NHS Shake and Soup Diet

Hello everyone. I have been approved to go on the NHS Soup and Shake Diet. I am T2 and jot on medication. HBAC1 is 56. I am wondering whether anyone has tried it? The variety of flavours and products does not look great. Interested to hear how others found it and whether 800 calories a day saps energy levels
i did the newcastle diet which is the same thing essentially. i lost 12kg and was in remission. i put 5kg back on and am currently trying to lose it again on shkes (working ok). stick at it xx

Thank you. They are sending some sample sachets to try and I start the diet properly in October. Can't say I am looking forward to it. Just hope I can stand the hunger and don't feel too zapped of energy!
i did exante shakes as you mix iwth water and they tasted quite nice.

Thank you. They are sending some sample sachets to try and I start the diet properly in October. Can't say I am looking forward to it. Just hope I can stand the hunger and don't feel too zapped of energy!
if hungry, seriously its an old one but just have a nice cup of water or tea and see if its just thirsty.

I started out my diabetes journey by sticking to around 800 cals per day to start with, but using "normal" food. I ate lots of eggs, lean protein such as fish and meat, and loads of green leafy veg. I split it so it was around 200 cals for breakfast, and 300 each for lunch and tea. I still eat this diet, but allow myself more of everything (plus a nice glass of red with dinner now!). So if you're not fancying the shakes, it can be done by other means. Best of luck whichever you choose.
I've been offered the NHS meal replacement but I'm not keen on them. I'd be really interested in what your meal plan looked like if you have the time.

I've been offered the NHS meal replacement but I'm not keen on them. I'd be really interested in what your meal plan looked like if you have the time.
Apologies for jumping in but I went with a low carbohydrate approach by following the principals in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I didn't follow the meal plans as such but was mindful of the amount of carbohydrates I was having per day, I did go with approx 70g per day but probably cut down too quickly as i did have some problems with my eyes which can happen if blood glucose drops quickly.
I also used a home testing blood glucose monitor to test what meals I could tolerate with out increasing my blood glucose by more than 2 mmol/l after 2 hours.
I reduced my HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 mmol/mol in 3 months and by sticking with what really is my new way of eating I got into normal range after another 6 months.

Apologies for jumping in but I went with a low carbohydrate approach by following the principals in this link. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I didn't follow the meal plans as such but was mindful of the amount of carbohydrates I was having per day, I did go with approx 70g per day but probably cut down too quickly as i did have some problems with my eyes which can happen if blood glucose drops quickly.
I also used a home testing blood glucose monitor to test what meals I could tolerate with out increasing my blood glucose by more than 2 mmol/l after 2 hours.
I reduced my HbA1C from 50mmol/mol to 42 mmol/mol in 3 months and by sticking with what really is my new way of eating I got into normal range after another 6 months.
It does seem the way to go. i too gave up trying to go with all the menu ‘s on low carb . i am still obese but i have lost 2 stone since i started 29 th June . 3 months on . I will get blood sugars done next month as i delayed going to Gp after i started.
My fear of shakes is starting then having to go back to a normal diet once you stop when at target .
Low carb is difficult as you need to be disciplined but once you know it works its great .
I will say if like me and a foodie there is little eating between so it helps one way but it is definitely not easy.

Last edited:
I couldn't do the shakes although I did well on Slimfast back in the day. I'm trying one meal a day like my sibling does. It's killing me. :D Weight drops off though, up to now anyways but I've only been on it 3 days. The docs have offered me some kind of help at our local library so I'll go along and see what that's all about. It's aye an ootin'.

I couldn't do the shakes although I did well on Slimfast back in the day. I'm trying one meal a day like my sibling does. It's killing me. :D Weight drops off though, up to now anyways but I've only been on it 3 days. The docs have offered me some kind of help at our local library so I'll go along and see what that's all about. It's aye an ootin'.
Absolutely go and see whats out there nowt to loose. What works for one does no for another . Remember if your happy thats all that matters . We try to help each other but been told myself . Be happy and others will follow . All the best.

I am starting the plan in January now so as to avoid Christmas and NY!. The meal plan is Soups,shakes or porridge. Each is approx 200 calories so I can have 4 a day. I follow this diet for 3 months then they start to substitute a shake/soup/porridge for real food until gradually over the course of a month I am back on normal food. I would rather have products that I know are 200 cals each and contain all the nutrients I need as I am a Vegetarian wirh a severe nut allergy so trying to find the right sort of food and stick to a strict low calorie diet is very challenging for me.

