts and find one you like. It won’t be high carb unless it has extra flavours in it.

I'm not sure on comparative cost to the Lizzi's granola but I usually get deliciously Ella nutty granola which is 48.6g carbs per 100g. I weigh a 45g portion when I'm having it, but as you say lower carb granola than your previous granola will still reduce carbs even without checking your portion exactly. (Partly I get that one as it's gluten free so my fiancé can have the same one when he's over for breakfast). I do mostly have eggs for breakfast though.

If you like cauliflower cheese then IMO sainsburys frozen "loose" cauliflower cheese is the tastiest of all the supermarkets, and you can put the size of portion you want into a pyrex bowl/casserole to microwave or oven bake.

And as Lucy has said, you can get frozen single portion packs of rice/ cauliflower rice/ vegetables with or without rice so they can be very helpful if you need food that isn't needing much preparation

I'm not sure on comparative cost to the Lizzi's granola but I usually get deliciously Ella nutty granola which is 48.6g carbs per 100g. I weigh a 45g portion when I'm having it, but as you say lower carb granola than your previous granola will still reduce carbs even without checking your portion exactly. (Partly I get that one as it's gluten free so my fiancé can have the same one when he's over for breakfast). I do mostly have eggs for breakfast though.

If you like cauliflower cheese then IMO sainsburys frozen "loose" cauliflower cheese is the tastiest of all the supermarkets, and you can put the size of portion you want into a pyrex bowl/casserole to microwave or oven bake.

And as Lucy has said, you can get frozen single portion packs of rice/ cauliflower rice/ vegetables with or without rice so they can be very helpful if you need food that isn't needing much preparation
Thanks specific suggestions are great I’m already building a Sainsbury’s shop for next weekend it won’t be massive I’m not going to chuck much of the earlier purchased “ dodgy “ food but as you can see I’m already filtering in some of the new suggestions There’s loads of frozen and microwave fruit and veg available. I’ve always liked fruit and veg .
Here’s an example of my lack of cooking knowledge though I like cottage cheese . It’s on my shopping list already but is it a meal on its own or do you add stuff with it ?
I’m amazing at housework though

I would say cottage cheese is more of an eat something with it item.
But I'm not best to advise on what to eat with it ... I'm more of a vintage cheddar eater myself :confused:

How do you do the eggs though. I’m an egg genius. Can make amazing omelettes , scrambled, I even have a poached egg maker. When I previously made an omelette I chuck cheese in , chopped onions, chopped ham even marmite, lovely but surely that can’t be good for me especially the cheese one.

How do you do the eggs though. I’m an egg genius. Can make amazing omelettes , scrambled, I even have a poached egg maker. When I previously made an omelette I chuck cheese in , chopped onions, chopped ham even marmite, lovely but surely that can’t be good for me especially the cheese one.
Absolutely fine, you can add virtually any veg to an omelette, I use mushrooms, you do need to cook them first, lightly fry.
Cottage cheese is low fat and very bland so best had with other stuff, though I'm struggling to think what other than salad.
You seem to be doing very well at making some changes so hopefully that will be reflected in your HbA1C when you next get tested.
Just concentrate on recovery from your stroke, my Mum was not so lucky and passed away from a stroke at age 55 when I was 16.

If you are not restricting saturated fats (and I seem to remember you are not), then throwing some cheese in an omelette will do no harm.
I do hard boiled if using in a salad, or scrambled, or make an omelette.
One useful type of omelette is called a frittata - it's basically anything you want put in (can put meat and veg in, so it's a meal in itself). Because of the filling it's quite thick, so you don't fold it over, if the base is ready but the top isn't done, you just put the frypan under a hot grill just to cook off the top.

You say you can't cook, but if you can cook omelette you can cook frittata - the only difference is veg etc are mixed into the egg, not put in the middle. No folding, and a minute or 2 under the grill just before serving if the top isn't cooked.

