Group 7-day waking average?

5.1 for me on this cold, wet and miserable Berkshire morning. Light rain when we headed off for our morning walk to Morrisons to get a paper, chucking it down on the way back, so got drenched and were glad to get back indoors.

Got a text from my daughter yesterday to say she's going to be a contestant on The Chase, filming next Wednesday and airing in October. She says she's spending the next few days brushing up on her general knowledge.

@Michael12421 - Hope you feel better soon
@ColinUK - Sorry to hear your sad news, and I got an email yesterday to say that a former colleague, who I'd worked with for 20-odd years, has died from a massive stroke.
@Lily123 & @Sitosea congrats on the House Specials
My daughter was on The Chase a few years ago. It was very exciting. She was up against Ann ( The Governess) and went for the big money, she didn’t win but it was very close. Both Ann and Brad congratulated her on a good game. She was only 24 at the time. When it aired we had the whole family round and had pizza. I recorded it of course and we still watch it now and again. She was amazing and came across very confident. I was very proud of her as she travelled down all by her self, even though I offered to go with her. Fishers crossed for your daughter, let us know the exact date it’s on and I’ll tune in.

Good morning everyone 🙂 at 8:18 my BG was a massive 17.9!! 7.9mmols above target. Reason I wonder if it's because I felt so sickly around 1am ish this morning and was a teeny bit sick. Thankfully apart from the shock of seeing my BG on waking I feel good again this morning 🙂. 11.0u tresiba done. 3.5u correction.

Edit at 10:24
9:40 before breakfast BG 11.2 and checked my ketones which were 0.0

Last edited:
I’m with your kids, Switzerland all the way. I never, ever want to become a burden to my children.
It worries me, though, that my parents were all for me having a career, and being an independent woman etc etc, but the moment they needed help, they expected me to do the dutiful daughter bit, or at least to conjure a suitable unmarried relative out of thin air for them . (they came from the era where there was always a spare unmarried female in the family who was grateful for a home while looking after an elderly relative. All a bit Jane Austen) Does something change when you get old, and will I notice it in time to stop me being a burden?

It worries me, though, that my parents were all for me having a career, and being an independent woman etc etc, but the moment they needed help, they expected me to do the dutiful daughter bit, or at least to conjure a suitable unmarried relative out of thin air for them . (they came from the era where there was always a spare unmarried female in the family who was grateful for a home while looking after an elderly relative. All a bit Jane Austen) Does something change when you get old, and will I notice it in time to stop me being a burden?
I must admit I say things like “ I’ll never be like that etc etc” but as you say, how do you know? I’ve already felt old this week, firstly, an invite ( all stiff card and gold lettering) arrived for me to attend a coffee morning at a nearby retirement apartment block ( one bedroom apartments from £230k) meeting area, games, coffee lounge, beauty salon , blah blah blah, kill me now!
Then a letter from a funeral service offering me a simple funeral from only £1559! They pick me up ( when I’m dead I hope) drive me to their own crematorium and burn me without all the fuss and faff! I’m not quite 62 yet! 😱 I’m going for a lie down in my bath chair with a tartan rug over my knees now.:rofl:

I must admit I say things like “ I’ll never be like that etc etc” but as you say, how do you know? I’ve already felt old this week, firstly, an invite ( all stiff card and gold lettering) arrived for me to attend a coffee morning at a nearby retirement apartment block ( one bedroom apartments from £230k) meeting area, games, coffee lounge, beauty salon , blah blah blah, kill me now!
Then a letter from a funeral service offering me a simple funeral from only £1559! They pick me up ( when I’m dead I hope) drive me to their own crematorium and burn me without all the fuss and faff! I’m not quite 62 yet! 😱 I’m going for a lie down in my bath chair with a tartan rug over my knees now.:rofl:
Oh you too, and you’re a Spring Chicken compared with me! I’m bombarded with bumph from Direct Funerals, offering to post my ashes to my next of kin, and all the new sheltered housing full of pictures of people looking bored stiff, plus Estate Agents wanting to flog the house for me! And one of the research survey thingys on this forum ruled me out because at my age I wouldnt be able do the physical activities required.

