Insulin pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
8 and 9 in the evening but i think it starts wearing.but she said just take when you get and when you go to bed but I know that's never going to work because its difinatty times I think I need something that lasts longer but more flexible then trisbria
which obivoulsy pumps last all though the day

It depends on how much insulin you originally had and what your number was before eating but you should be able to correct that
2.5 units

8 and 9 in the evening but i think it starts wearing.but she said just take when you get and when you go to bed but I know that's never going to work because its difinatty times I think I need something that lasts longer but more flexible then trisbria
Have you tried Lantus?

yes i may have correcected half a hour early but t

yes i may have correcected half a hour early but t
I do corrections less than 4 hours apart if I need to because the BG meter I use takes into account the insulin that will still be active from the last injection

This sounds like the kind of thing you will get assistance and more knowledge how to manage during the DAFNE course.
I encourage you to push for DAFNE. As mentioned previousl, it is usually a prerequisite for a pump so you will not be wasting your time and getting the next step up the pump ladder.
(Sorry, my weird mind is now trying to picture a pump ladder - is it a ladder made up of pumps or a ladder over a pile of pumps?)
Unfortunately the rungs appear to be made out of pump tubing and hence may be very difficult to negotiate sometimes .....

What makes you think your Levemir is wearing off and it is not Dawn Phenomenon?
i was refering to 7 in the evening sorry but it might not be that.

anyway sorry i probelly derailed this thread enough

wondering how i should pharse the qustion if i do mange to pick up the coverage for tommorow.

wondering how i should pharse the qustion if i do mange to pick up the coverage for tommorow.
Maybe you could say it like: I’m wondering if an insulin pump would help me manage my numbers better?

Maybe you could say it like: I’m wondering if an insulin pump would help me manage my numbers better?
yeah one big reason is my job and not being able to predict exacllty how active it is. and the fact I'm suspecting I have different back round needs for different times of days which is just impossible of pens.

I do corrections less than 4 hours apart if I need to because the BG meter I use takes into account the insulin that will still be active from the last injection
@Lily123 may I ask what meter do you use and what is the process for "informing" the device about the types of insulin you are using?
Also, do you 'ask' the meter what correction you can take or do you suggest what you think the correction needs to be and it corrects your suggestion if you have too much insulin already on board?
Have you previously defined what your optimum target is? Presumably the meter has a generic formula for the life of each type of insulin and if that is so does the meter handbook (or online) tell you what assumptions it has made for your insulins? Or are you able to inform it about how your body is responding to that particular insulin (or does it have the equivalent of simple artificial intelligence)?

I'm curious about how this all works. I'm MDI and calc my boluses, calc my corrections and apply my own factor for reduction when I'm 'active'. I don't do formal exercise, ie go to a gym or similar, but I try to spend a decent amount of time doing 'jobs' or walking, which I call moderate activity; sometimes high activity if digging in the garden for a while.

@Lily123 may I ask what meter do you use and what is the process for "informing" the device about the types of insulin you are using?
Also, do you 'ask' the meter what correction you can take or do you suggest what you think the correction needs to be and it corrects your suggestion if you have too much insulin already on board?
Have you previously defined what your optimum target is? Presumably the meter has a generic formula for the life of each type of insulin and if that is so does the meter handbook (or online) tell you what assumptions it has made for your insulins? Or are you able to inform it about how your body is responding to that particular insulin (or does it have the equivalent of simple artificial intelligence)?

I'm curious about how this all works. I'm MDI and calc my boluses, calc my corrections and apply my own factor for reduction when I'm 'active'. I don't do formal exercise, ie go to a gym or similar, but I try to spend a decent amount of time doing 'jobs' or walking, which I call moderate activity; sometimes high activity if digging in the garden for a while.
The meter I use is an Accu-Chek Aviva Expert - they no longer make them.The meter knows what my carb to insulin ratios are for each time block and also knows my correction factor and it also knows my target range (I can’t remember what it is 🙄 ) and aims for the middle of that range.The meter also knows the insulin duration so it can calculate from that how much insulin is still on board - The “active insulin” in only the correction as any insulin it works out for carbs it assumes it will be used up for carbs

Yep same here, I love pasta especially but I can’t remember the last time I ate it because is causes too many problems.

Yeah I know they’re notorious for causing issues but what I find so frustrating is I have really tried all the strategies I can think of and none of them seem to work.

I also tried bolusing after the meal and that didn’t work either so literally run out of ideas now
saying this i was put of pizza on when first dinoasged because I had of all the problems but I was encouraged my team to try it. my last pizza didn't work out too bad but I didn't have a sensor one so didn't see how bad it actually got 🙂)

The meter I use is an Accu-Chek Aviva Expert - they no longer make them.The meter knows what my carb to insulin ratios are for each time block and also knows my correction factor and it also knows my target range (I can’t remember what it is 🙄 ) and aims for the middle of that range.The meter also knows the insulin duration so it can calculate from that how much insulin is still on board - The “active insulin” in only the correction as any insulin it works out for carbs it assumes it will be used up for carbs
sounds like you allready have a bit of practice for what a pump will work out then.

saying this i was put of pizza on when first dinoasged because I had of all the problems but I was encouraged my team to try it. my last pizza didn't work out too bad but I didn't have a sensor one so didn't see how bad it actually got 🙂)
Interestingly, pizza isn’t too bad for me (touch wood!)

But pasta is absolutely impossible and rice is very hit and miss - sometimes it’s ok (ish) and other times fails miserably and I’m never quite sure which way it’s going to go!

Therefore I just don’t really eat them anymore, which is a shame as I used to LOVE pasta especially :(

most people gernally have a weeks partice with saline in right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back