Probably Type 2 - Devastated

lancets are less dangerous to dispose of than a sewing needle or broken glass so can usually go in you general rubbish (not recycling). You can use a old container to collect in and dispose of when full.
Sharps should never be disposed of in domestic waste or recycling. This is potentially hazardous to anyone who comes into contact with the waste (Diabetes UK).

@Tac0caT
Well done with your HbA1c. The back of my envelope reckons your current level, i.e. your daily level projected over 3-4 months, is around 50 or less. So keep going to get your pancreas and liver back to normal

Quite honestly a paper cut hurts far more. Getting your technique right means it won't hurt.
Bit the bullet and just did a waking test. You're right, papercuts are worse!

Reading was 5.8 - i'll take it!

Snap, exactly the same as my reading of 5.8, a couple of weeks after diagnosis at 104. I followed a real food version of the Newcastle Diet the basis of the NHS Soups & Shakes path to remission programme. Professor Roy Taylor set me on that path with his book 'Living without Diabetes Type 2". You might find it interesting to watch his PHC Conference talk last year. He explains why your BG has come down so quickly, and why you need to keep going to get your pancreas working properly again.

Hats off to you for working it all out for yourself. Shows what a bit of determination can achieve

The problem with eyesight is it can both be an indication of high blood glucose but often happens gradually so your brain accommodates to a certain point but when blood glucose drops due to change in diet and or meds then the change in the eyes is sudden and then is noticeable. It is because the environment is the eye changes from being sugary to the more normal salty and the eye shape is different. Some people it passes quite quickly for others it can be months.
Yes, I still have issues due to changes in blood glucose. I have found though it does get easier and your eyes are much better without too much blood glucose. I am glad I was reassured that it would pass and it saved me another eye test and another pair of glasses as I had previously had mine changed.

Bit the bullet and just did a waking test. You're right, papercuts are worse!

Reading was 5.8 - i'll take it!
it beats me why as I can get a small cat scratch and bleed so I moan yet these close almost immediately. I think it is because these are clean and only go in enough. I have a lancet pen and since I got that it has been so easy.

I think the NHS have a special price negotiated at £35 but I was paying £48.something when I was buying them 3 years ago and I don't think they have come down in price.
The best price I have seen online is £108 for 2. If anyone can get them for less I have a type 2 friend who would be interested.

The best price I have seen online is £108 for 2. If anyone can get them for less I have a type 2 friend who would be interested.

Abbott will sell them direct, and if you have diabetes you are exempt from VAT, so you should be able to get them for a whiff under £50 I think?

Sharps should never be disposed of in domestic waste or recycling. This is potentially hazardous to anyone who comes into contact with the waste (Diabetes UK).
When I asked the chemist they said we no longer do those containers. Phoned the council waste and they indeed told me to dispose of like normal waste. Black bin in our area. I do now have the barrel cartridge lancets and I think they are better. I do have loads of the old single-use lancets and now and again I put a few in to get rid.

I still have my first box (from 16 years ago) and these are great for removing splinters!
They are part of the Sinocare range everytime you get test strips. My accu check just supplies strips but these always come together. I
use when my accu strips run out if i cannot afford to order the next.
Oh never thought of that.

Snap, exactly the same as my reading of 5.8, a couple of weeks after diagnosis at 104. I followed a real food version of the Newcastle Diet the basis of the NHS Soups & Shakes path to remission programme. Professor Roy Taylor set me on that path with his book 'Living without Diabetes Type 2". You might find it interesting to watch his PHC Conference talk last year. He explains why your BG has come down so quickly, and why you need to keep going to get your pancreas working properly again.

Hats off to you for working it all out for yourself. Shows what a bit of determination can achieve
I will take a look at that - thank you!

So the phone call I had earlier was with the Diabetes nurse.

I have signed up to the "education" course they offer on Diabetes - I thought it couldn't hurt and I might meet local people going through the same.

I was offered metformin, but given how I've managed to get from 80 to 65 in a short space of time I have been given three months to try and get to my target of 48 or below and if not I'll go onto it.

