Group 7-day waking average?

At the moment I'm on Humalog Mix 25, which I take 20 units of in the morning and 16 at night. It's both a rapid acting insulin and a longer acting one mixed together. The nurse said I would more than likely have to increase my dose to something around 30 in the morning, 26 at night, but we're doing it gradually, and because I'm new I don't want to change my dose without speaking to her first.

At the moment I'm on Humalog Mix 25, which I take 20 units of in the morning and 16 at night. It's both a rapid acting insulin and a longer acting one mixed together. The nurse said I would more than likely have to increase my dose to something around 30 in the morning, 26 at night, but we're doing it gradually, and because I'm new I don't want to change my dose without speaking to her first.

Definitely the right thing to do things gradually and under supervision. I think you ought to have the conversation about using separate slow- and fast-acting insulins though, it would give you much more flexibility and control. With a mix, even if the problem is that your 'background' levels need a higher dose, you have no choice but to increase the fast-acting element at the same time - this may lead to you requiring more carbohydrate at certain times of the day which you may not want but can't avoid. This may not be a problem now, but could possibly be so when your levels are generally lower. On this mix, once you get the dose 'right', you'll be stuck with having to eat the same amount of carbs at the same times of the day, every day.

Hooray Flower that you didn't have any cramp🙂

Good morning all A lovely sunny day here and no work 🙂
Got a 7.0 today

A 6.6 for me but higher during my sleepless night...cough cough 😡

Hope all are well and glad that awful cramp has subsided Flower...what a mare! 😱

Good morning all A lovely sunny day here and no work 🙂
Got a 7.0 today

Sun's finally appeared here too. Enjoy your day off, Lindarose. Glad to hear no cramp, Flower. Hope your chest's better soon, Amigo. 😛🙂:D

I agree with you Northener, I'm going to speak to the nurse about that on Monday. I think she's being cautious until I get used to injecting myself, and the other problem is that I've just picked up a prescription for 5 pens with my current insulin. I can't see them wanting to waste those! I'm still all over the place with my levels at the moment, so I imagine it will be a little while before I move onto the regime you suggest, although I completely see the sense of it.

I agree with you Northener, I'm going to speak to the nurse about that on Monday. I think she's being cautious until I get used to injecting myself, and the other problem is that I've just picked up a prescription for 5 pens with my current insulin. I can't see them wanting to waste those! I'm still all over the place with my levels at the moment, so I imagine it will be a little while before I move onto the regime you suggest, although I completely see the sense of it.

Part of the problem may be precisely down to the fact that you are on a mixed insulin. With separate insulins you can isolate the effect of one from the other so it becomes clearer what aspect needs adjustment. I can understand why they might start someone off on mixes, but I think it is becoming a little antiquated nowadays. Don't worry about having to use up the pens, I know it may seem like a waste, but what is important is your quality of life and getting your levels under control with maximum flexibility - worth more than the £40 or so that the pens cost!! 🙂

I was fortunate that I started with MDI, hope your nurse is amenable to the idea 🙂

I was on mixed insulins for the first 24 years of diabetes. There was no choice, that was all that was available. When I went on to MDI 20 years ago it was the best ever thing that happened to me with regard to the diabetes until my insulin pump.

Morning 5.3 today and how is it Monday again 🙄

What a night 😱
9pm 6 hour extended bolus
11pm 2.3 felt awful had far more Lucozade and jelly babies than I should and it went up to 5.3 - I fully expected the Lucozade and jelly babies to continue putting it up
12.30 2.9 now getting worried Lucozade, lots of jelly babies and stopped the extended bolus
5.15am 15.5 3 unit correction
7am 19.3 😱
I feel awful but I'm due to go out at lunchtime.

What a night 😱
9pm 6 hour extended bolus
11pm 2.3 felt awful had far more Lucozade and jelly babies than I should and it went up to 5.3 - I fully expected the Lucozade and jelly babies to continue putting it up
12.30 2.9 now getting worried Lucozade, lots of jelly babies and stopped the extended bolus
5.15am 15.5 3 unit correction
7am 19.3 😱
I feel awful but I'm due to go out at lunchtime.

Oh what a horrible night Amanda :( I hope that things settle down today and that you are feeling much better by lunchtime {{{HUGS}}}

Thank you Alan and Worcester_Matt I must say that I hope that I don't have anight like that again for a while. The joys of gastroparesis!

11.3 for me this morning, which isn't too bad as I was over 16 before bed last night. It seems I ate the wrong thing for dinner.

Good morning all and 6.4 today 🙂
What an awful tiring night Amanda Hope you feel much better soon and can enjoy your lunch

Back