The Pumpers Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrienne,
Good news! I changed the breakfast ratio to what you suggested 1:12 and it stopped him having a hypo! He was 11mmols 2 x hours after eating - BUT he had also had an impromptu set change just before school - so normally goes a bit high. So hopefully tomorow he will be a nice level and no hypo - fingers crossed!

Also - this evening i changed his 8.30pm basal from 0.400 to 0.425 to help with the late evening rise like you have suggested- i will let you know if it works! Thanks again.🙂Bev

Hey great news Bev. Small changes do big things. You are sounding so much happier than the other day. x

Hi guys

Wow it's been busy on here. Will go back over stuff, Bev will PM you as well....

Completely changing the posts - sorry :( just had to share what happened to Rose today....Did a set change last night and all working fine, levels at school before lunch today were 3.0 then up to 6.0. 2 hours later after clarinet lesson, bloods tested again (as normal day) and get a call from school - she's 30.1 😱 Rushed up to school and saw blood in the part of the quick set so did a set change at school - which didn't go down well with Rose......

Put her on a temp basal of 200% (would make it 0.5) for an hour and a correction - she had 0.3 ketone so not too bad. An hour later at home she was 20.6, then 1 more hour later she was 3.3 😱😱 ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, bless her, she's gone to bed tonight around the 8 mark complaining of bad tummy ache probably because she's been hypo from lunch up into the 30s and hypo again within 5 hours GRRR!!!!!! One of those days.....

Hi guys

Wow it's been busy on here. Will go back over stuff, Bev will PM you as well....

Completely changing the posts - sorry :( just had to share what happened to Rose today....Did a set change last night and all working fine, levels at school before lunch today were 3.0 then up to 6.0. 2 hours later after clarinet lesson, bloods tested again (as normal day) and get a call from school - she's 30.1 😱 Rushed up to school and saw blood in the part of the quick set so did a set change at school - which didn't go down well with Rose......

Put her on a temp basal of 200% (would make it 0.5) for an hour and a correction - she had 0.3 ketone so not too bad. An hour later at home she was 20.6, then 1 more hour later she was 3.3 😱😱 ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, bless her, she's gone to bed tonight around the 8 mark complaining of bad tummy ache probably because she's been hypo from lunch up into the 30s and hypo again within 5 hours GRRR!!!!!! One of those days.....

Oh no thats awful, poor Rose. No wonder she was not impressed, a set change at school eh !! I would have no doubt done the same.

I've not see blood in the quick set before. We used to get blood in the tube of the silhouette very occasionally but I could bolus it back in or out, would that be the same with the quick set do you think?

Will tell Jessica that Rose plays the clarinet, Jessica had her third lesson today and loves it.

Hi guys

Not quite sure what to say here re the beans. I am so shocked that some of you have been told not to count beans and especially in a DAFNE course. I am gobsmacked. They are all carbs, lots of carbs and all have to be counted. They make such a huge impact on levels. It is not just the carbs it is the fibre as well. In the USA they actually count fibre as well as carbs. Not sure how that is done but in the UK we don't ! Don't know why.

For example I'm looking at a tin of haricot beans. The tin is not huge and I would put it all into a mince mix of some sort. The whole tin is 21 carbs. For 100g there is 9.0 carbs.

Baked beans : I have here a tin of heinz which happens to be 'low in sugar' on the can. It is one of the large ish cans with 415 g in. For half the can (and I can imagine some would have the whole can on toast) it is 26.7 carbs.

You cannot ignore beans. All pulses need counting unless you have so few. We have been told to not worry about counting things under 5 carbs but some people have to, we do. Also if you have lots of things on your plate with under 5 cho each then they will add up to over !

A jacket potato with cheese is hard to sort out due to the cheese (fat). A jacket with just beans is also hard to work out (due to the fibre) but put cheese and beans on a jacket and you blow it out the window. most people find they cannot work out a way of covering that particular dish with insulin. Even pumpers find it really really hard work. I can't do it and neither can the others on the email list. We have all tried and it is topic of conversation regularly.

Bev, beans on toast could well have shot A up but not all night.

I do understand what you are saying Adrienne, but like i said for me i dont count beans unless i have a lot and then i dont dose the full amount, all trial and error, they did emphasise everyone is different but they were keen to establish that because the asorbsion is so slow they do not make a difference overall, including all pulses. for example if i made chilli with kidney beans i woudnt count the chilli at all, only rice etc.

