Group 7-day waking average?

I remember my mum's corned beef legs 😱🙂
Love an open fire, nothing to beats it However as a youngster one of my jobs was to clean the grate and lay the fire in the morning so it was ready to light for in the evening. I absolutely hated that job.
I hated having to fetch the coal up from the cellar as a 6 year old! 😱 Very dark and spooky down there! 😱

I hated having to fetch the coal up from the cellar as a 6 year old! 😱 Very dark and spooky down there! 😱
Now that was spooky.
We had a coal bunker outside, it was freeezing o_O

7.6 @ 9.53am. Not bad after yesterdays' shenanigans. Got to be good today.

There were days when the fire just wouldn't light. Didn't make any difference how much sugar you threw on or how clever you were with a double page of newspaper and a shovel. o_O

There were days when the fire just wouldn't light. Didn't make any difference how much sugar you threw on or how clever you were with a double page of newspaper and a shovel. o_O
Reminiscent of my younger days too Ditto ~ I'd help mum by folding pages of the newspaper into strips then tied these into loose knots ~ then we criss~crossed kindle wood or twigs from our trees on top of that lot ~ then we'd place some of yesterdays burnt coal that looked like coke on top and a little lard ~ then we'd add a few small pieces of coal and light the paper. Once the paper lit the twigs or wood ~ like you Ditto mum would place a hand shovel on the front of the grate and cover it with a couple of pages of newspaper ~ and woohoo fire lit:D Then we added more pieces of coal. My mum dad & I would sit around the fire watching the *fairies* in the flames 🙄 Happy memories:D x

We had to save the cinders for my Da to make a path. 🙂 The thing I had forgotten with a coal fire is the smell. We went on a vintage train on holiday in Devon I think it was and they had a coal fire in the waiting room all authentic. Fabulous. The smell made me reel with the memory. I'd completely forgotten. We bought the bundles of wood from the corner shop and when Mum made toffee apples on Bonfire Night she used the sticks for handles. Really thick handles and chewy treacle. I wish someone would invent a time machine I'd like to dip back occasionally just for the good bits. :D

We had to save the cinders for my Da to make a path. 🙂 The thing I had forgotten with a coal fire is the smell. We went on a vintage train on holiday in Devon I think it was and they had a coal fire in the waiting room all authentic. Fabulous. The smell made me reel with the memory. I'd completely forgotten. We bought the bundles of wood from the corner shop and when Mum made toffee apples on Bonfire Night she used the sticks for handles. Really thick handles and chewy treacle. I wish someone would invent a time machine I'd like to dip back occasionally just for the good bits. :D
Oh yes I remember the waiting room coal fires ~ nice & cosy ~ and I loved the smell of the steam engines too ~ my dad would take me to thank the engine driver at the end of each of our journeys who would give me a silver sixpence for saying thank you. Dem were the days ~ gosh never thought I'd reach the age to be reminiscing about steam engines!!! I feel quite ancient now😱😱

Last edited:
Now that was spooky.
We had a coal bunker outside, it was freeezing o_O
And slaters running over burning coals

then you had to throw salt up the lum if it caught fire. Got charged by fire brigade if hadn't had lum swept. Plain bread toasted over hot coals...oh my

can't believe it. Eaten well today and BG 7.8 before tea. Will be interested to see in 2 hours. Had pasta(light on amount) mushrooms, garlic, green beans, creamed freche and st agar cheese. Mmmm, yummy but quite salty. Fruit tea and feet up to watch tv. Recipe for zzzz. Hope everyone has had a good day

I remember my mum's corned beef legs 😱🙂
Love an open fire, nothing to beats it However as a youngster one of my jobs was to clean the grate and lay the fire in the morning so it was ready to light for in the evening. I absolutely hated that job.
Cleaned the grate for the first time yesterday...urghhhhhhhhhh...no idea how I made such a hash of it...soot all over the hearth...possibly a little too enthusiastic😱.

Reminiscent of my younger days too Ditto ~ I'd help mum by folding pages of the newspaper into strips then tied these into loose knots ~ then we criss~crossed kindle wood or twigs from our trees on top of that lot ~ then we'd place some of yesterdays burnt coal that looked like coke on top and a little lard ~ then we'd add a few small pieces of coal and light the paper. Once the paper lit the twigs or wood ~ like you Ditto mum would place a hand shovel on the front of the grate and cover it with a couple of pages of newspaper ~ and woohoo fire lit:D Then we added more pieces of coal. My mum dad & I would sit around the fire watching the *fairies* in the flames 🙄 Happy memories:D x
I sat there & watching the same WL...fast asleep in two minutes...didn't wake up until 1am.

Good morning. Am happy with 5.9 after a 2.9 at midnight that just didn't want to give up.
Flu jab day today, I hope it works this year.

Morning...may be off to work this morning...'poised' for action...urghhhhh...need more coffee first...then more coffee:D...woke to a 5.1.

Good morning. Am happy with 5.9 after a 2.9 at midnight that just didn't want to give up.
Flu jab day today, I hope it works this year.
Wow that's low Lin...relieved to hear you're now back up speed...fingers crossed the flu jab works.

Cleaned the grate for the first time yesterday...urghhhhhhhhhh...no idea how I made such a hash of it...soot all over the hearth...possibly a little too enthusiastic😱.
It's a lovely job isn't it. Worth it though.

It's a lovely job isn't it. Worth it though.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww...an awful job Lin...but...so worth it...lit the fire...Harry plonked himself in front of it...I sat down watching it...just for a few minutes (well that was the plan)...fell fast asleep...woke up at 1am...might save it for the weekends.

Morning everyone, 6.2 for me today which I'm pleased with as I was sitting at 5.3 before bed so had to have a couple of biscuits last night. Off to my first consultant appointment today 🙂
Have a good day folks x

Morning everyone, 6.2 for me today which I'm pleased with as I was sitting at 5.3 before bed so had to have a couple of biscuits last night. Off to my first consultant appointment today 🙂
Have a good day folks x
Good luck with your appointment Tally.

Back