Group 7-day waking average?

I've fixed the bed.🙂

I read somewhere that even people without D.B can get a morning spike with readings in the sevens. It is because your body releases sugar to get you out of bed in the mornings. The readings that count are your 3 monthly check.

I read somewhere that even people without D.B can get a morning spike with readings in the sevens. It is because your body releases sugar to get you out of bed in the mornings. The readings that count are your 3 monthly check.
I'd say it's a combination of meter readings, and the three monthly check that give you the most accurate picture. True, a lot of people get the Dawn Phenomenon, and it's no good beating yourself up about high readings in the morning if they've been fine every other part of the day. On the other hand, a 3 month Hb A1c can come out perfect when in fact, because it's an average, you can have been bucketing between spiking too high and having lows, which isn't good for anybody's long term complication-free prospects.

My brothers HbA1c is 42 (he is type 2) but his readings vary from 3.2 to over 12 every day, which is, of course, not good. But he thinks it's fine.🙄

My brothers HbA1c is 42 (he is type 2) but his readings vary from 3.2 to over 12 every day, which is, of course, not good. But he thinks it's fine.🙄
It's thought that widely fluctuating levels may do more damage than sustained higher levels, as the ups and downs place more stress on the blood vessels, particularly the tiny ones in eyes and kidneys :(

As I recall, a perfectly healthy, active person eating sensibly will vary in levels between 3.3-6.0 mmol/l. Hypos are possible in cases of extreme effort e.g. marathon running, but unusual. Dawn Phenomenon should not cause levels to rise above 6.0 in such people, because the body is able to regulate levels by releasing glucagon or insulin in minute amounts to achieve it - with diabetes, you simply can't mimic that level of fine-tuning with injections or a pump. For those type 2s who have managed to reduce their insulin-resistance, perhaps with weight loss and exercise, and who also adhere to a diet that does not overtax their system, something pretty close to a non-diabetic can be achieved 🙂

in advance of my 2 month Review on Friday and, being the sad git that I am, I've been graphing my BGs. There are fluctuations between waking, daytime and evening - invariably lower during the daytime but higher at nights. the range could be as high as 8 mmol/L !!

From the graph I can see no point in increasing my Humulin-I as I think it's pretty much given up the ghost by tea-time anyway. On Jun 30th I had a BG of 21.1 and was taking 16u of Humulin-I ...since then my BG average has come down to 10.7 (virtually halved) while my Humulin dose has doubled. TBH, I don't think there has been much point in increasing it much above 26u as the 8u difference has made just 1mmol/L difference in BGs (26u=11.7 - 34u=10.7).

My logic tells me that I need to do something of an evening to stop raising the BGs (not eating perhaps?? :confused:). Personally, I think it's time to drop the Humulin back down to 26u and introduce something else to counter meals and the evening rises.

Opinions?

in advance of my 2 month Review on Friday and, being the sad git that I am, I've been graphing my BGs. There are fluctuations between waking, daytime and evening - invariably lower during the daytime but higher at nights. the range could be as high as 8 mmol/L !!

From the graph I can see no point in increasing my Humulin-I as I think it's pretty much given up the ghost by tea-time anyway. On Jun 30th I had a BG of 21.1 and was taking 16u of Humulin-I ...since then my BG average has come down to 10.7 (virtually halved) while my Humulin dose has doubled. TBH, I don't think there has been much point in increasing it much above 26u as the 8u difference has made just 1mmol/L difference in BGs (26u=11.7 - 34u=10.7).

My logic tells me that I need to do something of an evening to stop raising the BGs (not eating perhaps?? :confused:). Personally, I think it's time to drop the Humulin back down to 26u and introduce something else to counter meals and the evening rises.

Opinions?
Jonsi...can't give you any advice...still a novice...not even sure what Humulin is?...only just managing to get my numbers down to a point where hoping my GP will accept I don't need to increase my medication at my next review...will be working tomorrow and Friday...so wanted to wish you good luck before I dash off to work tomorrow...hope your review is all positive.

Opinions?
Hi Jonsi. Sorry, I don't have enough experience to help you. Is Humulin-l a mixed insulin ?

Good morning folks. 7.8 again :( . Got my first appt with Urology today.

Bore da pawb... after an acceptable 8.6 before bed, I got a 10.1 this morning :(

Hi Jonsi. Sorry, I don't have enough experience to help you. Is Humulin-l a mixed insulin ?
Hi Ljc... Don't think it's mixed. it's a long acting insulin (12 hours).

Opinions?
My first observation is that the gliclazide probably is not doing very much except encouraging you to gain weight and perhaps not allowing the insulin to work effectively on its own. I would personally see what happens without it. This would then give a true feeling for what is happening with the humulin. You seem to be in a half way house between pills and insulin, the Metformin can easily be continued or replaced with a GLP-1 (side effects). The advantage of GLP-1 would be suppression of appetite.

Dzień dobry moi najbardziej pachnące kwiaty na cukrzycę. This morning I check in with blood sugars of 3.9mmols

Many years ago. Centuries ago long before the Beatles even had a single fan oh there was a man called Mozart and he was a keyboard man.

Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth for you this morning because you are all (Turkish) Delightful 🙂

Opinions?

What time times are you taking your Isophane? Although it is supposedly a long acting insulin it loses most of its effect after about 7 hours. It may be that if you are only taking a morning dose then you double up with an evening one too.

Now I have my libre the two scores on the doors this morning are 4.1 from libre and 6.4 from finger. Trend overnight looks like I had a couple of fairly low dips at about 1am and another about 4am.
How long should the libre take before it is fully 'settled in' as it's been 13 hours and the two readings are still miles apart?

Morning...5.8 this morning...my first waking 5...delighted with that🙂

Sorry Jonsi but I can't be much help as still a total novice at this bloomin' thing. Hope you get everything sorted though and it all settles down quickly.

Back