Group 7-day waking average?

6.6 for me this morning but that was following a 1.5 correction to bring me down from 9.8 earlier and I had been at the high end of my range all night.

Went to a lovely event last night at a local National Trust property where they have set up a trail of Christmas lights in the grounds. It was absolutely spectacular with many of the displays projected onto old gnarly tree trunks and stumps. And some of them were interactive There were really amazing and dramatic light effects and the music was lovely and there were lots of little pop up food and drink stalls for people along the way and at the end a very traditional little fairground for the kids young and "old". My sister and I couldn't resist having a go on the Helter Skelter which was certainly a good way to warm up on a cold winter's evening after walking around the Trail. My sister's friends could not be tempted to join us and when we came back after our 2 giggling ascents and descents, they said "And what do you two want to be when you grow up?" And we both replied in unison (as we so often do).... "Sisters" and gave each other a big hug! If anyone is in the North East, the Gibside Light Trail is well worth a visit. I believe you have to book.
Out for my second Christmas do tonight and I'm delighted to hear @eggyg that it will be safe because we will be in a pub. 😉 I don't imagine it will be as well organized and segregated as the Chinese restaurant the other night and must confess I am a little apprehensive about going, not so much for my own health but the implications of having to isolate if I got it and who would look after my animals.

@Kaylz Now you have me worried again. I really wish Bruce had made a special trip to the pharmacy for you to get your stuff and return it to you before going to his parents.... then at least there would be a little time left in the day to try to resolve it, if, heaven forbid, they have made another mistake. Also of course it means that you will be incredibly anxious all day waiting until you get them. Sending (((HUGS))) and sharing your stress, just thinking about it. o_O

@eggyg How totally heartbreaking! Maybe write that you have lain awake half the night thinking of your friend and trying to find the words to provide some comfort, but that nothing seemed appropriate or adequate, so just sending your love. Whatever you write will be from the heart because you are such a genuine loving person and your friend will know that because she is your friend.

Bit of a muddle this morning as woke up hungry in early hours and had something to eat, then woke at 5.45am so did BG then - 6.8 at 5.50am. Hunger hit again and I had some breakfast biscuits and got a reading of 7.1 at 9.57. I've been besieged by itchy fore-arms which was what first woke me up. It keeps happening, common denominator seemed to be the sweetener I use in my drinks, though I've used it for years in my coffee, so I bought a totally different one (stevia leaf as opposed to sucralose) - guess it isn't that then! Now I'm noting if it is from too low carbs or perhaps wheatgerm - it's like being a detective trying to work this problem out. If push comes to shove I'll go see Dr. I am prone to food allergies and intolerances, but not had itchiness before diabetes entered my life. Mystery!
Really really really must catch up on wrapping today - only 4 days to (kind of) son-in-laws birthday, one week to son's birthday, then Christmas followed by the dog's 10th birthday on Boxing day ... and not a cake in sight! lol
Have a good weekend all, enjoy what comes your way and I hope you find something that brings a smile 🙂

@mum2westiesGill
I am certain you are right. Baileys and port both bump my BG up significantly and I don't get any alcohol lowering effect, so I never take carbs with alcohol. I understand why you had the biscuits at bedtime but you clearly didn't need those either.
Having said that, it looks like you managed it pretty well with your correction. Still a little bit high on waking but that correction might have still had a little bit of life left in it to bring you down a bit more and it is good that you weren't tempted to do another correction.
All you can do is learn from that situation and make a better decisions as regards the Baileys and biscuits next time.

@mum2westiesGill
I am certain you are right. Baileys and port both bump my BG up significantly and I don't get any alcohol lowering effect, so I never take carbs with alcohol. I understand why you had the biscuits at bedtime but you clearly didn't need those either.
Having said that, it looks like you managed it pretty well with your correction. Still a little bit high on waking but that correction might have still had a little bit of life left in it to bring you down a bit more and it is good that you weren't tempted to do another correction.
All you can do is learn from that situation and make a better decisions as regards the Baileys and biscuits next time.
Thank you so much for your brilliant feedback. I ummd and arghd about the biscuits at bedtime and I ummd and arghd about doing the correction at 4 in the morning and after alcohol but with my BG being so high I took the chance. The only other correction I did was the advised one at breakfast time but that was a good 5 hours later whereas the waking if I'd done that would only have been 3 hours after the previous correction. If I do have any more baileys it will just be 1 shot glass instead of 3.

