Probably Type 2 - Devastated

If you are taking no blood glucose lowering medications then your liver should respond and release some glucose which will bring it up naturally. If you are as low as that and it is typical then you could be a little more lenient with the carbs you have for dinner.
Sometimes an unusual result is worth a re-test.
Just did a re-test and it was 4.3

It is only my second day testing, but today is lower than yesterdays results.

This particular test though I have not long been back from a 25 min walk so maybe that lowered it a little?

Just did a re-test and it was 4.3

It is only my second day testing, but today is lower than yesterdays results.

This particular test though I have not long been back from a 25 min walk so maybe that lowered it a little?
To gain useful information about how you tolerate meals then keeping you testing regime consistent is better so test at the 2 hour post meal but if one day you go for a walk and another you don't, you introduce another variable.
What did you have and how long after you ate did you test.

To gain useful information about how you tolerate meals then keeping you testing regime consistent is better so test at the 2 hour post meal but if one day you go for a walk and another you don't, you introduce another variable.
What did you have and how long after you ate did you test.
So I go for a walk 3 times a day, when I get up, after lunch and after dinner.

The walk is within 90 mins of finishing the meal.

I have been testing at the 2 hour mark, but this evening I tested about 2.5 hours after the first bite.
Would that 30 mins have made that much of a difference do you think?

So I go for a walk 3 times a day, when I get up, after lunch and after dinner.

The walk is within 90 mins of finishing the meal.

I have been testing at the 2 hour mark, but this evening I tested about 2.5 hours after the first bite.
Would that 30 mins have made that much of a difference do you think?
It could do depending on what you ate.

It could do depending on what you ate.
I had 3 egg omelette, 30g Mozzarella, 15g Pizza sauce, 4 slices Pepperoni and 25g of olives.

712 Cals, 2g Carbs, 64g Fat, 32g Protein

I had 3 egg omelette, 30g Mozzarella, 15g Pizza sauce, 4 slices Pepperoni and 25g of olives.

712 Cals, 2g Carbs, 64g Fat, 32g Protein
No not any carbs to speak of so not unexpected it was as low as it was. Just be careful of lowering carbs too quickly as if you blood glucose drops quickly you can get issues with your eyes and nerves.
I reduced my carbs to 70g per day i one go and after a few weeks my eyes were all over the place, could focus properly, for me it lasted several months.
Low carb regime is not NO carbs.

No not any carbs to speak of so not unexpected it was as low as it was. Just be careful of lowering carbs too quickly as if you blood glucose drops quickly you can get issues with your eyes and nerves.
I reduced my carbs to 70g per day i one go and after a few weeks my eyes were all over the place, could focus properly, for me it lasted several months.
Low carb regime is not NO carbs.
Forgot to reply to this - I am going to make a conscious effort to eat a few more carbs for the rest of the week just to see what my readings are and how I feel overall and go from there.

I like to use meds as a last resort to be honest.

So far I have only been testing when I wake up, and before/After meals.

I have just done my after Dinner test (though I did forget to test before dinner) and it is 4.2 - Should I eat something like a square of chocolate to raise this up a little (I have 85% in the cupboard)? Worried as it is very close to Hypo isn't it?

Don't worry about it.
Mine goes down into 3s quite often after exercise, and especially with exercise after eating carbs (Um, last night it was a Magnum Ice cream and a walk.)
It comes back up naturally. I find 10-15 minutes can see low levels return to normal.

I have been experimenting with eating more carbs for the last week - generally 30-50g per day which is more than what I was on.

My levels are up - 7 day average is 6.1 - but this is a good level still no?

I did also see a bit of weirdness yesterday morning. Waking level was 6.7, I went for my morning walk came back and made breakfast (90 mins from waking test), I tested before my breakfast and my level had shot up to 7.6.
The previous night I did have 2 slices of no added sugar wholemeal bread with cheese for tea, but surely if that was the culprit it would have been visible on the after tea test and the waking test, not after 3 hours of being awake?

