Probably Type 2 - Devastated

Yes, I think I will need to get out of the mindset of calorie counting then.

That will tough I think. I have spent a few years now thinking "I need to reduce fats, and restrict my calories but not too low.", but Diabetes will turn this on its head quite possibly.
I had decades, all my adult life, with added insults.
It was quite liberating to realise I was right all along.

Hi and welcome. Feeling shocked and scared after your diagnosis is totally normal, and what most people go through. As Inka says, 80 mmol/mol is not horribly high and you can look on this as an opportunity to become a healthier dad and husband.
There's lots of stuff posted online, but this Forum is really the best place to seek advice and learn - between us we have centuries of experience. The initial suggestion for newly diagnosed Type 2 is to look at lifestyle changes. Please have a look at the Learning Zone on this Forum as it will give you all the information you probably didn't take in when you were diagnosed. I suggest one module a day, starting with food and then exercise. For you, dealing with the mental aspects will probably be very helpful as well.
Reading your food diary, I see you follow a very typical modern day diet, with lots of high carb foods. It is suggested that you should aim for less than 130gm carbs per day. This does not mean NO carbs, and the reduction should be done slowly so as not to affect your eyes. So you will be best advised to get your wife on board to help you make adjustments to your meals. It will probably benefit her, and educate your children as well. The items to reduce are bread, potato, rice, pasta, cereals, some fruits, processed foods, and of course cakes, biscuits, sweets, pastries. Smaller portions, bulked up with vegetables and protein.
I've run through your quoted meal items through my app, to give you an idea of your daily carb intake. Getting an app was the first thing I did on diagnosis and is great for portion control and keeping me on the straight and narrow. You will be surprised at how high some of the items are. (Shame they taste good)

Costa Coffee Vanilla Latte - from 17gm carbs for a small with skimmed milk, to 34gm for a large with full fat milk

Sausage roll (Greggs) - 24gm carbs
Cornish Pasty - 52gm carbs

Tesco Chicken salad sandwich - 45.7gm carbs
Tesco tuna sweetcorn salad - 51gm carbs

12" pepperoni pizza - 1/8 slice 17.7gm carbs, or 71.3gm for half the pizza
Homemade lasagne - from 40.8gm carbs for a 340gm serving to 62.5gm for a 520gm serving.
2 pieces battered chicken - around 12gm carbs

This is before you take into account your drinks, vegetables, fruit, puddings, snacks.

You might like to consider having some breakfast at home - for example Greek yogurt with berries, rather than stop for a latte and pastry. Then taking in a packed lunch like a salad with boiled eggs, tuna, chicken, or a thermos of home made soup. You or your wife could make batches of healthy home made foods. I use a slow cooker and freeze portions. These are just suggestions.

Some people follow lowcarbfreshwell.com/resources/meal-planners/ which would certainly give you plenty of ideas. It is said this is a marathon not a sprint, and to take it slowly so your body adapts. Have you considered swimming? I go to the pool twice a week. But exercise can be as simple as doing more walking, joining in more with the children and their games.

You are not alone, so please ask any questions you may have, as we have all probably asked them.
Hello Felinia,
Hi and welcome. Feeling shocked and scared after your diagnosis is totally normal, and what most people go through. As Inka says, 80 mmol/mol is not horribly high and you can look on this as an opportunity to become a healthier dad and husband.
There's lots of stuff posted online, but this Forum is really the best place to seek advice and learn - between us we have centuries of experience. The initial suggestion for newly diagnosed Type 2 is to look at lifestyle changes. Please have a look at the Learning Zone on this Forum as it will give you all the information you probably didn't take in when you were diagnosed. I suggest one module a day, starting with food and then exercise. For you, dealing with the mental aspects will probably be very helpful as well.
Reading your food diary, I see you follow a very typical modern day diet, with lots of high carb foods. It is suggested that you should aim for less than 130gm carbs per day. This does not mean NO carbs, and the reduction should be done slowly so as not to affect your eyes. So you will be best advised to get your wife on board to help you make adjustments to your meals. It will probably benefit her, and educate your children as well. The items to reduce are bread, potato, rice, pasta, cereals, some fruits, processed foods, and of course cakes, biscuits, sweets, pastries. Smaller portions, bulked up with vegetables and protein.
I've run through your quoted meal items through my app, to give you an idea of your daily carb intake. Getting an app was the first thing I did on diagnosis and is great for portion control and keeping me on the straight and narrow. You will be surprised at how high some of the items are. (Shame they taste good)

