Group 7-day waking average?

11.1 and an overnight headache. Chucked out lots of ‘naughty’ carbs last night although I don’t think I actually overdid it yesterday. I did at least do a BG prick before lunch and it was 5.9. Read an article last night about insulin and diabetes after pancreatic surgery and it said that people in that cohort need less injected insulin and often have hypos - is that your experience Type 3Cs? I think I have it in my head that eventually I’ll have to start using insulin so make the most of it now by eating all the sweet things (stupid) but maybe I can keep going with the third of my pancreas I’ve got left and just diet and metformin? I’ve started wearing my Fitbit again as had got very lazy so need to do some more conscientious walking. Have a good day everyone xxx
I didn’t start on insulin until 6.5 years after my op. I don’t have lots of hypos. As the years go on, your remaining third will atrophy ( like mine) and won’t provide much, if any insulin. The problem starting on insulin before that occurs, it will splutter some out then none for a few days and is quite difficult to control. I stated on a mixed insulin twice a day, just two units. My hba1c just kept getting higher instead of lower and I was changed to a MDI ( multi daily injections) and learned to count carbs. Obviously my teeny, weeny bit of pancreas had conked out by then! Unfortunately, at the moment the only way to control it is reducing your carbs and exercise. It’s tough being a Type 3c. But it will all work out in the end. I’m coming up to my 15 year anniversary of my operation and all is well (ish)!
😉

11.1 and an overnight headache. Chucked out lots of ‘naughty’ carbs last night although I don’t think I actually overdid it yesterday. I did at least do a BG prick before lunch and it was 5.9. Read an article last night about insulin and diabetes after pancreatic surgery and it said that people in that cohort need less injected insulin and often have hypos - is that your experience Type 3Cs? I think I have it in my head that eventually I’ll have to start using insulin so make the most of it now by eating all the sweet things (stupid) but maybe I can keep going with the third of my pancreas I’ve got left and just diet and metformin? I’ve started wearing my Fitbit again as had got very lazy so need to do some more conscientious walking. Have a good day everyone xxx
Surely eating the sweet things will be more ok on insulin as you'll be able to dose appropriately to prevent most high spikes?

Given you are 3c, I would be inclined to think that you may be better to eat normally and thus allow your team to work out if/when you need insulin based on your BG from eating how you want to continue eating. So not avoiding all treats or trying to use them up. If you only have 1/3 of your pancreas left then I would think that you are probably right you will need insulin, and IMO it wouldn't be a "failure" on your part to need to start giving your pancreas a helping hand on the insulin production. It may even help your remaining pancreas to keep going for longer if it doesn't have to produce all the insulin.

5.9 for me this morning. All wrapped up warm at the moment in one of those oversized fleecy hoodies but will have to change soon into decorating clothes and get on with that!

And it’s a 5.9 for me this grey day.

Now had a storm three nights on the trot, could do with a decent nights sleep, or at the very least a few hours.

Morning all. 🙂 8.2 here.

Got some friends staying from Oz atm. We see each other every 7 years or so when they come over to the UK to see family. They’re a good laugh. Wow, they can drink! And I used to drink like that too. 😱 I often think diabetes saved me from alcoholic oblivion, phew! 🙂 Off to Tenby today to find a big greasy breakfast (for them) to blast away their hangovers! Then, who knows...not the pub again plz. 😉

Last edited:
4.8 at 6am when I woke, decided to have another hour in bed which turned out to be 3!
At 9.05 was 5.2 does this count as a HS? 😉:rofl:
Will be playing catch up with housework all day now, one thing I dislike about sleeping in is the feeling of being late all day.
Hope everyone is having a good day

Had my eye test. Optician advised for my job I will be better getting varifocals, as correcting the distance vision with single vision glasses messes my close up focus up, and I need to switch between both while working. Which makes complete sense, rather than constantly moving glasses up or down (I don't really need reading glasses otherwise), but does also feel a little odd that I will go straight to those from not wearing glasses! I picked the middle option for quality rather than the best quality option they had for price reasons. I'll see how I get on with them when they arrive...
My varifocals (the first I’ve ever had) are not right. It’s either the position of the different refractive centres which is off or the pupillary distance which is out slightly.
Unfortunately I took way too long to take them back to the opticians.
I didn’t want to spend a fortune so opted for Asda and they were cheap, very cheap.
I’ll try another pair of varifocal but will go to Vision Express instead next time.

