Group 7-day waking average?

@zippyjojo, I always sleep on my right and thus always have sensors on my left. I have 3 nominal places on my left arm (high, middle, low) which allows the next sensor to be off the site of the outgoing one; now with G7 I have 3 left side abdomen places that still allows variation.

Same here. Sleeping on the left feels odd as there as no lower leg that side! :(

Good morning from Boris and me! My BG was 7.2 about 2.5 hours ago, now 6.5.

Sorry to hear about your wife's lack of understanding @Gwynn . I spent a period in a care home post amputation with no support as such. They had a policy of integrating dementia patients (unless particularly confused or a tendency to violence) into the greater community. It probably seemed a great idea to the 9 - 5 home manager but as a resident it was there every mealtime, every time you left your room and sometimes in your room (will not bother with details but could be a bit much).

I had the same discussion yesterday with my hairdresser. Shepherds pie, ham, egg and chips, bangers and mash, chops with boiled potatoes, tattie pot with the cheapest fattiest bits of lamb you could ever find. 😱 And of course a Sunday dinner, which in essence was the same as we’d had all week, meat and potatoes! I do remember my mam buying tins of Homepride curry. It was so sweet and full of raisins, it was awful, no rice though, we had it with chips, homemade, in a chip pan! I’m glad we’ve moved on.
I had the good fortune to have a Mother and a Gran who were "good plain cooks" and in Mum's case a keenness on cookery books. Dad liked gardening. So we got a bit more variety. Steak and kidney pie; chicken pie with mushrooms and bacon; Lancashire hot pot; pheasant casserole; salmon; sewin or brown trout, and usually 2 veggies as well as the ubiquitous but versatile spuds. Endlessly varied salads in the summer and home made scones, treacle tart, apple pie, jam tarts and cake to fill up a teenagers hollow legs. Rice, sadly, was limited to rice pudding (much loathed) until I was around 14. After that chicken curry joined the potential food on offer. Egg and chips usually indicated (as my brother and I didn't realise and regarded it as a treat) a shortfall in the housekeeping. When eggs were in short supply or matters were dire a smallholding Grandfather would send a bird, unplucked but eviscerated, with eggs stuffed inside it...
I too welcome the greater variety of foods available today but nothing, and certainly not pre-cooked ultra processed food, replaces the smell and flavour of good home cooking.

10.6 for me the first time I woke up. Didn't realise my Levemir cartridge was low, so only injected the 4 units that were left in it (I couldn't be bothered to get up and get a new cartridge) and 7 units of Fiasp and went back to sleep and woke up the next time on a very nice 4.8. My levels were just under 10 most of the night in an impressively horizontal line despite another Levemir increase, but it turns out I am developing a cold. As a result I have now jabbed another 20 units of Levemir to go with the 4 I injected earlier, so that is a daytime increase of 2 and see how I get on with that. Not had a cold/flu/Covid since diagnosis 4.5 years ago so I don't feel too badly done to in getting one now, although I am blaming my friend who I had tea with the other day as I haven't had contact with anyone else and she has grandkids and mixes with lots of people. Was lovely to see her though!
Unfortunately I had a dental appointment this morning so I have had to cancel that. Will be doing essential tasks only today and sipping medicated hot lemon drinks in between. I roasted a chicken 2 days ago so I have a carcass to make chicken broth with which will hopefully put me right in no time.

Love the talk of the meals our Mams cooked for us. I would go back to those days in an instant. I don't remember a rota or schedule for the meals, I just remember that it tasted great and I loved all of it. I definitely wouldn't miss pasta or rice going back to that menu and whilst I enjoy curry, I would happily forego it for my mother's meals again. Steak and Kidney pudding, mince and dumplings, lamb chop dinner, corned beef hot pot, beef roast, rissoles with home made rhubarb chutney and her home made black pudding, which was my absolute favourite. Then there were the puddings and fruit pies and custard. I dread to think how much insulin I would need but those are seriously good memories. All veg was fresh from the garden or the freezer and the meat came from a butcher and was wrapped in greaseproof paper and then newspaper and tied with string. There was no mountain of plastic to recycle. And if we ran short of anything like sugar or flour, we were sent to the neighbour with a borrowing cup, which was a large enameled mug. Happy days!!

A happy 5.0 for me this fine sunny morning which makes a change from those grey murky ones recently.

Morning all. Just a bit dull today but at least the cloud cover is high and pale.

No FBG this morning as my sensor ran out at 3:30am and my test kit was downstairs. Now 7.4.