Costa Coffee Vanilla Latte - from 17gm carbs for a small with skimmed milk, to 34gm for a large with full fat milk

Sausage roll (Greggs) - 24gm carbs
Cornish Pasty - 52gm carbs

Tesco Chicken salad sandwich - 45.7gm carbs
Tesco tuna sweetcorn salad - 51gm carbs

12" pepperoni pizza - 1/8 slice 17.7gm carbs, or 71.3gm for half the pizza
Homemade lasagne - from 40.8gm carbs for a 340gm serving to 62.5gm for a 520gm serving.
2 pieces battered chicken - around 12gm carbs

This is before you take into account your drinks, vegetables, fruit, puddings, snacks.

You might like to consider having some breakfast at home - for example Greek yogurt with berries, rather than stop for a latte and pastry. Then taking in a packed lunch like a salad with boiled eggs, tuna, chicken, or a thermos of home made soup. You or your wife could make batches of healthy home made foods. I use a slow cooker and freeze portions. These are just suggestions.

Some people follow lowcarbfreshwell.com/resources/meal-planners/ which would certainly give you plenty of ideas. It is said this is a marathon not a sprint, and to take it slowly so your body adapts. Have you considered swimming? I go to the pool twice a week. But exercise can be as simple as doing more walking, joining in more with the children and their games.

You are not alone, so please ask any questions you may have, as we have all probably asked them.
Felinia, hello. Could I ask you what App you use to work out your daily carbs please? I was newly diagnosed yesterday type 2. Thankyou.

I managed to see a Doctor today, and he has eased my worries somewhat. My Cholesterol is not too bad, and he assured me (as a lot of you have here) that it is very treatable and controllable through lifestyle.

I am making arrangements to finally deal with the Anxiety - which as he said would be a major benefit, stress too.

Also I weighed myself this morning - first time for 8 days. I was 101kg then, but today I weighed 98.9kg. I am going to guess that this has much to do with how little I have eaten as opposed to anything else and means nothing, but it did occur to me whether it may have actually been a symptom after all.

Hi, I'm new here and just need to write down my thoughts.

I know nobody here can offer me medical advice and that's fine.

This is more me getting things off of my chest, so accept my apologies for it being long.

My doctors sent me a text yesterday that I might have type 2 diabetes following a blood test last week.
My Hba1c came out at 80mmol/mol.
I've been booked in for another blood test on 26th so that they can compare and I guess give a confirmed diagnosis.

I am devastated to be honest. I suffer with health anxiety, and just knowing that I likely have a condition that has a lot of possible side effects has got my anxiety working overtime.

I haven't really eaten since I found out yesterday either, because I just don't know what to eat now and don't want to make matters worse.

I am just so scared.

What kick started all of this was in January my anxiety started from nowhere and I had been getting chest pains, arm pains and I had an elevated heart rate. A&E checked me over and gave me the all clear, and told me it was just anxiety.
My doctor told me the same in February too.

Since then I've just lived with the pains, but then last week I started to get them in my legs in random places, which prompted me to reach out to my doctor and they ordered the blood tests.

I guess because of the above I'm worried that my Hba1c is massively high and all that extra glucose swimming around my veins and arteries is what is causing all of these pains and I am in fact in a worse condition than just Diabetes.
I do not want to go to an early grave, I want to see my children grow up, and be there for them and my wife.

I've been watching videos on YouTube to try and navigate my way through all of this, but my head is scrambled.
Some people say "You need to ditch carbs, and eat protein and fats" whilst others say "Protein will cause a spike 4-5 hours later and will cause x,y and z".

Another thing that's bothering me is that I don't even have any of the symptoms other than this blood test - Maybe I'm wrong.

A usual one is peeing a lot, I go maybe twice at work, and then maybe 4 times from when I get home until the next morning but I do consciously try and drink a lot of water, but not because I feel thirsty, I've been trying to lose weight.

