Group 7-day waking average?

Morning

9.3 this morning, thought I was getting over this lurgy, temperature has returned to normal, aches are much less, but no this morning a tight chest and sore throat. Oh well I still work from home most days, so can log on and work, but not pushing myself or doing any extra hours until I feel better.

@MrPixels - congratulations on your HS, and @Robin - you should absolutely claim it as a HS, so congratulations to you as well.

@Elenka_HM enjoy Cornwall, I love it there as childhood holidays were always in Cornwall, at Par near St Austell.

@Eternal422 - I am there with you on the considering retiring, I still have 7 years until I reach retirement age, but while I can cope with one or two days a week in the office, if I have to go back full time it will influence my decision.

@Elenka_HM enjoy Cornwall, I love it there as childhood holidays were always in Cornwall, at Par near St Austell.
Look where the train stopped just as I was reading this post! 😱 I still have an hour or so to my actual destination tho.
IMG_20230320_113817.jpg

8.1 on waking, but down to 6.1 after breakfast! Why are my waking tests always higher after no food for 8 or so hours?!
It’s your liver trickling out extra glucose from about 4am to give your body a boost to face the day. (Known as the Dawn Phenomenon. It dates back to when we had to get out of the cave and go and hunt a wooly mammoth for breakfast. Some people's livers help out as soon as they get out of bed, known colloquially as 'Foot on the floor' syndrome!)
Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Bécquer was a romantic poet, so all "Sturm und Drang". The way I read the poem is that she didn't correspond to his love, and that while the swallows will come back, she will not find anyone to love her like he did.
Ahhhh that makes utter sense! Thank you
8.1 on waking, but down to 6.1 after breakfast! Why are my waking tests always higher after no food for 8 or so hours?!
Dawn phenomenon... your liver is releasing glucose so that when you wake up you will have energy for the day... but as a diabetic that's not very helpful. Some people find a little bit of protein, such as a piece of cheese on a low carb cracker will alleviate the problem.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am already on BP meds - GP wants to establish why levels gone labile and then to consider dosage/type etc. We had reduced the dose of my loop diuretic as it has side effect of raising BG as well as the difficulty of finding loos if I go out in the mornings. Going back to the old dose hasn't, at least as yet, ameliorated the BP. Neither Losartan nor furosemide have caused me any digestive problems.
I've been on Losartan for years with no problems but they started adding other drugs when BP shot up about 3 years ago. I think it's the interaction that is causing the problems. I now take Bisoprolol, Felodipine and Losartan. Plus they have increased the doses gradually. I'm having investigations on Thursday. Won't say any more right now.

It dates back to when we had to get out of the cave and go and hunt a wooly mammoth for breakfast.
At least they come in convenient plastic pots now! :rofl:

I am there with you on the considering retiring, I still have 7 years until I reach retirement age, but while I can cope with one or two days a week in the office, if I have to go back full time it will influence my decision.
Some friends (who have already retired early), daughter and an uncle have all recently said to us that we should retire. Although my daughter is looking for some child care and therefore has a vested interest in me retiring, everyone’s thoughts are still pretty much along the lines of : you don’t know how long with good health you have, so make the best of things now. After all, nobody has ever said that they wished they’d worked longer.

Some friends (who have already retired early), daughter and an uncle have all recently said to us that we should retire. Although my daughter is looking for some child care and therefore has a vested interest in me retiring, everyone’s thoughts are still pretty much along the lines of : you don’t know how long with good health you have, so make the best of things now. After all, nobody has ever said that they wished they’d worked longer.
Mr Eggy and I retired in 2017 at age 57. This was, in Mr Eggy’s case, for medical reason. He’d had a second heart attack, the first being in 2007 followed by a quad bypass. I was going to carry on working but by chance his company were offering enhanced payouts to basically get rid of the old final salary pensions. It allowed me to hand in my notice too. The plan was we’d both finish 30th June. I ended up finishing on the 1st! After a week in Cornwall where my right shoulder was in the worst part of the frozen shoulder saga, I returned to work and was unable to use the mouse or even retrieve a file from the filing cabinet! I was in absolute agony. I finished that very day as I was unable to do my job. As it happened, 13 days after retirement Mr Eggy had HA number 3. He went on to have another three in the following months. It’s just as well I wasn’t working as he needed looked after and driven about to hospitals etc. After a newish procedure in 2018 he has, touch wood, been mostly fine. He knows his limitations but gardens, decorates, runs after our growing horde of grandchildren and when we can, we climb fells and love to go on holiday, usually to go walking. We live each day to the full ( even if that’s just doing Wordle and eventually getting showered at 10am) ) and it really was the best thing we ever did. I would say, if you’re able financially, and don’t forget you spend more when you’re working, go for it. Be prepared to be an unpaid babysitter though.
:rofl:

@eggyg - thank you so much for sharing. Definitely food for thought! Glad Mr Eggy is ok now, it’s that sort of thing that really makes you think and re-evaluate your priorities!

