Food ideas with photos

Breakfast today (and the last few days as we are now approaching autumn/winter) was raspberry porridge. I use 25g Scottish oats, 200g skimmed milk, leave it to soak whilst I do a 40 minute prebolus and then I microwave it and add 80g frozen raspberries after it’s cooked. They defrost pretty instantly in the hot porridge.

Just under 30 carbs and under 200 calories.
Seems like allot of carbs just for a bowl of porrige and some berries? As long as you like it though 🙂

Seems like allot of carbs just for a bowl of porrige and some berries? As long as you like it though 🙂
25g oats (half a portion) is 15g carbs

200ml milk is 10g carb

Berries depend which you use are a few grams in an 80g serving

200ml milk is 10g carb

Berries depend which you use are a few grams in an 80g serving
Would Unsweetened Almond Milk not be better or something similar to cows milk?

@Lucyr is using insulin so she really doesn't need to pare down her carb consumption to that level where 10g from milk makes a big difference and this also allows her to choose porridge for breakfast if she wishes, although her small portion would be perfectly reasonable for many Type 2s not using insulin. It depends on the individual of course.

Better in what sense? I don’t low carb, I don’t have an allergy to cows milk, I don’t get a spike from my porridge, it’s the ideal breakfast for me.

So this is my latest discovery, make up a sachet of sugar free jelly, 1/2 pint boiling water then 1/4 cold water then 1/4 double cream. Put in fridge to set and by some kind of wizardry it separates. Top with whipped cream and literally zero carbs ! Taste like a proper pudding, so much so that I make a batch and now the whole house seems to be snaffling them up… rude :(

Attachments

• 07099E60-2D3A-4C86-9C0C-ADFB539B7094.jpeg
    07099E60-2D3A-4C86-9C0C-ADFB539B7094.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 18
@Lucyr is using insulin so she really doesn't need to pare down her carb consumption to that level where 10g from milk makes a big difference and this also allows her to choose porridge for breakfast if she wishes, although her small portion would be perfectly reasonable for many Type 2s not using insulin. It depends on the individual of course.
Thanks @rebrascora i will add that I have experimented to find out how to make my breakfast work for me by having the same breakfast every day for a few days, and writing down the timings, weights and doses. After 5 days I’ve got it staying fairly flat, so I now prebolus by 40 minutes which works perfectly.

The reason the portion is small with a whole portion of berries added is not to keep the carbs down in particular, it’s part of my weight loss plan agreed with the dietician. I imagine some T2s would be fine with it as a breakfast, if weight isn’t a concern you could switch to whole milk rather than skimmed to help slow it down.

So this is my latest discovery, make up a sachet of sugar free jelly, 1/2 pint boiling water then 1/4 cold water then 1/4 double cream. Put in fridge to set and by some kind of wizardry it separates. Top with whipped cream and literally zero carbs ! Taste like a proper pudding, so much so that I make a batch and now the whole house seems to be snaffling them up… rude :(
For anyone who likes the look and isn't restricting carbs as much, I used to do similar as a teenager for milk intake - my mum felt it was very important, and I hated milk. I used normal jelly and about 25% boiling water to dissolve it then 75% milk. It annoyed me when it separated though :D

Gonna try this at weekend 🙂 my latest jellies I added frozen berries and they did not set at all? Maybe was too much water content with the berries? 🙂

Gonna try this at weekend 🙂 my latest jellies I added frozen berries and they did not set at all? Maybe was too much water content with the berries? 🙂
Brilliant, check out the post I just put on the general message board for planet organic if your after a sweet treat

If your fruit is quite acidic it could inhibit the setting, depending on what your setting agent is. If it is gelatin it should be OK but if a vegetarian equivalent like agar agar which doesn't set as well if acidic. In any case I usually add less water.

If your fruit is quite acidic it could inhibit the setting, depending on what your setting agent is. If it is gelatin it should be OK but if a vegetarian equivalent like agar agar which doesn't set as well if acidic. In any case I usually add less water.
They were Hartleys sugar free jelly powder 🙂

They were Hartleys sugar free jelly powder 🙂
Sets fine for me with frozen raspberries in but I do slightly reduce the amount of water I add

I use 25g Scottish oats, 200g skimmed milk, leave it to soak
Does leaving it to soak help for anything? Is it a taste/texture thing? I use about the same amount of oats maybe closer to 30g and use soya milk but for me it was causing some big numbers so I switched to Weetabix which doesn't cause any high readings.

As it's started getting cold again i mentioned the other day I want to try again with a smaller portion of oats so see if I can stay full and not get a really high number 2hrs later.

I don't like warm Weetabix, so I'd like to switch back to porridge otherwise it'll be cold Weetabix during winter and I'll be frozen before I even start work. I need a warm breakfast in winter

Does leaving it to soak help for anything? Is it a taste/texture thing? I use about the same amount of oats maybe closer to 30g and use soya milk but for me it was causing some big numbers so I switched to Weetabix which doesn't cause any high readings.

As it's started getting cold again i mentioned the other day I want to try again with a smaller portion of oats so see if I can stay full and not get a really high number 2hrs later.

I don't like warm Weetabix, so I'd like to switch back to porridge otherwise it'll be cold Weetabix during winter and I'll be frozen before I even start work. I need a warm breakfast in winter
I just find it cooks quicker if I leave it to soak during the prebolus, just needs 2 minutes to warm it through afterwards thrn

I just find it cooks quicker if I leave it to soak during the prebolus, just needs 2 minutes to warm it through afterwards thrn
Makes sense - cheers. I do hope I can find a nice balance, I'm missing porridge I want to start eating it again on a regular basis if I can.

Back