I havent had a baked pot yet on the pump but love them with cheese and beans, for me i can defiately only count the pot as will go low very quickly otherwise. It is bad the way we all get differing advice isnt it, i guess mainly it comes down to our own experiences doesnt it? You cant teach that, and thankfully for us you have bucket loads of experience. :D

Hi guys

Put her on a temp basal of 200% (would make it 0.5) for an hour and a correction - she had 0.3 ketone so not too bad. An hour later at home she was 20.6, then 1 more hour later she was 3.3 ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh no - poor you and poor Rose! You must have been so worried.
I hope she feels better in the morning.

Just one question. I havent used the temp basal as a way to to get levels down - i always use a bolus using the correction factor. How do you work out how much to increase the basal by - or is it just instinct?:confused:Bev x

I do understand what you are saying Adrienne, but like i said for me i dont count beans unless i have a lot and then i dont dose the full amount, all trial and error, they did emphasise everyone is different but they were keen to establish that because the asorbsion is so slow they do not make a difference overall, including all pulses. for example if i made chilli with kidney beans i woudnt count the chilli at all, only rice etc.

I havent had a baked pot yet on the pump but love them with cheese and beans, for me i can defiately only count the pot as will go low very quickly otherwise. It is bad the way we all get differing advice isnt it, i guess mainly it comes down to our own experiences doesnt it? You cant teach that, and thankfully for us you have bucket loads of experience. :D

Hi Tracey

I agree it is trial and error and that everyone is different.

But I still don't understand this, it doesn't make any sense in my head :confused:

Did you go on this DAFNE course whilst you were on injections? That maybe will make more sense to me. When Jessica was on injections we never counted fruit except bananas and grapes. On a pump though you have to count everything. I said to my DSN but fruit doesn't do anything and she said just watch and she was right. This may be one of those things that I will have to accept but not understand. Might ask the email group, there are some people on their with brains like you would not believe. Now they seriously know their stuff, makes me look like small fry !!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that you are wrong, I think DAFNE are wrong and I don't understand it.

I've not see blood in the quick set before. We used to get blood in the tube of the silhouette very occasionally but I could bolus it back in or out, would that be the same with the quick set do you think?

Will tell Jessica that Rose plays the clarinet, Jessica had her third lesson today and loves it.

I've never thought of bolusing to get the blood out, i wonder if that would work? She's had blood in them before and they haven't affected her levels, but this one obviously did - poor love, she hasn't been that high in ages..........pre pumping i think.....

Just checked her and she's now 5.2, long night ahead.......

Oooh, will tell her about Jessica, it was lesson 2 today for Rose 🙂

Oh no - poor you and poor Rose! You must have been so worried.
I hope she feels better in the morning.

Just one question. I havent used the temp basal as a way to to get levels down - i always use a bolus using the correction factor. How do you work out how much to increase the basal by - or is it just instinct?:confused:Bev x

Hi Bev, i think with Rose that high (and i normally do it if she's over 20) i do a temp basal just to reduce the insulin resistancy that she normally gets (although today she's proved me wrong by dropping so quick!) For me, it's been trial and error and instinct. It depends on what basal she is on etc...During the day it's her lowest basal (0.25) so any temp needs to be significant for it to have an impact...

Hi Tracey

I agree it is trial and error and that everyone is different.

But I still don't understand this, it doesn't make any sense in my head :confused:

Did you go on this DAFNE course whilst you were on injections? That maybe will make more sense to me. When Jessica was on injections we never counted fruit except bananas and grapes. On a pump though you have to count everything. I said to my DSN but fruit doesn't do anything and she said just watch and she was right. This may be one of those things that I will have to accept but not understand. Might ask the email group, there are some people on their with brains like you would not believe. Now they seriously know their stuff, makes me look like small fry !!

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that you are wrong, I think DAFNE are wrong and I don't understand it.

I know, i find it hard to get conflicting info, i was on mdi, it was a couple of months ago. I was also told i didnt need to bolus for 10g snacks, are you saying that i do now? No one has actually told me what to do, my dsn said continue with dafne principles. I have to say though so far i have bolused for evrything as it feels right to.

I've never thought of bolusing to get the blood out, i wonder if that would work? She's had blood in them before and they haven't affected her levels, but this one obviously did - poor love, she hasn't been that high in ages..........pre pumping i think.....