I do feel tired, but I don't think I feel more tired than usual and I work a fairly stressful job, and I do do some evening work too.

I have lost weight, but as above I've been in a calorie deficit, I don't have any itching, my wounds heal fine and I haven't had any blurred vision.

I just don't know what to do to make any of this better. I feel very low and I'm not much fun to be around right now, which is obviously having an impact on my wife and kids.

Thanks,

Tac0caT
I'm also newly diagnosed, just end of May. My initial Hb1Ac was 88 and i did have blurring vision on top of feeling rough, the peeing, etc.
This forum has been very helpful and the learning zone has really helped. The recipe finder was really what i used the most. I was on gliclazide for a month then another Hb1Ac was taken and it has gone down to 71. I'm on Metformin now and I did get the free Libre CGM just to know how my sugars were after I eat. It also helped with my anxiety when going to the gym (was afraid of passing out). I work in a stressful environment too so I have little pick-me-up snacks around just in case my sugars drop.
I still have a long way to drop my Hb1Ac and my next check is on September. So far, I kept on purchasing the Libre as it helps with motivation and ease my anxiety. It's encouraging to see that since I started on metformin (and the libre) my estimated Hb1Ac is about 44... its not impossible and hopeless... walks help, even just a 30min one keeps my sugars low... ‍♀️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718_173608.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_173608.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 1
The problem with eyesight is it can both be an indication of high blood glucose but often happens gradually so your brain accommodates to a certain point but when blood glucose drops due to change in diet and or meds then the change in the eyes is sudden and then is noticeable. It is because the environment is the eye changes from being sugary to the more normal salty and the eye shape is different. Some people it passes quite quickly for others it can be months.

I'm also newly diagnosed, just end of May. My initial Hb1Ac was 88 and i did have blurring vision on top of feeling rough, the peeing, etc.
This forum has been very helpful and the learning zone has really helped. The recipe finder was really what i used the most. I was on gliclazide for a month then another Hb1Ac was taken and it has gone down to 71. I'm on Metformin now and I did get the free Libre CGM just to know how my sugars were after I eat. It also helped with my anxiety when going to the gym (was afraid of passing out). I work in a stressful environment too so I have little pick-me-up snacks around just in case my sugars drop.
I still have a long way to drop my Hb1Ac and my next check is on September. So far, I kept on purchasing the Libre as it helps with motivation and ease my anxiety. It's encouraging to see that since I started on metformin (and the libre) my estimated Hb1Ac is about 44... its not impossible and hopeless... walks help, even just a 30min one keeps my sugars low... ‍♀️
Well done on getting hba1c down - that's positive and that's in just 6ish weeks too? Fingers crossed your estimated is correct too!.

I have seen those Libre things before actually.

Is it noticeable? Like are you aware there is a needle in your arm at all times, or does it get in the way like if you roll over in bed? Is it available on NHS?

In terms of walking I have been nipping out for 10 minute walks or until I hit 1000 steps, after breakfast, lunch and tea and when I can sneak them in. I am a little behind today though as I had appointment and meetings.

Well done on getting hba1c down - that's positive and that's in just 6ish weeks too? Fingers crossed your estimated is correct too!.

I have seen those Libre things before actually.

Is it noticeable? Like are you aware there is a needle in your arm at all times, or does it get in the way like if you roll over in bed? Is it available on NHS?

In terms of walking I have been nipping out for 10 minute walks or until I hit 1000 steps, after breakfast, lunch and tea and when I can sneak them in. I am a little behind today though as I had appointment and meetings.
Thanks! Yeah, its about 35 days since the metformin but I didn't have it when i was on gliclazide and that time my usual levels were about 8-9 and spikes to 14 when I eat. Learned to take just 1 toast in a meal, changed my bread to wholemeal, mostly on protein now and use side dishes for carbs (for me, easier to keep it down that way). Protein tends to bridge me to my next meal so nuts are the snack of choice. The cgm does tend to read wrong when you lie down on the arm that has it. (I'm a side-sleeper).
I really don't notice that the CGM is there until i bump it into a closing door or something. From what I understand, unless you are on insulin, its not available thru the nhs so i have been paying for it. Trying to wean from my dependency on it since my sugars seem to be stabilizing between 5-6 now and spikes to 9-ish when i eat carbs. I mean the guidance is check after 2 hours of the first bite and if i didn't have the cgm i wouldn't have known about the spike cause it does go down after 2 hours or so.
When i make a mistake and go double digits, time for a walk.