I have also seen this site - https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/tools/hba1c-calculator - it gives an estimate of what your HBA1C could be based on your average BG levels. Anyone used this before? Apparently my 90 day average of 5.9 gives me a hba1c of 34.6 - I won't read too much into that, but if this can be used as a "guideline" of roughly where my hba1c might be it would come in useful.

Yes, there are various tables and calculators to convert the numbers. An Australian study showed HbA1c numbers were all over the place compared with FBG and vice versa. That's why it's a good idea to get body back to normal and your HbA1c into the mid 30s if you can. In the end it's the size of your jeans that matters.

The finger prick test measures something different from the HbA1C and although there may be a relationship between the two i.e. the higher the HbA1C is the higher finger prick tests are likely to be beyond that it is not a good predictor for many people.
Averages will hide variations which is why scientific data should have error bars whenever averages are quoted. The average of 10, 7 and 4 is 7 but so is 8, 7, 6.
Exercise or even gentle activity without food will often increase blood glucose as the liver releases glucose to provide energy for your organs to function in the absence of food, that can happen in some people as soon as they set foot out of bed. Referred to as Foot on the Floor Syndrome or Dawn Phenomenon depending on when it happens.
Morning readings can be the highest of the day due to that.

Hi All,

Just thought I would post an update - I am still on track and keeping on top of things as best I can.

Average readings (90 day) are 6.5, and my weight is down a whopping 10.8kg since diagnosis and weighed in this morning at 89.9kg (14 Stone) BMI is a healthy 24.3 and my waist size has shrunk considerably down to a 38 from a 42 - so hoping to see some decent progress at my next Hba1c test - in my mind I have challenged myself to be <42 by Xmas.

IF I can achieve that goal I will allow myself to have a very small slither of birthday cake on my birthday on the 29th December.

For Xmas itself I have decided I will let myself have a proper Xmas dinner, but will have very small portions of what I am not supposed to eat. (My wife makes amazing roast potatoes and I have missed them SO much!).

I have my first Diabetic eye test at the beginning of October and have been told to bring some shades with me - so that will be an experience I am sure, and I never turn down an opportunity to wear my Hank Marvin style shades!

I was just reading my initial post here, and I remember how I felt writing it and I basically just poured my heart out into that post. All of your responses and support has helped me a lot and I am so very grateful for all of you - I am in a much better state of mind because of you, so thank you.

Average readings (90 day) are 6.5, and my weight is down a whopping 10.8kg since diagnosis and weighed in this morning at 89.9kg (14 Stone) BMI is a healthy 24.3 and my waist size has shrunk considerably down to a 38 from a 42 - so hoping to see some decent progress at my next Hba1c test - in my mind I have challenged myself to be <42 by Xmas.

Sounds really positive @Tac0caT

And I’m so glad you found replies and responses on the forum so helpful and encouraging.

Fingers crossed you’ll get confirmation of the great progress you have been making at your next HbA1c. Losing that weight, and dropping waist size are very good signs. hopefully it means you’ve been clearing out some visceral fat around your organs, which will help them work more efficiently.

Hope the eye screening goes well. You’ll need to get a lift back, as you can’t drive for several hours after the drops.

Sounds really positive @Tac0caT

And I’m so glad you found replies and responses on the forum so helpful and encouraging.

Fingers crossed you’ll get confirmation of the great progress you have been making at your next HbA1c. Losing that weight, and dropping waist size are very good signs. hopefully it means you’ve been clearing out some visceral fat around your organs, which will help them work more efficiently.

Hope the eye screening goes well. You’ll need to get a lift back, as you can’t drive for several hours after the drops.
Thank you, and fingers crossed!

Luckily the test is round the corner from my workplace, so I can either walk or get my colleague to pick me up.