Interesting discussion on our mothers' cooking. My mother wasn't really a good cook, but to be fair, when I was a small child she had to prepare all food on a fire range and contend with rationing. I remember Lancashire hot pot, meat and potato pie, apple pies and tripe and onions on a Monday, though I was not required to eat the latter! Later on when we had moved several times, got a gas cooker and mother was working, then it became roast on a Sunday, cold meat from the roast and chips made in a chip pan on Monday, until she discovered curry powder and then the roast became curry on Monday. Served with raisins, dessicated coconut, sliced banana and (curioser and curiouser) sliced cucumber in vinegar! Grilled chicken portions featured regularly and they were horrible, burnt black on the outside and suspiciously pink inside. Steak was put into a frying pan with a large lump of lard and the lid on. I was required to turn the gas on under it when I got home from work as I was always first home. That steak could be in the pan for up to an hour.

There is so much more available to us these days. I spent most of the afternoon yesterday cooking a venison stew. A friend dropped in for a cuppa and slowed me down a lot as I was trying to prepare the stew and have a conversation at the same time. I've been trying to make space in the freezer so I can stock up for Christmas - so this week we've had Wood Pigeon breasts 2 nights running. Sunday with spinach/mushrooms/garlic (I wasn't dead keen on that recipe) and Monday in a red wine sauce, that was lovely. Tuesday we had little German Bratwurst with Mediterranean roast veggies. Wednesday home made Cottage pie out of the freezer and last night and tonight the Venison. I'm lucky that I love cooking. I know not everyone does and not everyone has time to do it, especially during the working week.

@zippyjojo I wear my sensors on my thighs, slightly to the inside of the fronts. Then I don't lay on them at all. Don't let Abbot know that though if you need to speak to them about a replacement.

Ta ta for now, off to town to meet a friend for lunch. Have a good day all.

Good morning - 7.9.

Second to last mock today - Spanish writing. I’ve got Spanish speaking back during normal lessons next week.

Have a great day everyone!
¡Buena suerte! 🙂

@Pattidevans all your food sounds delicious and I loved the descriptions of your childhood food. Not sure sensors on my thighs would work as they’d be contending with my. HRT gel :rofl:. I received “Think like a Pancreas” yesterday so thanks for the recommendation x

I should say mum’s cooking was, and is, fabulous. They’ve always entertained and when they do the food is fantastic. She can rustle up a Wellington anything with her eyes shut and she’s still known to just knock up a quick pavlova, baked Alaska or mille-feuille whilst people are sitting in the kitchen chatting away with her seemingly doing nothing!

My mother didn’t care much for cooking and was a very plain cook. Her mother was ill most of my mam’s life and died aged 52 when she was only 16 so I suppose she didn’t have anyone to teach her to cook. My dad was very, very fussy, no vegetables, hated tomatoes and cheese and my mam just sort of gave up I think. My middle sister is exactly the same, fussy and eats very plain food, she hates cooking. I learnt to cook after I met Mr Eggy as I wanted to impress him. I’m not actually sure why we’re still together as the first meal I “cooked” him was a pie from the bakers, Smash potatoes ( remember that) and for some unknown reason tuna from a tin as a side dish. :rofl: I like to think I’ve improved somewhat!

@eggyg Powdered mash potato is a magic ingredient in many chef kitchens. It can find a way into sauces and cakes as well as potato dishes. I’ve seen it used in the Masterchef kitchen a number of times.

And the first meal mum cooked dad was a bowl of reheated chicken soup with lockshen (fine egg vermicelli). She didn’t realise that the lockshen would swell up when it was being cooked in the soup so she cooked a pound of the stuff. And enough soup for just the two of them.

Bless his cotton socks he ate the whole thing.

@eggyg Powdered mash potato is a magic ingredient in many chef kitchens. It can find a way into sauces and cakes as well as potato dishes. I’ve seen it used in the Masterchef kitchen a number of times.

And the first meal mum cooked dad was a bowl of reheated chicken soup with lockshen (fine egg vermicelli). She didn’t realise that the lockshen would swell up when it was being cooked in the soup so she cooked a pound of the stuff. And enough soup for just the two of them.

Bless his cotton socks he ate the whole thing.
I didn’t think the likes of Smash still existed. Wow! I don’t think I’ll be hunting it down next time I’m in Tesco!
My next meal I cooked for Mr Eggy was a bit more adventurous, coq au vin, from a packet! That lead onto sweet and sour chicken, from a packet. But eventually once we had our first house and had my own kitchen I did improve, although the first Christmas dinner I made I forgot to take the giblets ( in a plastic packet) out of the turkey before cooking it. Oops! Once I made a curry in a pressure cooker, very 80s) which exploded and went all over the kitchen ceiling! But I plodded on to become the fabulous cook I am now. And modest with it. 😉

I didn’t think the likes of Smash still existed. Wow! I don’t think I’ll be hunting it down next time I’m in Tesco!
My next meal I cooked for Mr Eggy was a bit more adventurous, coq au vin, from a packet! That lead onto sweet and sour chicken, from a packet. But eventually once we had our first house and had my own kitchen I did improve, although the first Christmas dinner I made I forgot to take the giblets ( in a plastic packet) out of the turkey before cooking it. Oops! Once I made a curry in a pressure cooker, very 80s) which exploded and went all over the kitchen ceiling! But I plodded on to become the fabulous cook I am now. And modest with it. 😉
You’re not a proper cook if you’ve not roasted a turkey with the plastic bag of giblets still inside, served spag bol on paper plates, made egg and chips on a one ring camping gas stove, or had cakes grow out of their tins so much that you have to carve them out of the oven at least once!