Hope you have a good experience with them and they’re right first time.

6.4 this morning and managed to track down a friend who’d gone silent after leaving work suddenly about 5 weeks ago.
No replies to texts or calls. Nothing. I knew he’d split with his long term girlfriend and moved somewhere else but didn’t know where. He’s been in hospital and him being him he didn’t want to trouble anyone so went silent.
He’s now staying with a mutual friend, her husband and their adorable dog not too far from here so we’re all meeting up next weekend hopefully.

Doctor Who was more entertaining that Strictly this week. What an odd theme and what peculiar choices of music to dance to.
Didn’t really feel the right person went either.

My varifocals (the first I’ve ever had) are not right. It’s either the position of the different refractive centres which is off or the pupillary distance which is out slightly.
I didn’t want to spend a fortune so opted for Asda and they were cheap, very cheap.
I’ll try another pair of varifocal but will go to Vision Express instead next time.

I hope so too. I went to Vision Express and I have 100 days once I get them to take them back if they aren't right

Morning all. Lovely sunny day again, just a spot of rain forecast for 4pm.

7.6 when I woke at 08:30, though it had been in the 9s earlier in the night, but I must have woken every hour nearly needing the loo. No idea why! Now dropped to a more reasonable 6.2.

Not much on today except a phone appointment with the pharmacist who works with the surgery between 2pm and 4pm for a review of my meds. I suspect it's been prompted by me sending an email saying it is ridiculous to be on Liothyronine at £100 every 28 days with no blood tests to see if it is working.

So hopefully will get the photobook finished. No need to prepare dinner as we have enough leftovers from yesterday.

I thought I saw someone sneak in with an HS, but can't find it now - congrats whoever it was though.

@42istheanswer reading between the lines is your optician at Specsavers? I think they are the only people I have ever come across who offer 3 different grades of varifocal. I have always gone for the most expensive as the difference IMHO is massive. If you do not feel happy with your glasses when you get them then ISTR Specsavers will change them if you complain within 3 weeks. I could be wrong so do check. What I normally do is get my eyes tested at Specsavers as they have the best equipment and then take the script to ASDA to fill as you get the best quality lenses at half the price.

I got mine from specsavers and were around £320.00 for two pairs BUT I did have my lenses made thinner 😉 thats the vanity in me I suppose.
It has taken me about 2-3weeks to get use to them but all good now. Just have to remember to move my head up/down/left/right and not just my eyes lol :rofl:
Good luck with yours 🙂

PS Just seen Colin's post re varifocals. I think it does depend on the person doing the measuring as to how well varifocals suit your particular vision. The woman at the ASDA in Cornwall seems very good as my glasses have always been good from there.

@42istheanswer reading between the lines is your optician at Specsavers? I think they are the only people I have ever come across who offer 3 different grades of varifocal. I have always gone for the most expensive as the difference IMHO is massive. If you do not feel happy with your glasses when you get them then ISTR Specsavers will change them if you complain within 3 weeks. I could be wrong so do check. What I normally do is get my eyes tested at Specsavers as they have the best equipment and then take the script to ASDA to fill as you get the best quality lenses at half the price.

I think you may have seen my reply to someone else now, but I went to Vision Express. I have used them for glasses for youngest for about 9 years, and they offered a Blue Light discount on buying glasses. I was told I have 100 days if I'm not happy with them.

