My Poorly Leg

Sorry to hear about the pain, is there anything else they can do to help?

Least you got your appointment and early. That’s a positive.

MikeyBikey - what caused all this? Is it the diabetes or is it additional medical issues?

Regarding patient transport - could you claim for any of it? I know someone who clocked up £600 worth of taxi fares going to radiotherapy treatment regularly. My friend, who used to work for the Citizens Advice, said she could put in a claim for "excessive expenditure." Not sure of rules but just a thought.

I was diagnosed with PAD after nearly 50 years with Type 1 diabetes. Routine BAG monitoring was not available in the early years (not invented). My first meter was £200 in the early 80s but you only got 25 strips every six months. I was diagnosed with PAD six weeks after a DSN said my pulses were fine. I was not convinced and on the way out told the receptionist she (the DSN) had requested a Doppler. She was pretty useless as she thought the treatment for all diabetics was to reduce your BMI to 20 - 21! The current problems first developed after being floored for two weeks with the Delta variant of Covid which they believe caused micro-clots and Covid Toe!

I was diagnosed with PAD after nearly 50 years with Type 1 diabetes. Routine BAG monitoring was not available in the early years (not invented). My first meter was £200 in the early 80s but you only got 25 strips every six months. I was diagnosed with PAD six weeks after a DSN said my pulses were fine. I was not convinced and on the way out told the receptionist she (the DSN) had requested a Doppler. She was pretty useless as she thought the treatment for all diabetics was to reduce your BMI to 20 - 21! The current problems first developed after being floored for two weeks with the Delta variant of Covid which they believe caused micro-clots and Covid Toe!YesY

I was diagnosed with PAD after nearly 50 years with Type 1 diabetes. Routine BAG monitoring was not available in the early years (not invented). My first meter was £200 in the early 80s but you only got 25 strips every six months. I was diagnosed with PAD six weeks after a DSN said my pulses were fine. I was not convinced and on the way out told the receptionist she (the DSN) had requested a Doppler. She was pretty useless as she thought the treatment for all diabetics was to reduce your BMI to 20 - 21! The current problems first developed after being floored for two weeks with the Delta variant of Covid which they believe caused micro-clots and Covid Toe!
Covid did lead to clots - I recall reading about that. I feel really sorry for you. I do hope you get it sorted out. It looks really painful. I don't know what to suggest as I know very little about vascular problems.

This has gone on so long looks so sore wish they would gets treatment that works. Wish you well soon

I was back at Podiatry today. The best that can be said id that it appears stable. The big toenail came away last week. As always it is quite uncomfortable (i.e. painful) after cleaning up. I also have a migraine after a bad hypo at lunchtime. After a spike after breakfast the insulin supercharged! This Doxycycline is a miracle worker - it can turn insulin into water or 200iu rocket fuel!

PXL_20240508_085324795~2.jpg

It's both mentally and physically exhausting now. I think it is time for the saltwater option again as that was the only time we saw real healing...
Can you ask them why they will not do this ?

Can you ask them why they will not do this ?
I think, because it is currently infected, they will be reluctant to leave it uncovered so that Mikey can do the saltwater treatment himself, but leaving it dressed for extended periods is not helpful either. Unfortunately the unreliable patient transport means that sometimes it goes longer than it should between being dressed, whereas if it wasn't dressed, Mikey could give it more regular care himself. At least, that is what I have gleaned from Mikey's posts.

I agree that they are not making any progress with it at the moment and it is not as good as it was the back end of last summer, when you were able to look after it more yourself. That was definitely the best it has been over the past year or more. It just feels like you are currently sub par and treading water at the moment compared to the good progress you were making 9 months or so ago.

I think, because it is currently infected, they will be reluctant to leave it uncovered so that Mikey can do the saltwater treatment himself, but leaving it dressed for extended periods is not helpful either. Unfortunately the unreliable patient transport means that sometimes it goes longer than it should between being dressed, whereas if it wasn't dressed, Mikey could give it more regular care himself. At least, that is what I have gleaned from Mikey's posts.

I agree that they are not making any progress with it at the moment and it is not as good as it was the back end of last summer, when you were able to look after it more yourself. That was definitely the best it has been over the past year or more. It just feels like you are currently sub par and treading water at the moment compared to the good progress you were making 9 months or so ago.
I agree, I will be speaking out of turn but he needs to know their plan. It seems to be getting worse not improving. There has to be some assessing implementing and evaluating and the assessment should say treatment needs to work or they are not implementing and evaluating to gain improvement.

Last swab showed no signs of infection. I am hoping for a better consultation in June! (fingers crossed emoji)

I agree, I will be speaking out of turn but he needs to know their plan. It seems to be getting worse not improving. There has to be some assessing implementing and evaluating and the assessment should say treatment needs to work or they are not implementing and evaluating to gain improvement.

They seem incapable of agreeing a plan bar angioplasty is too risky! The treatment should never have been cancelled. Come the revolution he's up against the wall. No firing squad just a .44 Magnum!;:rofl:

They seem incapable of agreeing a plan bar angioplasty is too risky! The treatment should never have been cancelled. Come the revolution he's up against the wall. No firing squad just a .44 Magnum!;:rofl:
feel for you

It must be zombie apocalypse next rather than revolution!?! Either way same method works.

Everything crossed for you that June brings a successful outcome

Last swab showed no signs of infection. I am hoping for a better consultation in June! (fingers crossed emoji)
I have to have my toe nail removed and got given a sheet with the dressings I need to order on prescription but I was astonished at the vast list of available dressings on the list, including silver, honey impregnated ones, have they tried any of those on your foot.

I have to have my toe nail removed and got given a sheet with the dressings I need to order on prescription but I was astonished at the vast list of available dressings on the list, including silver, honey impregnated ones, have they tried any of those on your foot.
All the best with your toe.There are may dressings but lots of things can change tge outcome. Whats good for one may not be good for another.

Podiatry Day Today!

Patient Transport arrived before the two-hour window they give you so I was not quite ready. Ten minutes later I was good-to-go and arrived way early. Another patient (or is it a podiatry client?) had not arrived so I was seen virtually straight away. Patient Transport then turned up about ten minutes after the call to day I was ready and I was home 40 minutes before my appointment. No real change but wounds still very damp! :(

If any party comes door knocking they will get an Alex Ferguson style blast about what they will do to sort the NHS. Comprehensively lied to before last election - not what I would expect from someone whose father is a consultant!

Patient Transport arrived before the two-hour window they give you so I was not quite ready. Ten minutes later I was good-to-go and arrived way early. Another patient (or is it a podiatry client?) had not arrived so I was seen virtually straight away. Patient Transport then turned up about ten minutes after the call to day I was ready and I was home 40 minutes before my appointment. No real change but wounds still very damp
Glad that your travels and appointment went so smoothly. Good to hear that there is no deterioration in the wounds. Keep the work going.

My brother’s tactic when cold called by politicians of the other side, was to keep them talking for as long as he could, on the doorstep (especially if it was raining). This way it prevented them from speaking to others whom they might influence.

Back