I can’t blow the lid off my pressure cooker but mum did once pass a whole chicken, chicken soup and the associated veg through the steam nozzle as she took the weight off her Prestige High Top without cooling it first. That was the most delicious ceiling I’ve ever licked!

@Robin I look back with tinted spectacles I guess. Simpler meals, probably, but good wholesome stuff.
Agree 100% - and with just 2 kitchen appliances, a gas cooker and a fridge. We boiled the kettle on the hob and made toast under the grill.

Now l look at our kitchen these days - hob, oven, extractor hood, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, microwave, slow cooker, fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and a collection of mixers, blenders etc. And everything's electric.

How on earth did we manage...???

Last edited:
5.3 this morning for me.

Been disappointed this week in seeing my usual narrow breakfast spike extend into more of a saw tooth pattern on the graph. Despite starting off the day at a reasonable or even low level, it’s not dropping after eating but stubbornly staying around 8 or so. Yet not eating for a period proves the basal level is ok as I still get a flat line during that period.

Here’s today’s chart :

IMG_2758.png
Normally by lunchtime I would be back down to what I started the day on. Not sure what’s going on here - why doesn’t D just behave itself?

Indian meal with friends tonight, so BG will be anybody’s guess later!

Take care everyone!

Morning all and 5.3 for me here in Hollywood.

Hollywood Boulevard is as tacky as I feared and smells overwhelmingly of weed. A bit like Blackpool without the sea or fish and chips.

Had a rather nice Cobb salad to eat but bring American size portion didn't quite manage to finish it.

A busy day ahead so good luck and Buena suerta everyone.

Woke up this morning feeling a bit sick, but a fingerprick test was 5.8 so blood sugar wasn't the culprit!

Agree 100% - and with just 2 kitchen appliances, a gas cooker and a fridge. We boiled the kettle on the hob and made toast under the grill.

Now l look at our kitchen these days - hob, oven, extractor hood, toaster, kettle, coffee maker, microwave, slow cooker, fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher and a collection of mixers, blenders etc. And everything's electric.

How on earth did we manage...???
You mean you didn't hold the slice of bread on the end of a toasting fork over the coal fire and prayed it wouldn't fall off.

I had very little meat as my dad was vegetarian, so mainly veg, salads, eggs, cheese and marmite gravy.

Ohhh yessss.... I once made the mistake of mentioning to MIL that I loved mashed potatoes. She asked us to go over and do a minor bit of DIY in her flat. We were off on a trip (still flying then) the next day and I had a pheasant casserole in the oven, so we went over and took the pheasant casserole with us for dinner. Unbeknown to me she added green peppers to the casserole which ruined it, then served it with Smash made with just boiling water, no butter, cream or pepper. Ugh!

I have made my own mistakes, who doesn't? I had brought some Bratwurst back from Germany and I grilled them. I hadn't realised they were vac packed and they exploded all over the kitchen in the flat I shared with 3 girls. A boyfriend commented that the omelette I had made was "very good as pancakes go!". In my late teens I worked with an Italian girl and she gave me the recipe for spag bol. Spag was hard to find and came in long purple paper packets. I cooked the whole pack for myself and my parents. There was so much that I had to bring it to the table in a roasting pan. Eventually Dad said "very nice darling, but do we have to eat it all?"

With the group of friends we meet in the pub on Weds we are having a dinner party where everyone brings a dish on 1 Dec. I've been liaising with the hostess and we've been is tearing our hair out trying to concoct a menu as 2 people don't eat shellfish, 1 doesn't eat onions, 2 do not eat mushrooms and the non-onion person says he doesn't eat cheese! His OH says "put it in front of him and he'll eat it and ask for more". So....I'm doing the starter, I think chicken liver and port pate. The hostess is doing the Rick Stein chicken and cider gratin, I have no idea about the dessert as I have not asked the couple bringing that... and ironically the non-cheese eater and partner are bringing the cheese board!
You mean you didn't hold the slice of bread on the end of a toasting fork over the coal fire and prayed it wouldn't fall off.
Ha ha, I remember that!

@Lily123 hope todays mocks went well.

@khskel enjoy the good 'ole USofA. There used to be some fab restaurants out at Venice, LA if you get time to go there

Back