Group 7-day waking average?

Good morning. Another grey day!

6.8 this morning with the wiggliest overnight line I have seen for a long long time! See what I mean about no patterns after a perfectly flat line the night before. 98% in range nevertheless.

@Grannylorraine super photos. Love the smoke effect. You looked stunning. I adored your daughter's dress - so beautiful as was she.

@colin hope you have recovered a bit from your fall. I know how disconcerting it can be. It has happened to me more than once. It sounds as though you may be suffering from vertigo. See https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/vertigo Do keep us informed what the Doctor says.

@Elenka_HM with my Tourism head on!

CORNWALL

First I must say that I live in West Cornwall and have little intimate knowledge of the Eastern part of the county (it's a very long thin county). I have lived here for 35 years and ran a hotel for 12 of those, so spent quite some time advising people on where to go/what to see in the area.

I wouldn't attempt to stay in Exeter in order to visit Cornwall - there's a fair chunk of Devon in between! Though Exeter itself is worth a couple of night's stay. Good shopping and restaurants in Exeter + easy access by train to the South Devon coast. The Eden project is fabulous, but not easy to access by public transport except from St Austell which is a rather uninteresting town. I think Colin is referring to The Lost Gardens of Heligan - rather than hanging gardens. Much the same situation applies there, the gardens are not easy to get to by public transport unless you stay in Mevagissey, which is a pretty harbour town but you'd have to get the train to St Austell and bus from there to Mevagissey and on to the Lost Gardens.

So, my recommendation would be to get the train to either Penzance, which is a direct line, or you could change at St Erth for the local line to St Ives - a pretty ride along the coast. Getting about by bus from either town is fairly easy (though there are probably more buses from Penzance) It's a long journey from anywhere to West Cornwall so allow most of a day to get here.

Places to see:
St Ives - the Tate Gallery (modern art)
Barbara Hepworth Museum. (sculpture)
Lots of little art galleries/restaurants/snack bars/tourist souvenir shops.
Gorgeous yellow sand beaches and a pretty harbour - could do the lot in a day. Personally I like to visit St Ives for the day and it's not over-run with tourists at this time of year.

Land's End and Sennen Cove - both accessible by bus. It's a nice ride, particularly along the rugged north coast https://www.firstbus.co.uk/adventures-bus/services/lands-end-coaster Although it says "Open top bus" I think the one they are using at present has a sort of half-cabin at the front of the upper deck where I would choose to sit cos it can get very cold on top of that bus!

St Michael's Mount. A castle on a small island, you can walk over the causeway at low tide, or get a small boat at high tide. It's set just off the nice little village of Marazion where there are plenty of cafes and pubs to get food and there's a yellow sand/pebble beach. Also a number of small art galleries. It's a steep climb up to the castle, but I am sure you would do it easily!

Buses from Penzance go regularly (every half hour) to/from St Ives, Truro (the County town), Marazion and Falmouth and the little harbour at Mousehole which is definitely worth a visit. A really pretty harbour and some walks. Once again plenty of little places to obtain snacks or meals and some art galleries/tourist knick-knack shops.

Penzance is very much a working town but quite picturesque in parts. There is the Exchange Gallery (an offshoot of the Newlyn Art Gallery) . Chapel street is a very nice street, crammed with craft shops, galleries, cafes and a couple of good pubs and The Egyptian House. My favourite pub is The Turks Head - my friend and I often lunch there.
There's also the iconic Jubilee pool which has a heated section for all year round use and the cafe there does super lunches.

Penzance has a youth hostel, but it's a bit out of town. I imagine you would find the walk easy enough. There are lots of rooms on Airbnb though. St Ives tends to be a bit more expensive although there are couple of hostels. Hard to find info on them without dates.

The Minack Theatre is worth a visit, though doesn't start performances until later in the year. You can visit and look around but again, I don't think there is public transport there.

Hope this helps but do get back to me with any questions.

Good morning everyone

BG 5.2 yessss!!! Can I have a castle please.

My daughter and family are coming to lunch today...yesss

I went to the church to set up the sound system this morning but forgot to take my glasses so I couldn't see anything. Aghhh. But somehow I managed.

My wife has made bread and has just infotmed me that it is done.....

5.0 for me this morning, pretty happy with that though it came after a disturbed night with weird dreams, too cold when I fell asleep but kicking the covers off by morning as I had set the heating to come on a little earlier for the child who gets up early, since it was so cold when I went to bed.... (Plus the outside temperature has increased a little.)

I'm going to be going on a walk this afternoon to do an Ingress banner for Second Sunday, was originally thinking car to the slightly further train station where the 2 lines meet so double the trains back (and less waiting), but on returning from church I managed to actually park outside my house, so now considering leaving the car there and walking to the nearest station so the car is by the house in the morning :rofl: given the weather forecast suggests that I would still be home before it rains tonight and it is likely to be raining in the morning....

(I was also wondering about vertigo @ColinUK - a colleague's husband has been struggling with that, but the treatment they eventually tried has worked)

@ColinUK i hope you get the appointment soon. Take care.

@Grannylorraine the photos are lovely and your daughter looked beautiful. In fact, you all did. I hope everything went ok and you all had a fantastic day.

@Gwynn congrats on the HS.

Think that’s a Lake District mountain! Think you mean Heligan and they’re lost, not hanging! 😛 Poor @Elenka_HM is on a train to Penrith as we speak!
Anything outside Zone 2 and I’m clueless.

I don’t think it’s vertigo. I certainly can’t hear Kim Novak’s voice when I feel like that. Or Jimmy Stewart’s either come to think of it.

@Gwynn, congratulations on your HS today! As we are doing a Cornwall day today for @Elenka_HM , here is St Michaels Mount for you
CDC85572-4479-4320-887C-C0B8F9221F61.jpeg

Anything outside Zone 2 and I’m clueless.
Don't you worry @eggyg . I've heard many good things about the Lake District too but that's a trip for a different occasion. I checked the hours by train to Penrith and I don't feel like it...😳

Good evening everyone. Waking reading...who cares at this time! Usual range for me.

Thanks for the suggestions for the trip. Unfortunately the dates are quite limited for me due to rail strikes, otherwise I could have an extra day or two. Will try to make the most of it. I also know a man in my town who will be happy I have some time to spare...gotta focus on the positives 😉

Back