Thanks! Yeah, its about 35 days since the metformin but I didn't have it when i was on gliclazide and that time my usual levels were about 8-9 and spikes to 14 when I eat. Learned to take just 1 toast in a meal, changed my bread to wholemeal, mostly on protein now and use side dishes for carbs (for me, easier to keep it down that way). Protein tends to bridge me to my next meal so nuts are the snack of choice. The cgm does tend to read wrong when you lie down on the arm that has it. (I'm a side-sleeper).
I really don't notice that the CGM is there until i bump it into a closing door or something. From what I understand, unless you are on insulin, its not available thru the nhs so i have been paying for it. Trying to wean from my dependency on it since my sugars seem to be stabilizing between 5-6 now and spikes to 9-ish when i eat carbs. I mean the guidance is check after 2 hours of the first bite and if i didn't have the cgm i wouldn't have known about the spike cause it does go down after 2 hours or so.
When i make a mistake and go double digits, time for a walk.
I'll have to have a look at those in detail, they seem quite handy and must give you a lot of reassurance seeing it in real time. Are they massively expensive?

I'll have to have a look at those in detail, they seem quite handy and must give you a lot of reassurance seeing it in real time. Are they massively expensive?
Freestyle Libre 2 are about £50 per sensor which lasts 2 weeks, but Abbott who make them, do a free trial of one sensor ie 14 days. You need to have a compatible smart phone and have a diabetes diagnosis to qualify for the free trial.
Beware..... they are quite fascinating and addictive!!

The sensors are £40 each and last 14 days, you also need a compatible phone. But they also have limitations which you should be aware of and really also need finger pricking testing kit as well.
You can get a free 14 day trial from Abbott

Freestyle Libre 2 are about £50 per sensor which lasts 2 weeks, but Abbott who make them, do a free trial of one sensor ie 14 days. You need to have a compatible smart phone and have a diabetes diagnosis to qualify for the free trial.
Beware..... they are quite fascinating and addictive!!
OMG. you are faster than me. I was optimistic on the price.

I think the NHS have a special price negotiated at £35 but I was paying £48.something when I was buying them 3 years ago and I don't think they have come down in price.

I agree with the addicting part. I used to look at it all the time. Before i got it, i used to do fingerpricks when i felt hungry/dizzy/etc. cause i was just too anxious. I couldn't trust my instincts. Even at high sugars, i had hunger pangs. The Libre took the guess work out of that. There are limitations. Because it tests the interstitial (around the cells) fluid instead of blood, it lags about 15-20mins. Or if you lie down on it, it reads low. That's why you should still have a blood glucose test kit with you. I tend to rely on it for trends.
Initially, below 10, i felt hungry. It gradually went down to about 6 now. Anything below 6, i get hungry so i bring out the test kit.
Its helpful with exercise, i know which activities bring me down and if I need to eat more or (i know its bad) have a small treat since i'm running low.

Hello Felinia,

Felinia, hello. Could I ask you what App you use to work out your daily carbs please? I was newly diagnosed yesterday type 2. Thankyou.
Hi and welcome. I use NutraCheck, both the app and website. I've just renewed my membership for the year, at the cost of around £29, so not very expensive. I like it because it is UK based, with UK foods in the database. I think you can still get a free trial, or the ability to cancel within a period if you don't like it. It was the first thing I did when diagnosed 5 years ago, along with getting a finger prick monitor.
Anyway, welcome to the club. We are a friendly bunch with centuries of managing diabetes, and happy to offer suggestions and answer any queries. We can't give medical advice but can relate to our own experiences. So fire away with any questions - nothing is silly (I probably asked them myself).