Just checked her and she's now 5.2, long night ahead.......

Oooh, will tell her about Jessica, it was lesson 2 today for Rose 🙂

poor Rose, hope she has a better day tomorrow, must be so frustrating to have to take children out of school?

I know, i find it hard to get conflicting info, i was on mdi, it was a couple of months ago. I was also told i didnt need to bolus for 10g snacks, are you saying that i do now? No one has actually told me what to do, my dsn said continue with dafne principles. I have to say though so far i have bolused for evrything as it feels right to.

Hi Tracey,
When A was on MDI we were told he could have a 14g snack without injection. This never worked -he always went high! Everything he eats on the pump is bolused for - unless its a snack to do sport etc..

His ratios for breakfast for example is 1:12 - so if he had more than that he needs a unit.I think the reason is because there isnt enough basal to cope with a sudden carb snack - whereas on MDI - there was always a higher amount of basal lurking to help mop up some of it. I think i am right saying this - if not - I am sure Becca or Adrienne will put me right!🙂Bev

Hi Tracey,
When A was on MDI we were told he could have a 14g snack without injection. This never worked -he always went high! Everything he eats on the pump is bolused for - unless its a snack to do sport etc..

His ratios for breakfast for example is 1:12 - so if he had more than that he needs a unit.I think the reason is because there isnt enough basal to cope with a sudden carb snack - whereas on MDI - there was always a higher amount of basal lurking to help mop up some of it. I think i am right saying this - if not - I am sure Becca or Adrienne will put me right!🙂Bev

ok, thanks, so If i have a digestive now i would bolus? Unless it was for excercise, thanks so much. i know this is basic stuff but really i have not been told to do anything different and as we know mdi is so different.

going off topic a bit here, but was on a work course today,, and a girl there been diabetic 20 years, she was about 25ish on twice daily injections and i told her i had a pump and that there is a better way than twice daily injections, as she is taking set doses. but she just said "oh ive done this for 20 years", i know we are all different but i dont understand how some people just plod on cos its what they have always done. I noticed she did not test her blood all day, i could not do this. Even when i was on twice daily i tested at mealtimes, how else do you know where you are at. Anyway waffling, just dont understand how people not interested in finding out things. I showed her my pump and all she said was "how do you wear a dress?" Is it just me that finds this strange? 😱😱

Hi

You are spot on, bolus for everything except, (why is there always an exception eh?) if you need free carbs or things with hardly any in ie brocolli, sprouts (unless you eat a bucket load like Jessica tends to at Christmas).

Someone asked me what free carbs are before. For example before swimming lessons today Jessica was 5.9. I knew from past experience that she would be hypo within 5 minutes of swimming. I gave her some free carbs and we tested after 15 minutes and she was 6.2 and after she was 8.0 so worked ok. I gave her a Harvest Chewee bar which is 15 cho. Normally I would have given 10 cho but I had nothing on me that could add up to that. Free carbs can be a quick acting ie glucotabs or a longer acting like the cereal bar and normally only about 10 carbs.

But if you eat snacks of 10 cho and you do not need any free carbs then yes absolutely bolus for them.

I have friends who were told on MDI if they had 10 cho not to inject and yes I agree with that if that works but pumping is a whole other ball game.

I remember being told when we first started pumping that I had to clear my head of everything I had been taught about MDI and hypos treatments etc etc. It took a while but it is like starting over again.

VEO problem

Hi

Just read this on our email group. Won't name the hospital but it is a brilliant source :

... received a call from hospital today saying medtronic is sending a letter to all people with a Veo. There is a confirmed problem but it is a software problem. Veos are not currently being made until this is rectified & all existing Veos will be replaced. The timescales were a bit vague but probably by January.

If there are problems between now & receiving the new Veo, a 522 will be sent in it's place.

Hope that clears up some malfunction problems eek ! Don't know whether anyone has had them on here yet. Bev, help me out here? I think it comes up something like 'motor error' or similar.