Do you still have baileys and port?

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your brilliant feedback. I ummd and arghd about the biscuits at bedtime and I ummd and arghd about doing the correction at 4 in the morning and after alcohol but with my BG being so high I took the chance. The only other correction I did was the advised one at breakfast time but that was a good 5 hours later whereas the waking if I'd done that would only have been 3 hours after the previous correction. If I do have any more baileys it will just be 1 shot glass instead of 3.

Something like Baileys is going to be about 11g carb per 50 ml so it rather depends on how much your shot glass held as to how much carb you had for your 3 drinks.

I can take or leave the Baileys so I won't be buying any more of that.... Only recently bought the bottle and only had two glasses out of it, so probably a few more experiments to carry out yet to use it up but I do love a port with my cheese on an evening so I limit it to 1 small glass and I am starting to bolus for it, but as you know I don't worry about going to bed with a small amount of active insulin on board and my levels usually rise on an evening at the moment and so I need a correction anyway, so I can add the unit for the port on to the correction.

I think your decision to limit it to just one shot Bailey's is a wise one and see how you go with that without bolus.

(wups, late posting)
Absolutely amazed with 9.2 on the meter.

No metformin this weekend so last dose was Thursday night. Got prescribed omeprazole to help calm things down and reintroduce metformin on Monday with one tablet, building up again.
Tummy yesterday was feeling much better but still looked pregnant with all the bloating. Today most of that has gone 🙂
Guess that answers the question of which med was aggravating it.

I haven’t tried the loopy juice yet but Coke Zero says no carbs sugars or anything but a pint of it threw BG skywards. Perhaps all the additional bits they put in to give it taste.
13D2E9E2-1584-4DF8-92F2-62DEB1519F3A.pngFDB77E4A-473F-468C-993A-C463E0A80351.pngA49678CA-E0D0-49C1-AA01-F2825EF5B014.png7F358470-BDD0-4C26-B178-ADC4C09DA34F.png

@Kaylz Now you have me worried again. I really wish Bruce had made a special trip to the pharmacy for you to get your stuff and return it to you before going to his parents.... then at least there would be a little time left in the day to try to resolve it, if, heaven forbid, they have made another mistake. Also of course it means that you will be incredibly anxious all day waiting until you get them. Sending (((HUGS))) and sharing your stress, just thinking about it. o_O
He might've if I'd asked him but I wouldn't, it's absolutely baltic and even if it was better weather I wouldn't ask him to walk half way up the town, back down plus a little more and then go all the way back up and further to his mum and dad's at the outskirts of the other end of town, plus his dad is usually back out to work in the afternoon so only a wee gap to catch dinner with him xx

Ever so late today. Up early to a dark, drizzly and miserable day after a mainly sleepless night. Couldn't test at waking as I had to start the new sensor. At 8 am I was 8.2 which dropped steeply to 4.8 at 09.34 when I had a slice of toast (15g carb). Went to ASDA which is a 1 hr 10 min drive as I had an appointment with the Opticians dept to choose new specs. We took hot coffees in our new thermal mugs with us and a couple of egg mayo sandwiches. Glad we did! Coffee was still hot at gone 1pm when we came out back into the car park and very welcome indeed. Anyway 2 pairs new all singing and dancing varifocal/photochromatic spectacles in lovely frames for £248.. whereas Specsavers wanted £276 for one pair in pedestrian frames. Dropped the car off at home and got the bus into town to meet friends. Home now and I could sleep standing up! Still 88% in target but a very jiggly line!

@Kaylz I do hope you are finally sorted!

@DuncanLord make sure they serve your coke in a bottle you have seen them open! Often bar staff do not realise how serious it is to serve the stuff out of those pumps, which can be contaminated by the last drink served if it was full sugar.

@rebrascora remember what you said to me about experimenting with dosing? Applies to Bailey's too!

