Probably Type 2 - Devastated

Thanks, these changes have been needed for a while, I just wish I had made them under different circumstances.

Testing just before eating sounds like a good plan, wouldn't want to put the family off of their food either :rofl:

In terms of feeling unwell - Is there anything specifically I should look out for?
Light headed, dizzy, headache, nausea. Often when people cut their carbs drastically they can feel a bit 'off' it can be due to dehydration as people can lose fluids when they go low carb so make sure you stay well hydrated. If blood glucose drops quickly then people can get 'false hypos' as their body has to adapt to lower blood glucose than it has been used to. It will soon do that so stick with it.
When I started testing meals the one shock I had was a meal when I had a small portion of pasta (never now eat normal pasta) and had pancakes. I now have pasta made with black beans or edamame beans.

Light headed, dizzy, headache, nausea. Often when people cut their carbs drastically they can feel a bit 'off' it can be due to dehydration as people can lose fluids when they go low carb so make sure you stay well hydrated. If blood glucose drops quickly then people can get 'false hypos' as their body has to adapt to lower blood glucose than it has been used to. It will soon do that so stick with it.
When I started testing meals the one shock I had was a meal when I had a small portion of pasta (never now eat normal pasta) and had pancakes. I now have pasta made with black beans or edamame beans.
Thank you.

I am feeling a bit foggy upstairs, but as you say this is quite a radical change.

I have been drinking water exclusively whilst I figure out what drinks I can have, so hopefully no danger of dehydration for me.

It is going to be interesting to see how my body reacts to different foods, I will need to get a little log book so that I can keep track of them all for quick reference.

Interestingly, I reached out to my paternal grandparents today as they are both T2, and my Grandfather told me that my (very absent) father also has T2.
So this has given me more food for thought and what that means for my 3 children in terms of it possibly being hereditary.

Thank you.

I am feeling a bit foggy upstairs, but as you say this is quite a radical change.

I have been drinking water exclusively whilst I figure out what drinks I can have, so hopefully no danger of dehydration for me.

It is going to be interesting to see how my body reacts to different foods, I will need to get a little log book so that I can keep track of them all for quick reference.

Interestingly, I reached out to my paternal grandparents today as they are both T2, and my Grandfather told me that my (very absent) father also has T2.
So this has given me more food for thought and what that means for my 3 children in terms of it possibly being hereditary.
You can have a variety of drinks, tea, coffee, diet drinks, sparkling water, dry wines, spirits with diet mixers.
If you think there is a risk for your children then make sure there is a sensible eating plan for the whole family.

I drink decaf coffee, peppermint tea, still and sparkling water. I keep my daily food diary via an app with website. I use NutraCheck, and there is also MyFitnessPal. Saves me writing down everything and working out the carbs and cals!!

Just an update - I am still hitting and overachieving on my steps, still eating very low carb.

I am hoping my BGM arrives today so that I can get started on that.

It also occurred to me yesterday that the arm, chest and leg pain has pretty much disappeared. I am amazed to be honest.

I have also been scouring the rest of the forum and are seeing things that I thought I wouldn't be able to eat being recommended which makes me happy (Hummus, Peanut butter, Sparkling flavoured water, etc).

I have also been thinking ahead to Xmas, as I know this will be difficult for me due to my love for mince pies and over indulging at that time in general.
Seeing some lovely looking low carb recipes on Youtube that I am going to try this year.

Just an update - I am still hitting and overachieving on my steps, still eating very low carb.

It also occurred to me yesterday that the arm, chest and leg pain has pretty much disappeared. I am amazed to be honest.

I have also been scouring the rest of the forum and are seeing things that I thought I wouldn't be able to eat being recommended which makes me happy (Hummus, Peanut butter, Sparkling flavoured water, etc).

I have also been thinking ahead to Xmas, as I know this will be difficult for me due to my love for mince pies and over indulging at that time in general.
Seeing some lovely looking low carb recipes on Youtube that I am going to try this year.
Just read through this, and good to hear that you are feeling more positive.

Your comments about not eating because you just didn't know what to eat resonates with me. I've invested in the dexcom and it's been invaluable in learning what I can and can't eat, which is basically nothing in my case! I only have to sniff the bakery as I walk past and I'm in double figures!

I also totally get your initial desire to prove it wrong, I think that's normal.

Glad you found walking, I was going to suggest that as your HR might not get as high as it might with other exercise.

It's good to read this forum, people have been great in their responses to me, despite me not really commenting much on other people's posts (nothing to give yet!), I have learnt lots. But some posts might feel overwhelming, if that happens remember to come away from it.

Just read through this, and good to hear that you are feeling more positive.

Your comments about not eating because you just didn't know what to eat resonates with me. I've invested in the dexcom and it's been invaluable in learning what I can and can't eat, which is basically nothing in my case! I only have to sniff the bakery as I walk past and I'm in double figures!

I also totally get your initial desire to prove it wrong, I think that's normal.

Glad you found walking, I was going to suggest that as your HR might not get as high as it might with other exercise.