I think, hope, that the way to avoid being a burden is to sort out one's affairs before hitting the decline. My parents didn't and made 88 and 99 respectively. Sorting them out nearly drove me to despair.

Despite being relatively well off they expected me to sort all their difficulties for them but then rejected the solutions and required me to do whatever was necessary without payment and with perpetual complaint. They left my second house, in which Mother was living before being admitted to a care home, stuffed with stuff, un-let-able/unsaleable and played merry Hell, on the pretext that she might want to move back in, when I emptied it. Try explaining that paying an additional £2000 a year Council tax was impinging on saving for my own retirement, a financial black hole after being a single parent from daughters 10th year, providing for 2 degrees and horses (well, she was entitled to some fun surely?).

So what did I learn from that? Minimize and organize. Having eventually disposed of all their stuff (sale/charity/dump) I determined not to leave my daughter with a similar problem and got stuck in to disposing of everything inessential, filed a copy of a power of attorney, my will, all insurance documents in one red folder, and guarantees/instructions for all appliances into other labelled box files. Blitzed the accounts so that it is clear what is paid, when and has been. Found a gardener and plan on getting a cleaner when the vacuum cleaner gets too heavy. Briefed younger friend to keep an eye/ear on my progress - he has offered to shoot me if I start discussing my bowels - a topic which seems to obsess the elderly in decline...Since he is a rotten shot I have made other arrangements if it all gets a bit much.

Meanwhile at 75 I am planning on enjoying my own life as long as I can without impinging on others. With any luck (and continuing access to steroids) I might get another 10 years of mischief before its time for the single malt and pills. Now, back to rightmove, has anyone seen a watermill which needs restoring? I've always fancied renovating one of those for my final home - although my input will necessarily be restricted to sorting the paperwork rather than mixing the cement. Bungalows are boring...

I think, hope, that the way to avoid being a burden is to sort out one's affairs before hitting the decline. My parents didn't and made 88 and 99 respectively. Sorting them out nearly drove me to despair.

Despite being relatively well off they expected me to sort all their difficulties for them but then rejected the solutions and required me to do whatever was necessary without payment and with perpetual complaint. They left my second house, in which Mother was living before being admitted to a care home, stuffed with stuff, un-let-able/unsaleable and played merry Hell, on the pretext that she might want to move back in, when I emptied it. Try explaining that paying an additional £2000 a year Council tax was impinging on saving for my own retirement, a financial black hole after being a single parent from daughters 10th year, providing for 2 degrees and horses (well, she was entitled to some fun surely?).

So what did I learn from that? Minimize and organize. Having eventually disposed of all their stuff (sale/charity/dump) I determined not to leave my daughter with a similar problem and got stuck in to disposing of everything inessential, filed a copy of a power of attorney, my will, all insurance documents in one red folder, and guarantees/instructions for all appliances into other labelled box files. Blitzed the accounts so that it is clear what is paid, when and has been. Found a gardener and plan on getting a cleaner when the vacuum cleaner gets too heavy. Briefed younger friend to keep an eye/ear on my progress - he has offered to shoot me if I start discussing my bowels - a topic which seems to obsess the elderly in decline...Since he is a rotten shot I have made other arrangements if it all gets a bit much.

Meanwhile at 75 I am planning on enjoying my own life as long as I can without impinging on others. With any luck (and continuing access to steroids) I might get another 10 years of mischief before its time for the single malt and pills. Now, back to rightmove, has anyone seen a watermill which needs restoring? I've always fancied renovating one of those for my final home - although my input will necessarily be restricted to sorting the paperwork rather than mixing the cement. Bungalows are boring...
I think (hope!) that having gone through it with our own parents, we will be more aware of the need to sort ourselves out while still able. I’m currently doing my annual paperwork and general household sort-out, so it doesn’t accumulate, but while I'm living in a house with plenty of storage, there is always the temptation to shove things back in the cupboards 'in case they come in useful'. One day OH and I will look at the garden and say, we can’t manage this, we need to move, I can only hope we time it right.