I am starting the plan in January now so as to avoid Christmas and NY!. The meal plan is Soups,shakes or porridge. Each is approx 200 calories so I can have 4 a day. I follow this diet for 3 months then they start to substitute a shake/soup/porridge for real food until gradually over the course of a month I am back on normal food. I would rather have products that I know are 200 cals each and contain all the nutrients I need as I am a Vegetarian wirh a severe nut allergy so trying to find the right sort of food and stick to a strict low calorie diet is very challenging for me.
All the best i am sure you will do well. Good time to try after the celebrations. Enjoy

I hope that doesn't mean you are going to do nothing meanwhile. You may find it easier to watch your carbohydrate intake and don't worry too much about calories.
This link has a menu plan for vegetarian meals. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

I hope that doesn't mean you are going to do nothing meanwhile. You may find it easier to watch your carbohydrate intake and don't worry too much about calories.
This link has a menu plan for vegetarian meals. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
What would someone with a nut allergy use for flour. As in i use Almond or Coconut flour.
Even the fathead rolls have almond flour. So i agree that might be tricky.
Yes there are non meat proteins , egg dishes but it would be very tricky .
However to start
yoghurt and fruit
quiche snd salad
Unsure if you can have soya/ quorn but something like a chilli with cauliflower rice
or spaghetti vegenaise with say courgettes might be good.
As Leadinglights says there are ways but i am hungry at times so i do have nuts and a lot of protein foods.
Diets are really hard. In my opinion they take away all the pleasure one had from food.
its like telling yourself its s lovely day . when you feel its not
I cannot see why people will accept me more thin. However that is the way medical snc lots here on earth define us.

Last edited:
What would someone with a nut allergy use for flour. As in i use Almond or Coconut flour.
Even the fathead rolls have almond flour. So i agree that might be tricky.
Yes there are non meat proteins , egg dishes but it would be very tricky .
However to start
yoghurt and fruit
quiche snd salad
Unsure if you can have soya/ quorn but something like a chilli with cauliflower rice
or spaghetti vegenaise with say courgettes might be good.
As Leadinglights says there are ways but i am hungry at times so i do have nuts and a lot of protein foods.
Diets are really hard. In my opinion they take away all the pleasure one had from food.
its like telling yourself its s lovely day . when you feel its not
I cannot see why people will accept me more thin. However that is the way medical snc lots here on earth define us.
I think it is more a matter of reducing blood glucose and if the result of that is losing weight if you need to then that is all to the good for other health reasons not just diabetic ones, less strain on your joints and heart.
I can't say I am ever hungry with my low carb way of eating but there again I could go all day without lunch when I was at work, sometimes just too busy or timetable didn't quite allow lunch break actually at lunch time and it never then seemed worth it at 3-30pm.

I think it is more a matter of reducing blood glucose and if the result of that is losing weight if you need to then that is all to the good for other health reasons not just diabetic ones, less strain on your joints and heart.
I can't say I am ever hungry with my low carb way of eating but there again I could go all day without lunch when I was at work, sometimes just too busy or timetable didn't quite allow lunch break actually at lunch time and it never then seemed worth it at 3-30pm.
I guess some folks are not hungry the same as some folks are hungry.
My main problem is once I eat nothing stops the hunger then. If i do not eat i get light headed As soon as i have something then my brain thinks food 24/7. I can eat a meal and tell myself you have had enough or the portion in the diet. However , i have to keep busy or I would want something . My biggest problem is in the night . Once i eat dinner then I could easily bfast
at midnight and if awake all night tummy rumbling its a very long toss turn night. With very little sugar difference nos its down and dliw weight loss. It does make it hard.
Might be better for those that have to care at the end.

I had a look at it but it seemed rather extreme to me. Instead I tried cutting out snacks and a lot of carbs, and eating three meals a day in an 8 hour widow. I lost 2 lbs per week for a few months, then slowed down, but eventually my fasting blood sugar came down to normal without medication. I was never particularly hungry! I then stopped the calorie restriction by increasing fat and protein, and my weight did not rebound.
So, the NHS diet is not the only way, and I don't think it is the best, at least not for me.

Back