I am in good company with Patti on 7.6 which included a little bit of DP.... up from 6.0 at 6am when I lazily rolled over and went back to sleep.
I had a total triumph over my diabetes yesterday. Didn't quite get a unicorn according to Libre 🙄 because it recorded 2 tiny dips into the red which I checked and both were actually above 4, but I did eat both a sweet mince pie (5.30pm) and then an Indian takeaway 3 hours later and I very much doubt my own pancreas in it's heyday could have done a better job than my manual impersonation...

IMG_20221024_091014598[1131].jpg

Feel like I am on a roll at the moment. Basal needs are staying the same and I have got the doses just right and managing my boluses really well even for tricky foods. Of course, I know it won't last, but just enjoying the moment! 😎:D Why can't it always be this rewarding (was going to say easy.... but I am still working quite hard to manage things.... (a bit like the proverbial swan paddling like mad under the surface) but you don't mind when it all pays off like it is at the moment. It's when you try your damndest and it kicks you in the teeth that it's really tough. More plain sailing for me please and of course my palls here too....

Surely eating the sweet things will be more ok on insulin as you'll be able to dose appropriately to prevent most high spikes?

Given you are 3c, I would be inclined to think that you may be better to eat normally and thus allow your team to work out if/when you need insulin based on your BG from eating how you want to continue eating. So not avoiding all treats or trying to use them up. If you only have 1/3 of your pancreas left then I would think that you are probably right you will need insulin, and IMO it wouldn't be a "failure" on your part to need to start giving your pancreas a helping hand on the insulin production. It may even help your remaining pancreas to keep going for longer if it doesn't have to produce all the insulin.
Actually my consultant who did the op did mention that it was better to start on insulin than live with badly managed diabetes. I had my annual check with the Diabetes team fixed for January and then got an email saying it had been moved to June - seems like rather a long break. I'll get in touch with the diabetic nurse at my surgery who seems very switched on and see what she suggests.

Read an article last night about insulin and diabetes after pancreatic surgery and it said that people in that cohort need less injected insulin and often have hypos - is that your experience Type 3Cs?
Hello @zippyjojo,
I can only speak for myself in any detail - but I have noticed that some T1s seem to use more insulin than I do. I had a total panc'y in Feb 2020.

I take 8.5-10 units of basal Tresiba daily, less in summer; increased from 9.5 to 10 this morning (modest tweak). My bolus is fairly varied because my eating pattern is varied: I have a noticeable carb ratio difference for breakfast and other meals - 1:8 breakfast, 1:10 others and on average perhaps 22-24 units needed just for 3 meals in a day. BUT those 22-24 units can be reduced a lot (up to 50%) if I'm very active. Corrections at 1:2 which my Endo describes as aggressive; I've twice tried softer corrections, which didn't work. Recently I've been doing a lot of corrections, during the day and last thing before bed; not quite sure why! From all of this variety I can't give you 'real' average bolus doses per day.

I used to have loads of hypos, but since Libre 2 these are much reduced and during 2022 I've not had a single deep (low 3s or into the 2s) hypo and only about 5 mild hypos (c.3.5); I get mild hypo symptoms with those. I have my low alarm set at 5.6 and pretty rigorously monitor once that alarm sounds. My BG can get towards 4, but no hypo symptoms. Since I'm retired I can make the time to stay on top of my BG when low, by extra snacks and / or pausing when active. This definitely is interfering with my lifestyle and at times makes me seem to my family as a bit obsessive; but I point out that they have not had the dubious pleasure of being hypo and they accept that reality.

Could you provide a link to the article, please? That asked, I'm not sure there is much point in getting too deeply involved in trying to compare T3c insulin needs with others. Not only are we 'all different', but as you neatly demonstrate you can be T3c yet only needing oral meds. Also, you have no spleen and need to take certain precautions, I have no panc'y and need to ALWAYS remember my Creon. Plus at 73 I'm increasingly stumbling through various minor ailments; however much I might deny I'm getting old, it is a futile denial.

Back