Group 7-day waking average?

Wow! Is your Rhubarb through? That seems very early! I haven't been down the bottom of the garden this year yet to check on mine. For the first time that I can remember I didn't bury it in horse manure this year, so hope it is OK.
We have loads this year. Ours is right at the top of the garden behind the sheds so I don’t see it until I actually wander up there which I did on Monday. Wow! I couldn’t believe it. It hadn’t had any cow muck either.

And it’s a 5.4 for me this morning after a sunny start it’s now clouded over and we now have a light gray sky which is getting greyer by the minute.

We have loads this year. Ours is right at the top of the garden behind the sheds so I don’t see it until I actually wander up there which I did on Monday. Wow! I couldn’t believe it. It hadn’t had any cow muck either.
I will have to have a wander down there and check on it once I pull coat and wellies on.

@eggyg Elaine you ask about the meal. Well there are two components to that. First there’s the ceremonial/religious elements and then there’s the meal itself. Albeit the meal is always shaped by family tradition.

During Pesach you’re not allowed to eat anything which can ferment pretty much. That’s because when Pharaoh announced that folks could finally leave they didn’t have time to bake leavened bread. Instead they made do with flat bread. Although they probably ended up with something like pitta or maybe more like hardtack we have matzos.

Matzo ends up being part of every meal.

In addition to that, at the religious part of the evening we eat:

Bitter herb - usually parsley or lettuce dipped in salt water but in our house it’s grated horseradish

A cold boiled potato

Charoset - a paste made of apple, nuts, spices like cinnamon and red wine

A mix of horseradish and charoset.

Then there’s the meal. That always starts with a hard boiled egg in a little salt water. That’s tradition and I know no family that doesn’t have this element to their meal.

Then it’s a normal meal. I think we’ll likely have chopped liver, chicken soup with dumplings made from matzo meal (matzos are made from wheat flour but you can’t use flour during Pesach however you can use matzo meal which is finely ground matzos. Don’t ask!

Then chicken, assorted veg followed by dessert. Although desert might be more appropriate given the wandering through one that followed the exodus.

At the end of the meal and to mark the recommencement of the religious side of things we have to eat an olive sized piece of matzo.

Like all Jewish festivals it’s a mix of interpretation of the rules, family tradition and expediency.
Sounds amazing, even though I’ve never heard of some of the foods. Although I love boiled eggs I think having to eat one before the main meal would finish me off!

Came up to query what happened to the cow muck?
I meant horse muck! We do have cows behind us, they were let loose on Monday, hence why I was at the back of the garden. Me and Zara went to say hello. We could nip over the fence and pinch some of their droppings I suppose. I have access to tons of horse muck as farmer daughter has a few horses, I’ve lost count, 7/8 maybe, but we never take advantage of it. Our rhubarb just grows all by itself! No forcing required either.

Morning all. 5.3 for me. Woke up twice during the night. Tested both in the 7s low alarm went off at 5.30 it was 3.9 .soon sorted. Looking out the window it's now starting to rain ️ Get this dog out and have a walk along tea room for an hour. Hope everyone is doing well and have a good day folks

6.6. definitely some help from my liver there as I had been awake a while but not got around to eating. Having ham with pesto dip for breakfast, need to do a reccy to my friend's cake shop today so saving carbs for cake, be rude not to buy something while I'm there

I work on the principle with rhubarb that the crown likes to keep growing upwards a little bit and that by burying it under manure every year, that keeps it growing upwards and that seems to really discourage it from seeding. We will see this year if it all goes to seed. Just been down and checked on it and mine is clearly on strike because I haven't given it payment this year. There are some short stalks about 2-3 inches long with leaves just unfurling but a long way to go before I can crop any. Just wondering if I have left it too late to manure it now. Normally I just tip a few barrow loads in Jan and rake it flat so it gets about 2 inches covering over the whole lot, but that would break the leaves off now, but I could just scatter some over it with the gripe I guess. I think mine must be a later variety though as I never have rhubarb this early.

Been up to take a photo. I’m sure it’s grown since Monday! Oh and the newly released cows behind us. They like to come and see us.

Attachments

• 242FBA5D-BC06-4E82-9C4C-933038EBBEB8.jpeg
    242FBA5D-BC06-4E82-9C4C-933038EBBEB8.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CCB17F85-94D4-4D69-801E-D8CD7C820B75.jpeg
    CCB17F85-94D4-4D69-801E-D8CD7C820B75.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 7
  • A4A54BF4-17DC-49BB-A2CF-1F395D6B823C.jpeg
    A4A54BF4-17DC-49BB-A2CF-1F395D6B823C.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 7
Been up to take a photo. I’m sure it’s grown since Monday! Oh and the newly released cows behind us. They like to come and see us.

Blooming heck! It really is away!!

13.3 no idea

99,657 - Who will be the 100,000 poster?!

Have a good day.

13.3 no idea

99,657 - Who will be the 100,000 poster?!

Have a good day.
Think it would only be proper for @Northerner to have that honour but it looks like we have a long way to go yet. Still awaiting @Docb's response as somehow he is seeing a much higher total than our page is showing??

Late posting today - 5.3 when I woke what seems like ages ago now!

Visit to dentist was eventful yesterday (ok from a teeth point of view thank goodness!) - whilst in the waiting room I felt myself starting to go low, scanned and it was 4.1 with a downward sloping arrow. Eek! Checked with receptionist if I needed to rewash my hands after getting something from my coat pocket (they have a strict procedure since covid to keep everyone safe). She asked if I was ok, so I explained and then they all went into action, offering sweet tea if I needed! I had a couple of my dextrose tablets (@Elenka_HM - from my “hypocket”:rofl:) and scanning again a bit later my BG was coming up fine so said I was ok thanks. When I went into the dentist a few minutes after that, they had out a box with glucogel and a BG meter in case I needed further help! Luckily I was ok by then but it was so nice that they were prepared and knew what to do to help.

Went back to my car and scanned again and, of course, got the “reading not available, try again in 10 minutes” message - grrrr! As I always take my BG meter with me I tested on that and had a nice 7.4, so could drive back ok.

Congratulations @freesia on your HS and very interesting house!

@ColinUK - thanks for the details about Pesach and foods, etc. very interesting! I miss hearing about this from my schooldays when I had a friend who was Jewish and told us all about their traditions at home. I love hearing about all of this.

Have a great day everyone!

Similar to a Carrs Water Biscuit, which I love. I’d happily eat those.
Similar and yet so utterly different in mouthfeel and taste.

Back