Morning all.

Surprisingly only 5.3 this morning, following a right hoo ha with a pod that ceased all communication with the PDM just as I was about to eat a late dinner. It would be risotto of course. So I ate 3 forkfuls with no insulin and spent over an hour on the phone to their support line. The risotto is still in the fridge for lunch today. Finally got a new pod on, settled down to watch a bit of TV before bed... and at 1:30 this horrendous siren went off. Hubby and I spent abut half an hour trying to find where the hideous screeching was coming from... poking the 3 wired in smoke alarms and shaking the carbon dioxide monitor before we discovered it was the discarded pod making the noise. Another phone call to support who must have thought we were excessively dim as neither of us could find the little hole to poke the back of an earring into. Mind you, with that noise going on it was hard to think! Got to bed at 2:45.

Well, at least we have no children to burden in our decline, but I feel sorry for the executor of our wills (my god daughter) as the loft is stuffed with boxes we’ve not even opened since moving here 4.5 years ago. I must do more nagging for hubby to get them down so we can dispose of the contents. This conversation does make me think though... it gets closer for me at 75. The friend I had lunch with yesterday was talking about putting arrangements in place for her funeral. GAH! On the bright side, the house got cleaned from top to bottom on Monday, much as I loathe housework it does sparkle.

@ColinUK sorry to hear about your friend’s mum. Doesn’t matter how old you are, it’s hard to lose a parent.

@Lily123 and @Sitosea congrats on the HS.

@Lucyr hope the ABs are beginning to kick in now.

6.5 for me this morning and no trips into the red but I did need a 1.5 unit correction at bedtime as levels were on their way up to 10 after eating too many roasted peanuts. Those big Lidl bags of them are just no good for me as I start and can't stop. Prevented any chance of a hat trick nocturnal hypo though :D 😎

Congrats to @Lily123 and @Sitosea on your House Specials this morning.

@Michael12421 Hope you are feeling better this morning and whatever caused your gastric upset has gone. Make sure to keep well hydrated as that is really important with illness and diabetes.

@Pattidevans I have read of other people having the same manic search for the source of the alarm with the pod after it has been disposed of. Must have been quite shocking to wake up in the depths of the night to it. Hope the new pod behaves. Not sure you are selling the concept of pumps to me just now.... failure/alarms/nocturnal hypos etc....
Not had a peep out of my insulin pens and they sleep quietly under my pillow every night ready for use when the alarm clock goes off in the morning. 😉

Wasn't going to participate in the maudlin conversations about preparing for the end!! I am an inveterate hoarder and no kids, so might just be best to torch the house when I die with me in it and save on clearance and cremation!! o_O

Try roasting the sprouts maybe.
200 degrees
Oven tray, oiled. Brussels trimmed and halved. Cut side down. Bit more oil over the top. Salt. 20/25 minutes. Don’t shake or move then whilst they’re roasting.
The airfryer roasts the veg fine and I mix them all in olive oil and spices prob is I love sprouts it's just the farting that's the only negative .

I totally agree. When Mr Eggy had his 6th heart attack, at age 57, we thought we’d better get cracking. We had already retired after HA no:2. Wills made and we now have POA in place, not yet activated! Insurance policies filed all together. Mortgage paid off and deeds also filed. We don’t want to leave any financial problems for our children. We’re “only” 61 and apart from chronic conditions we’re quite fit. Hubby can still garden ( he had a super duper new procedure in 2018 and he’s almost fixed, sort of, well still only firing on two cylinders), fix household goods, decorate, walk for miles. I can walk for miles and watch him garden/fix things/decorate! 😉 We live everyday as if it’s our last and our three daughters and five grandchildren encourage us to go on holiday and buy nice things. We’re SKIERS! Spending kids inheritance!🙂 We’re hoping we’ve quite a few years left, if we don’t, we’ve had an amazing time.

I didn't know that sprouts suffered from wind. Poor things!