@eggyg - thank you so much for sharing. Definitely food for thought! Glad Mr Eggy is ok now, it’s that sort of thing that really makes you think and re-evaluate your priorities!
It definitely does. He loved his job, he was a EHS manager for a big factory, it was stressful at times and there was some long days and call outs at weekends. Someone had a heart attack and died during my birthday dinner once. He often says things like “ at our place”, and does keep in touch with one or two of his colleagues, but he does not miss it at all. We actually can’t imagine having to go back to work. We both left school at 16, and apart from me having three years off for maternity, we both did 41 years. Long enough in my opinion.

1679336413768.pngWhat a few days. Saturday, Sunday and today have been a nightmare! I just can't get my blood sugar to stay up. I've had so much sugar today i'm surprised i'm not being scraped off the ceiling. I reduced the basal last week, looks like i'll be doing it again.

All this talk of retirement is making me wish i could. We just can't afford it though. Even though i've worked since i was 18 (i'm 60 this year) with 4 years off for childcare, my private pension just isn't good enough to last me until i can claim a state pension. I would give anything to finish now. If you can afford it @Eternal422 then go for it, you just don't know whats around the corner.

All this talk of retirement is making me wish i could. We just can't afford it though. Even though i've worked since i was 18 (i'm 60 this year) with 4 years off for childcare, my private pension just isn't good enough to last me until i can claim a state pension. I would give anything to finish now. If you can afford it @Eternal422 then go for it, you just don't know whats around the corner.
It’s a tough decision to give up the regular monthly income. I’ve got a small final salary pension but the majority is a private pension pot which won’t buy a massive pension unfortunately. Getting divorced 16 years ago meant I lost half my pension pot back then as part of the settlement, but been able to add back into it over those years. I remarried 13 years ago and my wife has a local government pension which will be an enormous help. I‘ve just turned 63, so 3 years until I can get my state pension. Been spending most of today looking at finances!

It’s a tough decision to give up the regular monthly income. I’ve got a small final salary pension but the majority is a private pension pot which won’t buy a massive pension unfortunately. Getting divorced 16 years ago meant I lost half my pension pot back then as part of the settlement, but been able to add back into it over those years. I remarried 13 years ago and my wife has a local government pension which will be an enormous help. I‘ve just turned 63, so 3 years until I can get my state pension. Been spending most of today looking at finances!
We were able to pay off our mortgage with the tax free 25%, also car loan and some credit card bills. That freed up quite a lot of money needed for monthly outgoings. I’m very frugal by nature and I’ve managed to cut our supermarket bill by quite a lot because we’re obviously able to make everything from scratch rather than relying on expensive stuff grabbed on the way home or getting take out or nipping to a restaurant. As I’m not in town everyday I’m not spending every lunch break buying “stuff”. I don’t need work clothes or shoes anymore. Our car sits for days without moving as we walk everywhere, except for the big shop, so petrol bill has vastly reduced. I will say though, hubby had a very, very good pension pot, he’d worked for the same company for all his working life and paid into his pension since he was 18 and paid AVCs so was able to retire at 60 anyways, so only lost 3 years rather than 9 years. We have been very lucky and I don’t have any income of my own. I’m a kept woman!

I'm waiting for dinner in a place @Pattidevans mentioned in Penzance. Looks quite traditional and warm, tho I felt they could tell I'm not local before I stepped in. The waiter asked me for ID before I even ordered a drink, must have a young face for 26 😉

Had a hypo warning when I sat down but asked it to remind me to check in 15 minutes (didn't treat) and sure enough, I'm now 5'1. Dramatic Libre. It tends to show a downward arrow when I walk but after I sit down for a few minutes is usually stable.

We were able to pay off our mortgage with the tax free 25%, also car loan and some credit card bills. That freed up quite a lot of money needed for monthly outgoings. I’m very frugal by nature and I’ve managed to cut our supermarket bill by quite a lot because we’re obviously able to make everything from scratch rather than relying on expensive stuff grabbed on the way home or getting take out or nipping to a restaurant. As I’m not in town everyday I’m not spending every lunch break buying “stuff”. I don’t need work clothes or shoes anymore. Our car sits for days without moving as we walk everywhere, except for the big shop, so petrol bill has vastly reduced. I will say though, hubby had a very, very good pension pot, he’d worked for the same company for all his working life and paid into his pension since he was 18 and paid AVCs so was able to retire at 60 anyways, so only lost 3 years rather than 9 years. We have been very lucky and I don’t have any income of my own. I’m a kept woman!
Thankfully we paid our mortgage off this year, and as you say, expenses will be less when my wife isn’t commuting the 21 miles into work (at 42 miles per day that’s almost 1.5 gallons of diesel in our extravagant Ranger :rofl: ). I think priorities change as you get older too, “things” are no longer important, instead spending time with loved ones, walking and enjoying the countryside, gardening, hobbies, etc. After all we are right on the River Avon with loads of lovely countryside to wander over straight from our front door.

Back