My Poorly Leg

Podiatry Day Today!

Patient Transport arrived before the two-hour window they give you so I was not quite ready. Ten minutes later I was good-to-go and arrived way early. Another patient (or is it a podiatry client?) had not arrived so I was seen virtually straight away. Patient Transport then turned up about ten minutes after the call to day I was ready and I was home 40 minutes before my appointment. No real change but wounds still very damp! :(

If any party comes door knocking they will get an Alex Ferguson style blast about what they will do to sort the NHS. Comprehensively lied to before last election - not what I would expect from someone whose father is a consultant!

Just before the recent local elections my OH answered the door to a callow looking youth, who promptly addressed my OH as "mate".

You chap was informed they were not mates and that he certainly couldn't rely on votes from our household.

Our current MP is a GP, married to another GP. With a majority of almost 20,000 he will likely retain his seat, but I do wish for once he would think for himself.

Just before the recent local elections my OH answered the door to a callow looking youth, who promptly addressed my OH as "mate".

You chap was informed they were not mates and that he certainly couldn't rely on votes from our household.

Our current MP is a GP, married to another GP. With a majority of almost 20,000 he will likely retain his seat, but I do wish for once he would think for himself.

Yes, I was surprised by my former MP a) blatantly lying about the NHS despite a father working for the NHS (young MP) and b) toeing the party line even when he went against what his (alleged) principles. Often I think it is a case of "I want to climb the greasy pole up the side of the money tree" rather than "I want to do the best by my constituents"! Quite sad :( really!

Yes, I was surprised by my former MP a) blatantly lying about the NHS despite a father working for the NHS (young MP) and b) toeing the party line even when he went against what his (alleged) principles. Often I think it is a case of "I want to climb the greasy pole up the side of the money tree" rather than "I want to do the best by my constituents"! Quite sad :( really!
I'd say VERY sad. How can an obviously bright man just turn his brain off.

I'm sure I do him a disservice, but honestly......

On Tuesday Patient Transport were again very early but I had to wait to appointment time but seen by a top podiatrist. Being 5 days it was not as saturated as last time. She thinks it looks slightly better but I am not sure. I am particularly worried by state of 2nd and 3rd toe. Next dressing and 8 day gap till next Wednesday's Foot Clinic. I am sure changing dessings every 3 - 4 days would be beneficial (rather than marinating!).

PXL_20240603_102757251~2.jpg

I visited the Limb Fitting Centre this morning. During a wide ranging discussion with the consultant attached to the unit one issue that came up was my foot. He feels that manuka dressings would be more appropriate as they are a natural antibiotic. In addition he felt the dressing should be changed far more frequently as sitting in a soggy dressing is nowhere near ideal. I will mention it in the Foot Clinic tomorrow but the main problem is the two hospitals are in neighbouring trusts and each tends to stick to its own ideas. "National" seems to be missing from NHS at times and it is not the first time I have encountered this. Time for bed as "silly o'clock" start in the morning!

I visited the Limb Fitting Centre this morning. During a wide ranging discussion with the consultant attached to the unit one issue that came up was my foot. He feels that manuka dressings would be more appropriate as they are a natural antibiotic. In addition he felt the dressing should be changed far more frequently as sitting in a soggy dressing is nowhere near ideal. I will mention it in the Foot Clinic tomorrow but the main problem is the two hospitals are in neighbouring trusts and each tends to stick to its own ideas. "National" seems to be missing from NHS at times and it is not the first time I have encountered this. Time for bed as "silly o'clock" start in the morning!
Have they tried silver impregnated dressings, the list of available ones I was given by my podiatry included then as well as manuka honey ones.
Manuka honey is a very effective antibacterial agent, our microbiology students used to do experiments to investigate the effect on a whole range of bacteria and the results showed it to be very effective.

It's a while since I posted. I was up at silly o'clock to get ready for Patient Transport who actually turned up just over two hours before the appointment. I was all done and dusted before 10:00. Waiting for transport to head back to flat. Also will need lunch soon after early breakfast.

You can see the improvement. They are using silver dressings but about four weeks ago somebody decided not to use them (goodness knows why?) and things took a small step back. Next Foot Clinic in about six weeks.

Editted picture to avoid identifying podiatrist.

PXL_20240717_083820622.MP~2.jpg

Yes, that definitely looks better, thank goodness!! Lets hope you have now turned a corner with it. So annoying and frustrating that your care has been chopped and changed so much though and I am guessing part of that is the lack of continuity in not seeing the same consultants and nurses each appointment. Feeling relieved to see some improvement at last!

It's a while since I posted. I was up at silly o'clock to get ready for Patient Transport who actually turned up just over two hours before the appointment. I was all done and dusted before 10:00. Waiting for transport to head back to flat. Also will need lunch soon after early breakfast.

You can see the improvement. They are using silver dressings but about four weeks ago somebody decided not to use them (goodness knows why?) and things took a small step back. Next Foot Clinic in about six weeks.

Editted picture to avoid identifying podiatrist.

View attachment 30907
Still very red and inflamed. It looks very sore . Much cleaner than it was. I think there is a limit to the silver dressings. It tends to destroy good tissue as well as desluff as I’d say the bad. So there is a balance.
At one time i thought you might lose the foot so on that note it is very much improved.
Well done. Keep with them even though the journeys must be tedious.

I see quite an improvement, @MikeyBikey , but with a way to go.

I had started at the top of the thread @MikeyBikey . The latest photos definitely look so much better. I know there is still a way to go but good to see the improvement.

Yes there is progress @MikeyBikey thanks for the update. I was thinking about you last week when I had my little toes checked myself.
Hope you are doing well

1721243108525.pngLo1721243146053.png
a lot different July 23 July 24

Much the same this week. The problem is the amount of lymphatic fluid I lose. With current guidelines I cannot have the latest high absorbency ones I have a shellfish intolerance/al. Iodine ones are no longer allowed under new guidelines if you have reduced eGFR although they were used previously without problem, and I have also had CT/MRI scans with dye without problem. The simplest solution would be twice weekly dressing changes!

PXL_20240722_095720842.MP.jpg

I tried to copy side by side but as usual failed . if anything it's less inflamed but looks more moist in the photos. Had she washed it last week or this week before the photo? I am glad they are still trying to get it better

1721719054655.png1721719071865.png

@MikeyBikey you foot today looks so much more viable that at some other times. My fingers remain firmly crossed.

Despite being very, very late I was seen. Currently bar the wounds on the sides of toes 2 and 4 I was told the rest are now superficial. I am not surprised it is those two as they are the ones where I get unpleasant neuropathic pain. Two hour wait to come back afterwards so over five hours gone...

Back