NHS Shake and Soup Diet

I guess some folks are not hungry the same as some folks are hungry.
Like Frank Skinner. He can't be bothered to eat at all. I wish! He said he'd rather there was some kind of drip feed he could have so he wouldn't have to bother. o_O

I had a look at it but it seemed rather extreme to me. Instead I tried cutting out snacks and a lot of carbs, and eating three meals a day in an 8 hour widow. I lost 2 lbs per week for a few months, then slowed down, but eventually my fasting blood sugar came down to normal without medication. I was never particularly hungry! I then stopped the calorie restriction by increasing fat and protein, and my weight did not rebound.
So, the NHS diet is not the only way, and I don't think it is the best, at least not for me.

Yes it’s good to have options.

There is evidence that this can work (and perhaps for people who haven’t had success with other methods?), but you are absolutely right - you need to find a strategy that works for you, and gives you the results you are looking for. 🙂

I've not done the course but I have done 2 Diabetes type 2 educational courses (NHS+) a few years ago, in both of those courses it explained how liquid food metabolises more quickly which can convert carbs very quickly in the blood stream to glucose, ok to have smoothie occasionally as well as liquidised soups but I understood best not to have daily.

I don't know if the info on my courses is the same today, so it may be worth checking with the diabetic clinic at the hospital, or helpline at DUK.

Of course you could just try it and see how your blood glucose levels behave and if levels get too high you can then choose to discontinue, who knows you may find you are ok on it.

You may know what your daily average is before you start so can keep an eye on things.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

The NHS pay for it then? I'm going to ask. They did once offer me bariatric but I felt it was too late for me. Also they gave me the Slimmers World but I wasted it and didn't have any faith in that as the lecturer was Type 2 and it wasn't good for her, made her levels go up. Do you just ask at the docs?
Yes - it's completely free incl the shakes & fibre supplement. They also lend you accurate scales & blood sugar monitor to use weekly plus a BP machine if you don't have one.
I'm only on week 2 but happy so far - great support via the app

Yes - it's completely free incl the shakes & fibre supplement. They also lend you accurate scales & blood sugar monitor to use weekly plus a BP machine if you don't have one.
I'm only on week 2 but happy so far - great support via the app
Not available everywhere it is depending on where you live.

Not available everywhere it is depending on where you live.
They're rolling it out throughout the UK so keep an eye out - I'm in Herefordshire which has only just been added together with Worcestershire

Apparently it's only being piloted n Wales, so not available there yet if you're not invited to join a pilot. Let's hope NHS Wales catches up soon!

Apparently it's only being piloted n Wales, so not available there yet if you're not invited to join a pilot. Let's hope NHS Wales catches up soon!
Not here in Cambridgeshire either.,

Not here in Cambridgeshire either.,
Interesting as on the link I posted above, Cambridgeshire is specifically mentioned. It's very new in Herefordshire so I wouldn't know about it if my Practice Nurse wasn't on the ball

Interesting as on the link I posted above, Cambridgeshire is specifically mentioned. It's very new in Herefordshire so I wouldn't know about it if my Practice Nurse wasn't on the ball
Yes as I explained above , I was looking fif tge Oviva diet plan . It said “
Where do you live?*
BuckinghamshireBirmingham and SolihullCity and HackneyDevonDudleyHumber & North YorkshireLeicestershireRutlandSandwellTaysideWalsallWolverhamptonWest BirminghamMy location isn't listed here
Apologies, but self-referral is currently not available in your area. Please contact your GP practice for information on local services.
The above NHS plan is mainly for Pre diabetes or GP / Nurse not for people who have diabetes for any length of time

Yes as I explained above , I was looking fif tge Oviva diet plan . It said “
Where do you live?*
BuckinghamshireBirmingham and SolihullCity and HackneyDevonDudleyHumber & North YorkshireLeicestershireRutlandSandwellTaysideWalsallWolverhamptonWest BirminghamMy location isn't listed here
Apologies, but self-referral is currently not available in your area. Please contact your GP practice for information on local services.
The above NHS plan is mainly for Pre diabetes or GP / Nurse not for people who have diabetes for any length of time
The scheme I'm on isn't the NHS Diabetes Prevention Scheme, which, yes, is definitely for pre-diabetes. Its the NHS Type 2 Path to Remission Programme. (You do need to have a BMI above a certain number to qualify)
Try googling that Programme?
Good luck!

The scheme I'm on isn't the NHS Diabetes Prevention Scheme, which, yes, is definitely for pre-diabetes. Its the NHS Type 2 Path to Remission Programme. (You do need to have a BMI above a certain number to qualify)
Try googling that Programme?
Good luck!
Thanks

No it’s not for prediabetics. You have to have a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes to be eligible.

Attachments

• IMG_1769.png
    IMG_1769.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 2
There do seem to be several different programs often with very similar names but which are aimed at people at a different stage in diagnosis, it depends what each Health Authority calls them. No wonder there is confusion about who is eligible for what.

I just read that it's only for people diagnosed in the last six years! I'm 13 years in

Back