To worry or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the US, the Net carbs includes fiber. So to calculate the amount of carbs digested, you need to subtract the fiber content.
The hint is always in the spelling - in the US it is fiber
Surely net carbs means total carbs minus fibre?

Just to add to the post from @Felina.
There is a reason why it is important to consider the source of the data you use for carb counting and where the apps are based.
In the UK (and most other countries), the stated Total carb content excludes fibre. This is not digested so it does not affect our BG.
In the US, the Net carbs includes fiber. So to calculate the amount of carbs digested, you need to subtract the fiber content.
The hint is always in the spelling - in the US it is fiber
Like everything around this subject "clear as mud" just a nightmare.

Surely net carbs means total carbs minus fibre?
Americans class fibre on food packets as part of total carbs, so yup American net carbs is total carbs less fibre

I had no idea about carbohydrate when I was first diagnosed @Ranger. I bought myself the Collins Gem Carb Counter book - it’s a good place to start.
Hello again Bloden, I got that book and just as an example.
Pepsi Max = No carbs, am I to presume that's OK? or is there another minefield on sweeteners used in that for example. Thanks in anticipation

My money's on the batter and the bread, but to be honest chips and peas aren't ideal either. Did you add up the carbs? My guess is you had 40g or more.
Hello Martin, I wonder if you could just clarify something? I got the Collins Calorie Counter book as someone recommended, it shows Carbs also per 100g.
In there it says Pepsi Max has no Carbs, does that mean it's OK? or does this question open up another question on sweeteners used in drinks etc.

Hello Martin, I wonder if you could just clarify something? I got the Collins Calorie Counter book as someone recommended, it shows Carbs also per 100g.
In there it says Pepsi Max has no Carbs, does that mean it's OK? or does this question open up another question on sweeteners used in drinks etc.
Most people are fine as far as blood glucose is concerned, a few find some sweeteners a problem and some don't have because of ethics.
So generally for many people diet drinks are fine.

Most people are fine as far as blood glucose is concerned, a few find some sweeteners a problem and some don't have because of ethics.
So generally for many people diet drinks are fine.
Absolutely brilliant news, I generally would only have a glass in the evening so that's excellent, no fizzy drinks, beer, juices for last 5 days is doing me in. Perhaps I should be a bit more adventurous and just try things but early days yet so still cautious. Thanks for the reply.

Absolutely brilliant news, I generally would only have a glass in the evening so that's excellent, no fizzy drinks, beer, juices for last 5 days is doing me in. Perhaps I should be a bit more adventurous and just try things but early days yet so still cautious. Thanks for the reply.
Flavoured sparkling water is also very refreshing.

Yes, as long as you're OK with artificial sweeteners it's fine, although personally I don't like it. My goto soft drinks are Coke Zero (I prefer it to Diet Coke) or Sprite Zero, but as @Leadinglights says you can make your own fizzy drinks if you buy sparkling water and flavour it yourself. My wife (she's not diabetic) often does it by adding a little cordial.

Hello again Bloden, I got that book and just as an example.
Pepsi Max = No carbs, am I to presume that's OK? or is there another minefield on sweeteners used in that for example. Thanks in anticipation
Hi Ranger. I don’t drink Pepsi Max, but an online search says there’s no carb in it. 😛

I hope you’re feeling less overwhelmed now @Ranger. Keep asking questions - there’s loads of knowledgeable peeps here.

I find I quite like most artificial sweeteners and find they have no impact on my blood glucose so I drink 'zero' type fizzy drinks fairly regularly. I also use Canderel sweeteners in my coffee where I used to have two spoons of sugar in every cup. They do artificial sweeteners and ones based on stevia, which is a natural sweetener. Both kinds taste fine to me.

Beers can be quite high in carbs - between 10g and 15g per pint. A pint of Guinness is roughly equivalent to a slice of bread. Zero carb beers do exist though they can be hard to find. Almost all spirits have zero carbs though, and dry white wine has very little.

Natural fruit juices are high in sugar and are rapidly digested so probably best avoided unless in tiny quantities.

Do definitely try things and do the finger prick test to see how you get on. You won't know for certain what you can have every day, what you can have as an occasional treat, and what to avoid entirely, until you test. Best of luck 🙂

No Martin I didn't unfortunately I don't understand what is good/bad, high/low carbs it is all beyond me. I literally got a phone call Friday saying you are Diabeti and when a foot check was being done..that's it! Just left hanging basically, can't believe the attitude they have towards it because it scares the life out of me.