Someone on the other list has just posted a message saying that medtronic are recalling all the veo's as there is a problem with the software! They have stopped making them and are sending letters to all who have them. They are sending the 522 as a replacement if you have a problem with the veo. They hope to have them all replaced by January!😱

I think i will ring medtronic tomorrow and check if this is all correct!😱Bev

We crossed! Yes your right it says 'MOTOR ERROR' - if your veo shows this message then it needs replacing. Hmm. I dont think i will be happy to wait until January! I will be ringing our team tomorrow to see if they know anything - and medtronic. I wonder if they will replace even if you dont have a problem?😱Bev

We crossed! Yes your right it says 'MOTOR ERROR' - if your veo shows this message then it needs replacing. Hmm. I dont think i will be happy to wait until January! I will be ringing our team tomorrow to see if they know anything - and medtronic. I wonder if they will replace even if you dont have a problem?😱Bev

I would imagine they will Bev if it is the software, the replacements they were sending out had the same problem. One of the others had the same problem on the replacement didn't she?

Bit worrying isn't it.

Hi

You are spot on, bolus for everything except, (why is there always an exception eh?) if you need free carbs or things with hardly any in ie brocolli, sprouts (unless you eat a bucket load like Jessica tends to at Christmas).

Someone asked me what free carbs are before. For example before swimming lessons today Jessica was 5.9. I knew from past experience that she would be hypo within 5 minutes of swimming. I gave her some free carbs and we tested after 15 minutes and she was 6.2 and after she was 8.0 so worked ok. I gave her a Harvest Chewee bar which is 15 cho. Normally I would have given 10 cho but I had nothing on me that could add up to that. Free carbs can be a quick acting ie glucotabs or a longer acting like the cereal bar and normally only about 10 carbs.

But if you eat snacks of 10 cho and you do not need any free carbs then yes absolutely bolus for them.

I have friends who were told on MDI if they had 10 cho not to inject and yes I agree with that if that works but pumping is a whole other ball game.

I remember being told when we first started pumping that I had to clear my head of everything I had been taught about MDI and hypos treatments etc etc. It took a while but it is like starting over again.

thanks so much, again! that really helps me feel more confident in what im doing, bet the dsn is wondering where i am as i just keep asking you guys, he he. will call her tomorrow to catch up.

Reminds me, so far for hypos i have only given the fast acting cho and has worked fine, again something i have read on here.

Ladies, ladies, ladies!!!!

I was only here at lunchtime before work and Ive just read EIGHT pages!!!!

BEANS, I do exactly what they say on the tin so I bolus- I should be so lucky they are free...

It did occur to me before you got the 24 hour tape its amost like you having a pump on, Bev! Really would be interested to know how you get on with the sleeping! Bless A, he must find that amusing that mum is pumping for 24 hours too! ope all the gallbladder stuff is ok.

This Veo recall stuff- is this in adition to what we were chatting about a few weeks back? Becca did a thread detailing the software flaw and motor error. If this is the case, what will be given when our pumps are recalled? If anyone has spoken to medtronic or their team i would be really interested to know what the offical word is. Thanks in adv.(I know I should be taking this VERY seriously but all I can think is that Im changing to a blue one :D).

Lesley, sounds like a great choice of pump. I would love to see one of these, I have little envious moments since hearing about Traceys...

Hope everyone is ok, must dash its late, starting work at 7.30am and Im not through all the new posts yet.....so much to do, so little time!

xXx

One of 'those' nights!

Good morning everyone

Changed my son's set at 4pm yesterday. All went well and he went to bed on 6.0.

Checked him at midnight and he was 17 and noticed he was not atached to pump! 😱

Re-attched him, bolused a correction and set alarm for two hours later.

Two hours later - 16 and with ketones. 😱

Gave him water to drink, used his pen to inject Novorapid then did a set change. He was so good about it all but cannot have been pleasant having to go through all that at such an ungodly hour!

This morning he is 5.6 so hopefully all ok now.

Don't know what happened exactly because he obviously had come unattached but also i noticed bubbles near the top of the reservoir (larger than champagne ones).

I think i need to have a plan for these horrbile night time problems ie fill several reservoirs in advance? Because messing around with filling a reservoir from the insulin bottle is distressing at such an hour of the night/morning!

I am going to read back a few pages (i have only skimmed through) as i think you have been discussing bubbles etc.

Anyway, how are you all? Becca- sorry to hear about R's problem and having to do a set change at school. Hope all ok now.
Will come back later and read your posts in more detail.

I do not log on quite as often these days and cannot believe how many pages have been written each time I do! But it's all good stuff and it is great that we all here together. I am always so interested in everything that you all write.

Love to you all. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back