Technology - Libre Freestyle Blood Glucose Monitoring System

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Libre 2 integration to xDrip is defaulted to an update every 5 minutes but could be every minute.
I've recently downloaded the xDrip4iOS to my iPhone, and love that it gives me rtCGM from my Libre2. I've adjusted my notifications so that the readings show on a banner across the top, and on my lock screen. I'm still exploring all it can do.

but as far as I know - the test strips are only available on NHS to people injecting insulin.
And on other medication which may cause hypos such as Glycazide (sp?)
Then there are some fortunate people with type 2 who have DSNs/GPs who understand teh value of testing and may also prescribe test strips.

Unfortunately, I think going from a culture of rare test strip prescription for people with type 2 to prescribing Libre for people with type 2 is a huge jump. It is not just the cost of the LIbre (which is significant compared to test strips - I was told 1 Libre equates to about 10 test strips per day), it is also the cost of training people to use them. I don't mean how to apply them, I mean how to interpret the data and what the limitations are. Sadly, I have seen too many posts from people who are wasting their/the NHS money because they see Libre as a replacement of "painful" finger pricks and nothing more.

It is not an app on the PC it is a programme linked to Abbott.

Just trying not to get bogged down by ‘overthinking’ anything.

Often a problem for me. If anyone is interested in checking out the #LibreFreestyle free trial I truly believe they would benefit most to - download the app to make sure it works on their phone - order the free trial - slap it on their arm - use it and take the opportunity to see if it works for them - it really is that simple.

Then research it before deciding if it’s a worthwhile expense.

Then there are some fortunate people with type 2 who have DSNs/GPs who understand teh value of testing and may also prescribe test strips.

Unfortunately, I think going from a culture of rare test strip prescription for people with type 2 to prescribing Libre for people with type 2 is a huge jump. It is not just the cost of the LIbre (which is significant compared to test strips - I was told 1 Libre equates to about 10 test strips per day), it is also the cost of training people to use them. I don't mean how to apply them, I mean how to interpret the data and what the limitations are. Sadly, I have seen too many posts from people who are wasting their/the NHS money because they see Libre as a replacement of "painful" finger pricks and nothing more.

I totally get that. Which is why I say ‘it’s not for everyone’.

Without intending to be patronising - to benefit one would need to be (or have a carer who is) able to -understand blood glucose levels and how they impact diabetic prognoses - how the device actually works - interpret graphs and various other datum- - basically to ‘take back control’ of their own health.

I found my way around by myself but we’re all different.m. I see there are NHS ‘courses’ to train people and there are options for people who are previously ‘self funded’ It’s not viable to spend vast amounts of public money on expensive devices unless they are going to benefit specific individuals. But a lot of people could benefit. They just need a little imagination.

I guess it would need to be for people ‘under the care of a consultant’ to be considered a viable option?

Again, I could be wrong, but I believe people injecting insulin are prescribed test strips automatically.
And as do, as some else suggested people on some medications.

download the app to make sure it works on their phone
I'm afraid that doesn't mean it will work, the app is available on the Play Store to anyone, just because you can download it doesn't mean it will work so you wouldn't necessarily know until you tried to use a sensor, some phones that have the capability aren't even recommended so it really isn't as simple as the way you put it out

I'm afraid that doesn't mean it will work, the app is available on the Play Store to anyone, just because you can download it doesn't mean it will work so you wouldn't necessarily know until you tried to use a sensor, some phones that have the capability aren't even recommended so it really isn't as simple as the way you put it out

I use IOS - but that is yet another very good reason not to part with money - get the free sample - and take it from there.

Just resist the temptation to ‘overthink’ - nothing much to lose really.

It doesn't really matter what you use, it's still available to anyone regardless of the platform and earlier models of iPhones don't have the capability but it still shows on Apple

I mean how to interpret the data and what the limitations are.
I agree with what you said. Thankfully I had a good understanding of diabetes (through several sources) before becoming T1 myself, and the Libre2 has been invaluable. I already knew about the LIbre system, and wanted to kiss the feet of my diabetic nurse and diabetesologist when they prescribed it for me.

It doesn't really matter what you use, it's still available to anyone regardless of the platform and earlier models of iPhones don't have the capability but it still shows on Apple

I wasn’t looking for an argument.

Just trying to share something I’ve tried and is helping me.

It’s pretty simple really.

Either you do or don’t have a phone that supports the LibreFreestyle app. iOS or android- or anything else.

The ‘free trial’ is free anyway.

There is also a #FreestyleLibre
website - one I haven’t personally checked out but other people have posted links and say it works.

A free trial doesn’t require detailed research - just typing your details into a website - and if you’re wary of sharing information - create a new ID. But the address has to be right.

What is the problem?

I wasn’t looking for an argument.

