Group 7-day waking average?

Ugh! I’ll start paying attention to the DM when it’s owner starts paying his taxes in the UK. :(

Do write to their letters page. A dose of common sense there would shine a bright light on things!

I’ll keep an eye out for a DUK response to the proposed ban, but I do find some media coverage a bit depressing. Either constantly moaning “why doesn’t somebody DO something”, or casting around tired and predictable ‘nanny state’ accusations when measures are suggested.

For poet’s day, here’s one from Brian Bilston, who apparently isn’t a fan:

I would rather
eat Quavers that are six week’s stale,
blow dry the hair of Gareth Bale,
listen to the songs of Jimmy Nail,
than read one page of the Daily Mail.

If I were bored
in a waiting room in Perivale,
on a twelve hour trip on British rail
or a world circumnavigational sail,
I would not read the Daily Mail.

I would happily read
the complete works of Peter Mayle,
the autobiography of Dan Quayle,
selected scripts from Emmerdale,
but I couldn’t ever read the Daily Mail.

Far better to
stand outside in a storm of hail,
be blown out to sea in a powerful gale
then swallowed by a humpback whale
than have to read the Daily Mail.
I love Brian Bilston. I have a couple of his books.

Ugh! I’ll start paying attention to the DM when it’s owner starts paying his taxes in the UK. :(

Do write to their letters page. A dose of common sense there would shine a bright light on things!

I’ll keep an eye out for a DUK response to the proposed ban, but I do find some media coverage a bit depressing. Either constantly moaning “why doesn’t somebody DO something”, or casting around tired and predictable ‘nanny state’ accusations when measures are suggested.

For poet’s day, here’s one from Brian Bilston, who apparently isn’t a fan:

I would rather
eat Quavers that are six week’s stale,
blow dry the hair of Gareth Bale,
listen to the songs of Jimmy Nail,
than read one page of the Daily Mail.

If I were bored
in a waiting room in Perivale,
on a twelve hour trip on British rail
or a world circumnavigational sail,
I would not read the Daily Mail.

I would happily read
the complete works of Peter Mayle,
the autobiography of Dan Quayle,
selected scripts from Emmerdale,
but I couldn’t ever read the Daily Mail.

Far better to
stand outside in a storm of hail,
be blown out to sea in a powerful gale
then swallowed by a humpback whale
than have to read the Daily Mail.
This reminds me of Michael Foot's reply when the 'Mail On Sunday' asked to interview him: "I don't speak to the Mail On Sunday - or on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday or Saturday".

I have,

A few years ago we thought about switching to a different paper and I read an article once that ranked the papers from The Times in top spot to the Daily Star in bottom place. One below the DM was the Daily Express, one above was The Independent. Neither appealed, so we stuck with the DM.
My mother still takes the Daily Mail - although only for the TV pages, I think. I look at it out of curiosity when I'm there but I can only tolerate the racist, sexism and homophobia for a very short time.

I used to take The Independent when it existed as a print copy, as it seemed balanced - despite being owned by a Belarussian with wealth of uncertain provenance! Since it folded, I've tried The Guardian but find it dull. So, it's The Times for me.

Of course all print newspapers are aimed at oldies anyway nowadays: youngies simply don't read them!

5.8 for me this morning. Day off but several little things to do

Morning all.9.1 for me this morning.Last few days with higher readings than normal.My time in range for week has gone from 98 down to 90 for the week .Still 90 % for 90 days .Got a text yesterday from hospital.After nearly five years I've got a face to face assessment.Still haven't replaced the dsn after 28 months.Enjoy your day folks

BG 4.3

Things don't seem to be going well yet. Wife is very angry, confused, annoyed, frightened, ill. I am just tired and very sad. Maybe today will be better. Let's hope so.
Can you get a referral back to the mental heath team for some support for your wife. It is a shame as she seemed so much better after the help she had before.

At Sunrise or Sunset??? Ha ha.

Would love to see FOTR, but the way the world s today it would way too upsetting for me.
I get that.

Morning all. 6.3. Loads milder this morning. 12 degrees and damp! We lit the fire yesterday to warm up the house, we’re determined not to put the heating on until we come back from our holidays on 5th October. Although it flicked itself on yesterday morning for half an hour as it was so cold. Frosty roofs and everything, it was a beautiful day though.

Fibre broadband man arrived at 11.45, computer says no, or should we say between being a Grade 2 listed property and Health and Safety, it was a no no. Firstly he wasn’t happy because the telegraph post was across the road, sorry about that should we move? Then he wanted to put a box on the front wall, we said no can do. Apart from not being allowed, drilling through a 300 year old sandstone house ( through the stucco rendering which is one of the reasons it’s listed) isn’t a good idea! When we asked why it couldn’t be done where the original phone line goes in on the back of the house, H & S raised its ugly head. Obviously H&S didn’t exist way back when that was installed. “What about a cherry picker and just throw it over the roof?” suggested retired H&S manager Mr Eggy. I’ve got a cherry picker said BT man, he phoned his gaffer. No, nada, not a chance, you’ll have to contact a telecommunications firm and they’ll send roofers. Errr….so what’s BT? We phoned BT, on the line for ages. Someone will get back to you….on the 23rd September! It’s laughable, not once were we asked about the construction of our house or where the nearest telegraph pole was! We await the call with bated breathe.

Nowt much on, except a return visit to “French” in-laws, they return on Wednesday.

@ColinUK congratulations on your HS, and thanks for another ear worm. “ If I was a rich man”. ( I’d probably move house to across the road to a non listed property so I could get super fast fibre broadband!) 😛

Have a super Saturday.

Morning am sure Mr eggy rolled his eyes at that conversation.
Well a 4.1 for me and I bumped along the red line virtually all night and for first time ever went up to 3% in red for 7 days. Cause of it was undoubtedly having a 2u NR correction just before bed as my BG went above 10 and rising and yes I know it has been coming down quickly but it came down rapidly so needed the Dextrose and a biscuit after 30 minutes.
That is despite 3 big slices of Pizza and no basal insulin at all in the day and a reduction to 4u of Lantus and no exercise.
It may be it settles down and I just need to readjust by ensuring I always eat something before bed but it definitely looks like my insulin requirements have fallen and need to explore further ( will open a separate thread.
Have a great w/ end

Well done @ColinUK. A near miss for me with 5.1. 🙂

Dez

Back