Forum Upgrade Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mike

This may, or may not be an issue.

I was using the Forum Search functionality (I know,.... radical!), hoping to find that wonderful, straight talking, post made by @mikeyB relating to the Coronavirus , answering folks' concerns about it, relating to a diabetes status.

I searched on "coronavirus, MikeyB and newer that 1/1/2020" with and without other words, with no results returned. Then I searched on "ebola, MikeyB and newer that 1/1/2020" (as I recall Mikey suggesting folks worry more about Ebola than Coronavirus at this time). Still no results.

Now, I guess, MikeyB's post could have been removed for a plethora of reasons, by Mikey or a Mod/Admin, or I could just be ineffective in using the search function, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

And, if anyone happens to find Mikey's excellent post, could they please copy a link to it to this thread. I would be exceptionally grateful.

I was using the Forum Search functionality (I know,.... radical!), hoping to find that wonderful, straight talking, post made by @mikeyB relating to the Coronavirus , answering folks' concerns about it, relating to a diabetes status.

I searched on "coronavirus, MikeyB and newer that 1/1/2020" with and without other words, with no results returned. Then I searched on "ebola, MikeyB and newer that 1/1/2020" (as I recall Mikey suggesting folks worry more about Ebola than Coronavirus at this time). Still no results.

Now, I guess, MikeyB's post could have been removed for a plethora of reasons, by Mikey or a Mod/Admin, or I could just be ineffective in using the search function, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

And, if anyone happens to find Mikey's excellent post, could they please copy a link to it to this thread. I would be exceptionally grateful.

Checking it out, I get the impression that they have lost the search indexing for everything before last Thursday.

Yesterday I put this link for someone I was replying to,
As I often do I shortened it
test-review-adjust
as I have just now and , well as you can see , it don’t work anymore.
I have not tried any other links

I‘ve disabled the sharing buttons. Though posts on the forum are available to both registered users and ‘lurkers’ (which is one of the strengths of the forum) so you should remember that whatever you are posting and sharing here is public.

A good move, ed&d, thank you.

Yesterday I put this link for someone I was replying to,
As I often do I shortened it
test-review-adjust
as I have just now and , well as you can see , it don’t work anymore.
I have not tried any other links

It looks like the links are handled slightly differently by the text editor in the new version @Ljc

The old one created link tags that wrapped around a copy of the text, the new system just uses the URL itself, so by removing the extra sections the link breaks.

The best way to offer short links now would be to use the ‘create link’ button in the toolbar I think. It looks like two links of a chain in between the text size tools and the image button. It allows you to paste the URL, and then separately specify the text that will be displayed.

test review adjust

Reactions: Ljc

Yes it seems like the search database may need to be rebuilt by us folks (or search engine bots) gradually visiting all the pages of the forum. I’ll use this as an experiment to se if my theory is correct.

It looks like the links are handled slightly differently by the text editor in the new version @Ljc

The old one created link tags that wrapped around a copy of the text, the new system just uses the URL itself, so by removing the extra sections the link breaks.

The best way to offer short links now would be to use the ‘create link’ button in the toolbar I think. It looks like two links of a chain in between the text size tools and the image button. It allows you to paste the URL, and then separately specify the text that will be displayed.

test review adjust
Thanks Mike. You are likely to see some odd posts by by me as I practice:D

Hmmmm... right... well good news and bad news.

I found the post: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/coronavirus-unnecessary-panic.84932/

But the search tables don’t seem to have been updated by visiting the page - at least not immediately. I will ask DUK and the forum architect about this issue again (I initially raised it yesterday) to see if there is a way to restore earlier search links.

In the meantime you can use site-specific search engine queries. eg in Google if you add site:forum.diabetes.org.uk before your search words, you should get results from just the forum rather than the whole internet.

Hmmmm... right... well good news and bad news.

I found the post: https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/coronavirus-unnecessary-panic.84932/

But the search tables don’t seem to have been updated by visiting the page - at least not immediately. I will ask DUK and the forum architect about this issue again (I initially raised it yesterday) to see if there is a way to restore earlier search links.

In the meantime you can use site-specific search engine queries. eg in Google if you add site:forum.diabetes.org.uk before your search words, you should get results from just the forum rather than the whole internet.

Thanks, Mike. I thought I was losing my marbles when nothing was coming up on search.

Sorry to have created a load of work, but likely better found sooner, rather than later.

Edited to add my thanks for adding the link to Mikey's thread.

I've sent a PM to you.
WL

The search function should be working properly now. 🙂

What device are you using? I’m on an iPhone. Still can’t see any.

Just to let you know MM that a tweak is going to made so that signatures appear on mobiles.

I believe @AndBreathe is in forgien climes at the moment so is on a dffernt time zone.

Well remembered. I've been sleeping the sleep of the righteous for the last several hours. (08:24, Tuesday here now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back