Group 7-day waking average?

@Pattidevans By far the most challenging slopes are in the Alps and I’d say the most challenging of those are in France.
There’s a reason why Val d’Isere/Tignes is regarded as one of the best skiing destinations in the world after all.

I liked skiing in Canada and the US but it’s a very different experience to alpine skiing.

I’d recommend places like Chamonix to people who aren’t sure if they’d like it or not because it’s a town first and foremost. It’s just that it’s a town surrounded by some of the most spectacular mountains around. So there’s lots to do if the snow doesn’t appeal.

Where in Canada and US have you skied?
When I first started in travel I hated booking ski holidays as it was the one time the customer usually knew more than the agent. Over time I became more proficient of course without ever setting foot on the white stuff. I always remember getting excited thinking there was a ski resort in France named after me. A quick flick through the brochure made Flaine look like Elaine! :rofl:

I’d recommend places like Chamonix to people who aren’t sure if they’d like it or not because it’s a town first and foremost. It’s just that it’s a town surrounded by some of the most spectacular mountains around. So there’s lots to do if the snow doesn’t appeal.

I think my skiing days are well over @ColinUK. Haven't been since I met hubby - so over 39 years ago.

In Canada it was a resort abour an hour away from Toronto. I was on a crew and we had a day off so most of the crew drove up on arrival the first night and stayed 2 nights at the resort. Honestly can't recall what it was called, but it was very tame (which probably suited me!). Then another time staying in Vancouver we went up to Whistler. I can't recall the place name in the USA either, it was north of NY. Exceedingly tame, the slopes went across the side of a smallish hill. You got the lift up to the top, skiied down about 300 yards and got the next lift across the hill and skiied down again, working your way across the hill, then came back the same way. The Sierra Nevada in Spain was treeless slopes, very peculiar... but I did enjoy the day we had a white-out and the holiday company organised a trip to Granada to see the Alhambra.... very spooky in winter!

By far the most challenging slopes are in the Alps and I’d say the most challenging of those are in France.
Might have to challenge you there Colin. Glenshee and Aviemore can both be VERY challenging, mostly due to weather and snow conditions 🙄! Great camaraderie though!!

Skiing has a lot to answer for. I met my husband on a skiing holiday.
I met Ian cabbage planting!! Wonder if that is where I went wrong and why there is so little romance involved 🙄

Skiing has a lot to answer for. I met my husband on a skiing holiday.
I’m saying nothing about pole planting technique.

I met Ian cabbage planting!! Wonder if that is where I went wrong and why there is so little romance involved 🙄
There’s such a thing as a sweetheart cabbage. Buy him one for Valentine’s Day to remind him of the day you met. 🙂 He’ll either throw it at you or think it’s the most romantic thing in the world.:rofl:

I know this isn’t my waking number but I’m just so happy with this
8F36D503-1BA1-4846-B152-3ADEC7DDF7E5.png

I haven’t a clue what you mean but I can only assume it’s a euphemism. 😳
It’s what you do with your ski poles.

And honestly Elaine, would I ever make a double entendre laden comment?!

@Pattidevans By far the most challenging slopes are in the Alps and I’d say the most challenging of those are in France.
There’s a reason why Val d’Isere/Tignes is regarded as one of the best skiing destinations in the world after all.

I liked skiing in Canada and the US but it’s a very different experience to alpine skiing.

My eldest granddaughter’s dad’s partner comes from Chamonix, her family still live there and apparently her brother is a champion skier. They keep saying they’ll take her one day but I’m not sure she fancies the skiing part! She’s like me, a scaredy-cat!

There’s such a thing as a sweetheart cabbage. Buy him one for Valentine’s Day to remind him of the day you met. 🙂 He’ll either throw it at you or think it’s the most romantic thing in the world.:rofl:
Actually, that is exactly what he does and to show you just how romantic he is .... if he goes into Tesco Express on a night and they have reduced bunches of flowers which have those decorative cabbages in the arrangement he extravagantly spends all of £1.00 or if they aren't reduced enough and he is feeling really generous £1.50 on a bouquet for me.... but if the latter, he does point out that he had to splash out and he never ever tries to hide the fact that they were reduced.... he is actually quite proud of his bargain and wants me to know it! Still it beats the bags of reduced vegetables that he sometimes turns up with, despite the fact I have a fridge full or the nets of reduced nuts in shells he bought me after Christmas which I am still slowly working my way though by cracking with a rolling pin or hammer because I don't have a nut cracker. Maybe I need to use a nut cracker or rolling pin on him. "Last of the big spenders" he is!! He wouldn't dream of buying me a bouquet (even from a supermarket) at full price, not even for a really special occasion like my birthday! And our first Valentines Day he took me to Harry Ramsdens for fish and chips. If I want to eat out somewhere even remotely nice, I'm afraid I will be paying and he will still complain about the price!
Just as well I am not high maintenance and can (sort of) see the funny side!

Actually, that is exactly what he does and to show you just how romantic he is .... if he goes into Tesco Express on a night and they have reduced bunches of flowers which have those decorative cabbages in the arrangement he extravagantly spends all of £1.00 or if they aren't reduced enough and he is feeling really generous £1.50 on a bouquet for me.... but if the latter, he does point out that he had to splash out and he never ever tries to hide the fact that they were reduced.... he is actually quite proud of his bargain and wants me to know it! Still it beats the bags of reduced vegetables that he sometimes turns up with, despite the fact I have a fridge full or the nets of reduced nuts in shells he bought me after Christmas which I am still slowly working my way though by cracking with a rolling pin or hammer because I don't have a nut cracker. Maybe I need to use a nut cracker or rolling pin on him. "Last of the big spenders" he is!! He wouldn't dream of buying me a bouquet (even from a supermarket) at full price, not even for a really special occasion like my birthday! And our first Valentines Day he took me to Harry Ramsdens for fish and chips. If I want to eat out somewhere even remotely nice, I'm afraid I will be paying and he will still complain about the price!
Ishowed this post to OH, his reply was "A whole pound! £1.50!!!" , voice rising to an incredulous squeak. OH's limit on reduced flowers from Morrisons is 75p!

Ishowed this post to OH, his reply was "A whole pound! £1.50!!!" , voice rising to an incredulous squeak. OH's limit on reduced flowers from Morrisons is 75p!

Oh Wow! I never imagined he could have a twin brother somewhere! And especially one who has it off to a finer art and is also proud of the ability!
Is your man a proud Yorkshireman by any chance? Mine doesn't have that excuse, but I imagine there will be Scots in his blood. They are known for being "canny".
To be fair, I like a bargain too but it would be nice to feel special and treated occasionally!

Good afternoon, my earlier post seems to have got lost in the ether. Nevermind it was a 6.1 for me. Basal reductions on an almost daily basis at the moment.

Supposed to be doing an outdoor photoshoot tomorrow. I hope the weather picks up otherwise we're going indoors in a grimly industrial fashion.

Have a good day everyone.

Mr Eggy can be romantic but after 46 years I’m not too bothered. Every Valentines Day he says the same thing. “ I don’t need a special day to tell you I love you”! And he’s right, you should say it everyday, and we do, just before we go to sleep. Ahhh!!! Pass the sick bucket! :rofl:

Back