Interestingly I was advised to not continue finger prick testing - apparently it can cause Neuropathy? and if my Diabetes was to progress to the point of needing Insulin I would need to be able to finger prick test. Has anyone else been told this?

I found out nearly 7 months after my diagnosis that my HBA1C levels was 177. I'm not sure if the nurse was being honest about it, but i remember seeing a chart/diagram that had my levels on it and when i asked her why it's off the charts, she told me there and then. Many say i'm type 1 and only 2 seem to think i'm type 2. I found out my current results today and it was 68 which was a huge surprise.

I found out nearly 7 months after my diagnosis that my HBA1C levels was 177. I'm not sure if the nurse was being honest about it, but i remember seeing a chart/diagram that had my levels on it and when i asked her why it's off the charts, she told me there and then. Many say i'm type 1 and only 2 seem to think i'm type 2. I found out my current results today and it was 68 which was a huge surprise.
Wow, how did that happen?

Good job on getting it down to 68 though!

In regards to type 2, those in the family that have diabetes are type 2 so those 2 nurses seem to think i might be. It's been 6 years and i was never able to get an awnser if i was. I can understand that the outbreak caused a lot of chaos and i was off the radar for years so i understand that it would have delayed things. But the readings they kept getting never gave them an honest awnser.

As for why my levels where so high. My mental health was rock bottom so i kind of avoided going to the GP's to get checked out. When i did go, i was never seen as it was always fully booked and they only did 2 weeks in advance. This was an issue all over the place. Eventually i got seen via the emergency appointment and i was diagnosed there and then. They didn't communicate however and i wasn't seen or spoken to about anything for months. I wasn't told how many units to take, i wasn't told about the foot checks, the food to eat, carbs etc, i wasn't told anything. It was only on the day i got my readings from my diagnosis results nearly 7 months later that i was told about how much insulin i should take as i was taking 20 units of the quick randomly without knowing how dangerous it is if i had no sourse of sugar nearby.

Now that i've moved, i'm going through another "honeymoon period" as they call it as the NHS in England haven't sent anything about me over to the NHS in Scotland. I have been told by others than even in a family of type 2, you can still be type 1. All i know is that everyone in the family that is diabetic never had HBA1C levels that high.

So the phone call I had earlier was with the Diabetes nurse.

I have signed up to the "education" course they offer on Diabetes - I thought it couldn't hurt and I might meet local people going through the same.

I was offered metformin, but given how I've managed to get from 80 to 65 in a short space of time I have been given three months to try and get to my target of 48 or below and if not I'll go onto it.

Interestingly I was advised to not continue finger prick testing - apparently it can cause Neuropathy? and if my Diabetes was to progress to the point of needing Insulin I would need to be able to finger prick test. Has anyone else been told this?
In the early days of diagnosis then finger pricking is one of the tools that will help get blood glucose down so the risk of neuropathy in my opinion would be far greater if blood glucose remained high.
Getting your technique good and not doing unnecessary testing obviously will help.
Good on you for sticking out for dietary changes.

In the early days of diagnosis then finger pricking is one of the tools that will help get blood glucose down so the risk of neuropathy in my opinion would be far greater if blood glucose remained high.
Getting your technique good and not doing unnecessary testing obviously will help.
Good on you for sticking out for dietary changes.
I like to use meds as a last resort to be honest.

So far I have only been testing when I wake up, and before/After meals.

I have just done my after Dinner test (though I did forget to test before dinner) and it is 4.2 - Should I eat something like a square of chocolate to raise this up a little (I have 85% in the cupboard)? Worried as it is very close to Hypo isn't it?

I like to use meds as a last resort to be honest.

So far I have only been testing when I wake up, and before/After meals.

I have just done my after Dinner test (though I did forget to test before dinner) and it is 4.2 - Should I eat something like a square of chocolate to raise this up a little (I have 85% in the cupboard)? Worried as it is very close to Hypo isn't it?
If you are taking no blood glucose lowering medications then your liver should respond and release some glucose which will bring it up naturally. If you are as low as that and it is typical then you could be a little more lenient with the carbs you have for dinner.
Sometimes an unusual result is worth a re-test.

Back