I haven't seen bacon with rind on for years. A few of us have port scratchings as a snack, nice and crunchy and zero carbs.
Pork scratchings ? Love them assumed they’d be a no. There’s loads on Amazon this looks Ok to me .Trouble is once I start eating it’s difficult to stop. Obvious I know but I guess I’m going to have to regulate portions . This one ( for example ) looks decent.

Attachments

• IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 6
Cottage cheese is low fat and very bland so best had with other stuff, though I'm struggling to think what other than salad.
as a non-cottage cheese eater this is why I totally skipped answering - all I could think of was salad, or maybe crackers/crispbread (but crackers/crispbread are carbs) :D

Absolutely fine, you can add virtually any veg to an omelette, I use mushrooms, you do need to cook them first, lightly fry.
You seem to be doing very well at making some changes so hopefully that will be reflected in your HbA1C when you next get tested.
Just concentrate on recovery from your stroke, my Mum was not so lucky and passed away from a stroke at age 55 when I was 16.
I’m very pleased with the stroke recovery. As I said “ you will never walk “ to fully mobile. It’s become almost holistic. I’m exercising well already , I’ve had to of I would have frozen up, so I’m definitely over the quota of exercise, losing weight makes a hell of a difference to the recovery ( again he isn’t just a physio, he’s very aware of diet , psychological stuff ) he was saying a a kilogram off has an amazing effect on my movement , less strain on my heart etc, in fact everything thing I do for the diabetes makes my stroke recovery easier. Bingo. I’m fit for my age anyway , don’t forget a stroke isn’t like a heart attack the main problem is the Brain Damage. I’m really trying not to go on about my stroke but with exercise, nutrients, lots of water you can build new nueron receptors than bypass the permanently dead part of the Brain.
It almost sounds like voodoo science but he has a military background and ended up working at Mannhiem Miltary Hospital . Rehabbing soldiers with serious brain injuries. Anyway it’s very much working just got to get my balance working. 100% and cranking up my stamina.
Again the diabetes treatment will help that immensely . It’s a win win.

as a non-cottage cheese eater this is why I totally skipped answering - all I could think of was salad, or maybe crackers/crispbread (but crackers/crispbread are carbs) :D
When I was still married my wife used to do a massive diced salad, with a spattering of oil on it and throw in these ( I think it was garlic ) small crunchy cubes , very nice. Damned if I can remember what they were and of course would small garlic cubes , or whatever they were be OK ?

Cottage cheese is definitely the protein of a meal rather than a meal on its own. I'm not a fan so not sure what to eat it with, unless crackers and salad? I think you said you have some crispbread/crackers in to use up anyway, so you could maybe have just a couple with lots of cottage cheese and salad?

On work days I usually scramble 2 eggs in the microwave at work for breakfast. If I'm at home then I usually fry a couple with one slice of toast to dip in the yolks. If I'm being organised and planning ahead then I get ramekins or other small dishes and make mini crustless quiches (basically fritattas but in the oven not the frying pan).

The garlic crunchy things sound like croutons. They are carbs (basically toasted cubes) but if you only have a few then you can limit how many carbs they add to the meal

When I was still married my wife used to do a massive diced salad, with a spattering of oil on it and throw in these ( I think it was garlic ) small crunchy cubes
they may be croutons, carbs are pretty high in them, but should be ok now and again if just having a sprinkle on a salad. You can get different flavours btw
Sainsbury's Garlic & Herb Croutons 100g
Carbohydrate 64.8g
Sugars 3.1g

they may be croutons, carbs are pretty high in them, but should be ok now and again if just having a sprinkle on a salad. You can get different flavours btw
Sainsbury's Garlic & Herb Croutons 100g
Carbohydrate 64.8g
Sugars 3.1g
Croutons that’s it . 100g of croutons. Heck I am going to have to weigh things. Back to the nurse again but she said a guide is a sensible handful of anything. That was OK because that’s how I think, avoiding numbers as I’ve mentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back