It's good to read this forum, people have been great in their responses to me, despite me not really commenting much on other people's posts (nothing to give yet!), I have learnt lots. But some posts might feel overwhelming, if that happens remember to come away from it.
Plenty you can eat other than stuff from the bakery. Plenty of ideas in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

So I have now had my diagnosis confirmed from my blood test yesterday.

I am happy though - the first test was 80 mmol/mol.

Yesterdays test was 65 mmol/mol!

I don't know if that's a massive drop over two weeks or not, but I am happy with that and to me is a clear sign I am doing the right things.

So I have now had my diagnosis confirmed from my blood test yesterday.

I am happy though - the first test was 80 mmol/mol.

Yesterdays test was 65 mmol/mol!

I don't know if that's a massive drop over two weeks or not, but I am happy with that and to me is a clear sign I am doing the right things.
That is a promising result so well done. If you imagine the test is covering a period of 12 weeks then for every week since the original test a week drops off the start. There is apparently an algorithm which weights the result towards the recent weeks. I will only be after 3 months of changes that the test will reflect the effect of diet and/or meds.

That is a promising result so well done. If you imagine the test is covering a period of 12 weeks then for every week since the original test a week drops off the start. There is apparently an algorithm which weights the result towards the recent weeks. I will only be after 3 months of changes that the test will reflect the effect of diet and/or meds.
So if I understand this correctly, technically the changes I have made had no bearing over the result, and I will see any positives (or negatives) at my next one?

Well done!
Hba1c is a loaded average with the last two weeks contributing more to the result than the rest of the the time in the last three, so this is a good result! It shows your changes are working.

So if I understand this correctly, technically the changes I have made had no bearing over the result, and I will see any positives (or negatives) at my next one?
Absolutely they will have a bearing, otherwise it would have been the same or even higher.

That is great news then, thanks both!

I have been booked in for a telephone appointment on Monday - I am hoping that isn't my Diabetes nurse appointment as I was rather hoping it would be face to face.

Are they usually over the phone?

That is great news then, thanks both!

I have been booked in for a telephone appointment on Monday - I am hoping that isn't my Diabetes nurse appointment as I was rather hoping it would be face to face.

Are they usually over the phone?
Can be, depends on your surgery, the phone appointment often acts as a triage system. Make sure you have a list of questions and if you are not happy with the outcome request a face to face.

Can be, depends on your surgery, the phone appointment often acts as a triage system. Make sure you have a list of questions and if you are not happy with the outcome request a face to face.
Will do, thank you.

I will ask for a face to face anyhow, I need a sharps box to do my testing and I also need someone to go through Lancet use with me as I don't want to do myself any damage with it :rofl:

Will do, thank you.

I will ask for a face to face anyhow, I need a sharps box to do my testing and I also need someone to go through Lancet use with me as I don't want to do myself any damage with it :rofl:
Check you have the means to dispose of the sharps box if you really think you need one, the lancets are less dangerous to dispose of than a sewing needle or broken glass so can usually go in you general rubbish (not recycling). You can use a old container to collect in and dispose of when full.
There are plenty of Y Tube videos on finger pricking technique.

You could try mince pie trifle - it involves whisking mincemeat into gelatine or sugar free jelly, or you could do mincemeat cheesecake with a base of ground almonds coconut flour, milled seeds or sunflower seeds or whatever rather than the biscuit, then mincemeat in real custard on the top.
I make little 'cups' with a chocolate base plus a little coconut then slivered almonds and a bit more chocolate to glue everything together. I have been known to put a 1/4 glace cherry on the top of some. Sweet making suppliers can provide the waxed paper inserts and the holders.
The ploy is to dilute down the carbs and increase the bulk of the food item so what might have been easy to eat in one go becomes half a dozen servings at least.
Having been eating low carb for a while now I seem to have emptied out the glucose storage systems so if I do eat a little more at times it appears to have little effect - it does have to be a little while though, but it seems it can be done.

You could try mince pie trifle - it involves whisking mincemeat into gelatine or sugar free jelly, or you could do mincemeat cheesecake with a base of ground almonds coconut flour, milled seeds or sunflower seeds or whatever rather than the biscuit, then mincemeat in real custard on the top.
I make little 'cups' with a chocolate base plus a little coconut then slivered almonds and a bit more chocolate to glue everything together. I have been known to put a 1/4 glace cherry on the top of some. Sweet making suppliers can provide the waxed paper inserts and the holders.
The ploy is to dilute down the carbs and increase the bulk of the food item so what might have been easy to eat in one go becomes half a dozen servings at least.
Having been eating low carb for a while now I seem to have emptied out the glucose storage systems so if I do eat a little more at times it appears to have little effect - it does have to be a little while though, but it seems it can be done.
I will take this on board, thank you!

Check you have the means to dispose of the sharps box if you really think you need one, the lancets are less dangerous to dispose of than a sewing needle or broken glass so can usually go in you general rubbish (not recycling). You can use a old container to collect in and dispose of when full.
There are plenty of Y Tube videos on finger pricking technique.
I'll take a look, I'm a bit of wimp but I will have to get over that!

Back