Just trying to share something I’ve tried and is helping me.

It’s pretty simple really.

Either you do or don’t have a phone that supports the LibreFreestyle app. iOS or android- or anything else.

The ‘free trial’ is free anyway.

There is also a #FreestyleLibre
website - one I haven’t personally checked out but other people have posted links and say it works.

A free trial doesn’t require detailed research - just typing your details into a website - and if you’re wary of sharing information - create a new ID. But the address has to be right.

What is the problem?
Hi, it’s more that some earlier model phones don’t have the NFC chip for scanning the Libre sensor

It is not just about supporting the app.

As others have tried to explain - you can download and play with the app on phones that don't have NFC. But without NFC you cannot use the sensor.

The trial may appear free but Abbott are not giving the sensors away out of the kindness of their heart. They have to pay for them some how which is probably through the cost of the sensors they do sell. Getting a sensor (even one) and not using it because, for example, your phone cannot scan the sensors, is a waste.

Hi, it’s more that some earlier model phones don’t have the NFC chip for scanning the Libre sensor

Which is why I’m not advising ANYONE to pay money for it. Just take up the ‘free trial’ offer and then reflect. Don’t need to use it straight away. You need to open the sensor and then apply it before it kicks in. Probably has a longish ‘use by time’

Which is why I’m not advising ANYONE to pay money for it. Just take up the ‘free trial’ offer and then reflect. Don’t need to use it straight away. You need to open the sensor and then apply it before it kicks in. Probably has a longish ‘use by time’
Any phone that runs on Apple or Android can download the app and the app will work but if the phone doesn’t have a NFC chip then the sensor won’t scan,like @helli said if someone was to get a sensor then found out it didn’t work for their phone then that’s a waste of a sensor

But yes. Of course it’s about making money for Libre. Our job is to make sure we get the best possible deal for anything we choose to subscribe to - and hold the sellers to account if we don’t?

Any phone that runs on Apple or Android can download the app and the app will work but if the phone doesn’t have a NFC chip then the sensor won’t scan,like @helli said if someone was to get a sensor then found out it didn’t work for their phone then that’s a waste of a sensor

BUT ITS FREE!!!!
It is no loss to Abbot Freestyle - they’re investing millions.
Many people will be able to use it.
Some may find their phones aren’t compatible and will put to them one side and reflect to come back later.
Others won’t bother.
But Abbot are making millions -whatever else you do - don’t have a false sense of altruism and believe you’ll be ‘wasting’ a sensor. They probably cost pennies to make.

BUT ITS FREE!!!!
It is no loss to Abbot Freestyle - they’re investing millions.
Many people will be able to use it.
Some may find their phones aren’t compatible and will put to them one side and reflect to come back later.
Others won’t bother.
But Abbot are making millions -whatever else you do - don’t have a false sense of altruism and believe you’ll be ‘wasting’ a sensor. They probably cost pennies to make.
It is a waste of money of plastic, of resources to manufacture it, of fuel to transport it and of money.

It may be a drop in the ocean for all of these things but "because it's free" is not a reason to take something you cannot use when it takes 5 minutes to check whether you have a compatible phone with NFC.

I am passionate about minimising waste in our fragile planet. One of the reasons I decided not to use Dexcom is that their applicator uses more plastic. You may think the cost to Abbott is minimal ... it may be small but it still costs them something they pass on to their customers.

We are only talking about taking the time to check your phone is usable and many people will already know if their phone has NFC. But telling them they only need Bluetooth is not helpful.

It is a waste of money of plastic, of resources to manufacture it, of fuel to transport it and of money.

It may be a drop in the ocean for all of these things but "because it's free" is not a reason to take something you cannot use when it takes 5 minutes to check whether you have a compatible phone with NFC.

I am passionate about minimising waste in our fragile planet. One of the reasons I decided not to use Dexcom is that their applicator uses more plastic. You may think the cost to Abbott is minimal ... it may be small but it still costs them something they pass on to their customers.

We are only talking about taking the time to check your phone is usable and many people will already know if their phone has NFC. But telling them they only need Bluetooth is not helpful.

Hmmm,… There are far more effective things individuals can do to impact waste and address Climate Change rather than ignore an opportunity that may have a chance of changing their lives.

Hmmm,… There are far more effective things individuals can do to impact waste and address Climate Change rather than ignore an opportunity that may have a chance of changing their lives.

Just one example.

If you store any photos / data / anything at all in ‘the cloud’ - then stop now. You will be saving a lot more CO2 output than getting a small free plastic widget.

You may have done that already but there are hundreds more examples…

The NHS will be paying by an price rise on the ones they are paying for.
Personal customers will be paying.
It's a complete waste just to get one because "it's free"
It's also a waste of plastic, and the other resources to manufacture it as said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back