Ever so late today. Up early to a dark, drizzly and miserable day after a mainly sleepless night. Couldn't test at waking as I had to start the new sensor. At 8 am I was 8.2 which dropped steeply to 4.8 at 09.34 when I had a slice of toast (15g carb). Went to ASDA which is a 1 hr 10 min drive as I had an appointment with the Opticians dept to choose new specs. We took hot coffees in our new thermal mugs with us and a couple of egg mayo sandwiches. Glad we did! Coffee was still hot at gone 1pm when we came out back into the car park and very welcome indeed. Anyway 2 pairs new all singing and dancing varifocal/photochromatic spectacles in lovely frames for £248.. whereas Specsavers wanted £276 for one pair in pedestrian frames. Dropped the car off at home and got the bus into town to meet friends. Home now and I could sleep standing up! Still 88% in target but a very jiggly line!

@Kaylz I do hope you are finally sorted!

@DuncanLord make sure they serve your coke in a bottle you have seen them open! Often bar staff do not realise how serious it is to serve the stuff out of those pumps, which can be contaminated by the last drink served if it was full sugar.

@rebrascora remember what you said to me about experimenting with dosing? Applies to Bailey's too!
It was a bottle of Coke Zero bought from Tesco’s. Perhaps it’s that I’m over sensitivity to the sweetners added or it could have just been one of those orbital events. Might try again in total moderation.
Thanks for the tip about watching in pubs Etc as I hadn’t thought of that.

Yes Patti, I will be doing lots more experimenting until this bottle is empty because I hate to waste anything but my tastes have changed and Bailey's is now just too sweet for me. I was kind of thinking I could have it in my coffee when I ran out of fresh cream but probably shouldn't step onto that potentially slippery slope of having alcohol before the sun comes over the yard arm and usually have coffee at breakfast!! It might have been quite nice to have one tonight as a night cap but with my levels in the mid teens again after eating out and 2 stacked corrections in there, I couldn't possibly have any now. Maybe I should keep the bottle by the bed and have a swig if my levels drop low through the night 😱 (just kidding guys). Somehow I think it is going to be a long night of high levels again!

I did really enjoy my meal and ate every last scrap of every course and it is the first meal where I haven't made any adjustment for my diabetes.... well apart from choosing a cheese board instead of a pudding. I had intended not to eat the bread with the pate and only to eat a small portion of the mashed potato with the slow cooked steak, but my levels were dropping low when I got there so thought I would just go for it. They continued to drop after the starter so jabbed the insulin for all the main course in my thigh but then they took off into orbit once the bread and mash hit my blood stream. The crackers and grapes all got eaten with the cheese and I jabbed myself in the arm for the first time ever in the hope it would bring me down quicker than the only other accessible place which was my thigh, but it didn't. Had a second jab in the arm correction before I left when I topped out at 15.5 which is marginally better than Thursday night but this eating out lark definitely needs more practice!
My Fiasp consumption has more than trebled this week as a result of eating out twice!! No more till Christmas day now and it will probably take me that long to get levels and diet stable again but had a good night and came home with some vanilla candles (ideal if we get another storm!), a box of Bayliss and Harding handcare products and a rather wiggly craftsman whittled wooden porridge spoon which I am really chuffed with, from the auctions and raffle that were held after the meal. It was a really good night!

Good morning everyone. First up. Yesss. Little things make me happy.

Lazy day yesterday. A bit tired and it was too cold to get out walking....

However, BG this morning 4.9 weight down to just below goal.

I will be attempting to move the new kitchen cupboard thing into place this morning, buy, my, it seems very heavy.

I hope it is warmer today as Indo want to get out on the beach.

Morning All
Been up since about 3am after going to sleep early on 10.7.
greeted by a 17.4 and dropped to 15.4 on last check.
Back on metformin tomorrow and hope my tummy doesn't complain too much.

Morning
6.1 Yay me!
Tai Chi this morning.
I will be at one with the Universe. Ish ...

So the electrician turned up yesterday 3 hours late of course.
He’s supposedly returning today but was talking yesterday about maybe coming back next weekend instead so who knows what’s in his mind apart from fluff.
Cooker installed and other bits done. Only slight fly in the ointment is that the oven door handle fouls on the wall so you can’t open the door fully. Oops.

5.8 this morning.

Back