My Poorly Leg

It has! I first reported the developing issue to a podiatrist last November but he dismissed it as reddening and dry skin. He seemed keen to get playing with his phone! :( Anyway the next appointment that was stretched out for extra weeks a newly qualified podiatrist realised something was not right a\nd called in a senior. The rfest as they say is history...
Not good . i hope it will get better soon.

After a short night in bed most of the fluid build up drains which apparently is a good sign!

View attachment 28494
yes it means its getting blood supply. Which will have healing fluids in it . it possibly sorer too but it looking pinker and better than it was to me.

Has neither a good nor bad podiatry session yesterday as transport failed to turn up. That's two out of three podiatry appointments I have missed I the last couple of weeks. Have also missed one of my weekly physio session. Not good! :(

Last edited:
Has neither a good nor bad podiatry session yesterday as transport failed to turn up. That's two out of three podiatry appointments I have missed I the last couple of eeks. Have also missed one of my weekly physio session. Not good! :(
Thats not good

Thats not good

Personally I think a 50% failure rate in getting me to appointment rates as terrible! Actually got to physio half-an-hour early but now still waiting for return journey over two hours after end of the session. Not all amputees arrived which sadly is the norm. Personally I think we need to eliminate pointless middle management and reduce useless admin staff, and increase funding after over a decade of cuts....

Well to say I was worried would be an understatement! Last week at the foot clinic it was looking worse (first photo) and I cannot help but feel that missing alternate podiatry appointments probably contributed to the deterioration! . They put on medium dressings as opposed to light dressings. I changed the over dressing every few days as it all became quite soggy. Today (second photo) things were worse (probably caused by the damp conditions)it was back to the heavier dressings and bandaging.. The problem is macerated wounds besides just occuring are also caused by damp conditions so unless changed regularly (once a week is not good enough)other wounds may develop. A swab was taken last week and it showed infection. The podiatrist chasing this up for antibiotics as it appears nobody reacted over the Christmas interlude but will anything happen this side of New Year as it's Friday afternoon!

PXL_20231220_113132973~2.jpg

PXL_20231229_104654280~2.jpg

This is not good enough. I wish they would treat it get it better ……
Sorry you are suffering they should be able to get a prescription there n then in s hospital. Not wait until you have to have the big guns. Prevention is always better.
Have s good New Year.
So depressed but this makes me angry.

This is not good enough. I wish they would treat it get it better ……
Sorry you are suffering they should be able to get a prescription there n then in s hospital. Not wait until you have to have the big guns. Prevention is always better.
Have s good New Year.
So depressed but this makes me angry.

Today I was at Podiatry in a Healthcare Centre -last week it was the approximately monthly Foot Clinic in the hospital.I would have expected the latter to have faxed a prescription through to my local pharmacy who would have delivered yesterday!

Late yesterday afternoon became a farce with the hospital emailing me a letter requesting my GP to do the prescription because I could not collect a prescription from the hospital (a £150 taxi fare) and they did not have the GP's email address (maybe I should do a Googling course at £500 per head). .However, when I forwarded it the surgery stripped the attachment. I then rang the hospital to email the surgery direct and the script was issued about 5:00. The antibiotic was an order in and did not arrive today so it will be Tuesday when I get them - hope things do not worsen over the bank holiday weekend! (fearful emoji).

For those interested the infections are from the swab culture are:
1) Heavy growth of Enterobacter hormaechei 2) Heavy growth of Corynebacterium striatum
and the antibiotic is Co-trimoxazole 160/800 mg tablets.
They are nasty infections and I wonder where I picked them up?!

Late yesterday afternoon became a farce with the hospital emailing me a letter requesting my GP to do the prescription because I could not collect a prescription from the hospital (a £150 taxi fare) and they did not have the GP's email address (maybe I should do a Googling course at £500 per head). .However, when I forwarded it the surgery stripped the attachment. I then rang the hospital to email the surgery direct and the script was issued about 5:00. The antibiotic was an order in and did not arrive today so it will be Tuesday when I get them - hope things do not worsen over the bank holiday weekend! (fearful emoji).

For those interested the infections are from the swab culture are:
1) Heavy growth of Enterobacter hormaechei 2) Heavy growth of Corynebacterium striatum
and the antibiotic is Co-trimoxazole 160/800 mg tablets.
They are nasty infections and I wonder where I picked them up?!
Both are infections which are caused by bacteria present in the environment but which take the opportunity to infect the body when there is broken skin and in people with catheters and prosthetics. I hope the antibiotic prescribed will do the trick.
General hygiene is important to stop any spread, hand washing, separate towels etc

Podiatry today but concerned as it feels uncomfortable under the "mummy" like wrappings and I only finally got the antibiotic yesterday.

Really sorry to read things have taken a couple of steps in the wrong direction Mikey. Fingers crossed the antibiotics get working quickly and help get things back to improving again and appointments (and transport to them) improve so that you get the treatment and support you need.

Pleased that you have got them. Just remember that many people don't get any side effects and you may be one of the lucky ones that doesn't. The important thing is that they will tackle the infection in your foot. By all means be prepared for any side effects in any way you can.

I am glad that you now have your antibiotics.

i know that your foot is still not mended but that does look massively better than it did at the start @MikeyBikey . Keep at it.

An update! Last week attended the Foot Clinic. Things were much the same but I saw a new (to me) consultant. Three things came up:

i) He asked if I had the MRI and I replied that I had no even had an appointment letter. He chased them up there and then, and yesterday I got an appointment for a fortnight's time.
ii) The course of antibiotics for the bacterial infections should have been three weeks not one (someone was asleep at the wheel!) and I am now back 0n Co-trimoxazole.
iii) Patient Transport failed to turn up for my podiatry appointment the previous week so podiatry arranged for a district nurse visit. The nurse was very caring and considerate cleaning my foot up with the upmost care. Unfortunately he did the bandaging far too tight. I suspect it was because they do compression dressings on led ulcers for non-diabetics with good circulation?!

I will attach a photo in a while but am having fun and games (no really fun) with the internet connectivity.

PXL_20240117_110130500~2.jpg

Last edited:
That sounds like a few steps forward and one back @MikeyBikey
I am glad that they have arranged for podiatry to come to you, but hope that they can adjust their bandaging. Keep us updated and let us know how the MRI go.

Time for an update. The next podiatrist changed to silver dressings which seemed to do more than the anti-biotics unless they are working together. I had two lots of them but last Tuesday they had to be changed to Urgostart ones because of my MRI the next day. The foot is also looking very dry being under Egyptian mummy style wraps all week. Strangely the clinic does not have any moisturiser (!) but after seeing it the previous week I had brought my own supply of Cetraben so all areas away from the wounds could be moisturised. I will attach a photo in a while as trying to attach immediately seems to crash the post!

PXL_20240206_114204874~3.jpg

Last edited:
Back