6.5 for me this morning and no trips into the red but I did need a 1.5 unit correction at bedtime as levels were on their way up to 10 after eating too many roasted peanuts. Those big Lidl bags of them are just no good for me as I start and can't stop. Prevented any chance of a hat trick nocturnal hypo though :D 😎

Congrats to @Lily123 and @Sitosea on your House Specials this morning.

@Michael12421 Hope you are feeling better this morning and whatever caused your gastric upset has gone. Make sure to keep well hydrated as that is really important with illness and diabetes.

@Pattidevans I have read of other people having the same manic search for the source of the alarm with the pod after it has been disposed of. Must have been quite shocking to wake up in the depths of the night to it. Hope the new pod behaves. Not sure you are selling the concept of pumps to me just now.... failure/alarms/nocturnal hypos etc....
Not had a peep out of my insulin pens and they sleep quietly under my pillow every night ready for use when the alarm clock goes off in the morning. 😉

Wasn't going to participate in the maudlin conversations about preparing for the end!! I am an inveterate hoarder and no kids, so might just be best to torch the house when I die with me in it and save on clearance and cremation!! o_O
I think that’s a splendid idea. I don’t want a funeral, just shove me in the compost heap but apparently that’s not allowed, so I’ll leave my body to science and all those medical students can scratch their heads whilst looking for my pancreas, spleen and gallbladder! When you’re dead you’re dead. I don’t find it maudlin now, there was a time when both of us thought we were gonners so we are quite happy to crack jokes about it now.

Good afternoon! 6'6 a few hours ago.

I don’t want a funeral, just shove me in the compost heap
I would leave this choice to the ones I leave behind, as I won't care at all once I am dead. I wonder who that might be. Don't plan on having kids, maybe I'll get to be the rich eccentric auntie someday, or get myself a younger lover when I get old... 😎 Life is full of surprises though, and I'm in my twenties so hopefully I don't have to worry about that for a long long time!

Not had a peep out of my insulin pens and they sleep quietly under my pillow every night ready for use when the alarm clock goes off in the morning.
To be fair, I wasn't in bed, just sat watching TV and about to turn it off to go to bed. I've not experienced anything like it at all on the Combo pump.

To be fair, I wasn't in bed, just sat watching TV and about to turn it off to go to bed. I've not experienced anything like it at all on the Combo pump.
I'm sure you know I am just jesting with you Patti. The pod will no doubt be brilliant once you get over the teething problems and fully set to your body's needs at least until they change and you have to tweak it again. 🙄
I'm still happy to stick with my pens for now though!

I'm organised as in there is a document with a list of essential phone numbers for the kids and they know my wishes on funeral stuff and organ donation. (basically don't be wasting any money on fancy funeral, do whatever's cheapest, donate what you can of me to help others if possible).
All documents are in one location (we all have a dedicated folder in my office) and I have a super secret file where they can gain into my online accounts. The amount of folks I know have lost a family member and couldn't get into the accounts to pull photos or access contact lists to make sure everyone was informed. Just another later of preparedness in this digital age.

I started watching "ask a mortician" on youtube and really got into her content. She is definitely on a mission to normalize discussing death and dealing with it should it happen to someone close.
It defo encouraged me to have conversations with the kids about it all and I'm glad we have had them.

Also I keep getting the retirement village / funeral plans stuff in the door...I'm 42 🙄

We definitely went a bit off topic here but has been an interesting read 🙂

Oh and in the spirit of staying on topic, struggled to get down to 13 by lunchtime and now I've dropped way down into the 7s. Body is just doing what it wants, when it wants it seems :rofl:

Congrats to @Lily123 and @Sitosea on your HS.

On the subject of getting old, mum and stepdad are mid 80s. Stepdad is deaf, almost no vision and has dementia. Mum has to look after him and she's not well herself having had 2 TIAs and is not able to get around/walk easily. We do what we can but working full time makes it hard. She has a cleaner but can't get any other help because 'he's not bad enough'. I'm really noticing how mum is aging now. She can't cope with any sort of technology, often deleting number/s from her mobile accidentally and not knowing how to put them back on. Its sad to see a couple who have had a decent retirement suddenly grow old.

Back