Hi and welcome. I use NutraCheck, both the app and website. I've just renewed my membership for the year, at the cost of around £29, so not very expensive. I like it because it is UK based, with UK foods in the database. I think you can still get a free trial, or the ability to cancel within a period if you don't like it. It was the first thing I did when diagnosed 5 years ago, along with getting a finger prick monitor.
Anyway, welcome to the club. We are a friendly bunch with centuries of managing diabetes, and happy to offer suggestions and answer any queries. We can't give medical advice but can relate to our own experiences. So fire away with any questions - nothing is silly (I probably asked them myself).
Again, many thanks. I will have a look at this.

The last few days have not been too bad, I have been using recipes from the freshwell diet, and some ideas from here.

Just cooked up the "Bens Chilli Con Carne" from Freshwell and divided it into 4 servings, had mine with cauliflower rice and I am absolutely stuffed despite not being able to finish it! First time in about a week that I have felt like that.

I have also been enjoying the Basic salad and Basic salad dressing and adding my own proteins. Yesterday was Ham from the bone, today was tuna.

Also - @Felinia those Turkey rashers from your picture you posted are delicious and were something I didn't even consider before, so thank you for sharing!

I am still struggling with seeing how much fat I am eating though, after years of trying to avoid it! Today I have eaten 1224 Calories, consisting of 59g Carbs, 107g fat and 87g Protein. The fats are mostly from Extra virgin Olive Oil, and the ground almonds I used to make the Freshwell mug muffin for breakfast.

I have been going and doing 1000+/- steps after each meal, and I am going to aim for 8k steps a day going forward.
The last walk I did today I did not feel anxiety about my heart rate, despite it being 120+. I would usually be able to feel that and panic - so that too is positive.

I plan to start doing some weight training or using resistance bands too if I can maintain the zero panic with heart rate, but one step at a time for now.

I have also ordered a BGM. I opted for the Contour Plus Blue.
In regards to monitoring my BG, what is the general rule of thumb? Is it test upon waking, at the first bite of a meal and then 2 hours after?

The last few days have not been too bad, I have been using recipes from the freshwell diet, and some ideas from here.

Just cooked up the "Bens Chilli Con Carne" from Freshwell and divided it into 4 servings, had mine with cauliflower rice and I am absolutely stuffed despite not being able to finish it! First time in about a week that I have felt like that.

I have also been enjoying the Basic salad and Basic salad dressing and adding my own proteins. Yesterday was Ham from the bone, today was tuna.

Also - @Felinia those Turkey rashers from your picture you posted are delicious and were something I didn't even consider before, so thank you for sharing!

I am still struggling with seeing how much fat I am eating though, after years of trying to avoid it! Today I have eaten 1224 Calories, consisting of 59g Carbs, 107g fat and 87g Protein. The fats are mostly from Extra virgin Olive Oil, and the ground almonds I used to make the Freshwell mug muffin for breakfast.

I have been going and doing 1000+/- steps after each meal, and I am going to aim for 8k steps a day going forward.
The last walk I did today I did not feel anxiety about my heart rate, despite it being 120+. I would usually be able to feel that and panic - so that too is positive.

I plan to start doing some weight training or using resistance bands too if I can maintain the zero panic with heart rate, but one step at a time for now.

I have also ordered a BGM. I opted for the Contour Plus Blue.
In regards to monitoring my BG, what is the general rule of thumb? Is it test upon waking, at the first bite of a meal and then 2 hours after?
Well done for making those changes, you will soon get the hang of it, if you are low on carbs which you are then don't worry too much about the fat especially if it is what is considered healthy fat.
Spot on with the testing, I would test just before you eat so as not to be phaffing about when actually eating and then after 2 hours and of course if you feel unwell it is a good idea to test. You will soon establish a repertoire of meals which you know are ok and no need to test those again.

Well done for making those changes, you will soon get the hang of it, if you are low on carbs which you are then don't worry too much about the fat especially if it is what is considered healthy fat.
Spot on with the testing, I would test just before you eat so as not to be phaffing about when actually eating and then after 2 hours and of course if you feel unwell it is a good idea to test. You will soon establish a repertoire of meals which you know are ok and no need to test those again.
Thanks, these changes have been needed for a while, I just wish I had made them under different circumstances.

Testing just before eating sounds like a good plan, wouldn't want to put the family off of their food either :rofl:

In terms of feeling unwell - Is there anything specifically I should look out for?

Back