Hi, I am new to these forums and currently awaiting a diagnosis. I honestly could have written much of your original post myself. I feel so inspired by your most recent update though. You are doing amazing

Welcome. I had potential signs of diabetes numbness in toes some nights and recently lots of peeing. I should have gone to the doctor but thought my yearly blood test as I have high blood pressure included a diabetes test and in all honesty I was scared of knowing. I was called in June as my cholesterol had crept up asked about diabetes and they agreed to test and I discovered they hadn't been testing me. For the next fortnight I cut meat and pastry bread and sweets. I like food and need to lose weight and often checked salt calories and fat. Now I check carbs and there are some surprises. My first reading was 69 which shocked me. I suspected I was diabetic but thought it would be lower. It was obvious to me with 69 and symptoms I was diabetic but protocol meant another test four weeks later. I decided to lower carbs. I have reintroduced chicken but until cholesterol sorted I am not eating red or processed meat. Many here enjoy steak etc. Second test was 64 and I was disappointed it wasn't lower.

I discovered this forum and phoned them and spoke to someone and was sent leaflets.
After an uninspiring interview with a diabetes nurse I joined the forum. It will help you so much practically and emotionally. I see someone has posted the freshwell link. I still feel stressed and haven't assimilated everything, however there is a good infographic which includes some items as a lay person you wouldn't flag as a problem. Try making sensible adjustments whilst you get used to everything. I don't take sugar in drinks or cereal but it is an obvious win to reduce and hopefully eventually stop it.
I have not stopped eating bread. If I go to local cafes there is little on offer without bread potatoes pastries. I've always refused crisps. I don't have a working freezer if you do you can easily buy bags or sachets of frozen veg so you could start with small amounts. If I buy bread which I do rarely I buy robust rye from M and S as I don't love it like granary and have it with smoked Salmon and cream cheese as an open sandwich ie one slice. Don't forget eggs. An omelette or poached egg is good.
I started metformin last month and start a new med tomorrow.
The positives I am losing about a kilo a week which is very welcome, I am moving more, simple things like a ten minute walk after eating.
My latest reading is 58. I am under no illusions that as the first test was after I had already moderated my diet I was probably nearer to your numbers.
Don't try to change everything, take it slowly. Don't try eating lots of things you hate you will cheat but do try new things. There is a huge variety of veg you will never like it all.
Be kind to yourself and welcome help and encouragement. There are some very inspiring tales here. Be pleased it has been discovered and treated.
Ask and ask again here someone will come up with a great answer.

Oops I read your first post and didn't realise that you have subsequently sorted yourself so well. Your diagnosis of 65 was the same time I was told 64. Your effort makes me look not sufficiently motivated. I have gone from 88 to 79 kilos in ten weeks which I am pleased about. Now I need to plan more and exercise more.
I'll enjoy watching your progress.

Oops I read your first post and didn't realise that you have subsequently sorted yourself so well. Your diagnosis of 65 was the same time I was told 64. Your effort makes me look not sufficiently motivated. I have gone from 88 to 79 kilos in ten weeks which I am pleased about. Now I need to plan more and exercise more.
I'll enjoy watching your progress.
Thank you, all progress is progress and we all have different approaches to this. You have done extremely well too from what you have said!

To be fair - I have been very aggressive with my diet and have basically been eating a Keto diet and only really having < 30g carbs a day by using Keto Breads and wraps but these are expensive for what they are, plus with my diet being mostly proteins and fats I feel fuller for longer and am only really consuming around 1200 calories a day but am never hungry.

Assuming I get a good Hba1c reading and I hit my weight goal, the next challenge is going to be finding a maintenance calorie level I think.

Last edited:
I am keeping carbs low but not that low between 100 and 130. However tomorrow I start taking an SGLT2 and I have all the warnings about ketosis so am going to write down my carbs so I don't go too low. I have been doing it a bit casually and with metformin a number of times I couldn't face supper so carbs dipped to 70 ish. I have keto test strips for if there is a panic.
Good luck again

and good luck to you too. 🙂

Back