That's brilliant Drummer cheers. Am I over thinking this?
I have (I think) as a starting point 130g for carbs a day.
So what is a starting point for sugar per day?
Or as I say! am I over complicating things?
Can I dive in here ? First off you’re ahead of me. Couple of “ the elders. “ on this thread have already helped me . I have regular blood tests . So it’s no big deal ,I hd a phone call from the GPs we are just phoning you about your diabetes. What diabetes. Similar message to you from the sounds of it. She wasn’t interested in my questions just a quick “ nothing to worry about “ “ we will be in touch to check your feet “ . As I do I’ve spent the last week researching. Thank god for this forum but had finally a return phone from the diabetes nurse this morning. She contracted a lot of the info I have been advised on here. Also phoned the helpline on diabetes U.K. who also contradicted the advice on here. The main one being “ don’t worry about the carbs “ also ( there maybe some truth in this ) she told me I was overthinking and not to worry.
I’ve always been really good in crisis situations. I know what the issue is and what I can or can’t do to ease it. This is a new one. Generally I’ve had a good life dotted with a few big problems but this . Well.‍♂️

Thanks Drummer that is exactly what I was getting at, so as long as I concentrate on Carbs per meal/day I'm on the right track.
If that is right mate and I just need to concentrate on the carb info on the labels then happy days I can probably get by. So when it says "of which sugars" after the carbs on the label I should just concentrate on the main carbs total.
Target carbs I thought that’s easy but as I mentioned in the other post I’m told that’s wrong. I know I’m not helping you @Ranger but I have advice attacking me from all over the place.

I find I quite like most artificial sweeteners and find they have no impact on my blood glucose so I drink 'zero' type fizzy drinks fairly regularly. I also use Canderel sweeteners in my coffee where I used to have two spoons of sugar in every cup. They do artificial sweeteners and ones based on stevia, which is a natural sweetener. Both kinds taste fine to me.

Beers can be quite high in carbs - between 10g and 15g per pint. A pint of Guinness is roughly equivalent to a slice of bread. Zero carb beers do exist though they can be hard to find. Almost all spirits have zero carbs though, and dry white wine has very little.

Natural fruit juices are high in sugar and are rapidly digested so probably best avoided unless in tiny quantities.

Do definitely try things and do the finger prick test to see how you get on. You won't know for certain what you can have every day, what you can have as an occasional treat, and what to avoid entirely, until you test. Best of luck 🙂
Just as well ask while I’m here. I’m trying to do my weekly online shop. Going on the advice on this forum this weeks looks radically different, except for ditching granola and muesli it’s the same food except hopefully the better version. For example I will have sausages twice a week. I’ve found some vegan ones which appear miles better for me. Used to have oven chips with a lot of things ( I’m a lazy and rubbish cook) switched to tinned new potatoes. My yoghurts I was eating looked well dodgy so I’ve gone for low fat Greek Yoghurt , I really don’t understand but my thought process is this weekly shop must surely be an improvement on last weeks.
Big one for me havnt touched alcohol for a long time . Do like my caffeine ( within reason) have an expresso no milk no sugar but I do like my energy drinks again in moderation. So zero sugar carbonated drinks are fine ?
Again @Ranger sorry for gatecrashing your thread.

For example I will have sausages twice a week. I’ve found some vegan ones which appear miles better for me.
I highly reccomend heck sausages when on offer, if you eat meat. Sausages are fairly easy to understand the good choices, for meat ones it will have pork % on the back, look for a high number. For vegetarian and vegan ones either look at the carb amount and/or the number of ingredients and whether you understand them. Maybe some mushrooms tomatoes and eggs to go with the sausages if you like them?

You don’t have to change everything at once, make a couple of changes in your shop for this week, then make some more changes the week after.

I highly reccomend heck sausages when on offer, if you eat meat. Sausages are fairly easy to understand the good choices, for meat ones it will have pork % on the back, look for a high number. For vegetarian and vegan ones either look at the carb amount and/or the number of ingredients and whether you understand them. Maybe some mushrooms tomatoes and eggs to go with the sausages if you like them?

You don’t have to change everything at once, make a couple of changes in your shop for this week, then make some more changes the week after.
Nice just put Heck Sausages on my list. I have until 11pm to amend. I would put the whole list up for you all to check but maybe not. Sorry I might come over as facetious don’t mean to be rude.its my way of dealing with this sort of thing.
Love this forum

I used to buy vegan sausages but I was put off when I read that they are UPFs, so these days I buy proper sausages from a local butcher. If I had to buy from a supermarket though I would always go for the Heck ones too, and have done so once or twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back